Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You are all snowflakes."

"I can't believe Dan allows all these personal attacks to go on."

Just LOL. These threads are half the reason I hang around Slowtwitch. The lack of self awareness combined with self confidence is the most entertaining thing I read most days.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
So after another poor bike season, being hit by Frank Day again, being off season, looking for a new bike, looking at bike fit, etc. I have started, again, to try and gather real data as to what crank length is best for me, a very tall person at 6'5. Everyone has their opinions, but as an engineer, I want numbers, and so far have not been able to find anyone who, IMO, has done some real testing.

Frank has always told me I all the test equipment needed with my Velotrons, adjustable cranks, etc.

So, you have seen my one post working on bike fit and have gotten some great inputs. But none of them talk about bike cranks since basically no one spends the time, or money, to do real testing!

So working with Frank, I have started to do some testing riding at 200 watts, changing RPM's from 110, 95, 80 and 65 after 10 minute blocks and recording HR to gather some data.

I have been riding basically the same 2 routines, one is a 120 watt spin 90 minute session, the other is an interval setup where I warm up with a step 160 to 300 watt, 1 minute steps, then a 150 watt 5 minute, 190 watt 5 minute, and then 4 230 watt, 10 minute with a 150 5 minute spin in between. I spin a 50/16 gear for 84 gear inches.
I have years of data on these ride on how far I have gone.

So last night I changed my powercranks, which are adjustable from 140 to 220mm, from my normal 200mm cranks to 175mm. Raised the seat 25mm and moved a tad forward, and rode my interval test. I usually ride around 20 miles in 90 minutes. (I rode like 27 twice which I made a mistake and changed the gear to 50/18).

So I get on to ride this morning, and after a few seconds I say time to stop, this feels weird. But, I mentally said got to do some testing. As I was riding, it started to feel a little better. What was weird is with 200's, my rpm would be around 80. But with the 175, I was doing close to 100. My speed with the 200's was around 20 mph. With the 175, it was like 23 or so. At the end I was pretty shocked to see the results. 26.85 miles. Only one data point, but in the 50/16 gear, I have never been able to spin that fast and hold it, had such a high MPH, or ridden that far.

So, now I am asking, were these results correct? If so, .....

So, will continue to post more test results as I get them. I will probably do 2 day cycles. Will do the interval work that I did today. Then tomorrow, I will ride the same setup and do Franks HR test.

Then I will shorten another 5mm, raise seat 5mm, stay at a 50/16 gear, and test again.

Seems at some point the cranks will get too short such that I would be spinning way too high of an RPM to hold. But, shall be interesting to test and see at what point I get there.

So going to put on my 175 cranks on my race bike, do a refit, and post the video on the other thread. I will then race 2 races in October with them that I have done before, and doing with some friends. So I can compare time to past, and time to my friends.

So, do these test seem fair? Has anyone else done test like these and have test results?

Jason, this first post had the protocol I am been using to start with. What is it missing? And attached is the data I have collected to do.

What is the metric you are using to evaluate the effectiveness? You are using erg mode, therefore watts is a controlled variable. Distance covered is irrelevant in erg mode. The only thing you have left is HR, which is variable from day to day anyway.

What does "5 of 10 in aerobars" mean. You need to separate the aerobar from the non-aerobar data.

Where are you evaluating what your threshold power output is with the various crank lengths.

How are you separating fatigue effects and training effects from the HR data? i.e, you are following the same RPM progression each session, which means that you are fresher at the low rpm than the high rpm all the time.

why 10 minutes at each RPM rather than do sessions at self selected RPMs?

What is your protocol for adjusting seat height and position with changing crank lengths? Is there an actual methodology, or are you just guessing? Are you moving through a range of seat heights?

Thats just off the top of my head. You have the equipment needed, but the methodology is VERY important.

Because just calling out the snowflakes. Just amazes me they nothing better in life to do than attack others.

I posted comments from Frank Day on how the test is being used. Does that not answer any of your questions on effectiveness?

