Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The P5X is here! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

...these beam-bikes were only truly better when you ran a disc wheel on them. The exposed wash of the spokes on the leading edge of the rear wheel of the bike on the now seat-tubless bike, created a bit of a mess!

I have not found any evidence of this in any of my wheel or frame aero testing. The Dimond guys can probably refute this theory too.
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
30mph, afaik. aren't all these tests done at 30

Actually, no. For example, the 3T Exploro testing was done at a lower speed, and the results still reported in grams :-/

Oh, did you prefer 7w @ 20mph ;)

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
30mph, afaik. aren't all these tests done at 30

Actually, no. For example, the 3T Exploro testing was done at a lower speed, and the results still reported in grams :-/

Oh, did you prefer 7w @ 20mph ;)

Nope. CdA. Keep it simple.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't buy it on a fire sale, ever.

...unless I would be stupid enough to run a bicycle museum

or fit it with a motor and gas tank.

BryanD wrote:
If this bike was $9000, you would see a different tone on Slowtwitch. I've never seen so many people butthurt over a bike!
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen it live? I thought it was pretty lumpy and droopy until I saw it at the bike shop a week ago. Live, it is pretty damn hot looking. It's a very advanced bike, more advanced than I need or want, but it's a really hot bike. The Cervelo rep tried to make the case that it's faster, but really it's only faster than the P5 with gels, bars, and three bottles on it.

I'm not the customer for the P5x. I'm the customer, for the just about as fast, Felt IA16, but the P5x is a huge advancement over my bike. I don't want one, but I applaud brand C for going out on the limb with this bike.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
sharkbaitguy wrote:
Perhaps it's jealousy for those that are willing to spend the disposable income on such a purchase or perhaps it's frustration because everyone wanted/wants the next best thing, but can't afford it, or both. Seems like a lot of folks were waiting for the upgrade to the the P5 and now that the price has been raised everyone has their panties in a bunch.

Ot I suppose people like me who were hoping for the next step up in speed and aerodynamic performance as opposed to a step up in other aspects which aren't as meaningful for me in my use case. And I'm not a Cervelo rider but I appreciate what they make and have think the P5 and the previous P4 were just incredible bikes. This one leaves me still underwhelmed.

I saw the bike in person and talked to the Cervelo rep while I was in Kona. Agree it looks much better in person than in pictures. Since I primarily do OLY distance I don't see any need to move "up" from my P4 since it appears a lot of the "upgrades" to the design of this bike focus on integrated storage. The rep told me 8 pros used this bike for Kona but I don't know who they were and if any of them shared feedback on their social media.....but would be interested if anyone has this info. I'm a big Cervelo fan (some of it due to their great customer service) but would....1) need to be a frequent half/full event participant, 2) have an outdated current bike, and 3) have the discretionary budget to consider this bike. Regarding the P4, I asked the rep why the model was discontinued and not continued in the lineup. He said the designation "4" had/has a negative connotation in Asia and they couldn't sell the model. Curious if anyone ever heard of this?
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Regarding the P4, I asked the rep why the model was discontinued and not continued in the lineup. He said the designation "4" had/has a negative connotation in Asia and they couldn't sell the model. Curious if anyone ever heard of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...s_in_Chinese_culture

Number 4 (四; accounting 肆; pinyin sì) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" (死 pinyin ). Due to that, many numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g., Nokia cell phones (before the Lumia 640, there is no series containing a 4 in the name), Palm[citation needed] PDAs, Canon PowerShot G's series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor. (Compare with the Western practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.) In Hong Kong, some high-rise residential buildings omit all floor numbers with "4", e.g., 4, 14, 24, 34 and all 40–49 floors, in addition to not having a 13th floor.[10] As a result, a building whose highest floor is number 50 may actually have only 35 physical floors.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Regarding the P4, I asked the rep why the model was discontinued and not continued in the lineup. He said the designation "4" had/has a negative connotation in Asia and they couldn't sell the model. Curious if anyone ever heard of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...s_in_Chinese_culture

Number 4 (四; accounting 肆; pinyin sì) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" (死 pinyin ). Due to that, many numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g., Nokia cell phones (before the Lumia 640, there is no series containing a 4 in the name), Palm[citation needed] PDAs, Canon PowerShot G's series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor. (Compare with the Western practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.) In Hong Kong, some high-rise residential buildings omit all floor numbers with "4", e.g., 4, 14, 24, 34 and all 40–49 floors, in addition to not having a 13th floor.[10] As a result, a building whose highest floor is number 50 may actually have only 35 physical floors.

