Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [AntiMdot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to go 1/5, but after seeing that Jack replied I will regrettably score you a 4/5 on the troll scale. Well played sir.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's pretty obvious Starky is threatened by Lionel. He has laid a beat down on Andrew several times this year. It has to be demoralizing to watch someone blow the doors off you on the run. I find it odd that when Andrew destroys people on the bike, it's attributed to pure ability and hard work. But when someone hands him his lunch on the run, then he has to be doping or had previously doped. The idea that prior drug use has somehow enhanced Lionel's performance is grasping at straws. He has no chance of beating the guy. Lionel's story is one we should all take inspiration in. The guy was as low as someone can go and battled all the way back!! Good on him... I hope Starky doesn't back out of IMFL, I'm sure The L-Train will be waiting :)
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever happened to Bjorn BTW?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CgyTriGuy wrote:
This guy always seems to have an excuse or complaint for so many of his races...I've started a list below, please add to the ones I have missed:

Kona 2013: Tainted Perform drink.
Kona 2014 DNF: Was on crutches at 70.3 Worlds. Whines about people not taking lie detector test after his DNF.
Challenge New Albany: Tubular ripped off the rim
WildFlower: Seat post dropped
Oceanside 70.3: Sick leading into race
IMFL 2013: leg cramps at 10km

Can somebody please have a WAMBULANCE ready at IMFL for this guy? He's already whining that Lionel Sanders has an unfair advantage from his drug use in the past.

IMFL 2014: DNS. I'm so shocked to hear this.

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [AntiMdot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AntiMdot wrote:

On the Lionel Sanders part, I am surprised that it took so long for somebody to say something because a lot of the pro's have been whispering about it at races...Starky just said that he did so much drugs that it damaged his neurons. There has been hundreds of medical studies proving that recreational drugs permanently kills the brain. This is the most logical explanation I have heard for Sanders "sudden" rise in the sport.

If this is the most 'logical' thing you've heard, you should conclude that this is a very weak argument. If you 'believe' this logic, ...oh boy!

Drugs damage the brain. True. But not for the better.

Fact - Cocaine abuse is associate with a DECREASE in pain tolerance. That would not benefit performance.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/...pii/0885392494902038

Sarykowicz's logic the benefits of cocaine abuse on pain tolerance is ass-backward.

Please people, don't simply accept the interpretation without questioning / validating the logic first.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
If it's true that he was doing drugs while he was competing in running how is it different from "cycling" doping? All recreational drugs are on the banned list so if you want to be technical about it... yeah, he doped.

I have to wonder about some of this.

Ross Rebagliati was caught with traces of marijuana in his blood after after winning the Gold Medal in the dual slalom snowboarding event. Think about it for a second - would a drug, that slows your reaction time as well as rendering other negative effects on the body and the CNS, be looked upon as an ADVANTAGE, in an event where you are hurtling down an icy slope at 50+ miles/hour, having to make split second decisions and pushing muscles to there limits?

Just saying. Just asking.

Not saying it's a good thing to do, but taking a barbituate can actually increase performance. I can't find the study for the life of me, but the finding was something like professional drivers were actually faster on a closed course after a few drinks of alcohol. ...The reason being is that they (the drunk drivers) took more risks out on the course that sober people wouldn't! So, a drug like alcohol or marijuana can slow your mind, but that doesn't mean that it will alway be to the detriment of performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marijuana can also sharpen vision, which could be a benefit in a slalom snowboard race - probably not beneficial for an ironman though. Although the increased appetite might help if one is struggling to take in enough calories. FWIW it is also used to treat glaucoma or if crows peck at your eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Nunchuck_Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nunchuck_Canuck wrote:
Marijuana can also sharpen vision, which could be a benefit in a slalom snowboard race - probably not beneficial for an ironman though. Although the increased appetite might help if one is struggling to take in enough calories. FWIW it is also used to treat glaucoma or if crows peck at your eyes.

I doubt the food crave you would get would include sports gels.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Fix [ In reply to ]
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
If it's true that he was doing drugs while he was competing in running how is it different from "cycling" doping? All recreational drugs are on the banned list so if you want to be technical about it... yeah, he doped.

I have to wonder about some of this.