5 of 10 means when I am in the 10 minute per rpm level, I situp for the first 5 minutes, and then go into the aerobars for the last 5 minutes. I then hit the next rpm ramp,
situp for 5 minutes, then get in the bars for the last 5 minutes.

As shown in the spreadsheet, I did like the first month collecting data sitting up. It is interesting to watch, when I go into the bars, my HR I can watch go up at 5 beats.

Not doing power testing now.

Fatigue efforts. I am using various things. One, the more data I collect, the more we can see trends. I also am recording when I am sick. Recording morning HR before I get out of bed. I also am recording what my long run times are, which clearly are slower after I race. So when you see my long run times are like 1:35, I am tried from racing or being sick. If I am running 1:27, I am recovered. Still recovering from my stroller turkey trot race last week, but I ran 1:29:24, with a morning HR of 54, since I am just about recovered.

Why 10 minutes per RPM step, this is the protocol Frank has given me. Will have to let him answer.

Since I had a bike fit, I am getting much closer to a better seat height. It is leg angle, etc. But, I have hit the limit of the bike seat with the shorter cranks on the Velotron, so now it is just the maximum. It should be a little higher for 150, but. Am working with Racermate to try and get some custom long bike seat posts made for me. So yes, as you can see with my recorded numbers, I have tried to change when I can. Right now at 175 cranks, around 840 is my target. So at 150, I should be at 865, but can only get to 850.

I will send a note to Frank to see if he can continue to put responses together for your great questions.

I am NOT trying to fight with anyone of what they think is right or wrong. Just trying to pass along what we are doing. I am clearly open to any logical suggestions for improvements But am sick and tired of the attacks, when they are not trying to do any type of testing with numbers.

The biggest take away I am seeing, for me, is how RPM target is impacting my HR, riding comfort, being able to push power, etc. No where have I seen anyone deal with this aspect of bike fit and riding performance.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hint...because you ignore what other people have done for testing, doesnÂ’t mean it didnÂ’t happen. You arenÂ’t the only person in the world doing this type of testing. Saying the same incorrect thing over and over doesnÂ’t make it right.

Back to constructive questions. What is HR and RPM? Are they averages, single readings, etc?? What is the standard deviation of your HR values, ie. what is the minimum change that is meaningful? Your HR going up by a beat or two is not a ‘trend’ especially when your HR varies by so much every ride.
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Nov 24, 17 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
"You are all snowflakes."

"I can't believe Dan allows all these personal attacks to go on."

Just LOL. These threads are half the reason I hang around Slowtwitch. The lack of self awareness combined with self confidence is the most entertaining thing I read most days.

You are welcome

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are 19 pages of drivel. Now is exactly the time to continue to point out that people are talking to someone who is sectionable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the passive aggressiveness is killing me, dude...

I had a bit of time so I ran a little bit analysis on the numbers you have, but since the data quality is suspect, I don't know what to conclude.

Your test loop I'm ignoring. there's insufficient data there to say anything at this point.

You had the lowest HR at 200w with 175mm cranks locked. Next lowest was with 175mm unlocked.

Your HR at 200w was flat from 50-70 rpm. across all runs it went up by an average of 1.76 bpm from 70-80 (s.d of the differences +/- 1.75bpm) and again by 2.79 bpm from 80-90 rpm (s.d. of differences +/- 1.79bpm)

The step from 70-80 rpm looks like it comes an hour into the ride. Unknown, is the HR increase due to getting tired - cardiac drift - or is it a function of rpm. Need a baseline to evaluate that against.

with locked cranks - HR was flat to 70rpm, then went up by 1.1bpm to 80 and 3.1 to 90. s.d. of differences = 2.1 and 2.23, respectively.

Edit:

Oh, the SD of HR values themselves for any given RPM is between 4.3 and 4.7.

The data looks to be pretty noisy, which means that IMO you are going to really have to tighten up your protocol.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 24, 17 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anytime someone uses the word snowflake...
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Anytime someone uses the word snowflake...

Much better than the bully word, but at times I love to use them both.

