Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If he (and others) could reliably identify which files are which I would accept that they understand this stuff way beyond my own abilities [..] What we would learn is that the claim that it is easy to find a manipulated file is true or not or we might find that I don't know how to manipulate a file very well. It won't say much about the current issue.

Well, the claim isn't that it's easy to find a manipulated file -- sometimes it's a lot of work. The claim is that it's hard to manipulate a file so that the manipulation is not detectable. Your claim was that you could do this in less than 30 minutes.

As I said above, at the moment I'm a little reluctant to reveal all the ways to detect a file whose integrity has been breached, and since it won't say much about the current issue I don't really see the point of doing this simply to satisfy your curiosity about whether anyone understands "this stuff" way beyond your own abilities. A shorter path to answering that question is actually to ask another question: "Frank, how much riding with a Power Tap, and how much analysis of Power Tap files, have you done?"
I have ridden with a PT, but never really analyzed my files. I no longer have one since the bike with the hub was stolen. So my experience with these files is essentially zero. I believe the first raw data file I have ever seen is Joaquin's. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to manipulate to give a different result. It would be possible to detect what I would do if you had additional information that was not included in the file but if you did not have that information I think it would be impossible.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If he (and others) could reliably identify which files are which I would accept that they understand this stuff way beyond my own abilities [..] What we would learn is that the claim that it is easy to find a manipulated file is true or not or we might find that I don't know how to manipulate a file very well. It won't say much about the current issue.

Well, the claim isn't that it's easy to find a manipulated file -- sometimes it's a lot of work. The claim is that it's hard to manipulate a file so that the manipulation is not detectable. Your claim was that you could do this in less than 30 minutes.

As I said above, at the moment I'm a little reluctant to reveal all the ways to detect a file whose integrity has been breached, and since it won't say much about the current issue I don't really see the point of doing this simply to satisfy your curiosity about whether anyone understands "this stuff" way beyond your own abilities. A shorter path to answering that question is actually to ask another question: "Frank, how much riding with a Power Tap, and how much analysis of Power Tap files, have you done?"
RChung, I know not who you are, but I dig your style.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hmmm. Well, first, let's all agree that whether you could or couldn't do such a thing is not dispositive about this particular case. Second, as I've said, I didn't show all of the things I looked at or analyses I did. Just 'cuz you can't think of a way to detect alterations or manipulations doesn't mean no one can.
Here is my thought. Someone send me a PT file of a climb (it could be done on anything but if it is on the flat it is harder to do do and make it undetectable if there is substantial variation and we are dealing with a climb in this particular instance). I will then make 9 variations of the file showing 9 different average powers varying as much as 20% and see if the experts can detect which one is the original out of the 10. If randomized properly I say they will get it right about 10% of the time. If they get it right substantially more than that then they know a lot more of the nuances of this stuff than I do (they probably do anyhow, but I don't see how what I would do to "manipulate the file" could be detected)

Well, this is an interesting challenge and from a purely egotistical point of view I'm very tempted -- but, really, what would we learn? You could, after all, be quite clever and deceitful, or you could just be bad at fakery. In either event, it tells us nothing about the current case. More importantly, I might have to reveal some of the other analytical approaches I've used and I'm not too keen on doing that at the moment.
Just an update here folks, I thought it would be possible to modify a PT file in a fashion that it would be "undetectable". It may still be possible but I couldn't do it. Ken Willet sent me a PT file and I modified it 9 different ways then sent 10 files to Dr. Chung to see if he could find the "unaltered" one. First he came back and told me they were all altered. Well, they were as I didn't want the file times to give it away so one was "modified" with zero change and ten new files were produced identically within a few minutes. Despite that he was able to choose the correct one, rather easily I presume also. While there is a 10% chance he got it right by chance I suspect this is not the case. If Dr. Chung says a file is altered you can safely assume it is. If he says it is unaltered, I would even give that a greater chance of being right.

I am totally impressed. Sort of like some of the "tricks" doctors have to pick up malingering I suppose.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
One final point, then I am out for the night:

If you're really upset about the Computrainer claim, ask them about it. Not me. I would be MUCH more likely to take them up on their product based on the possibility of taking them up on their guarantee. If your guarantee was for 12 months, you might have sold me a pair....maybe. but when you make a claim that something takes 9 months (or whatever your claim is) and only give someone 90 days to evaluate, well, then the customer is SOL when the 9 months is up and don't get the results you guarantee.
No, I am not upset about their ad. You asked me for an example of another manufacturer with an "outrageous" claim. I consider a 30 minute IM bike split improvement guarantee to be pretty outrageous. I, at one time, considered a performance improvement guarantee, and decided the requirements required would be unworkable for us. At least CT has a built in method of documenting work done and performance improement. We don't. 30 minutes isn't much if you are currently at a 7 hour split. It is a lot if you are at 5:30. I decided on a satisfaction guarantee instead.

3 months is plenty for our users to understand the potential of the product. Ask any of them. You wouldn't know because you, apparently, haven't used it. Read the what I say and claim. I don't guarantee a specific result in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, or forever. I suggest what our typical new user will see after one season with them. But, I only guarantee they will be happy with the the cost benefit relationship they see in the product within 3 months. If they think their benefits are not going to live up to my "claims" or to their expectation based upon my claims within three months they have risked essentially nothing. That doesn't seem so outrageous to me.

