Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Cannondale [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Barchettaman wrote:

The problem I had was that, unlike Avid BB5 or BB7, the Spyres mount without conical washers. So if the post mounts are slightly off the caliper is nigh-on impossible to centre over the rotor.

Unless I am missing something, that is amazingly bad.

There is simply no way that most bike frames will have perfect disc brake mounting surfaces (heck, many--maybe most--frames don't even have properly aligned dropouts !) so I can't imagine having disc brakes where you cannot (via conical washers) adjust the caliper position.

I'm not sure conical washers are needed unless something is really off. There is enough of a slot on the caliper itself to adjust the brake to get you close and then the pistons themselves can be adjusted separately to deal with any offset that is left (actually a pretty nice setup). Now, if you have a mounting surface that is not square with the rotor then yeah that's crap, but even with conical washers that's going to be crap to setup.

Like Tom I have Spyres on one of my bikes and find the setup just fine. Also, the brakes work pretty damn good in the dry and wet.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'user error' is often a factor when I am wrenching on my own bikes. It could well be my own mistake, but I couldn't get them working properly.

Ah well. I've got the Avid BB5 brakes nicely dialled in now.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, no beard. The data is fairly clear on this one, it's optional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkmCLOjk2h8

He hasn't shaved his legs either yet. Hippy.

Given that he's riding oversize pulleys and speedplay pedals he's probably paying attention to detail.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Last edited by: georged: Oct 6, 16 4:10
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Sparty1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sparty1989 wrote:
Staer wrote:
Oh weird.
It seems they have dropped a few models? There was definitely a Black model for $10k.

--

Aaand I found it. Hi-Mod Black Inc.: $10,660 USD.
http://www.cannondale.com/...ee-93e9-816d3986164e

Write up on AeroGeeks describing pricing: http://aerogeeks.com/...le-slice-first-look/

Google the model, many bike shops selling it for around that price.

Over the past year, Cannondale has really dropped the MSRP of the various Slice models. The aerogeeks story is from 2014, and I think the prices they list have been out-of-date for the past year (I think Cannondale dropped Slice prices last fall). The Hi-Mod DA has gone from ~8,000 (Fall 2014) to ~5,200 (Fall 2015) to ~4,500 (Fall 2016).

On the Nytro website, they list the Ultimate for $7,000 (but no availability). Not sure who is currently trying to sell an Ultimate for $10,660. I did a quick Google search and I couldn't find anyone with an Ultimate in stock for that price. If I had to guess, I think the new bike might be the new "Ultimate" model from Cannondale.

Its the Black, not the Ultimate. Cdale still shows it on the landing page but the link has been mooted.

http://www.cannondale.com/...e-93e9-816d3986164e#
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:

Its the Black, not the Ultimate. Cdale still shows it on the landing page but the link has been mooted.

I've been browsing for a new bike. The Cannondale website has been a wreck recently.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
'user error' is often a factor when I am wrenching on my own bikes. It could well be my own mistake, but I couldn't get them working properly.

Ah well. I've got the Avid BB5 brakes nicely dialled in now.

'user error' is a factor for everyone, as we all have our moments. ;)

The spyres are nice but an issue I found with mine is that due to the dual lever design it makes the caliper very wide. This is going to cause issues with some hubs and mine came darn close. When I had the front centered, without offsetting the pistons, I had ~1mm clearance on the spokes. I actually had to offset my front caliper as far to the NDS and then adjust the pistons to get even brake pad contact. Even then I am barely looking at 2mm of clearance.

I had BB7s on my Kona back in 2000ish, I really preferred them to my v-brakes; however, the dual piston setup of the Spyre really is a lot nicer and I found it a bit easier to setup. Stinks it didn't workout for you, but glad you found a substitute that works well.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

The Industry just sat around a big table and decided that now was the time to push disc brakes into the triathlon market; how hard can it be to make MAMILs buy more sh1t?

Yeah, it really doesn't work like that...but enjoy your conspiracy theories.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than the disc brakes, I'm surprised there's not more love for what looks like a modern update of the P4, influenced by someone who was involved with the original P4.

And it's possible this thing will have a rim brake option.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little surprised at the apparent lack of any integrated storage. Seems to go squarely against current market trends. Genius move that attracts the minimalists, or potentially fatal flaw that knocks them off the consideration list of most long-format racers?

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Other than the disc brakes, I'm surprised there's not more love for what looks like a modern update of the P4, influenced by someone who was involved with the original P4.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as well about the P4 similarities...although, I would like to see what it looks like in a normal person sized frame , since all the pics are of the "Sasquatch" sized frame ;-)

Full hydro rim brakes would make it a pretty sweet option IMHO and might make it my favorite of the newly revealed bikes. So far the one I like most is the Cube...not sure why, but maybe it's because it's how they dropped the seatstays so far that they remind me of elevated chainstays ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Sparty1989 wrote:
Staer wrote:
Oh weird.
It seems they have dropped a few models? There was definitely a Black model for $10k.

--

Aaand I found it. Hi-Mod Black Inc.: $10,660 USD.
http://www.cannondale.com/...ee-93e9-816d3986164e

Write up on AeroGeeks describing pricing: http://aerogeeks.com/...le-slice-first-look/

Google the model, many bike shops selling it for around that price.

