Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Let me tell you that Dave has informed me that he blocks your posts so all your efforts are never seen my him. .

Frank Day

Curious. How are you seeing the posts, if Dave is not forwarding them (seeing them) to you for a response?

I still do not believe Frank is still banned.

The best a ban can do is block an IP. So if one uses a different IP, one can see posts.

I have never sent Frank a ST post.

Oh FFS. A ban means you can't log in. You can't post drivel anything if you're not logged in. Frank can however surf the forums as a not logged in or "guest" user. Is that really so hard to grasp?

Dah

This is starting to get very funny now. Waiting for screams of ‘fake news’ from Dave...

Frankie boy, make sure to send a witty, condescending and pointless reply to Dave for him to post :-)
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Dec 3, 17 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JCTriguy posted: “.... I got a temp ban for baiting him, he got the lifetime ban. Now his only outlet is posting through a crazy old guy with more time and money than he knows what to do with.”

So, let me get this straight you are proudly posting here that you are a troll??? And, had some success so you have continued the practice???? Let me tell you that Dave has informed me that he blocks your posts so all your efforts are never seen my him. Smarter than he appears to you it would appear. He told me he has blocked you so only has seen the stuff that I have responded to. At least Dave seems to be keeping you off the streets, a benefit to society it would seem, but what you do has zero effect on him.

Frank Day

Not a troll, rather someone who executed a strategy to cleanse a forum of a useless troll/snake oil salesman. You got a temp ban and were given explicit reasons for the ban. You came back and immediately continued with your brand of ‘discussion’. Then you got a permanent ban. Sounds like you’re a real smart fellow...

I’m well aware that Dave blocks my posts. Not sure that makes him smart. Sounds more like sticking his head in the sand, something he is really good at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I sure basically only see 175 at races.

Not that you're at all interested in actual data, but we're running in the neighborhood of single digit percentage of 175 or longer cranks on our Custom Studio Tri bike purchases.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

Not that you're at all interested in actual data, but we're running in the neighborhood of single digit percentage of 175 or longer cranks on our Custom Studio Tri bike purchases.

So before you sell a bike do you do crank length as part of the fit? If so what is the data on height vs crank length? What testing data do you have?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, if you can come up with a single bike fit professional who isn't recommending shorter than 175mm cranks to the vast majority of their triathlete customers, I will be shocked (and ask who it is so I can make sure we're not referring to them.)
The vast majority of our Custom Studio bikes are sold to people who have had pre-purchase fits. 175 or longer cranks are pretty close to a non statistically significant percentage of those sales.

FWIW, your "height vs crank length" question pretty conclusively demonstrates that you don't even understand the point that you have (supposedly) been trying to jam down people's throats on this monstrosity of a thread. Which is hilarious, so thank you for that.

M

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the old saying about wrestling a pig? You both get dirty, but the pig likes it....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup. I need a shower now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
fredly wrote:
Quote:

So before you sell a bike do you do crank length as part of the fit? If so what is the data on height vs crank length? What testing data do you have?

Hmmm, I suggest a simple google-search. No need for deep data mining, Wikipedia has all you ever wanted on "height vs crank length".
No need for a PhD background in Biomechanics.

Otherwise I find the objections of the "fitters" on this thread also a bit disingenuous, as there is no such a thing as bad publicity....
The more convoluted and outlandish the hypotheses are, the more people think they can't figure that out by themselves.

I remember my crank-length "AHA!" moment from building my first Tri bike from scratch in the late 80's, using a dumb trainer as a "fit-tool" in a cold basement.
Had two crank sets in my parts-bin to chose from for my build:
One was a 175 and the other an old 160.
Guess which one felt more comfortable and allowed me to crank the trainer up to a higher whine in the aero position?
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 3, 17 23:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Dave, if you can come up with a single bike fit professional who isn't recommending shorter than 175mm cranks to the vast majority of their triathlete customers, I will be shocked (and ask who it is so I can make sure we're not referring to them.)
The vast majority of our Custom Studio bikes are sold to people who have had pre-purchase fits. 175 or longer cranks are pretty close to a non statistically significant percentage of those sales.

FWIW, your "height vs crank length" question pretty conclusively demonstrates that you don't even understand the point that you have (supposedly) been trying to jam down people's throats on this monstrosity of a thread. Which is hilarious, so thank you for that.

M

Again, you just want to draw negative conclusions, rather than provide any data as to what you have done. The norm for this issue. Just attack rather than provide any facts.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Again, you just want to draw negative conclusions, rather than provide any data as to what you have done. The norm for this issue. Just attack rather than provide any facts.

You keep spewing "data data data" then you two conveniently ignore the actual data in favor of "eyeball tests" and misinterpret studies based on ACTUAL DATA.

This would be maddening if it wasn't so funny. You love to call people snowflakes, yet you fail to see the irony of that in all this.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

You keep spewing "data data data" then you two conveniently ignore the actual data in favor of "eyeball tests" and misinterpret studies based on ACTUAL DATA.

This would be maddening if it wasn't so funny. You love to call people snowflakes, yet you fail to see the irony of that in all this.

What are you talking about. I have provided ALL of my data. Given links to where I have if for like a decade. Folks can draw their own conclusions. This is actual data.
But has one fitter or anyone provided any data so others can draw whatever conclusions they want? NOPE!

