Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of you guys are smart and can make up your own mind as to the truth. Put on your big boy pants and assess the information you have available.

-------
Kiley so that was sorta my point and I thought everything you said was cool until you added the "red flag" part about companies. If your trying to push info to consumers, by all means push the good/bad/indifferent. But let the consumers be the ones that decide whether it's a red flag or not for a company (it validates your thoughts much much more if you allow the consumer to come to that conclusion with the info you provide).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
I wasn't praising how he responded to a bike manufacturer. I edited his long response to a poster who basically said he was full of shit.

i understood what you wrote and the sentiment behind it. just, i've watched for upwards of a year as diamondback, cervelo for its p5x, and any number of companies have gotten shat on and many of those companies have quietly been found to have produced very good products.

in this case, diamondback has been roundly shat on for producing a bike, selling it, dropping the ball on processing a timely refund (which it has acknowledged). prior to dropping the ball, in an attempt to satisfy the customer it did (as i understand it) send out 2 forks, 3 stems, and spent quite a lot of time trying to troubleshoot and fix a problem, which doesn't sound to me indicative of bad customer service.

this was a technical problem that i can't duplicate and that to the best of my knowledge no one else has been able to duplicate. i'm not going to go as far as the person who kiley lost his cool at, because i'm not prepared to dispute kiley's experience. i can only talk about my experience.

that established, one option is that kiley got a faulty bike; another option is that he didn't. i don't know which. just, as a former bike maker who introduced this category of bike you all own, boy do i have stories of consumers and shop mechanics! i say this casting no aspersions on kiley's experience, because it's his experience and i wasn't there.

over the past 5 years i've owned 2 speed concepts, a felt DA, i spent a fair bit of time on a cervelo p5x, i just built, rode and tested a scott plasma premium, and then there's this diamondback in my workshop, and there are some other tri bikes i'm forgetting. they're all great bikes. they all built up great, rode great, handled, started, stopped, adjusted, shifted. there's more breathiness and hyperventilation about the performance of products than is appropriate, because when these products fail to live up to their promise often it's because the products aren't properly used (and sometimes i'm the one who doesn't properly use them). in another thread right now there's a "failure" of a bike; no, it's the "failure" of the aerobar; in fact the user was riding pedestals 15mm too tall with screws 15mm too short. so, another couple of brand reputations are publicly trashed because of user error.

i love consumer reviews here on this forum, but consumer readers need to understand that consumer reviews are written by consumers. i'm not a consumer. i'm a former bike maker, who built his own factory, designed his own bikes, and designed classes of bikes that were paradigm changers. i designed the way you all are fitted to these bikes, via the various methodologies, most of which are offshoots of the math and processes that i built. i'm not going to list all my palmares as a manufacturer, i just write this because for all this i am very aware of my own shortcomings as a reviewer and a mechanic. because of this i am reticent to be critical of a product until i fully understand the function of that product, and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction i want to make double darn sure it's the product's fault and not mine. i think good reviewers must approach the writing of their text with this much humility. if you don't demand this as a reader then you end up no better informed than a voter making his ballot decisions after consuming russian news off facebook.

--------------------

Amen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think, in part, what happened in this particular thread is that the issues wound up being mixed up between the product end of things, and the refund that both Diamondback and Kiley agreed to in the end.

With regard to product - this is the unfortunate byproduct of forums; they inherently wind up take issues that are unrelated to the original topic of the thread and wind up in bad places. In this instance, people were ready to damn the overall product produced in this situation. I think this is what you speak to in your comment - that if you're going to be sure to blame the product and manufacturer, be 100% sure it was their fault. And yes, of course your experience is going to color your observation - just as Kiley's experience will color his prose.

However, this thread (although about what was deemed by both Kiley and Diamondback to be an issue with the product relative to the consumer's satisfaction) was about Diamondback's failure to issue a prompt refund. That's a completely separate issue, IMO, from the product itself. It's here where Diamondback completely failed. Based on all interactions, including Mr. Westover's post in this thread, Kiley got his chain yanked around undeservedly. That, IMO, is far more important to a consumer and to you as a former bike manufacturer than the product itself.