Over the past year, Cannondale has really dropped the MSRP of the various Slice models. The aerogeeks story is from 2014, and I think the prices they list have been out-of-date for the past year (I think Cannondale dropped Slice prices last fall). The Hi-Mod DA has gone from ~8,000 (Fall 2014) to ~5,200 (Fall 2015) to ~4,500 (Fall 2016).

On the Nytro website, they list the Ultimate for $7,000 (but no availability). Not sure who is currently trying to sell an Ultimate for $10,660. I did a quick Google search and I couldn't find anyone with an Ultimate in stock for that price. If I had to guess, I think the new bike might be the new "Ultimate" model from Cannondale.

http://www.cannondale.com/...e-93e9-816d3986164e#

Ah, you're right. Not sure why I mixed up "Black" with "Ultimate".
The link you provided appears to be an older cached version: e.g. on that link, the price of the Dura Ace DI2 Hi-Mod is 7990 (2014 price), whereas on the current US website it's listed as 4500. Seems like Cannondale needs to do some cleanup on their website.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Sparty1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cannondale needs to do some cleanup on their website

agreed. there seem to be a lot of dead links. I hope / assume that is in prep for their new launches. this new Slice, if there is a rim brake version with a good price. that would go on my list. Cdale is a great company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

+1. It's a P4 without (presumably) the stopping issues. Discs might be overkill, though.

I'm firmly in the minimalist camp. If I was looking for an all-round tri bike that didn't make me look like a total dork in sprint and oly races (ahem, most of the bikes released in the last couple of weeks), this would be a good option.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

If they offer this with rim brakes I'd consider picking one up provided they offer it in C-dale green :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost 10k for a di2 build without carbon wheels....they better do some more market evaluation and re-vamp their price list
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I'm a little surprised at the apparent lack of any integrated storage. Seems to go squarely against current market trends. Genius move that attracts the minimalists, or potentially fatal flaw that knocks them off the consideration list of most long-format racers?

The obvious solution some of these bike makers haven't figured out yet is to offer minimalist frames with bolts all over the frame for people to add as much storage or bottles as they want. Then the frame builder also makes the storage solutions in house so they fit perfectly and match all the color schemes of the bike. And if you don't use the bolt, one of those slim plastic caps that covers the bolt hole, color matched to the frame. You want lime green storage on the top tube, above the bb, behind the seatpost, and in front of the downtube trailing the front wheel to match your lime green C-dale? Here it is for $25 per item (profit!) Don't want it? Don't buy it. Want it sometimes and not others? Just remove it. Want the new P5x beam bike but don't want that pot belly? Remove it. Why in the world would you build that as part of the frame forever when the same thing could be done with a couple of bolts and some plastic? You could have the same frame platform and modify the heck out of it for whatever you want to do with it. You could essentially have the Andean in full aero from bolt-ons looking the same from 100 feet and nobody could tell the difference. And then also sell a heck of a lot more frames to people that don't want all that stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
Almost 10k for a di2 build without carbon wheels....they better do some more market evaluation and re-vamp their price list

As has been pointed out, that's the old Slice, not the new one. Also if you go into an actual Cannondale dealer right now, the prices are much, much lower than that. The Ultegra Di2 model is around $3K.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. with all the craziness going on with other bikes, the more i look at this one, the more i love the simplicity....and of course that paint job. straight fire!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't actually think they are well enough organised to sit around a table together; these are the same companies that tried to simplify the BB standard from BSA/Italian...to how many types now

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlin wrote:
trail wrote:

+1. It's a P4 without (presumably) the stopping issues. Discs might be overkill, though.

I'm firmly in the minimalist camp. If I was looking for an all-round tri bike that didn't make me look like a total dork in sprint and oly races (ahem, most of the bikes released in the last couple of weeks), this would be a good option.

If the bike has similar aerodynamics as the P4 (I wonder why they didn't put an integrated storage solution similar to the P4 bottle though), Cannondale might propel themselves into the spotlight tomorrow. Without Gatorskins and with a better frame and aero setup, Andy Potts might just about gap the ~5 mins he lost to Frodeno and Kienle on the bike last year and duke it out with Frodeno on the run. Should be interesting tomorrow ...
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heather Jackson is riding a regular Cannondale Slice at Kona 2016

[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/...zpsshlwevj2.jpg.html][/url]

Does this mean Potts Cannondale is a one type prototype?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word is he (Potts) is riding his old rim brake version tomorrow.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was also an instagram post by from one of the mechanics from ceramic speed saying that the bike should never have been photographed and that he didn't have the time to make the call at the time for them not to photograph it.

I'm also assuming that he isn't racing on it due to the neutral wheel support offered. They will obviously only be carrying rim brake options. Good luck to those cervelo and diamondback riders.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [alexholbrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange - there must be better times and places to do stealthy undercover testing than Kona the week before the world championships.

I see the neutral support argument, but I can also imagine some calls from Cervelo's lawyers to Cannondale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
Strange - there must be better times and places to do stealthy undercover testing than Kona the week before the world championships.

At least they painted it a low key color that wouldn't attract a lot of attention. đŸ™„

Last edited by: gary p: Oct 7, 16 20:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next