Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
dcsxtri10 wrote:
CityofKelowna wrote:
We would like to respond to some comments made earlier in this forum regarding WTC’s visit to Kelowna. We are not sure where they came from, however they were not from any member of the City of Kelowna’s official bid team. Members of Kelowna’s bid team were with WTC the entire time of the site visit. There was never any mention of increasing the size of the race or negative comments made by WTC about either of the competing cities. WTC has been extremely professional throughout this entire process. WTC has three great venues to choose from.
- City of Kelowna bid team

_____
Thank you for your professional response!
You can see on this thread that a lot of disinformation such as this is spread by the Challenge Penticton advocates .....

Dave

Dave.....please remove your WTC rose coloured glasses.....The WTC would not commit to Penticton long term, calling it "their business decision".....Penticton made their own business decision and went with Challenge.....WTC is free to organise an IMC race anywhere they want, any city the want, on any day they want....Even the most ra-ra Challenge advocate understands this, but please CP misinformation ??.......This issue about comments made in Kelowna was reported on this thread by someone that is pro Kelowna for the IMC. The reasons/source of these comments are not forthcoming, only the City of Kelowna's denial, understandably they do not want to be seen as the source....the city said something, not WTC (read into that what you will, but I find it odd that it wasn't a joint statement)

The Challenge race will go ahead, I would say it is a done deal that IMC will never be held in Penticton again, that bridge is long gone......IMC will be restarted somewhere else....someone hoping that the CP is a success, doesn't mean someone is anti IMC, but it would seem that you have an issue with anyone that remotely likes the idea of CP.............you need to get over it.

I hope that both CP and IMC are successful races, giving me as an athlete choice.......but we will all see if the WTC has the remotest idea of what is best for the sport of Triathlon, its legacy, its future, or is it going to be a pure business decision, and screw what everyone else thinks when it chooses the location and date of the new IMC.
_____

Tritrev,
We probably disagree about who is wearing the rose colored glasses ;-) .... I don't need to personally attack you though.

I am fine with WTC and do lots of their races .... by choice ... its my personal money I spend and I like the value I get.
I personally think a lot of people are posting on this thread to be nasty to WTC for their own issues .... such as being Challenge advocates ... but not really giving any input that is helpful ... just trying to undermine anything. A lot of us are really interested in the new IMC choice and think it may be something special. I got over Pentictons new choice the day after it was announced .... I've said clearly like many others that I don't have any interest .... and I've been there many times to do IMC. I actually .... as I've said before.... would not do another Okanagan site race - but I would really like to do Whistler. If Whistler doesn't happen, I live in the US ..... so I have many fine WTC races available to choose from and I'll just choose something else.
I'm not Canadian so I don't have the emotional attachment that many of you seem to have .... but remember....1/2 of IMC Pentictons entrants were from the US and most of us like WTC races.
Next week WTC will tell us the site ..... if its Whistler .... you will see a rapid sellout of a potentially epic race beginning. If its Kelowna .... nastiness will be much worse .... and I personally will not do Kelowna .... I'll just stay in the US and do my annual 2-3 IM races .... not personal to me.... just a race choice.
You are entitled to your opinion and I'll respect your choices ... just remember not everyone needs to agree with you.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Kelowna in July that would be a good time . But you would hope they would listen to kel apple tri ,my wife did it this year and the lack of volunteers was a source of many complaints

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you would hope they would listen to kel apple tri ,my wife did it this year and the lack of volunteers was a source of many complaints

Doesn't sound as though anyone is listening to anyone else...

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev.

We agree.

Again.

Hopefully this is all so very, very mute.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, I am not "nasty" about IMC....I'm just nasty about what happened to one of the greatest Iron distance races in the world, the great Ironman Canada.....The race was driven down into the gutter by the WTC, from being a premier event, to one that was an afterthought....The WTC started another Race on the same damn day in Louisville, stripped IMC of its Pro Prize money, stripped its Kona spots, and prevented local business from benefitting from the event....I am not blind to these facts, just because it was a WTC run event, doesn't make it the best event for Penticton.

