Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, I'm having a crappy day (my car got broken into) and I've been drinkng a little bit, so I'm just gonna be blunt here:

Frank, what the F**k is wrong with you?

Seriously - if you worked for me, and posted the nonsense you have been putting up lately, and had my company name in your masthead, you would get the boot in about 5 seconds.

I literally don't think that it would be possible for you to diminish your reputation and credibility in a more effective manner than you have manifested in this thread, and it defies logic that an intelligent person such as yourself would persist in such an insane effort at self-immolation...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yes, water running and PC's have similar effects. Only a couple of differences. PC's don't require a pool. Water running will probably have little effect on your cycling. And, it is hard to get in 1-3 hours a day in water running and do any other training (like swimming, or cycling, or actual running) if one is a triathlete. Time is your most precious resource. If one can accomplish 2 tasks at the same time, much is to be gained.

Funny you should mention that. From an article in today's NYTimes:

Quote:
Even exercises that seem similar are rarely similar enough, Dr. Coyle added. Some injured runners run in a pool, wearing a vest. That, Dr. Coyle said, is not the same as running on land. In fact, it is more like bicycling because it uses the quadriceps muscles to push against the water.

Yes, that's Ed Coyle.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess it is a good thing I don't work for you, or that you don't work for me. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yes, water running and PC's have similar effects. Only a couple of differences. PC's don't require a pool. Water running will probably have little effect on your cycling. And, it is hard to get in 1-3 hours a day in water running and do any other training (like swimming, or cycling, or actual running) if one is a triathlete. Time is your most precious resource. If one can accomplish 2 tasks at the same time, much is to be gained.

Funny you should mention that. From an article in today's NYTimes:

Quote:
Even exercises that seem similar are rarely similar enough, Dr. Coyle added. Some injured runners run in a pool, wearing a vest. That, Dr. Coyle said, is not the same as running on land. In fact, it is more like bicycling because it uses the quadriceps muscles to push against the water.

Yes, that's Ed Coyle.
From my perspective, the advantage of running in water is the additional training of the HF and hamstring muscles in a non-impact environment as lifting the knee requires substantial activation of the HF muscles and pulling the foot back the hamstrings, especially with the added resistance of the water. PC's offer the same advantages. Running in water has little to do with running form IMHO although it is possible to put some attention to this also, but most probably do a bad job at it.

I would disagree with Coyle as I don't see where the quads are used to any significant degree while running in water, at least as I understand it.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, the part of the pedaling stroke where the most potential additional power lies is at the top of the stroke. A traditional "dead spot" for which a large muscle (the quads) would be the prime contributor here.
[/reply]

Yes that's correct, it's possible to apply max power in this area and it's done mainly with the hips but in your case it's not possible because you are using vertical pressure as your main power supplier to the pedal, this makes any effective power application between 11 and 1 o'c almost impossible with the higher cadences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank, I would never work for you. Not for all the money in the world.

Oh, and edit to add:

I would also never hire you; frankly, you don't meet the ethical standard required.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: Nov 22, 07 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In my opinion, the part of the pedaling stroke where the most potential additional power lies is at the top of the stroke. A traditional "dead spot" for which a large muscle (the quads) would be the prime contributor here.
[/reply]

Yes that's correct, it's possible to apply max power in this area and it's done mainly with the hips but in your case it's not possible because you are using vertical pressure as your main power supplier to the pedal, this makes any effective power application between 11 and 1 o'c almost impossible with the higher cadences.
It's not possible with PC's? Everything is possible with PC's, as long as you can fully unweight on the upstroke. First you get the benefit of the increase power from simply unweighting, then one can work on the other aspects of the stroke. LOL

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I would disagree with Coyle as I don't see where the quads are used to any significant degree while running in water, at least as I understand it.

Why am I not surprised? You clearly know more about exercise physiology better than anyone I've ever heard.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank, I would never work for you. Not for all the money in the world.

Oh, and edit to add:

I would also never hire you; frankly, you don't meet the ethical standard required.

Not low enough?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
okay so how about a 90kg bloke in his early 30's with an FTP of 450W? What's his potential then? (not me BTW!).

I'm talking real watts now. Not JoaquinWatts (^TM).
I have no clue but one might ask Magnus Backstedt how much improvement he has seen from training with them. I suspect it was at least a little bit as I understand he is still a fan and is still using them.

Is this a photo of Magnus at his team's recent training camp on a bike with regular cranks and a PowerTap? CycleOps is one of their sponsors.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Not low enough? "

Well Frank, I have hired more than one convicted felon, and I worked side by side with a convicted murderer for a while - and all of them exhibited a greater level of honesty and integrity than you do on this forum.