Things will go wrong. You know this. It's how your company responds during the course of that service that makes or breaks your company. Diamondback performed a lot of excellent service for Kiley, until it didn't. And when they didn't, they really didn't.

At the end of the day, I would still ride an Andean or a Serios, because I think they're still excellent bikes and I think Diamondback wouldn't ever let this situation happen again. But if I were to hear another story of a failed refund, I would seriously reconsider support of their company.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
kileyay wrote:
There was a failure at Diamondback here -- that is not disputable -- and even if there was no product failure, there was a customer service failure on the back end. I trust that they will learn from this.

Agree.

In this situation Diamondback was way too trusting and generous and perhaps offered a refund prematurely.

Are you planning on purchasing a DB or are you just aimlessly talking shit to Kiley?

Because I've read this entire thread and I'm no longer considering a DB. Kiley is not the one who broke his word in this situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
before slowtwitch, in the 1990s, i was a regular on rec.sport.rst, the usenet newsgroup for triathlon. my user name was QRman, and habitues of that newsgroup were called RSTers.

one day a post showed up on that newsgroup entitled, "QRman screws RSTer" and detailed how my bad customer service failed this customer. the OP was met by a cascade of responses berating him. i posted once i saw the thread, and wrote something to the effect of, "thank you, but please don't come to my defense! i did screw this RSTer. i didn't mean to screw him. my policies governing our processes were designed not to screw him. however, screw him i did, because of a perfect storm of mix-ups."

this happens to every company. we had a guy here take his beef with 3T public and i don't know how to rank gerard vroomen and superdave in the heirarchy of taking care of the customer, but both are in the customer service hall of fame. somehow, sometimes, there is a mutation in the RNA of a company's processes. it seems pretty clear to me that diamondback's customer service response to kiley was blameless and comprehensive. until it wasn't.

and then we had this thread here which is basically a modern day, "DBman screws STer," with which as you see i'm familiar, and to which the company responded. you are right to conclude it's a strike against the company. but i was sent a draft of steve westover's response (posted above) just before steve posted it on the forum, and that told me most of what i need to know about this company that i didn't know already.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 15, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Brushman wrote:
kileyay wrote:
There was a failure at Diamondback here -- that is not disputable -- and even if there was no product failure, there was a customer service failure on the back end. I trust that they will learn from this.

Agree.

In this situation Diamondback was way too trusting and generous and perhaps offered a refund prematurely.

Are you planning on purchasing a DB or are you just aimlessly talking shit to Kiley?

Because I've read this entire thread and I'm no longer considering a DB. Kiley is not the one who broke his word in this situation.

Kilyay is going to talk to DB and straighten things out. DB acknowledged there was an issue and are fixing it. If the physical problem has been solved then likely Kilyay would ride the bike and DB should be praised for getting to the bottom of it.

mistakes happen. people get wound up. reasonable people move on.

I would consider a BD because of this thread. DB aren't on this thread bashing Kilyay or other deflective tactics. Their post came a day or so after the initial post. This makes me believe they were making sure they had all the info before they muddied the water further.. The post here is sticking to the facts. Is telling us what happened in a mature and reasonable way. They have tried to sort out the issue with their bike and think they may in fact have sorted the problem.

I wonder if they would let Kilyay 'borrow' a bike for a bit and see if the problem is resolved. i wonder if Kilyay would be willing to take the bike back and provide a review.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [Steve Westover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely I can't be the only one who has a hard time buying that the problem was magically solved by cleaning the steerer tube? If that's the case, I could/should have experienced several catastrophic crashes, yet have NEVER experienced this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its common knowledge not to grease or get grease on a carbon steerer tube for this reason. Not saying they greased it but its been stated that this can happen if grease gets on the steerer tube clamping surface.
grease plus a too narrow steerer or to wide stem could be just add up to the perfect storm.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Sep 15, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When are we going to talk about Speed Concepts again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right. I think I would specifically call to attention that the response Steve posted is exactly the kind of response that restores people's confidence in a company through adversity. That kind of response (and yours, admitting failure) IMO is perfect.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
Surely I can't be the only one who has a hard time buying that the problem was magically solved by cleaning the steerer tube? If that's the case, I could/should have experienced several catastrophic crashes, yet have NEVER experienced this issue.

