Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he didn't even end up the top American. Too bad for him. How does the U.S. pick their males for the team then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this makes chicago even a bigger deal for the US men. do spain, france and RSA give auto slots for the podium today?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who would have thought that both A Brownlee and J Brownlee will be dependant on a discretionary place!

In fact 66% of the GBR team (if not 5 out of 6) will be discretionary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
Live results are for some reason showing Zaferes in at 27th place, 3:01 back. Wonder what's up with that.

Probably completely cracked on the last lap. He's said in interviews that he basically has given up on racing well in the heat. Likely went way too deep trying to stay in qualifying position.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Discretionary?

Yeah I suppose but that was always on the cards with absurdly high standards and strong susceptibility to injury.

The 3rd British man was never going to podium twice regardless.
Last edited by: messien: Aug 2, 15 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stumps wrote:
Who would have thought that both A Brownlee and J Brownlee will be dependant on a discretionary place!

I admire A Brownlee for turning up without complaining about his condition but I do wonder what the longer term benefit of running injured is. After his London one-legged 10K in 2013, he spent a couple of months in a surgical boot.

Anyway, congratulations to Gomez, Luis and Murray. Interesting how yet again, Mola can't run off a hard bike, what they called in Australia a "flat track bully." Also, interesting that the hill sapped legs but didn't really create the sort of carnage I was expecting. Which is probably a good thing because it makes for a fairer race.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a huge drop-off in that last lap for him. He must have started to walk once the chase pack caught him.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you were spot on, Brownlee clearly not run fit. I just don't understand why he started at all to be honest, why not stay at home and get properly fit? It's not as though any of the other GB men were likely to get a podium. I have heard that they are an absolute nightmare to coach, just trying to smash themselves in every session hence all the injuries!
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
Looks like he didn't even end up the top American. Too bad for him. How does the U.S. pick their males for the team then?

It'll be decided at the Grand Final in Chicago and/or a TBD race between March - May 2016. Here's the full excerpt from USAT:

Quote:
The selection period for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Triathlon Team begins in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 1-2 with the ITU test event. U.S. elite triathletes competing in the Rio de Janeiro ITU World Olympic Qualification Event must finish in the top eight overall to automatically qualify for an Olympic Games spot, and a maximum of two athletes per gender may qualify. If two spots are not earned at the Rio de Janeiro ITU World Olympic Qualification Event, one automatic qualifying spot will be available at the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in Chicago on Sept. 18-19, granted the athlete finishes in the top eight.
The third selection event will be an ITU Olympic-distance, draft-legal event to be held between March 1-May 31, 2016, with exact dates and location to be determined. Event information and specific qualification details will be posted at usatriathlon.org within seven days of ITU posting the final 2016 calendar of events. If spots still remain after the three selection events, athletes may be selected by the Elite Athlete Selection Committee and/or an Objective Ranking System. Details of all qualification processes are available at usatriathlon.org/gamescriteria.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
That's a huge drop-off in that last lap for him. He must have started to walk once the chase pack caught him.

Probably not walking, but slowing down dramatically. Assuming an accurate course and live timing, I had his four laps as 7:40, 8:22, 8:48, and 9:51, and he got caught right at the beginning of the last lap. These guys all positive split like crazy, so those first three laps aren't quite as bad as they might look. But that last lap, while slower than the rest by a long shot, is 39:24 pace for 10k, so he was running, just human speed.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if I could get on Luis to win gold next year at 10-1 odds I would bet the house. Right now there are only 4 guys who could win and 2 of them are injured. I think in a 10k Luis would beat Gomez, he just doesn't run quite as well as Gomez at this point (off the bike).

For the U.S. Men... I can see Joe Malloy finishing top 8. Today was a great run by him. He demonstrated enough swim talent in college that he certainly could come out with the first group.

One other observation: the swim in ITU has been described as a pass fail endeavor. For the men it seems that a new definition of pass is emerging. These guys can really swim. I don't think there was a slower than 16:00/1500m guy in that first group. If it is pass/fail the passing grade is 90%
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
if I could get on Luis to win gold next year at 10-1 odds I would bet the house.

Would you have bet the house on him this time last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Betting the house would be an absurdly idiotic decision considering it is probable that at least one of the Brownlees will be fit and Gomez is currently dominate over Luis at Olympic distance.

There are other threats too - Murray, Mola, Hauss.