I know you're going to laugh this off, and I'm sure even this is great for your sales, but I honestly wonder if you ever give any thought to just what a colossal ass you have become? Seriously - do you ever have trouble looking in the mirror, or has your level of delusion become so pervasive that your psyche is completely devoid of any kind of introspective moderating element?

It really has been kind of amazing to watch you devolve from cantankerous maverick inventor to raving quack snake-oil salesman over the course of several years.

AS flippant as it sounds, my "what the f**k" question was essentially sincere; you've managed to turn yourself into a joke (literally,) and I just can't imagine what that must feel like...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's not possible with PC's? Everything is possible with PC's, as long as you can fully unweight on the upstroke. First you get the benefit of the increase power from simply unweighting, then one can work on the other aspects of the stroke. LOL[/reply]

No you can't, it can only be done when you are using an extended main power stroke with power applied in the same direction from 11 to 5, you don't have time to switch power application direction as would be necessary with the circular or PC style. I would also disagree with Coyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Not low enough? "

Well Frank, I have hired more than one convicted felon, and I worked side by side with a convicted murderer for a while - and all of them exhibited a greater level of honesty and integrity than you do on this forum.

I know you're going to laugh this off, and I'm sure even this is great for your sales, but I honestly wonder if you ever give any thought to just what a colossal ass you have become? Seriously - do you ever have trouble looking in the mirror, or has your level of delusion become so pervasive that your psyche is completely devoid of any kind of introspective moderating element?

It really has been kind of amazing to watch you devolve from cantankerous maverick inventor to raving quack snake-oil salesman over the course of several years.

AS flippant as it sounds, my "what the f**k" question was essentially sincere; you've managed to turn yourself into a joke (literally,) and I just can't imagine what that must feel like...

Hey my man, I went to the US Naval Academy. The highest ethical standard was at the core of what we were taught there. Similarly at medical school. I remain what I was taught.

Please give me one specific example of where I have been dishonest or unethical in any way. If I have been so I will either apologize or correct it. The "fact" that you do not believe what I say or claim is not true does not make me unethical. If you have evidence that what I say or claim is not true please present it and I will change it. :-)

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's not possible with PC's? Everything is possible with PC's, as long as you can fully unweight on the upstroke. First you get the benefit of the increase power from simply unweighting, then one can work on the other aspects of the stroke. LOL[/reply]

No you can't, it can only be done when you are using an extended main power stroke with power applied in the same direction from 11 to 5, you don't have time to switch power application direction as would be necessary with the circular or PC style. I would also disagree with Coyle.
So, you are saying that the fact that PowerCranks force the user to "unweight" somehow prevents them from "using an extended main power stroke with power applied in the same direction from 11 to 5"? Well, I don't get it but then, I have never "gotten" pretty much anything you have said.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
okay so how about a 90kg bloke in his early 30's with an FTP of 450W? What's his potential then? (not me BTW!).

I'm talking real watts now. Not JoaquinWatts (^TM).
I have no clue but one might ask Magnus Backstedt how much improvement he has seen from training with them. I suspect it was at least a little bit as I understand he is still a fan and is still using them.

Is this a photo of Magnus at his team's recent training camp on a bike with regular cranks and a PowerTap? CycleOps is one of their sponsors.

Your point? Did you expect him to have a picture taken at a team training camp using the product of a non-sponsor? Get real.

Magnus had agreed to ride the Silverman relay this year on PowerCranks if there had been a relay for the money. There wasn't. If there had been perhaps we would have a picture or two of him using them in an actual competition. We don't.

Again, your point?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Please give me one specific example of where I have been dishonest or unethical in any way. If I have been so I will either apologize or correct it."

Frank, you never cease to amaze.

Your single most gratuitous offense on this site is your continued refusal to ever admit to a wrong of any sort; to my mind, this gratuitous intellectual dishonesty is as immoral and unethical as it gets - and certainly not a credit to the institution(s) you cite.

Time after time, you have been called to the carpet on falsehoods, misrepresentation, and most recently blatant forgery of data by a surrogate, and far from "apologizing or correct(ing)," you have blustered, bluffed, changed the argument around, or/and refused to recognize or admit to, well, anything.

At a certain point, one really begins to wonder if you are merely putting us all on, or if your online persona is truly reflective of the man behind the keyboard, whether there is some underlying pathology that might explain all this...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Please give me one specific example of where I have been dishonest or unethical in any way. If I have been so I will either apologize or correct it."

Frank, you never cease to amaze.

Your single most gratuitous offense on this site is your continued refusal to ever admit to a wrong of any sort; to my mind, this gratuitous intellectual dishonesty is as immoral and unethical as it gets - and certainly not a credit to the institution(s) you cite.

Time after time, you have been called to the carpet on falsehoods, misrepresentation, and most recently blatant forgery of data by a surrogate, and far from "apologizing or correct(ing)," you have blustered, bluffed, changed the argument around, or/and refused to recognize or admit to, well, anything.