Will I race the new IMC, absolutely, if it is not in Kelowna, on the same day, as then frankly I hope it sucks the big one.....will I race CP, absolutely its not the first time the race has had a new name....It was there before the WTC, it will be there after the WTC has gone off to a new buyer. I'm not against any Iron distance race, I just want what is best for the sport, and its not currently the WTC.

I really think this is more than a WTC/Challenge battle for holding races, it is more for the soul of our sport, a soul that WTC does not care for, it only cares for the $$$...hence trying to place an event on the same day, 60km's away.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
Dave, I am not "nasty" about IMC....I'm just nasty about what happened to one of the greatest Iron distance races in the world, the great Ironman Canada.....The race was driven down into the gutter by the WTC, from being a premier event, to one that was an afterthought....The WTC started another Race on the same damn day in Louisville, stripped IMC of its Pro Prize money, stripped its Kona spots, and prevented local business from benefitting from the event....I am not blind to these facts, just because it was a WTC run event, doesn't make it the best event for Penticton.

Will I race the new IMC, absolutely, if it is not in Kelowna, on the same day, as then frankly I hope it sucks the big one.....will I race CP, absolutely its not the first time the race has had a new name....It was there before the WTC, it will be there after the WTC has gone off to a new buyer. I'm not against any Iron distance race, I just want what is best for the sport, and its not currently the WTC.

I really think this is more than a WTC/Challenge battle for holding races, it is more for the soul of our sport, a soul that WTC does not care for, it only cares for the $$$...hence trying to place an event on the same day, 60km's away.[/quote
_____

We agree on that neither of us will race Kelowna on the same day as Penticton Challenge ... we both agree that would be obnoxious and not right.
I think it was sad for all of us to lose Penticton IMC .... we don't see the cause though because I think BOTH parties were responsible... not just WTC. I hope Whistler is the choice... because it really will be epic and I want to go there ..... I would have been back in 2013 for IMC Penticton!
Best regards,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Maurice - likley true - WTC and Challlenge are competing for turf - we the athletes will have to vote with our entry fees. I am all for the competition and I think that Challenge - just like Rev 3 are good for us all. It will help grow the sport and offer us choice. if anything I think going head to head is mistake for WTC - the gaul of it would make me want to do the challenge race just for the fun of it

Say hi to Clint for me!!

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well put.

And wtc hope you choke on your Ironman mattresses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes two to tango....
that said it was the WTC that wouldn't commit to Penticton long term, when asked the WTC only said it is a business decision and will deal with it when the time comes.
To me at least that is a slap in the face considering Penticton's history. Penticton has been a great partner and deserved a commitment from the WTC.
WTC has done a great job branding the product and has done a great job for the most part but they have slipped a considerable amount in the last few years. I have been around 1st as a fan then a participant since the very 1st IMC so this isn't an off the cuff comment/observation.
WTC has a choice on how to proceed and many will judge the WTC on their actions.
Even ardent WTC supporters will view Kelowna on the same day as Penticton's Challenge as a bullying tactic and not as an advancement of the sport or with athletes in mind.