So yep, I see the irony in this as seems to be usually the case with posts. Opinions, but no data.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, 2 quick questions :

did you actually not know Frank was banned from posting on ST ?

if you had to guess at this point, what length crank do you think you'll end up on for 2018 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Derekl wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What are you talking about. I have provided ALL of my data. Given links to where I have if for like a decade. Folks can draw their own conclusions. This is actual data.
But has one fitter or anyone provided any data so others can draw whatever conclusions they want? NOPE!

So yep, I see the irony in this as seems to be usually the case with posts. Opinions, but no data.

You can provide all the data from your strange protocol that you'd like. Until you and Frank learn to actually analyze it, it's worthless.

"Eyeball test". "This isn't a research study, so I don't have to know how to analyze the numbers properly". LOL
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

if you had to guess at this point, what length crank do you think you'll end up on for 2018 ?

Lots of lots have been banned, and have rejoined ST.

As I posted, Franks ST profile does not say he is still banned, but I have no idea what Dan's process is. Can you prove he is still banned?

If I had to guess at this second, 150mm since why not try something probably the fitters will say is wrong.
But as I am now doing TT testing on 150 and 175's, and the 150's, even in PC mode have given me more power, ...

But, I will change around based on data, and test results, and having fun trying new stuff.

But, I need a lot more data. Will lower the bars 10mm this morning and test again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:

As I posted, Franks ST profile does not say he is still banned, but I have no idea what Dan's process is. Can you prove he is still banned?

If I had to guess at this second, 150mm since why not try something probably the fitters will say is wrong.
But as I am now doing TT testing on 150 and 175's, and the 150's, even in PC mode have given me more power, ...

But, I will change around based on data, and test results, and having fun trying new stuff.

But, I need a lot more data. Will lower the bars 10mm this morning and test again.

On the first topic, if he is not banned why do you need to post for him ? Why does he say "I wish I could participate myself" or something of the likes.

On the second topic, with 150mm, how much have you raised you seat and bars from the point you got fit a while back ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Wow, over 10000 views, and 600 posts. Wonder how this tread stacks up against the all time views and posts. :)

Thanks to everyone for making this possible.

I'm not sure 10K views and 600 posts means what you think it does.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
watching the tortured rationals for bumping this thread have been my favorite part of this ongoing disaster
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Dave get paid by the page view / click? Is this his retirement income source?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
marcag wrote:

On the first topic, if he is not banned why do you need to post for him ? Why does he say "I wish I could participate myself" or something of the likes.

On the second topic, with 150mm, how much have you raised you seat and bars from the point you got fit a while back ?

I said from the data I can see on Franks profile, it does not say he is banned. So that is why I am asking, how does anyone know for a FACT that anyone is banned?

Second, on my velotron, going to the 150mm limited how high I could get the seat raised. But, when I went to a M3 seat, it was much taller so now have things correct.
When I ride the 175's, I am at 840mm. When I ride the 150's now, I have it correct at 865mm. I can sure tell now when the seat is too low? Hope this does not mean it is too high. :(

As far as the bars, I am playing with them. Never had them 100% since for me, it is a back issue. So have been having them higher than most folks have, but I just need to be comfortable. I have been riding at 20mm down. Then this morning at 30mm down. Might try them at 40mm down tomorrow. Trying to see if I can still be comfortable, and produce power for me at 80mm down. But will take it one step at a time and collect the data.

I still am, for me, amazed that at 150mm cranks, I continue to produce more power on my 5 mile TT loop than on 175's. Mentally I want the 175's to be better, but so far, have not found any test data for me that shows they are better. About the only thing I see is on my ramp to 300 watts. One the 175's I have the leverage to get there. But on the 150''s I tend to die around 270 watts and have to stand up the rest of the way to 300 watts.

The other question I keep asking myself, if 150's, meaning real short, seem to be with the data a good fit for me, I just ask why do most others not ride equal if not shorter than this? My only answer is most folks do not spend the time, or money, to see if short cranks would help them with a better fit produce more power. Just look at this thread, have many tried much shorter, and then collected repeatable data on them? Not that I have seen.

Oh well, I only started this thread to show others what I was doing. Never tried to say it was "right". But as usual, it seems to turn into a mob attack that of course nothing I, or Frank Day does, can maybe have some food for thought for others. :)

I do find it interesting that Dan has elected to not even make a comment. I guess some of us, even when we get older, are willing to consider outside the box, meaning, what if we were in the wrong box to start with. AGAIN, I am not sure what the box is, for me, yet. Will take a few races to see if all this testing has been worth it. BUT, sure has made riding on the trainer a LOT more fun this off season!!!!

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Does Dave get paid by the page view / click? Is this his retirement income source?

Wish it was. Sure a lot easier than moving sand in buckets I have done the last 2 days.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Wow, over 10000 views, and 600 posts. Wonder how this tread stacks up against the all time views and posts. :)

I do not think it means anything more than the numbers. I will let folks like you decide if the glass if half full or half empty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I do not think it means anything more than the numbers. I will let folks like you decide if the glass if half full or half empty.

I still don't think you get it.

Imagine OJ bragging about 140 million viewers tuning in for his double murder trial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I still don't think you get it.

Imagine OJ bragging about 140 million viewers tuning in for his double murder trial.

There is nothing to get. You might have an opinion, but thats it, your opinion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

oh God, now I feel so dirty for the occasional click on this thread to check out how the train wreck was going. it never occurred to me that this simple innocuous action would only fuel the ego trip

PS: yes, i also see the irony that this post adds to the count. oy vey!
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Dec 4, 17 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

So, being a Kardashian is something one should aspire to...?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next