Just so so many folks on social media that just have to, well, ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The data looks to be pretty noisy, which means that IMO you are going to really have to tighten up your protocol.
The noise will never go away as long as he continues to use HR as a proxy for VO2 consumption. Using HR to measure efficiency will never be accurate or "100%" repeatable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
the passive aggressiveness is killing me, dude...

I had a bit of time so I ran a little bit analysis on the numbers you have, but since the data quality is suspect, I don't know what to conclude.

Your test loop I'm ignoring. there's insufficient data there to say anything at this point.

You had the lowest HR at 200w with 175mm cranks locked. Next lowest was with 175mm unlocked.

Your HR at 200w was flat from 50-70 rpm. across all runs it went up by an average of 1.76 bpm from 70-80 (s.d of the differences +/- 1.75bpm) and again by 2.79 bpm from 80-90 rpm (s.d. of differences +/- 1.79bpm)

The step from 70-80 rpm looks like it comes an hour into the ride. Unknown, is the HR increase due to getting tired - cardiac drift - or is it a function of rpm. Need a baseline to evaluate that against.

with locked cranks - HR was flat to 70rpm, then went up by 1.1bpm to 80 and 3.1 to 90. s.d. of differences = 2.1 and 2.23, respectively.

Edit:

Oh, the SD of HR values themselves for any given RPM is between 4.3 and 4.7.

Here is a response from Frank Day

1. There actually is enough data from his test loop to say something. Your problem is you donÂ’t have access to all the previous data. As I stated earlier I compared 8 tests he did on the same course a year ago to the 4 tests he just did. A year ago he averaged 187 watts at an average HR of 129 for the course. His last 4 results averaged 214 watts at an average HR of 126. I think anyone would take that change and there are enough tests this is probably not a one off but probably represents real improvement.

2. Cranks locked and unlocked is a red herring. Dave pedals the bicycle no differently in either configuration. But, he notes the difference so those of you not familiar with the cranks are confused by this.

3. Indeed Dave’s lowest HR occurred on 170 cranks. He has 1 or 2 tests that one might consider outliers. The best of these had a pulse power of 1.626. The vast majority of his “best” pulse power results are 1.56 or less. Even if you include the “outliers" we have enough data that they do not affect the analysis. He has 1.56 results on cranks ranging from 150 to 175. But, you miss the whole point of the effort, I am not focused on crank length but rather on pedal speed because that is what the science says can be best manipulated to affect efficiency and I am going for maximum efficiency. Crank length only comes into play because pedal speed is determined by the combination of crank length and cadence. This most efficient pedaling has been seen in Dave over a fairly wide range from 70 to 128 cm/sec and all of those outliers occurred in the range of 103 to 123. It is why I settled on his most efficient pedal speed being 110 cm/sec. This is his data when upright. We are now trying to figure out how going aero affects his results and here I expect crank length to have an independent affect. I would be surprised if he is as efficient on 175 cranks as 150 when aero even though it makes no difference when upright, or so it seems.

4. While you analyze HR vs RPM I am pretty much ignoring that because, as I said, I am focusing on pedal speed. Once I figure out best pedal speed I will then try to see if there is a best RPM. My initial stab was 110 cm/sec was his best pedal speed at his race power so he should be on 150 cranks at an RPM of 70, on average. He has had one race at this effort that he felt went well. Further, he has done that course testing on the VT. Of his 3 efforts all were on 150 cranks compared to last years all on 175 cranks. The cadences werenÂ’t all that different between these tests, averaging 72.5 on the 150Â’s and 77.3 on the 175Â’s but the pedal speed change was pretty dramatic 114 to 141. Remember we saw a 13% power increase despite a lower HR (is that because he is older or was that a lesser effort? Does it matter?)

5. The protocol is designed to reduce the risk of being fooled by cardiac drift. The power chosen is close to his race effort but something he can ride comfortably for an hour without getting too tired. Plus, we have reversed the cadence progression on different days. Because, HR lags somewhat changes in effort I wanted each cadence to be long enough for his HR to stabilize but not so long that we could get in lots of tests in without fatigue interfering. If we did one test a day we would never finish this effort. Nothing is perfect. One makes choices then tries to get the most out of the choices they make.