I am encouraged by the ground swell of support Penticton is receiving and hope the citizens of the South Okanagan will be rewarded for the decades of effort put forth ensuring a great race for all.
Last edited by: Ray Canuck: Oct 6, 12 9:16
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Moogie [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This Kelowna/Penticton IMC thing is like your best friend dating your ex girlfriend. Or your brother dating your ex. Anyways, whats the WTC going to do for Kelowna that it couldn't do for Penticton? By the sounds of it, the public doesn't support it and you NEED public support for an IM. A disaster is in the works for Ktown and the WTC if it goes there. But seriously, bros before hoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! If Kelowna actually wins this thing and ends up competing with Penticton on the same day then the South Okanagan of BC would be the laughing stock of the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [dstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing I think the WTC is forgetting how many police it wil tale to run traffic controls. There are only so many RCMP members available for pay duty overtime on a given day. Penticton will no doubt have their pay duty/enhanced policing contracts agreed upon before Kelowna does.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [tri4balance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri4balance wrote:
Hey Maurice - likley true - WTC and Challlenge are competing for turf - we the athletes will have to vote with our entry fees. I am all for the competition and I think that Challenge - just like Rev 3 are good for us all. It will help grow the sport and offer us choice. if anything I think going head to head is mistake for WTC - the gaul of it would make me want to do the challenge race just for the fun of it

Say hi to Clint for me!!

Hey Mike,

Agree, the weirdest thing for me right now is that I actually have a choice for the first time in quite a few years.

I can do Challenge, Kelowna/whistler or CDA (still open) all within a 2-6 hour drive,

It feels really weird as an IM distance "consumer" to be in the drivers seat for once. I am not the biggest fan of either Kelowna or Whistler as a race venue. But they were the best of the bunch (west) according to WTC so I'll have to wait to see what they offer.

I fear that Whistler will be too easy, and start with a downhill on the bike, and Kelowna would just be a total CF if it was anywhere near the same day. I could see Kelowna working if it was mid-lat July.

Hope all is well back east, Timewell and Myllymaki live here now, just around the corner. Do the odd run/mtb and the occasional trip to the pub with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [CityofKelowna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CityofKelowna wrote:
We would like to respond to some comments made earlier in this forum regarding WTC’s visit to Kelowna.

Can you confirm whether or not Kelowna proposed to host IMC on the same date as Challenge Penticton?

If so, I find that to be utterly reprehensible.

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reported elsewhere on this forum, the WTC is contracting in Europe with IM Regensbourg , IM 70.3's Ireland (Galway), and Antwerp, all cancelled for 2013. This on Top of IM St George being downsized to a 70.3, depsite over 1780 registrants

Surely somewhere in the WTC headquarters, there is a little voice saying "Are we doing something wrong, what are our custoimers, the athletes saying ?"

No "real" long distance Triathlete wants to see any IM event fail, but if the WTC cannot see/hear the growing discontent/complaints from athletes, the bottom line $$ will not only get impacted, the whole IM brand could be threatened, if its not seen as profitable in the future, with limited if any growth, who would buy it ?.........too big to fail ?....there won't be a Govt bailout for Triathlon......Come on WTC get athlete friendly, find the soul of the sport. Please do what is right for triathlon, forget this issue with CP, and place IMC in a place and time where it can be the best IMC possible, for the athlete.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
Reported elsewhere on this forum, the WTC is contracting in Europe with IM Regensbourg , IM 70.3's Ireland (Galway), and Antwerp, all cancelled for 2013. This on Top of IM St George being downsized to a 70.3, depsite over 1780 registrants

Surely somewhere in the WTC headquarters, there is a little voice saying "Are we doing something wrong, what are our custoimers, the athletes saying ?"

No "real" long distance Triathlete wants to see any IM event fail, but if the WTC cannot see/hear the growing discontent/complaints from athletes, the bottom line $$ will not only get impacted, the whole IM brand could be threatened, if its not seen as profitable in the future, with limited if any growth, who would buy it ?.........too big to fail ?....there won't be a Govt bailout for Triathlon......Come on WTC get athlete friendly, find the soul of the sport. Please do what is right for triathlon, forget this issue with CP, and place IMC in a place and time where it can be the best IMC possible, for the athlete.

-----

WTC's determination to crush Challenge is not just restricted to the Okanagan.We all saw what happened in Cairns and now they have done it again in New Zealand with the 70.3 race in Auckland.Not only did they screw over one of their own races by taking the Asia Pacific Championship status away from the 70.3 in Phuket when they gave it to the Auckland 70.3,they scheduled the new Auckland race on the same weekend as Challenge Wanaka.If that wasn't enough to try and steal athletes away from Challenge Wanaka they then offer a bunch of Kona sports to sweeten the deal...

