Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"if anybody is ready to exchange a PT CPU for mine I will be happy to do so. the data is still inside it. and i guess the CPU cannot be manipulated. so any of you clever people analyze it. "

You got it. PM me, and I will get you shipping info. I have several head units floating around, and would have no problem trading you one to get at the raw data...

Would anyone like to take bets on whether or not you'll receive the head unit with a mysteriously dead battery?
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"...you guys playing cards?"

Thank you. Thank you. I couldn't quite remember the scene.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, another option. He has made the offer to ride with anyone. And, he has said folks have not shown up.
So, is there not one ST person who can meet him, do the hill, have a SRM, PT, or whatever, and
lets give the benefit of the doubt? Seems a lot better than getting his PT sent over.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Would anyone like to take bets on whether or not you'll receive the head unit with a mysteriously dead battery?[/reply]
My money's on an EMP shockwave frying the CPU.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

OK, let us be Miss marple or Sherlock Holmes and deduce what happened here. You ride up La Morcuera and, to your dismay, get home and find out the PT file only shows you averaging 300 watts yet you everyone you averaged 350 watts. But, you want everyone to believe you did 350 watts and youhave promised them the file. What would you do?

1. Take the spreadsheet and increase each power number 16% which would give you the power numbers you have been telling everyone?

That still would have been caught by Robert. I'm not going to explain how, since that would make it easier for someone to attempt to fake another file in the future, but anyone familiar with all the types of analyses possible with a power file would figure it out...

In Reply To:
2. Take the spreadsheet and manually change the 1600 power, torque, speed, and HR numbers (in lieu of a 16% straight substitution done by the computer which would keep all the normal variation intact and make it not possible to find any patterns in the numbers proving this inartful manipulation), leaving the distance numbers alone.

People do stranger (dumber?) things every day...

In Reply To:
Thanks for letting me know how the PT works. Except you forgot to say whether the power measurement comes from peak, average or minimal torque during the period and peak, average, or minimal velocity during the period. Do you know? How it works could make a difference in evaluating and possibly explaining these inconsistencies without a need to invoke nefarious intent.

The PT takes an average of the previous 1.26s for all values and saves them. That fact makes no difference in how this file is being evaluated.

In Reply To:

Hey, I am not so sure that anyone here is "out to get me" as this file is not mine. However, I wonder about the rush to accept nefarious intent here because of some inconsistencies in the file.

SOME inconsistencies???? The WHOLE thing is inconsistent. Frank, your sounding a tad bit delusional here...
The ONLY things consistent with your distorted view of the situation is average power, the elapsed time, and the distance. The problem (for you and the liar) is that the physics of the situation and the other data in the file allows for a cross-check with reality. This file fails that check miserably.

In Reply To:
I accept there are some inconsistencies I cannot explain (especially the speed/distance issue and a HR profile that looks "strange") but I do not accept that this is evidence that Joaquin deliberately manipulated the file to make himself look better than he is. If I wanted to change a PT file to look better than I am I would simply change the torque and power numbers by a set percentage across the board and leave everything else alone. This would be undetectable using all the methods you folks have used to examine this file.

As I said above, that type of manipulation is actually possible to detect and Robert would have found it if that is what had happened. You'd have to try harder than that.
The funny thing is, that he didn't even need to go into that much depth of analysis...this fake was so sloppy, it basically screams out at you that it is fake.
I think the better term would be to say the file is corrupted. It is possible it is corrupted because it was manipulated but, I suspect, it is possible there are other possibilities also. People seem to accept that the cadence data can be extremely flawed but that all these other numbers are inviolate. So be it.

Because the HR data seems flawed also I am putting my money on a problem with the PT for now. It is what makes the most sense to me, unless someone can come up with a plausible reason (or a witness) as to why Joaquin would care to do this.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think the better term would be to say the file is corrupted. It is possible it is corrupted because it was manipulated but, I suspect, it is possible there are other possibilities also. People seem to accept that the cadence data can be extremely flawed but that all these other numbers are inviolate. So be it.