6. Because there is a standard deviation in all data in all testing that is why lots of data is required to draw valid conclusions. My guess is we have enough here that a statistician could take this data and get a best fit curve for the data that is reasonably reliable. I donÂ’t have the knowledge or skill to do that but I know what passes the eyeball test and to my eye this is good data. A statistician is welcome to analyze and comment. I would be interested in hearing their comments.

7. And, exactly, how would you tighten up the protocol? Remember, this is one person testing himself in his basement. Luckily, he does have a research caliber ergometer available to him. I am not doing university research here but trying to help an individual find what is best for him. How would you do it differently?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The noise will never go away as long as he continues to use HR as a proxy for VO2 consumption. Using HR to measure efficiency will never be accurate or "100%" repeatable.

How would you propose someome try to measure efficiency in their basement? HR is the best proxy I know of. I realize it is not 100% repeatable which explains the data spread. But, with enough trials the variances tend to average out so reasonable conclusions can be drawn. That is what I have tried to do, get enough data that the conclusions we draw are reasonably valid. How would you do it differently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
"Your problem is you donÂ’t have access to all the previous data.

Dave,

Any chance we can see the data? Also I've asked before you you've yet to answer, what are you using for cooling during these tests i.e. no fan, a single fan, two fans, what type and how close, when are they turned on? Variable cooling alone can easily account for way more than the variability you're seeing.

This is the only loop data I've seen so far. Were the 175 cranks locked or unlocked? That's not specified in your table. I would strongly disagree with FD on locked or unlocked as being unimportant as you yourself have mentioned not being able to ride the 200mm cranks aero when they are unlocked.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave,

Any chance we can see the data? Also I've asked before you you've yet to answer, what are you using for cooling during these tests i.e. no fan, a single fan, two fans, what type and how close, when are they turned on? Variable cooling alone can easily account for way more than the variability you're seeing.

This is the only loop data I've seen so far. Were the 175 cranks locked or unlocked? That's not specified in your table. I would strongly disagree with FD on locked or unlocked as being unimportant as you yourself have mentioned not being able to ride the 200mm cranks aero when they are unlocked.

Hugh

Others have asked but didn't get an answer, what is his FTP ? On one hand it's hard to believe it's 220ish if his HR is at 121.
It will be interesting to know how much below threshold these tests are since he may have a rude awakening when he goes low RPM higher power in a race.
Last edited by: marcag: Nov 27, 17 5:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

1. There actually is enough data from his test loop to say something. Your problem is you donÂ’t have access to all the previous data. As I stated earlier I compared 8 tests he did on the same course a year ago to the 4 tests he just did. A year ago he averaged 187 watts at an average HR of 129 for the course. His last 4 results averaged 214 watts at an average HR of 126. I think anyone would take that change and there are enough tests this is probably not a one off but probably represents real improvement.

*I* was ignoring it since the data was not in the spreadsheet. I cannot do an analysis on data that isn't presented. what was the crank length on the test a year ago, was it locked or unlocked?

2. Cranks locked and unlocked is a red herring. Dave pedals the bicycle no differently in either configuration. But, he notes the difference so those of you not familiar with the cranks are confused by this.

I'm actually not confused by this. It's just that "claiming" that Dave pedals no differently in either configuration doesn't mean that he actually does pedal no differently. We don't "know" until we look at the data and find out.

3. Indeed Dave’s lowest HR occurred on 170 cranks. He has 1 or 2 tests that one might consider outliers. The best of these had a pulse power of 1.626. The vast majority of his “best” pulse power results are 1.56 or less. Even if you include the “outliers" we have enough data that they do not affect the analysis. He has 1.56 results on cranks ranging from 150 to 175. But, you miss the whole point of the effort, I am not focused on crank length but rather on pedal speed because that is what the science says can be best manipulated to affect efficiency and I am going for maximum efficiency. Crank length only comes into play because pedal speed is determined by the combination of crank length and cadence. This most efficient pedaling has been seen in Dave over a fairly wide range from 70 to 128 cm/sec and all of those outliers occurred in the range of 103 to 123. It is why I settled on his most efficient pedal speed being 110 cm/sec. This is his data when upright. We are now trying to figure out how going aero affects his results and here I expect crank length to have an independent affect. I would be surprised if he is as efficient on 175 cranks as 150 when aero even though it makes no difference when upright, or so it seems.

