Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Quintana used to be that sort of rider when the road tilted up, but more recently in grand tours(TDF in particular) with the win on the line, he seems to race more conservatively, just following wheels. It's all a bit maddening.

For the Giro so far, I don't think that's fair. There was absolutely nothing conservative about Quintana repeatedly attacking on the Blockhaus until there was no one left and all the other GC contenders were in damage control mode. And in Stage 15, field-sprinting for 2nd.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quintana used to be that sort of rider when the road tilted up, but more recently in grand tours(TDF in particular) with the win on the line, he seems to race more conservatively, just following wheels. It's all a bit maddening.

---
Maybe I'm way off but doesn't that seem to be how GT racing goes? X new climber goes off and climbs to the gods then we pronounce him the next GC favorite for next 5 years and then we beat our heads waiting for those same fireworks every big mt stage and then we are left with "well shit that was a dud" feeling more times than not. But Q is like, bro I'm just doing all I can to maitain this podium, "go big or go home" is for the Freds' of the world.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fleck wrote:

For the Giro so far, I don't think that's fair. There was absolutely nothing conservative about Quintana repeatedly attacking on the Blockhaus until there was no one left and all the other GC contenders were in damage control mode. And in Stage 15, field-sprinting for 2nd.

Tomorrow's stage to Val Gardena has a pretty tough saw tooth profile on a "short day", but it looks like it packs in 3300m of vertical in around 137K

Midway through the stage the summit of Passo Valparolo caps out at 14% just before the descent. After that there are two more solid climbs and a short 200m hump before the finish. That 14% grade has to be the one for the smaller riders to make a run for the rest of the stage, but its really an obvious place to attack and TD should be ready. Also before the stage finish there is a final 12% grade to create separation for stage finish bonus seconds

My 2 cents is that unless some kind of ambush materializes, the entire GC group basically finishes the last climb in a parade and then the small climbers all attack each other for bonus placement seconds if there is no breakaway with guys in it 10-15 minutes down. If a breakaway stays away, then there will be a a group parade almost to the finish line and then very small separation. Stage seems too short for anyone to bonk, but they just had back to back 6 hour days, so you never know who went too deep.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dumoulin has a good shot of staying in the Maglia Rosa tomorrow. Sure, the final KOM (which ends with 5km) is back loaded, but after the 5km to go mark, the road flattens out, and we even get some cobbled sections. Dumoulin might get dropped before the KOM but will probably crawl back to limit his loses. Should be an interesting day
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I think Dumoulin has a good shot of staying in the Maglia Rosa tomorrow. Sure, the final KOM (which ends with 5km) is back loaded, but after the 5km to go mark, the road flattens out, and we even get some cobbled sections. Dumoulin might get dropped before the KOM but will probably crawl back to limit his loses. Should be an interesting day

It will also be interesting to see who potentially runs out of gas after back to back ~6 hour days into the third week. There is always going to be one athlete who just caves. I don't want that athlete to be Dumoulin, Quintana or Nibali. I want these guys to race and decide it on legs and cardio only....but you never know. Quintana is on his third grand tour in only 10 months, but that guy never really blows up either
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think TD does a lot of stem starin' today, staying within himself as best he can, no panic unless, of course, he needs to let fly again. I'd like to see him win it all, but today is key. He could flat out blow up. He rode so smart on Blokhaus. When NQ went on the steep section, he kept it together and rolled him up later and NQ was then just hanging on. NQ's real advantage is on the steep grades. Other than that, guys can hang with him.

Joe D and Cannondale for the win. :)

Or Yates.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rosskopf would be good, too

Jest aside, this is brutal, and Dumoulib is quickly isolated. His team needs to hang tough for another 3 climbs, and i dont see it happening...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Jest aside, this is brutal, and Dumoulib is quickly isolated. His team needs to hang tough for another 3 climbs, and i dont see it happening...

Ha, yes....psyched to see Joe in the break!.......Jesper Stuyven is now in....strong group
Last edited by: McNulty: May 25, 17 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Who is in the breakaway. I see the Maglia Rosa group down 2:22. Is Nibali in the break? There was some banter in french about Nibali, but I missed what group he is in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I see Anacona, Amador, Rolland, Teejay and Landa in the break. .Looks like 2 other Cannondale in there. Are Woods and Formolo with Rolland?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see Nibali attacking on the 3rd climb (Gardena) and using his descending skills. It's a super long decent with a short climb in the middle before the last climb to the finish. I can't imagine he won't put the pressure on there. I wish I could see this live!

devashish_paul wrote:
OK, I see Anacona, Amador, Rolland, Teejay and Landa in the break. .Looks like 2 other Cannondale in there. Are Woods and Formolo with Rolland?

Viella and Dombro

Bonesbrigade wrote:
I can see Nibali attacking on the 3rd climb (Gardena) and using his descending skills. It's a super long decent with a short climb in the middle before the last climb to the finish. I can't imagine he won't put the pressure on there. I wish I could see this live!

will be an exciting stage indeed; time to chill your prosecco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Dombrowski and Rolland for Cannondale. Tejay and Rosskopf for BMC. No Rally guys in the break.
Good for Joe for busting this group up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
espresso then prosecco. what a day.

some hard punching today. good stage. I hope NQ and Nibs are waiting for a last climb throw-down.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quintana starts punching early

Dumoulin able to benefit a bit from work of Nibble's work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Play by play has been great from cyclingnews. Seems they are going for it today!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nibbles and Quintana caught. First fire extinguished
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is good.......scenery is okay too...Villella, right...would have been a big ask of Rolland...Formolo has another clear shot today
Last edited by: McNulty: May 25, 17 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great riding, entertaining stage...I have to think if they can pop off another attack or 2 that may be the end? Of course attacking and re-attacking may not be so easy. solid day of riding by all.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great racing going on.

TD seems to have great instinct on these climbs, waiting out the attack and catching them by the top.

I hope he crushes dream on the final climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
this is good.......scenery is okay too...Villella, right...would have been a big ask of Rolland...Formolo has another clear shot today

Formolo has been towed along by the Malia Rosa group. should be fresh
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe D is gonna have a go on the climb if they're getting caught.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [any] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those are nice roads and beautiful mountains. this is a pretty Giro.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Formolo has been towed along by the Malia Rosa group. should be fresh

Except I don't see him....did he get dropped?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Joe D is gonna have a go on the climb if they're getting caught.

Cannondale dropped the ball on the descent. Should have at least one guy with TVG and Landa.
Quote Reply

Prev Next