at the same time iam sure there is people, thinking how is it not possible to get this stem tight enough.
using a shimmy made of a soda can ( ie similar to what cervelo used for the old alu cervelo p3 seat post clamp )
that would have certainly been the first thing i would have tried had i felt that either fork was a bit too narrow or stem a bit too wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:

This I can understand, but since it is just a matter of stem-on-fork clamping issue I also have a hard time in getting that several stems, at least 3 forks if I read it correctly and none of the several stem / fork combinations seem to have worked. Which I find hard to get since I got my Andean just after Kiley wrote his first initial review were he mentioned this issue for the first time so i think we have had the same type of frame/fork. No updates or something done on them. It was him that set me on the right track to shave of a few mm from the pinching bolt to get the stem clamped tight as hell on the steerer column. And he was spot on, because with the extra few mm on the pinching bolt I couldn't get it tight. But the few mm shaved of solved the issue completely.

Since I f*ckd up one stem by trying to be creative with it, I received another and this had also no issues with that second stem. And you bet that those first few weeks of riding I stopped several times to re-check and double check play on the head set or movement of the stem and bars due to Kiley's initial review. I rode with my Torque wrench at hand to see if the pinch bolt would come loose, if there was play in the headset or in the cap and bolt on top of the stem.

It was just after 2 months that I have had enough 'faith' that everything was secure that I put the hard top box on top of the stem. What ever I did, after rebuilding it several times, the stem never came loose, the bars were as tight as they could be, I hit some nasty bumps and potholes. Nothing that could replicate the issue that Kiley had (other then that ultra super tight bb he also mentioned)

Which makes me wonder what it could have been that several stems, 3 different forks not could solve and as far as i read happened to no one else that ownes a DB Andean. Not saying that it didn't happen with Kiley's bike, but how small are the changes that he got 3 forks that were off in diameter and/or got several stems that all didn't work. Or did he and/or the mechanic did something on all those forks/stem/builts over and over again that made the same issue repeat itself.

Maybe a standard way, a routine if you would like, on how some parts were greased, lubed or whatever that on a different bike's stem/fork combo don't matter but just with this specific set created the issue and thus it kept coming back.
Not accusing anyone, just really curious since I own an Andean.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
Kilyay is going to talk to DB and straighten things out. DB acknowledged there was an issue and are fixing it. If the physical problem has been solved then likely Kilyay would ride the bike and DB should be praised for getting to the bottom of it.

mistakes happen. people get wound up. reasonable people move on.

I would consider a BD because of this thread. DB aren't on this thread bashing Kilyay or other deflective tactics. Their post came a day or so after the initial post. This makes me believe they were making sure they had all the info before they muddied the water further.. The post here is sticking to the facts. Is telling us what happened in a mature and reasonable way. They have tried to sort out the issue with their bike and think they may in fact have sorted the problem.

I wonder if they would let Kilyay 'borrow' a bike for a bit and see if the problem is resolved. i wonder if Kilyay would be willing to take the bike back and provide a review.

Absolutely. But, of course, my point was about attacking the messenger here. Kiley's original post wasn't in error. It was a negative customer service experience.

DB has seemingly done alright outside of the refund issue. Some people are okay with that and will consider purchasing a bike in spite of the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have time to get involved with a potential problem like that. So I move on. I like to learn from others' mistakes, as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm well aware one shouldn't lube a steerer, as I'd assume any reputable mechanic would as well. I'm curious as to what steps DB took to ensure the issue was in fact related to the assembly and not a very forward, very long, and very low position putting a lot of leverage on a cut down steerer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
I'm well aware one shouldn't lube a steerer, as I'd assume any reputable mechanic would as well. I'm curious as to what steps DB took to ensure the issue was in fact related to the assembly and not a very forward, very long, and very low position putting a lot of leverage on a cut down steerer.