What is "pulse power"? Is it watts per beat? If so, that's a number that is only relevant at a specific wattage, in this case at 200 watts.

Why say that his most efficient pedal speed is 110cm/s when you say right above it that he is efficient in a wide range, from 70-128cm/s? Doesn't that mean that pedal speed isn't all that important?

4. While you analyze HR vs RPM I am pretty much ignoring that because, as I said, I am focusing on pedal speed. Once I figure out best pedal speed I will then try to see if there is a best RPM. My initial stab was 110 cm/sec was his best pedal speed at his race power so he should be on 150 cranks at an RPM of 70, on average. He has had one race at this effort that he felt went well. Further, he has done that course testing on the VT. Of his 3 efforts all were on 150 cranks compared to last years all on 175 cranks. The cadences werenÂ’t all that different between these tests, averaging 72.5 on the 150Â’s and 77.3 on the 175Â’s but the pedal speed change was pretty dramatic 114 to 141. Remember we saw a 13% power increase despite a lower HR (is that because he is older or was that a lesser effort? Does it matter?)

OK, fine....

5. The protocol is designed to reduce the risk of being fooled by cardiac drift. The power chosen is close to his race effort but something he can ride comfortably for an hour without getting too tired. Plus, we have reversed the cadence progression on different days. Because, HR lags somewhat changes in effort I wanted each cadence to be long enough for his HR to stabilize but not so long that we could get in lots of tests in without fatigue interfering. If we did one test a day we would never finish this effort. Nothing is perfect. One makes choices then tries to get the most out of the choices they make.

Which days was the cadence progression reversed? That was never spelled out in the original document, and isn't documented in the spreadsheet.

6. Because there is a standard deviation in all data in all testing that is why lots of data is required to draw valid conclusions. My guess is we have enough here that a statistician could take this data and get a best fit curve for the data that is reasonably reliable. I donÂ’t have the knowledge or skill to do that but I know what passes the eyeball test and to my eye this is good data. A statistician is welcome to analyze and comment. I would be interested in hearing their comments.

If you use a less randomly variable output than HR (like power, for instance), then you could dramatically improve the signal to noise ratio and draw conclusions much quicker.

7. And, exactly, how would you tighten up the protocol? Remember, this is one person testing himself in his basement. Luckily, he does have a research caliber ergometer available to him. I am not doing university research here but trying to help an individual find what is best for him. How would you do it differently?

I've made suggestions in this thread, as have others far more versed in this than I am.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

How would you propose someome try to measure efficiency in their basement? HR is the best proxy I know of. I realize it is not 100% repeatable which explains the data spread. But, with enough trials the variances tend to average out so reasonable conclusions can be drawn. That is what I have tried to do, get enough data that the conclusions we draw are reasonably valid. How would you do it differently.
I wouldn't. I would trust the research that had been done(see below) and not worry about it. If you're concerned about your efficiency for a couple hundred dollars you could go to a lab and measure it from 50 to 110rpm.

If you're using HR to measure efficiency the error bars on your data will be much larger and will it difficult to draw any conclusions. Have you learned something that wasn't previously known?

Different Effect of Cadence on Cycling Efficiency between Young and Older Cyclists, Massimo Sacchetti et al.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave,

Hugh

So, I am posting the data I have. On my strava account is years and years of data riding my velotrons 7 days a week. Take a look there if you want to see it and beat it up. Martis is there on Sundays. I have included my latest updated spread sheet. I do not understand your questions on cranks. Everytime there is an entry for what length I have used. I make it easier to read, unless it says pc with the length, meaning they are unlocked, they are standard cranks, whether they are locked PC's or my adjustable cranks, etc, but they are fixed. So, what am I missing?