Wait? So 40% power increase is reasonable, but 30 minutes off an IM bike leg isn't? Riding at 200W sustainable, isn't an additional 40% of that going to drop your time by an unbelievable amount? Like significantly more than a half hour?
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If Dr. Chung says a file is altered you can safely assume it is.

IOW, you now admit that the file that Joaquin sent to various people had, in fact, been altered, as everyone has been telling you all along. I'm sure, however, that that still won't stop you from touting his "results" as evidence of the efficacy of your cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And whatever happened to the "new" file Joaquin was going to send? Didn't he say he had found a way to get the file off of the PT head unit "unaltered"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
If Dr. Chung says a file is altered you can safely assume it is.

IOW, you now admit that the file that Joaquin sent to various people had, in fact, been altered, as everyone has been telling you all along. I'm sure, however, that that still won't stop you from touting his "results" as evidence of the efficacy of your cranks.
True, true, unrelated

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And whatever happened to the "new" file Joaquin was going to send? Didn't he say he had found a way to get the file off of the PT head unit "unaltered"?
I suspect the truth of that file will be known plenty soon enough.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I suspect the truth of that file will be known plenty soon enough"

Meaning? I think we know the truth about the first time it was sent out....but what about the second time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If Dr. Chung says a file is altered you can safely assume it is. If he says it is unaltered, I would even give that a greater chance of being right.

Thanks, but I think that's overstated. My only claim was that it is hard to alter a file in a way that makes it undetectable, not that it's impossible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
If Dr. Chung says a file is altered you can safely assume it is. If he says it is unaltered, I would even give that a greater chance of being right.

Thanks, but I think that's overstated. My only claim was that it is hard to alter a file in a way that makes it undetectable, not that it's impossible.
I did my best to fool you using all the "tricks" I could think of to alter a file in an "undetectable" manner. I know you told me it was not impossible but it is not clear that anyone who hangs out here has the expertise (except, perhaps, you) to do it and certainly Joaquin does not possess such expertise.

Anyone can be fooled. When someone claims they cannot be fooled they are simply setting themselves up to be more easily fooled, although it may take someone very good to do it. By the same token, when someone claims something is impossible they are setting themselves up to look foolish if ever it is proven possible.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
when someone claims something is impossible they are setting themselves up to look foolish if ever it is proven possible.

Obviously nothing is impossible when one is willing to make up numbers to "prove" it to be true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting for this second "uncorrupted" file to show up so we can see what really happened on the ride. Maybe it'll show up as an early Christmas present!!! YAY!

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm still waiting for this second "uncorrupted" file to show up so we can see what really happened on the ride. Maybe it'll show up as an early Christmas present!!! YAY!
You are going to wait a very long time. Even though he has sent it to me (I see none of the "problems" that were described in the first one but I am no expert) and to Robert Chung, he has asked each of us to not post it here as he is tired of the crap he has received here and has no desire to prove anything to anyone here. He did send it to Robert Chung because he was the only one here he saw as acting professionally, in that he pointed out the discrepancies but made no judgment call as to how they occurred. He came here to have a discussion about the cranks and to provide his experience to those who were interested and simply got called a liar. I support him in his decision.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
You are going to wait a very long time. ..blah.. he has asked each of us to not post it here. ..blah.. I support him in his decision.
Well that certainly is convenient. =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you ST, another person who could and was willing to provide his experiences has said
life is TOO short for the ST BS. But, ST has no personal attacks right Frank. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thank you ST, another person who could and was willing to provide his experiences has said
life is TOO short for the ST BS. But, ST has no personal attacks right Frank. Smile

Dave
No "personal attacks" but does anyone have a single doubt as to how the "discussion" would have gone regardless of how his new file looked? It would have simply been the same people espousing how he did a "better" job of manipulating it this time. Why waste the time and bandwidth?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Na, he just would have had the best rider on his team do the ride. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
You are going to wait a very long time. Even though he has sent it to me (I see none of the "problems" that were described in the first one but I am no expert) and to Robert Chung, he has asked each of us to not post it here as he is tired of the crap he has received here and has no desire to prove anything to anyone here.
This sounds like a bullshit copout. All of the "unprofessional people" like apparently myself are more than happy to look at a file that doesn't have clear signs of blatant manipulation (by some thing whether human or not) and give their honest opinion. I personally believe that the time/power estimate will probably land him in the 330ish range for an FTP (as I said earlier). Given the earlier 400ish claims and recent injuries and it being off-season this wouldn't be out of the realm of expected. But to cut and run like this just reinforces the liar label. Enough said.

Edit: FWIW I was doing 6x4min intervals in the 375W range a few months ago during the build segment of summer training. Last weekend I just spontaneously decided to do a 4 min interval and was nearly maxed out at 340W. Totally maxed out would have probably been 350ish, maybe. Dropping 30-40W is probably expected when not training hard.

Mad
Last edited by: triguy42: Dec 5, 07 19:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next