What I think is hillarious is the quote from Andrew Messick about the Asia Pacific region..

" The Asia Pacific region is rich in IRONMAN heritage and is experiencing remarkable growth in terms of races and participation.It presents some of the most unique and enjoyable experiences for any athlete"..

Well Mr Messick,if that is so true why then have you let ALL of your Ironman events in the Asia part of Asia Pacific fail!

----
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Oct 6, 12 21:48
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i guess the odds of kelowna getting the ironman must be about 300 to 1 then....?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [CityofKelowna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldnt u folks be doing some city business rather than surfing triathlon websites on the taxpayers' dime? Seriously!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [trislower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Securing events to bring in more tourists isnt't in he public interest for their ratepayers?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [trislower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trislower wrote:
So i guess the odds of kelowna getting the ironman must be about 300 to 1 then....?

The fact that Kelowna's bid will create a completely unworkable situation and yet they were still shortlisted for some reason, probably means that they are the favorite.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ray Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray Canuck wrote:
that said it was the WTC that wouldn't commit to Penticton long term, when asked the WTC only said it is a business decision and will deal with it when the time comes.

To me at least that is a slap in the face considering Penticton's history. Penticton has been a great partner and deserved a commitment from the WTC.

WTC has done a great job branding the product and has done a great job for the most part but they have slipped a considerable amount in the last few years. I have been around 1st as a fan then a participant since the very 1st IMC so this isn't an off the cuff comment/observation.

WTC has a choice on how to proceed and many will judge the WTC on their actions.

Even ardent WTC supporters will view Kelowna on the same day as Penticton's Challenge as a bullying tactic and not as an advancement of the sport or with athletes in mind.

I am encouraged by the ground swell of support Penticton is receiving and hope the citizens of the South Okanagan will be rewarded for the decades of effort put forth ensuring a great race for all.

I know that you said "that said" after the two to tango, but the other partner in the dance also made a very visible strictly "business decision" and *you* can really make the same exact statement above but substitute Penticon in place of WTC. As they went for the most money, they are also slapping the history in the face, could have continued onwards with their commitment, that had the same choice in how to proceed, etc

We really do not know what the reasoning was over the years of people's opinions on their quote/unquote devaluing IMC, but you would have to assume the decision were thought-out in reducing KQ, placing Louisville on the same date, etc
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
Ray Canuck wrote:

I know that you said "that said" after the two to tango, but the other partner in the dance also made a very visible strictly "business decision" and *you* can really make the same exact statement above but substitute Penticon in place of WTC. As they went for the most money, they are also slapping the history in the face, could have continued onwards with their commitment, that had the same choice in how to proceed, etc

We really do not know what the reasoning was over the years of people's opinions on their quote/unquote devaluing IMC, but you would have to assume the decision were thought-out in reducing KQ, placing Louisville on the same date, etc
Sorry can't agree .....

Penticton WANTED to have a long term commitment so NO you cannot sub the two parties and say they wanted the same or did the same thing.
The fact Penticton did what they did is what dumbfounded the WTC, they were caught off guard which only helps illustrate their disconnect with the grassroots.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ray Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is when when I go back to race Challenge Penticton in my mind this will be my 4th time finishing Ironman Canada.

For me as long as there is an Ironman distance race in Penticton it will be Ironman Canada.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reparto Corse wrote:
The thing is when when I go back to race Challenge Penticton in my mind this will be my 4th time finishing Ironman Canada.

For me as long as there is an Ironman distance race in Penticton it will be Ironman Canada.

----

You are not alone in that sentiment,a lot of my long time IMC friends feel the same way.

---
Quote Reply

Prev Next