Do you perhaps have Kiley's set up, or if Kiley reads this maybe he can give his dimensions. Although we are on different frame sizes I wonder if I could duplicate the same sort of leverage. It might not be 100% perfect but just to see how close I can get and see how much leverage difference there is and if i can replicate the issue.

It would be interesting, for both / all parties involved, if they could ship the bike, with their built, back to him and see what happens. That would clear all the issues. If I was DB I would do this just to clear things up and in the end show that nothing was wrong with the specific parts used. Or if it was the set up that was too long and too low that the leverage was too high they just would have said that. Now it just got this who is right and what is the truth feeling hanging around it.

Jeroen

Last edited by: tri-run: Sep 15, 17 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was quite a lot to write - when detailing that you're simply pro manufacturer would suffice. With seeming no ability to feign objectivity. Or attempt to understand how consumers could be sold bikes, that are now exceedingly complicated and surpass the level of knowledge and expertise available at their local LBS. And in those situations, its the consumers fault. In your opinion at least. In Kileys own experience - after all of that trial and error and effort on DBs side - they failed to advise on what would seem to be a simple solution. That could have easily been outlined in whatever build documentation is included with these bikes.

At what point is it not the manufacturers responsibility to ensure the shops they're selling into have the adequate knowledge to service the end consumer?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
... after all of that trial and error and effort on DBs side - they failed to advise on what would seem to be a simple solution. That could have easily been outlined in whatever build documentation is included with these bikes.

At what point is it not the manufacturers responsibility to ensure the shops they're selling into have the adequate knowledge to service the end consumer?

The way I read it, DB didn't know the solution until they had his bike back in their hands, so they didn't fail to advise.

And, they didn't sell the bike into that shop, kiley bought the bike online, and took it to a mechanic of his choice. Nothing wrong with that, but DB can't personally train every mechanic in the world.

Of course, DB dropped the ball on the refund, and while that created a major pain in the ass for Kiley, he had the paypal protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have the same length stem that kiley had. i ride steep. i'm heavier than he is. i ride on shitty roads like he does. i don't have his problem. i'm not suggesting any causation, i just don't know how exactly DB is supposed to continue to chase this, unless you're suggesting building a dedicated testing machine that doesn't currently exist for a single model of bike.

let me tell you how things really worked in the bike making business when i was a bike maker. you engineer the bike. you build the bike. you test the bike on testing machines. you follow all CPSC and CE protocols. you put this bike underneath product testers. then you put it underneath your pro and pro team riders. now, after the thing has been ridden by 40 or so people you put it out there for sale.

and then you wait to find out what's wrong with your bike.

because consumers are going to do things you couldn't possibly believe they'd do, likewise bike mechanics working on stores, and the large number of consumers give you a second, more expansive test of validation because of the sheer numbers.

i can't speak for DB. however, after having given the problem a comprehensive world class noodling if i just couldn't figure out what caused the problem i'd look very hard to see if there's a second instance. if i couldn't find a second instance at some point i'd just add it to the list of mysteries of the universe.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
That was quite a lot to write - when detailing that you're simply pro manufacturer would suffice. With seeming no ability to feign objectivity. Or attempt to understand how consumers could be sold bikes, that are now exceedingly complicated and surpass the level of knowledge and expertise available at their local LBS. And in those situations, its the consumers fault. In your opinion at least. In Kileys own experience - after all of that trial and error and effort on DBs side - they failed to advise on what would seem to be a simple solution. That could have easily been outlined in whatever build documentation is included with these bikes.

In this case, that's a very difficult question to answer because Diamondback doesn't sell into any shops. They are 100% consumer direct. The bikes come fully built and - in particular with the Andean - this is why they desire to know your fit coordinates, because the bike is hard to work on, so they want to ship the bike as close as they can in a "ready-to-ride" way. This is much easier with mountain bikes - I was set up happily enough on the trail bike DB sent me after about 15min of wrenching. Harder with road bikes. And really hard with tri bikes.

The question you pose will be an ongoing challenge for Diamondback, Canyon (once they start shipping), HIA, and others. Someone like Trek who is selling direct but still maintains a dealer network has a leg up here... if you happen to live close to a good Trek dealer.