Ross Rebagliati was caught with traces of marijuana in his blood after after winning the Gold Medal in the dual slalom snowboarding event. Think about it for a second - would a drug, that slows your reaction time as well as rendering other negative effects on the body and the CNS, be looked upon as an ADVANTAGE, in an event where you are hurtling down an icy slope at 50+ miles/hour, having to make split second decisions and pushing muscles to there limits?

Just saying. Just asking.

It helps relaxation. It was used in tennis at the highest level in the 80's (personal communication from ATP tournaments winners).

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CgyTriGuy wrote:
Can somebody please have a WAMBULANCE?

I thought that is what triathlon was all about? Terrible race.... find an excuse. It's not because I suck that I didn't win IM Oceanside 70.3, it's because my tummy hurt.

CgyTriGuy wrote:
He's already whining that Lionel Sanders has an unfair advantage from his drug use in the past.

This is an advantage. Studies have proven this already.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which ones?
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Nunchuck_Canuck wrote:

I doubt the food crave you would get would include sports gels.

This is where the Little Debbie Ironman Chattanooga could be so much more interesting.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyronman wrote:
Which ones?

Article Summary: Steroids can benefit athletes for a decade after use
Journal of Physiology: Volume 591 (Abstract): A cellular memory mechanism aids overload hypertrophy in muscle long after an episodic exposure to anabolic steroids

It is a very interesting study.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starky was calling out Lionel for his recreational drug use, not steroids. I'm aware of the studies showing the benefits of anabolic steroids.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies, I just noticed it was in regard to coke use. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> And for all you know that could be Gary Hall you're responding to.

That was an all-time great thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aztri81 wrote:
Cyronman wrote:
Which ones?

Article Summary: Steroids can benefit athletes for a decade after use
Journal of Physiology: Volume 591 (Abstract): A cellular memory mechanism aids overload hypertrophy in muscle long after an episodic exposure to anabolic steroids

It is a very interesting study.

That study is on steroid use. Different family of drugs, different mechanisms, different receptors. Come back with a study on opioids, this one has no relevance to allegations made on Sanders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Sanders performance at IMFL…..I'm not sure Starky could have separated him far enough in front of Sanders. 4:12 bike split in the wind and he is on pace to run a sub 2:40 marathon. Would have been an awesome battle to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If pain suppression were the limiter to athletic performance, then people would be racing on pain killers.

The fact is that there is suffering when racing to the limit. But, suppressing the suffering is not the answer to going faster. The body breaks down. The form breaks down. It's muscular fatigue, not pain that is the limiter. Look at the form of Rinny vs the form of one of the uberbikers she passes late in the race. Pain is not what is limiting the uberbiker from holding off the pass.

Yes, racing hard hurts. But suppressing the hurt does not mean elites go faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure about that?
Comments from Michael Barry:

Quote:
“I used tramadol at Sky,” Barry said of an opioid-based painkiller in use during his tenure (2010 to 2012) at the British cycling team. He went on to say that the drug alleviated the pain in his legs and allowed him to race hard. http://cyclingmagazine.ca/...lotons-pill-culture/

Taylor Phinney has spoken out against the pill culture in pro cycling. He and a doctor from Lotto Belisol think some of the late race crashes are linked to guys getting loopy from their pills.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Nov 1, 14 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Form breaks down BECAUSE of discomfort and pain.

If those people received a sudden injection of adrenaline or dopamine they would suddenly run like gazelles again.

Also taking pain killers has been a part of endurance sport for probably a century now.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ty wrote:
Doesn't every one basically make excuses when they under perform or don't perform up to their own or others expectations? We all do it.

I agree about 90% with this statement. Nothing is worse than hanging out after a race and asking people how their race went. I had a guy tell me one time that the reason his swim didn't go well is because the moon was full and it was closer to the earth than normal and it threw off his energy output because of it... WTF??? As soon as the "How was your race" question is asked, a myriad of excuses pour out and at that point I'm thinking...

So because I hate hearing all that hoopla if someone asks how I did I'm just brutally honest with them about me. People get shocked from time to time because they're expecting a plethora of excuses, not just a one or two liner..haha.
Last edited by: Speed Concept: Nov 1, 14 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha agreed. I call it battered athlete syndrome.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lot more nothing than winning going on
Quote Reply

Prev Next