Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Used correctly, cocaine could let you train harder and more when you want to and weed could help you recover better and longer when you need to.

Cocaine is detected up to three months. I'd be surprised anti-doping agencies aren't checking for this, even more with someone who has an history of use.

Starykowicz might have a point in "pain tolerance" but it could go both ways... there's a reason our brain register pain, and while you could go through it for a while, extended exposure could just injure the person beyond any chance of recovery. There was an article about a young girl who felt no pain in legs due to MS. IIRC, she was always in danger of collapsing along the course because she had no feedback from her body.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do check for it. See Tom Boonen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Cocaine is detected up to three months.

Depends on which test protocol is used.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little snort of the good stuff always helps me out on those long training days.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Karl wrote:
... brings him to the top ....

You do realize he has gone faster at the 140.6 distance than any other American, right?

Impressive considering all of the battles Mark and Dave and Tinley and all of those guys had at IMFL.

I assume you left out the pink font.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
lordhong wrote:

Sure, but you'd think that anti-doping agencies would do it the right way, no? Then again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
vmac wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Karl wrote:

You do realize he has gone faster at the 140.6 distance than any other American, right?

Until 2014 Florida...

I am a huge fan of Starky but if Sanders has an on-day in Florida he is going to have to say goodbye to that record...until he makes his way to Europe next summer.

Lionel Sanders is a Canadian.

Unimportant detail.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Staz wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Karl wrote:

Impressive considering all of the battles Mark and Dave and Tinley and all of those guys had at IMFL.

I assume you left out the pink font.

I did leave it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
dalestephanos wrote:
On Starky's worst day he's thousands of times more talented than you and you know it. Obviously this bothers you.

No on his worst day he is probably only 1.5 times more talented than most of us.

=)

Based on power or speed?

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
If it's true that he was doing drugs while he was competing in running how is it different from "cycling" doping? All recreational drugs are on the banned list so if you want to be technical about it... yeah, he doped.

travis_lt wrote:
Yeah it really takes balls to lump in a recovered drug addict with those former cycling dopers.

1) He wasn't competing at the time. He was burnt out with running and needed and alternate outlet.

2) The drugs he used provided no performance advantage and overall were a disadvantage with known long term negative side effects.... not long term benefits.

3) He was not training while using them and again, did not use them to gain any type of advantage.

This is the perfect example of a person that should be given a 2nd change and respected for overcoming a his addictions.

So no, a drug addict and a doper are not the same thing.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
TriBrad02 wrote:
lordhong wrote:

Sure, but you'd think that anti-doping agencies would do it the right way, no? Then again...

$$$$

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
vmac wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Karl wrote:

Until 2014 Florida...

I am a huge fan of Starky but if Sanders has an on-day in Florida he is going to have to say goodbye to that record...until he makes his way to Europe next summer.

Canada? I thought Kentucky.
Last edited by: J_R: Oct 22, 14 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Staz wrote:
vmac wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Karl wrote:

Until 2014 Florida...

Canada? I thought Kentucky.

Wrong Sanders.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
If it's true that he was doing drugs while he was competing in running how is it different from "cycling" doping? All recreational drugs are on the banned list so if you want to be technical about it... yeah, he doped.

I have to wonder about some of this.

Ross Rebagliati was caught with traces of marijuana in his blood after after winning the Gold Medal in the dual slalom snowboarding event. Think about it for a second - would a drug, that slows your reaction time as well as rendering other negative effects on the body and the CNS, be looked upon as an ADVANTAGE, in an event where you are hurtling down an icy slope at 50+ miles/hour, having to make split second decisions and pushing muscles to there limits?

Just saying. Just asking.

Cocaine is anything but performance enhancing but it is illegal and it can kill you.

Quote:
"The few studies that exist suggest that little to no performance gains are incurred from cocaine and its amphetamine-like properties. Cocaine is notable for distorting the user's perception of reality; for example, an athlete may perceive increased performance and decreased fatigue in the face of actual decreased performance in both strength and endurance activities. An increase in heat production combined with a decrease in heat loss associated with cocaine abuse impairs the body's ability to regulate its temperature during physical activity."

http://espn.go.com/...sandsports/coca.html

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time I read his name my mind converts it to Colonel. And then I want fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, coleslaw and a biscuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Used correctly, cocaine could let you train harder and more when you want to and weed could help you recover better and longer when you need to.

False. Used correctly cocaine would give you absolutely no interest in triathlon whatsoever.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
texafornia wrote:

False. Used correctly cocaine would give you absolutely no interest in triathlon whatsoever.

Or, cocaine could make you REEEEEAAAAALLY into triathlon for about 30 minutes. Put it in your gel flask for the last part of the run, move up one million places.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Every time I read his name my mind converts it to Colonel. And then I want fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, coleslaw and a biscuit.

Where is AlwaysCurious with a mash up of Lionnel and Col. Sanders when you need him?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:

Has to be the "classic fried chicken" though. The one and true KFC chicken. I had one two weeks ago....

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CgyTriGuy wrote:
Challenge New Albany: Tubular ripped off the rim
WildFlower: Seat post dropped
Yeah, no big deal. I bet he ripped his tubie off his rim when no one was looking so he could blame it. And I think he jumped as hard as he could on his saddle on a bump. Really, think before you post.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going back to excuses.

I don't understand this thread.
The first thing I ask when I have a crappy race is a Why? What happened?
I expect professional athletes to have a theory as to what went wrong.
(Granted some of Starky's theories seem a bit lame. But what do I know).

Imagine:
Interviewer: Starky why did you suck today?
Starky: Define "suck," sure I came in last, covered in diaherrea, vomit and blood, a bit after the winner of the F70-75 division. But jee whiz ironman is hard and at least I finished. So I am an Ironman. And a winner in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where in the podcast does he talk about Lionel.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy ran sub-eight hours at IMFL and you think he needs an excuse?

CgyTriGuy wrote:
This guy always seems to have an excuse or complaint for so many of his races...I've started a list below, please add to the ones I have missed:

Kona 2013: Tainted Perform drink.
Kona 2014 DNF: Was on crutches at 70.3 Worlds. Whines about people not taking lie detector test after his DNF.
Challenge New Albany: Tubular ripped off the rim
WildFlower: Seat post dropped
Oceanside 70.3: Sick leading into race
IMFL 2013: leg cramps at 10km

Can somebody please have a WAMBULANCE ready at IMFL for this guy? He's already whining that Lionel Sanders has an unfair advantage from his drug use in the past.
Quote Reply

Prev Next