Because the HR data seems flawed also I am putting my money on a problem with the PT for now. It is what makes the most sense to me, unless someone can come up with a plausible reason (or a witness) as to why Joaquin would care to do this.[/reply]The numbers aren't inviolate, but when a Power Tap has 'problems', the problems are very, very predictable. The problems manifest themselves as data drop outs, not repeating cyclical patterns of numbers (if you want an example of a PT file experiencing rain-related data drops, I can gladly send you one so you can look at the raw data to get an idea of how the problems manifest themselves).

That the problems would manifest themselves in a way that would, by complete coincidence, mimic a desired result--and do so in the manner that they have (repeated numerical patterns) is, in a word, unbelievable.

I'd be curious to see what a representative of Power Tap would have to say about the file?
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Because the HR data seems flawed also I am putting my money on a problem with the PT for now.

I'm putting my money on the fact that someone just cut-and-pasted entire blocks of data in the .csv file, thus inflating the average speed and power but also resulting in the repeating sequences for speed, torque, power, AND heart rate. But hey, I'm only a scientist, not a physician, so what do I know about interpreting data? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The simplest explanation for what happened is that the file was doctored. Anything else would have to involve a series of fantastically unlikely coincidences. Wouldn't you agree that the most likely explanation is that the file was tampered with?

The following point has already been made, but you've thus far failed to address it. If this were, as you suggest, the result of a malfunctioning PT, what are the odds that:

1. Only the data relating to the climb in question were affected by the malfunction; and
2. The data were affected in such a way as to exactly support the claim made by the "victim" of the malfunction; and
3. The data were affected in a way that is consistent with a botched attempt to fake a PT file (e.g. repeating identical numerical sequences consistent with a "cut-and-paste" approach, etc)?

Seriously, ask yourself what the above question, and see if you still want to try to defend the position that it's just an innocent malfunction.
Last edited by: donm: Nov 21, 07 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So, is there not one ST person who can meet him, do the hill, have a SRM, PT, or whatever, and
lets give the benefit of the doubt? Seems a lot better than getting his PT sent over"

Seriously? Sending a tiny CPU for $15 via UPS seems HARDER than finding someone near him in Spain and changing out wheels/cranks/bottom brackets?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The simplest explanation for what happened is that the file was doctored.
Oh my f'-ing god....was THAT intentional?? DAMN funny. At least you didn't say "physicianed".

If that was intentional, man, you are now my hero.

Smelly

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just to throw something else out there: what happens when one exceeds the recording memory of a PT CPU? Does it wrap around and start smoothly overwriting the start of the file or ... does it go haywire?

Still doesn't make the data "real" of course but it's another possibility (remote I'll admit).

Alternately, I'm thinking all PowerCrank "proof" rides occur in a Holodeck simulation and the computer got into a close to endless loop there :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am regretting ever starting this thread..although it has been entertaining. I took a look at the file and it definitely appears to have been modified. I say "modified", not "corrupted", because it's full of repeating identical data blocks in the section marked as interval 1. It's statistically unlikely, let's say, for this to occur as a result of data corruption. It's visually evident if you look at the file in CyclingPeaks.

The dumbest part of this whole thing is that neither I nor (I hope) Joaquin really set out to prove anything with this ride. I just wanted to ride a good climb, see if Joaquin was really as strong as he claimed. Power numbers from this, good or bad, wouldn't really show much of anything regarding the efficiency of PCs; it's just more anecdotal testimony.

I started the thread more for amusement value than anything else.

As Rappstar pointed out a few pages back, beating me up the climb doesn't prove any particular point other than that my watts/kg. is lower. A few facts remain:
1) I exist, ;-)
2) Joaquin easily beat me up the climb; his time would have had to be about what he says it was for him to have come back down and met me with about 2 kms remaining and climb back up with me (I reached the top in 42 minutes or so).

I ride with a couple of FL State Master's champions, former low level pros, and I believe Joaquin's at least as strong as these guys. It's a shame that this bogarted data file throws more doubt on him; Joaquin, I hope it wasn't your doing.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump: "That's all I have to say about that". I'm going to cook Thanksgiving desserts now and get ready to ride 85 miles to my sister's house for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
just to throw something else out there: what happens when one exceeds the recording memory of a PT CPU? Does it wrap around and start smoothly overwriting the start of the file or ... does it go haywire?

