Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah on the old gen 1 sc, the bike were different and the 7 series didn't have the integrated front end. On the new bike the 7.5 model and above all had the integrated front end which IMO is the best buy since the bike was released 4 years ago.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
kileyay wrote:
That said, I have a black-on-black 7 series on order. Should be here in November. Pretty stoked about it.

Are you trying to be like me? ;)

Just curious.... were you not able to order a 9 series? I've been meaning to ask my LBS this but I keep forgetting to.

The 9 series is no more for 2018. Trek only has one "stock" model Speed Concept - the previous 7.5 with the new Ultegra group set and 50mm faired wheels at $4000. Stock Colorway is black on black. For a $500 upcharge, you are into project 1 and have a choice of 5 colors and component sizing.

For a superbike, I like the way Trek is approaching the SC. You can get a ready to race superbike with decent wheels at $4000. From there, you can figure it pretty much anyway you want it by going the P1 route.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I've gathered online as well. I just haven't heard anything official from a trek dealer or someone who has recently tried to order a 2018 bike. And since Carl isn't there anymore, we can't ask him either.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize it doesn't really matter in terms of performance, but any idea on the weight diff between the 2017 9 series and the 2018 frames?
And, would anyone ever really notice the difference in stiffness of the lower end carbon??

** Edit - whatever the weight diff is, I -think- I remember Carl stating that a lot of the weight diff was actually in the seat post - carbon for 9 series, aluminum for 7 series.... Looks like the 2018 comes with the aluminum post.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Sep 14, 17 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
I thought you were sold on the Premier Tactical.

I'm not sure if I'm sold yet. There are some aesthetic issues with the (slack) post and of the paint job/decals and then there are still some product issues (can't use my own cups/pads). All of those issues are easily fixed.

Besides that, I need to spend some time with a demo Tactical -- once a small exists in the U.S. that hasn't been committed to a buyer -- for review purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Just curious.... were you not able to order a 9 series?

I didn't try. I'm getting the SC7 for $2350, and the SC9 would be at least 50% more. Plus I really dig the black on black, as opposed to the red on black.

No chance I ever would have bought last year's 7 series, with it's skinny fork and minuscule base bar airfoil, not to mention the color scheme.

But yeah, the minor differences in stiffness and weight just aren't worth the price premium for me. Funny where we draw the line on this stuff...
Last edited by: kileyay: Sep 14, 17 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
But yeah, the minor differences in stiffness and weight just aren't worth the price premium for me. Funny where we draw the line on this stuff...

what wheel product is currently sitting in your house...???
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
stevej wrote:
Just curious.... were you not able to order a 9 series?

I didn't try. I'm getting the SC7 for $2350, ...

Ugghh...not fair. That's about 2900 Canadian. Price at my LBS is 3999 + tax (15%) Can. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
kileyay wrote:

what wheel product is currently sitting in your house...???

That wheel purchase decision would be best stated as follows: The major difference in tubeless compatibility vs. non-tubeless compatibility is worth the price premium for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are still some Series 9 framesets available (black/red) they come with the nicer carbon, speedbox and the carbon fork so depending on your deal level with your Trek dealer it may be worth it. If not the new 2018 7 series frame looks the business.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
there are still some Series 9 framesets available (black/red) they come with the nicer carbon, speedbox and the carbon fork so depending on your deal level with your Trek dealer it may be worth it. If not the new 2018 7 series frame looks the business.

You mean post, right? They both have the same fork, no? Good catch on the speed box. It's about a 1k difference in price here in Canada, so the speed box knocks about 100 off that.. I have to admit I'd be tempted to get the 9 series...but thats just me. :)

- Whoops, scratch that, 2k difference here in Canada.. F*ck...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Sep 14, 17 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
elf6c wrote:

You mean post, right? They both have the same fork, no? Good catch on the speed box. It's about a 1k difference in price here in Canada, so the speed box knocks about 100 off that.. I have to admit I'd be tempted to get the 9 series...but thats just me. :)

- Whoops, scratch that, 2k difference here in Canada.. F*ck...

I would have to imagine trek is now including the carbon seatpost in there 7 series 2018 bikes. Considering this is their only 2018 offering and a lot of people will be ordering it with di2 so they need somewhere to put the internal battery. The 9 series carbon seatpost is required to mount the di2 internal battery.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, he meant post. the series 7 has a carbon fork and alloy seatpost

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
The 9 series carbon seatpost is required to mount the di2 internal battery.

Putting it in the seat tube isn't such a big deal, is it? That's what I do with all my other bikes.

I'll probably end up drilling through the top of the post anyways so I can put the junction box under the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per Dexter, 2017 7 series frame module comes out to 8.8 pounds. 2017 9 series frame module is 8.3 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
stevej wrote:
The 9 series carbon seatpost is required to mount the di2 internal battery.

Putting it in the seat tube isn't such a big deal, is it? That's what I do with all my other bikes.

I'll probably end up drilling through the top of the post anyways so I can put the junction box under the saddle.

The carbon seat post comes with threaded taps underneath the post and a metal mounting bracket to hold the battery in place in the seatpost. It's really freaking easy and brilliant. Sure you could probably rig something up to make the aluminum seat post work but why not just get the carbon one that is designed to mount an internal battery? If you can't get a 2018 9 series anymore, trek should be supplying their 2018 bikes with the carbon seatpost. You'll have to let us know when you get yours.

Are you referring to junction A or B to put it in the seatpost? If you are referring to junction B, just leave it in the BB. There's no issue doing that. No sense hacking up the seatpost.

If you haven't already..... read up on this.... https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just perfect how this thread has evolved into a 2018 7-series SC buying guide.

Regarding the seatpost for the battery install - I simply wrapped the battery in bubble wrap and jammed it in to the seat tube. Then used a couple small pieces of gorilla tape at the bottom of the post.

Regarding the junction box, I believe Kiley is referring to the SM-EW90 junction (the one you use to charge your di2 battery). Only peasants mount this junction on top of the stem cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm referring to Junction A. Zip tied to the rails. I don't want cables on my front end.

Yeah, it's a good point, maybe I'll ask the shop to upgrade me for the $150. But will pain me to drill into that.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Regarding the junction box, I believe Kiley is referring to the SM-EW90 junction (the one you use to charge your di2 battery). Only peasants mount this junction on top of the stem cover.

How does one route the cables to the JB in the seatpost when you run bull horn shifters and TT shifters?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extra B junction up front in the stem area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you end up with this thing of beauty:

Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you end up putting two of those junction B's in the front end since they only have 4 connections right? Assuming you are using bull horn shifters.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, unless you're using synchro shift or 1x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Then you end up with this thing of beauty:

It looks results in losing the ability to carry a bottle behind the saddle though

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I do have a BTS zip-tied. Can snap a pic and post.
Quote Reply

Prev Next