Looks like my entries into Strava started around the end of 2011. I have a manual training log, but can only find through 2008. You can find it at my website at
http://www.h2ofun.net/...pbellTrainingLog.xls

I also, 100% of the time use a single large cooling fan that is maybe 3 feet in front of me for 100% of the rides, always.

And yes, by this testing, I have found that the 200's were too long, and my seat was too low, that I could not get the cranks over the top for any length of time in the aero bars.
With the 175 or shorter cranks, with the correct seat height, and seat pushed back, I have no issues in powercrank mode in aero now. I just have NO desire to sit in that position for a long time. Maybe not the perfect training, but since I see very few able to do 7 days a week on the trainer, 90 minutes a day, for years at a time, I do what I have to so I get just do it. Also makes it super tough to watch my movies trying to keep my head up. Again, I know may not be perfect, but better than nothing.

Here is a response from Frank Day.

Sciguy, I would strongly disagree with your locked vs unlocked concern. The main benefit of PowerCranks is they give feedback if one is having trouble pedaling the entire circle. If one is not having trouble then they work exactly like regular cranks. DaveÂ’s mentioning that he couldnÂ’t ride 200Â’s in the aero position unlocked is simply letting him know that 200Â’s were too long for him to ride efficiently in the aero postion because he couldnÂ’t get them over the top easily. He had no trouble riding 200Â’s upright. That would be a valid concern if any of this testing had been done on 200Â’s in the aero position. It has not been. Pretty much all of DaveÂ’s Velotron training efforts is done more upright because he has back issues if aero for too long. He has traditionally saved his aero efforts for races to minimize this issue for him. Therefore, all of the testing we have done has been on crank lengths and positions that provide no issue for him whether the cranks are locked or unlocked. It is just recently that I have started the process to see if we can find a crank length for him that will allow him to ride aero without losing too much efficiency and minimizing his back issues.

I will try to go through all of the data Dave gave me regarding these runs for your information. Be aware, there is a lot.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave,

Hugh

Others have asked but didn't get an answer, what is his FTP ? On one hand it's hard to believe it's 220ish if his HR is at 121.
It will be interesting to know how much below threshold these tests are since he may have a rude awakening when he goes low RPM higher power in a race.

I would guess FTP around 220 but I really could care less

From Frank Day

I donÂ’t know nor do I care what DaveÂ’s FTP is. The purpose of this exercise is to improve his efficiency. If we improve his efficiency his FTP will increase whether we know the number or not, it is as simple as that. We are testing at close to his race efforts which is probably close to this FTP since most of his race efforts last about an hour. My guess is right now his FTP is around 230 or so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I would guess FTP around 220 but I really could care less

OK, good luck with your experiment then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a sec. I thought you and Frank were doing all of the analysis on tons and tons of data. How are you doing that analysis if you haven't compiled it into a format that can be analyzed? If this is for you, that's your job, not ours...

I get that you don't owe anybody anything, but you volunteered your experience, and in doing so, this is what is frustrating. Since I asked you what the protocol was, and you pointed to the first post on the thread as being the best summary of the testing protocol, the story has changed a number of times. And now there is lots of data, but we can't see it...

If you are hoping for anyone else to learn from your experience (and I hope that is your intent, otherwise what is the point) then do whomever wants to learn here a favour and say "this is what we are testing for, these are the variables we are controlling, these are the variables that we have assumed are insignificant, this is the metric we are using to determine whether it is more or less efficient.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since some have asked about my testing process, I thought I would try to load the picture of my erg file and see if this helps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, that doesn't help.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
No, that doesn't help.

What do you mean? "No communication detected" is a perfect representation of this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
No, that doesn't help.

What do you mean? "No communication detected" is a perfect representation of this thread.

C'mon, I'm trying to show my kinder, gentler side with our resident snowflake....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, Apex Trainwreck has been achieved.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave's an engineer.

Boss - "Dave, tell us how you determined the specs for that bridge you designed"

Dave - points at calculator.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next