So there are, I think, quite different answers to your question depending on whether you are asking it specifically about this incident or about bike-dealer relationships more generally.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I'm wondering if there was a faulty headset bearing that leaked onto the fork upon insertion. If I was building a bike, I'd clean the fork before inserting it, and then when you put it in it gets contaminated. I could foresee a series of events where a one off bad bearing causes this through no fault of the manufacturer or builder. Note they specifically said it was bearing lube that causes the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Honestly, I'm wondering if there was a faulty headset bearing that leaked onto the fork upon insertion. If I was building a bike, I'd clean the fork before inserting it, and then when you put it in it gets contaminated. I could foresee a series of events where a one off bad bearing causes this through no fault of the manufacturer or builder. Note they specifically said it was bearing lube that causes the problem.

I was wondering the same and wondered why no one else asked - was it lube that the mechanic applied during the build, or did something come out of one of the bearings?
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
wsrobert wrote:
... after all of that trial and error and effort on DBs side - they failed to advise on what would seem to be a simple solution. That could have easily been outlined in whatever build documentation is included with these bikes.

The way I read it, DB didn't know the solution until they had his bike back in their hands, so they didn't fail to advise.

And, they didn't sell the bike into that shop, kiley bought the bike online, and took it to a mechanic of his choice. Nothing wrong with that, but DB can't personally train every mechanic in the world.

Of course, DB dropped the ball on the refund, and while that created a major pain in the ass for Kiley, he had the paypal protection.

DB has chosen a direct to consumer model. Here is one consequence of that model. As you mention, they cannot train every mech. But these are the issues they'll face following this model.

And when those issues arise, their CS better be well buttoned up. And it was, until it wasnt - and then it really wasnt. Which was the point of this entire thread. The shitty customer service. Personally I do not see how Kiley could have been anymore clear that this was uniquely his experience with the bike and the point of the thread was simply DBs inability to stand behind their promises. Many people could not only have great experiences with the bike, but also great experiences with DBs CS. Just as Dan has.

None of this seems that complicated.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i have the same length stem that kiley had. i ride steep. i'm heavier than he is. i ride on shitty roads like he does. i don't have his problem. i'm not suggesting any causation, i just don't know how exactly DB is supposed to continue to chase this, unless you're suggesting building a dedicated testing machine that doesn't currently exist for a single model of bike.

let me tell you how things really worked in the bike making business when i was a bike maker. you engineer the bike. you build the bike. you test the bike on testing machines. you follow all CPSC and CE protocols. you put this bike underneath product testers. then you put it underneath your pro and pro team riders. now, after the thing has been ridden by 40 or so people you put it out there for sale.

and then you wait to find out what's wrong with your bike.

because consumers are going to do things you couldn't possibly believe they'd do, likewise bike mechanics working on stores, and the large number of consumers give you a second, more expansive test of validation because of the sheer numbers.

i can't speak for DB. however, after having given the problem a comprehensive world class noodling if i just couldn't figure out what caused the problem i'd look very hard to see if there's a second instance. if i couldn't find a second instance at some point i'd just add it to the list of mysteries of the universe.

Lots more words - but yet you still fail to see or admit the only driver of this post. Which rests solely on DBs inability to follow through on their promise of a refund. DB was fantastic it would seem up to that point - trying to ensure that this got sorted for a customer who wanted it sorted. Personally after fork number 2, I'm asking for a refund. I dont have the time or patience. But much more was done on both sides from that regard.

But NONE of those bike issues matter. DB promised a refund and didnt follow through. What are we still talking about?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
detailing that you're simply pro manufacturer would suffice. With seeming no ability to feign objectivity.

when i saw you replied to my post i pretty much knew the tenor of the reply before reading it. on this and on every issue, one way to parse between two disparate outlooks is slowman's view versus wsrobert's view. you are of course free to believe and relay your opinion, so that readers can clearly see where your compass needle points, versus mine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Caveat emptor with Diamondback: Andean purchase experience worst ever in my tri/cycling consumerism history [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Someone like Trek who is selling direct but still maintains a dealer network has a leg up here.

did you see the other thread on this very topic of a trek consumer direct purchase? so much for trek's leg up ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next