Thanks for info. I googled as well and read up about it. Never been to Asia...had no clue. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting bit on the number 4, especially as a former P4 owner (editorial--P4 was/is my favorite TT bike of all time)! I see by the number of posts to this thread I am waaaaay behind the times. I was in a local shop the other day and saw a P5X on display. I didn't even know a new Cervelo tri bike was in the works. I'm sure every bit of this thing has been deconstructed and debated already, but I was surprised to see the disc brakes. Curious...from a functional standpoint, disc brakes seem like overkill on a tri bike. Do discs improve aerodynamics? From a practical standpoint, it also seems like it introduces potential frustration to everyday riding as disc rotors inevitably get bent and you get the annoying "ting, ting" as it contacts the pad. I'm constantly truing the rotors on my mountain bikes, mainly because the sound drives me nuts. That would suck to listen to that on a long IM training ride!. Anyway, I'm sure they work great and truing rotors isn't a big deal. Just seems like a curious choice given the application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
sharkbaitguy wrote:
Perhaps it's jealousy for those that are willing to spend the disposable income on such a purchase or perhaps it's frustration because everyone wanted/wants the next best thing, but can't afford it, or both. Seems like a lot of folks were waiting for the upgrade to the the P5 and now that the price has been raised everyone has their panties in a bunch.

Ot I suppose people like me who were hoping for the next step up in speed and aerodynamic performance as opposed to a step up in other aspects which aren't as meaningful for me in my use case. And I'm not a Cervelo rider but I appreciate what they make and have think the P5 and the previous P4 were just incredible bikes. This one leaves me still underwhelmed.

I saw the bike in person and talked to the Cervelo rep while I was in Kona. Agree it looks much better in person than in pictures. Since I primarily do OLY distance I don't see any need to move "up" from my P4 since it appears a lot of the "upgrades" to the design of this bike focus on integrated storage. The rep told me 8 pros used this bike for Kona but I don't know who they were and if any of them shared feedback on their social media.....but would be interested if anyone has this info. I'm a big Cervelo fan (some of it due to their great customer service) but would....1) need to be a frequent half/full event participant, 2) have an outdated current bike, and 3) have the discretionary budget to consider this bike. Regarding the P4, I asked the rep why the model was discontinued and not continued in the lineup. He said the designation "4" had/has a negative connotation in Asia and they couldn't sell the model. Curious if anyone ever heard of this?

Precisely the reason that you will never see a Garmin Fenix 4. The Fenix 5 will follow up the Fenix 3.
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
What continues to confuse me is why make such an expensive bike that doesn't provide much benefit to anyone who knows how to properly set up their bike for a race. The fastest guys and gals tend to make pretty good choices and there is a lot of data out there about what to do and not to do, a lot of which comes from Cervelo.

This bike isn't for "the fastest guys and gals." (though they may ride it because it's probably still pretty fast, probably). It isn't for people who know how to property set up their bike for a race. It's for the affluent Ironman demographic. It's for people who go into a shop and say, "I signed up for an Ironman, give me the best bike." And it will be the best bike for them. Everything about the bike is "easy." Fitting. Shipping. Storage. It's comfy (I assume). It brakes really well (I assume). It's decently fast. It's distinctive.

To us, here, that shift in corporate strategy is Cervelo's version of Dylan going electric at Newport. Or Porsche introducing the Cayenne. We're conditioned to looking at new Cervelo TT bikes through a soda straw, where the only thing on the other end is CdA. Those days are gone. But fortunately, all is not lost except for die-hard fanbois. There are others who aren't going electric. TriRig, Cube, etc.

Exactly this.

I just wonder how big that segment is. I think the biggest effect from the p5x will come from more p3 and p5 sales. Now, a p5 seems relatively cheap :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 also sounds the same as death in Japanese.
Quote Reply

Prev Next