Betting 0.15House would be more appropriate given the risk/reward and current state of liquid assets and debt.
Last edited by: messien: Aug 2, 15 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
if I could get on Luis to win gold next year at 10-1 odds I would bet the house. Right now there are only 4 guys who could win and 2 of them are injured. I think in a 10k Luis would beat Gomez, he just doesn't run quite as well as Gomez at this point (off the bike).
For the U.S. Men... I can see Joe Malloy finishing top 8. Today was a great run by him. He demonstrated enough swim talent in college that he certainly could come out with the first group.
One other observation: the swim in ITU has been described as a pass fail endeavor. For the men it seems that a new definition of pass is emerging. These guys can really swim. I don't think there was a slower than 16:00/1500m guy in that first group. If it is pass/fail the passing grade is 90%

Ya, these guys are the true three sport athletes:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course not, but you guys don't understand anything about gambling. Luis isn't likely - at all - to win gold. But 10-1 would be great value. The fact that I put him a 10-1 means I don't think he will win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understand gambling?

You just said you'd bet the house on something that "isn't likely - at all - to win". You do understand what betting the house means?
Last edited by: messien: Aug 2, 15 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In betting circles it means you are willing to bet 5 x your standard unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laughable nonsense.

To bet the house is an idiom meaning to bet virtually everything you own. It unequivocally is to risk it all.
Last edited by: messien: Aug 2, 15 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To bet the house is an idiom meaning to bet virtually everything you own. //

Perhaps his standard bet is 1/5 of his net worth. That would make you both right… (-;

Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be hilarious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
Laughable nonsense.

To bet the house is an idiom meaning to bet virtually everything you own. It unequivocally is to risk it all.

If I am playing poker it means I go in. If I am betting sports it means I bet very heavily. It does not litteraly mean I put the deed to my house up as collateral. An idiom is by its nature a figure of speech. Well, I suppose some idiot has once uttered the phrase "I bet the house" to mean that they put the deed to their house up as collateral on a bet; I will not accuse you of not being one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
It'll be decided at the Grand Final in Chicago and/or a TBD race between March - May 2016. Here's the full excerpt from USAT:

Quote:

The selection period for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Triathlon Team begins in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 1-2 with the ITU test event. U.S. elite triathletes competing in the Rio de Janeiro ITU World Olympic Qualification Event must finish in the top eight overall to automatically qualify for an Olympic Games spot, and a maximum of two athletes per gender may qualify. If two spots are not earned at the Rio de Janeiro ITU World Olympic Qualification Event, one automatic qualifying spot will be available at the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in Chicago on Sept. 18-19, granted the athlete finishes in the top eight.
The third selection event will be an ITU Olympic-distance, draft-legal event to be held between March 1-May 31, 2016, with exact dates and location to be determined. Event information and specific qualification details will be posted at usatriathlon.org within seven days of ITU posting the final 2016 calendar of events. If spots still remain after the three selection events, athletes may be selected by the Elite Athlete Selection Committee and/or an Objective Ranking System. Details of all qualification processes are available at usatriathlon.org/gamescriteria.

Ok. Still doesn't answer the question I've been kicking around in my head about what Katie Z. needs to do to qualify (she got sixth today).

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Aug 2, 15 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm not sure either what happens in this situation, since the two spots have already been taken. I'm curious to know how exactly the "Elite Athlete Selection Committee" will handle it. If no men got top 8 at Chicago or that TBD race, then I'll really want to know how the spots will be handled. Without going into detail, I've heard from a few people that there's a lot of politics involved in picking these USA Triathlon Olympic teams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
Without going into detail, I've heard from a few people that there's a lot of politics involved in picking these USA Triathlon Olympic teams.

That's the case with every team though. Way back when, Gomez was not cleared to race at all for Spain because of alleged health reasons. And don't even get Macca started about Olympic selection committee in Oz...

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, no more women's spots up for grabs until the TBD race. Men it's only top American within top 8 in Chicago.
The 2016 race will have pretty harsh standards, top 3 if it's a WTS, either top 3 or win if it's a WC, or win if it's a CC.
If the standards aren't met after Chicago/the 2016 event, it opens up opportunity for one domestique side (likely women only if Katie doesn't meet auto qual next spring, unless one man goes top 8 in Chicago and meets criteria next spring), then it's a weighted ranking system of Rio, Stockholm, Edmonton, Chicago, and the 2016 event. There's no strictly discretionary selection process.

Full details here:
http://www.usatriathlon.org/~/media/da2fd00ba79c44d9ba7d0db4f955f1a9.ashx

IG: idking90
Last edited by: iank: Aug 2, 15 16:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next