At a certain point, one really begins to wonder if you are merely putting us all on, or if your online persona is truly reflective of the man behind the keyboard, whether there is some underlying pathology that might explain all this....
All I asked for was a specific instance of an actual ethical failure. You have failed in that regard. That fact that someone or, even, everyone, has called me on the carpet for supposed failures does not make them true. Give me a specific instance you can point to where I failed to act ethically and if it is true I will correct it or apologize for the failure.

Continuing to amaze you I am sure.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Your point? Did you expect him to have a picture taken at a team training camp using the product of a non-sponsor? Get real.[/quote]
You are too funny. There he is, in Liquigas kit, at a Slipstream-Chipolte training camp, and you suggest he wouldn't dare to be seen with something from a non-sponsor?

The point was that here's your main man (according to you), not using your product but rather with a power meter; consider that in light of your dismissing the use of power in training because "it hasn't been proven". Ah, the irony.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"That fact that someone or, even, everyone, has called me on the carpet for supposed failures does not make them true."

According to you, Frank, they're never true. Ever. Even when they are - perhaps most particularly when they are - true.

I'm actually not terribly interested in debating with you further... or at all, to be honest. You have answered my initial question, and really, that's all I was looking for.

Your reality is a place into which no light may enter.

Good luck with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Your point? Did you expect him to have a picture taken at a team training camp using the product of a non-sponsor? Get real.[/quote]
You are too funny. There he is, in Liquigas kit, at a Slipstream-Chipolte training camp, and you suggest he wouldn't dare to be seen with something from a non-sponsor?

The point was that here's your main man (according to you), not using your product but rather with a power meter; consider that in light of your dismissing the use of power in training because "it hasn't been proven". Ah, the irony.
Huh, Magnus is our main man? Over the likes of Bettini and many others.

That picture was taken at the slipstream camp? Really?

Anyhow, I am not sure what you are hoping to "prove" by showing a picture of one of our athletes training on regular cranks. I think the vast majority of them do not use them exclusively despite my recommendations. Magnus has told us he has ridden them for as long as 6 hours and he likes training on them on the cobbles in preparation for PR and he is one of the few pros nice enough to actually send us a picture of himself with the cranks. So what is your point?

(edit: and regarding the power meter. I don't deny they could be useful. All I asked for is just one scientific study that "proves" that training with one is superior to training using other methods of evaluating effort. It doesn't exist. That is what is asked of me and we actually have one. That is all I am pointing out. There is a double standard here)

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Nov 22, 07 20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

"That fact that someone or, even, everyone, has called me on the carpet for supposed failures does not make them true."

According to you, Frank, they're never true. Ever. Even when they are - perhaps most particularly when they are - true.
If you can demonstrate to me that what I am saying or claiming to not be true beyond it goes beyond what you believe to be true then I will admit my mistake and correct it. that is all I am asking for, a specific instance in which I have had an ethical failure (and failing to admit to a mistake I would take as an ethical failure).
In Reply To:

I'm actually not terribly interested in debating with you further... or at all, to be honest. You have answered my initial question, and really, that's all I was looking for.

Your reality is a place into which no light may enter.

Good luck with that. .
Your failure to submit a single specific example makes me stronger. Thanks for that.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Your failure to submit a single specific example makes me stronger. Thanks for that. "

Yeah. Of course it does.

You're welcome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Your failure to submit a single specific example makes me stronger. Thanks for that.

OK, I will. You claim that 'most users' can expect a 40% gain in power, and you also claim that most of your users are trained athletes. This, of course, is complete bullshit. And, of course, you can't provide a single case study where a well-trained athlete has experienced a 40% increase. NOT ONE. Yet MOST USERS will experience this gain? How the hell is that possible?

I know--Joaquin--or that 11 year old girl that was going to beat Lance up Ventoux or whatever....

It's funny. Most of your 'detractors' seem to think that you're an idiot or a scam artist--or both. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and just think that your passion for your product just manifests itself in a perfect demonstration of every cognitive bias ever defined. However, in your responses in this thread, you're really doing your best to prove me wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After you get Frank to say uncle, your next mission, if you accept it, will be to get Dave to admit that short cranks work as well for him as 200mm cranks.

By the way, what had been a rather stunning "gotcha' has now been obfuscated by several pages of "you are"/"no you are." (Not blaming you, and sorry about your car being broken into.)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
. Magnus has told us he has ridden them for as long as 6 hours and he likes training on them on the cobbles in preparation for PR and he is one of the few pros nice enough to actually send us a picture of himself with the cranks. So what is your point?[/reply] Post them up. It would be simple to prove that Maggie uses them.

Prev Next