Well, really neither. That is, it will overwrite older data with newer data, but it doesn't wrap around and smoothly do so from the beginning. (OTOH, it never repeats entire blocks of data, either.)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Nov 21, 07 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Because the HR data seems flawed also I am putting my money on a problem with the PT for now.

I'm putting my money on the fact that someone just cut-and-pasted entire blocks of data in the .csv file, thus inflating the average speed and power but also resulting in the repeating sequences for speed, torque, power, AND heart rate. But hey, I'm only a scientist, not a physician, so what do I know about interpreting data? ;-)
Well, that would be a pretty good guess given the following sequence:

6:21:36

352 180 14.9
366 180 14.5
437 180 14.4
425 180 14.5
402 180 14.6
440 180 14.6
417 180 14.4

Then at 6:23:35--the exact same sequence. That particular power pattern is repeated at last 8 times (and I stopped counting after that).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could that have happened here then?
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man...now I really wish it was intentional.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Still doesn't make the data "real" of course but it's another possibility (remote I'll admit).

Alternately, I'm thinking all PowerCrank "proof" rides occur in a Holodeck simulation and the computer got into a close to endless loop there :-)
That's funny--I was fully expecting Frank to quickly jump on that one! It doesn't matter, since the data is time stamped and he was at only 6:20 or something on the clock. But, to answer your question, it starts writing over the data at the beginning of the file.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So far, I have no "data" that says I am faster or stronger on the bike because of PC's"

Don't you have a Computrainer? With you spreadsheets logging your miles, I find it hard to believe you have NO data pre-PC's on the Computrainer vs. post-PC's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if it would have helped the results if they had shaved their legs with Occam's razor instead of something like Gillette. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think the better term would be to say the file is corrupted.

"Better" in you own mind perhaps to help quell some of the cognitive dissonance going on in there...but the more accurate terms are manipulated, or, simply faked.

I just "calls 'em as I sees 'em".

In Reply To:
It is possible it is corrupted because it was manipulated but, I suspect, it is possible there are other possibilities also.

Hmmm...are these "possible other possibilities" somehow related to the "unknown unknowns" that Mr. Rumsfeld talked about one time? Just wondering...

In Reply To:
People seem to accept that the cadence data can be extremely flawed but that all these other numbers are inviolate. So be it.

Correct...and that's because cadence isn't used in the calculation of ANY of the other values. In fact, I normally don't even install the cadence pickup on my PT equipped bikes. I don't care about cadence.

In Reply To:
Because the HR data seems flawed also I am putting my money on a problem with the PT for now. It is what makes the most sense to me, unless someone can come up with a plausible reason (or a witness) as to why Joaquin would care to do this.

Huh? The HR data is also fudged, so that means it's a problem with the PT? Wow...you really are grasping at straws, huh? If that is what makes the most sense to you, then I was wrong before about you appearing delusional. Actually, you are.

You're looking for a plausible reason for why he would do this? That's easy...how about simple entertainment value? People do odd things on the internet just for entertainment.

Frank, it's time to move beyond the "denial" stage and move into "anger". That will get you to "acceptance" just that much quicker.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"So far, I have no "data" that says I am faster or stronger on the bike because of PC's"

Don't you have a Computrainer? With you spreadsheets logging your miles, I find it hard to believe you have NO data pre-PC's on the Computrainer vs. post-PC's.

Isn't that a funny thing about PCs? There's never any actual "before and after" power data to back up the claims....interesting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So, another option. He has made the offer to ride with anyone. And, he has said folks have not shown up.
So, is there not one ST person who can meet him, do the hill, have a SRM, PT, or whatever, and
lets give the benefit of the doubt? Seems a lot better than getting his PT sent over.

Dave

I'm sorry...but IMO he's used up all of his "benefit of the doubt".

It's all a hoax.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof...and all we've ever seen in this whole fiasco is extraordinary hubris.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, your logic is really getting in the way of my ST.com Soap Opera drama. :)

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom, your logic is really getting in the way of my ST.com Soap Opera drama. :)

Don't you mean comic opera? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that too.

There you go again, letting your personal dislike for me get in the way. :)

Last edited by: cslone: Nov 21, 07 14:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next