Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
Yeah it really takes balls to lump in a recovered drug addict with those former cycling dopers.

I thought he was joking about Lionel. He can't honestly think that recreational drug abuse for years would make someone impervious to pain. They aren't PEDs, if anything the damage to his body would have lasting effects
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Every time I read his name my mind converts it to Colonel. And then I want fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, coleslaw and a biscuit.

You left out corn on the cobb......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starky is talented. Period the end. If he wants to make excuses then go for it but it's his reputation. People shouldn't be bashing him for rolling his tire off the rim etc.. Thats a legit excuse and most of the ones you listed are
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [triguy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His best line in the podcast was when he said Bob Babbit isn't a boring interviewer, it's just that most pros are boring people. And he's right.

Bob is a master at letting people reveal their personalities. He's an encyclopedia of triathlon, and will throw out all sorts of set ups for people to tell stories. Most athletes take the safe route ("yes, it felt good to win, and now I want to thank my sponsors").

A few folks take the opportunity to tell grand stories, or at least let their personalities come through without fawning over their fuel belt.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Staz wrote:
vmac wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Karl wrote:
... brings him to the top ....

You do realize he has gone faster at the 140.6 distance than any other American, right?

Until 2014 Florida...

I am a huge fan of Starky but if Sanders has an on-day in Florida he is going to have to say goodbye to that record...until he makes his way to Europe next summer.

Lionel Sanders is a Canadian.

Unimportant detail.

Seriously....MINOR DETAIL!!! He's from north amerciA! That makes him 'Merican!!! Next 'merican to win Kona, that is!! Bitches!
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, he ran 21 minutes slower than the winner did.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
A little snort of the good stuff always helps me out on those long training days.

I know what will be in my next special needs bag!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
dongustav wrote:
What's most amazing to me is that he rides an Orbea.

There is a long history of the strongest cyclists being on the not most aero frames, because the less established brands will pay more for them.

Stadler, and Torbjorn, for example.

Similarly, in golf, Greg Norman played inferior equipment (like WAY more inferior than Ordu vs Speed Concept) simply because said brand paid him more and it probably cost him at least two majors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Yes and I would put that claim into the same category as Starky's claims about crank length and average yaw angles.

Troll Science

BLeP wrote:

Did you listen to the TRS podcast? Actual Starky claims that Sanders body is so messed up that he doesn't feel pain the same way a "normal" person would. Thus his "advantage".

Is that trademarked?
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
His best line in the podcast was when he said Bob Babbit isn't a boring interviewer, it's just that most pros are boring people. And he's right.

Bob is a master at letting people reveal their personalities. He's an encyclopedia of triathlon, and will throw out all sorts of set ups for people to tell stories. Most athletes take the safe route ("yes, it felt good to win, and now I want to thank my sponsors").

A few folks take the opportunity to tell grand stories, or at least let their personalities come through without fawning over their fuel belt.

Bob Babbit is an absolute legend in Triathlon and the work he has done for CAF and the sport in general applauded.

He is, however, a mediocre interviewer. I think he has always struggled to make each interview unique with respect to the athlete. He typically follows an front to back timeline approach that, if the athlete is not a natural story teller, sounds like an in depth wikipedia page reading. Another sharp criticism is that if you take his repeat interviews with athletes they are nearly identical in content. His interviews with Chrissie Wellington over the years are prime examples of generic and repeated stories.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [fruity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruity wrote:
where in the podcast does he talk about Lionel.

+1. I haven't listened to the podcast so it'd be useful if someone could post a quote or comment on the context.

It's one thing to cry like a little girl every time you have a bad race, it's another to go defaming your fellow competitors with allegations of zero scientific credibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starykowicz is entitled to make excuses. But his ad hominem attack on Lionel Sanders is inexcusable.

What a classless jerk.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
fruity wrote:
where in the podcast does he talk about Lionel.

+1. I haven't listened to the podcast so it'd be useful if someone could post a quote or comment on the context.

It's one thing to cry like a little girl every time you have a bad race, it's another to go defaming your fellow competitors with allegations of zero scientific credibility.

Listened to it this morning

He does say Lionel burned a few "neurons" and doesn't feel pain like the rest of us
He doesn't come ou and say it, but says "I am WADA tested and I can't take that stuff"
He says Lionel was doing it while competing track.

Low blow. I hope Lionel crushes him at IMFL, but then again there will be excuses

The role of LA in getting him out of Saudi jail was interesting
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 23, 14 5:09
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:
travis_lt wrote:
Yeah it really takes balls to lump in a recovered drug addict with those former cycling dopers.

I thought he was joking about Lionel. He can't honestly think that recreational drug abuse for years would make someone impervious to pain. They aren't PEDs, if anything the damage to his body would have lasting effects

I'm gonna give Starky the benefit of doubt and say he was partly joking about it. He has made comments on Sanders in the past on his blog, mostly joking that Sanders was running effortlessly while he wasn't. However, even if it was in jest, it was fairly classless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack...since you seem to know everything, did I hear the podcast right that Starky is boycotting Florida?

#1) I read both yours and Rappstar's analysis of Starky's yaw angles and from the point of reference Starky stated and showed in a diagram HE IS RIGHT and you are an idiot. Yes it is not the traditional point of reference but is anything about him traditional...Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Macca, Crowie....4:20, 2:40....Starky said FUCK THEM 4:00 3:00

#2) Crank length, his statements were just validated by his and Kienle's consistent crushing bike splits with big cranks. Slowman's theory is DEAD!

On the Lionel Sanders part, I am surprised that it took so long for somebody to say something because a lot of the pro's have been whispering about it at races...Starky just said that he did so much drugs that it damaged his neurons. There has been hundreds of medical studies proving that recreational drugs permanently kills the brain. This is the most logical explanation I have heard for Sanders "sudden" rise in the sport. IF you look at ANYBODY in the sport that is consider an "uber" or the "best" they all have a long history of getting to that point. Starky and Keinle were biking sub-55 40k's 10 years ago. Now in 4 years somebody has gone from never doing a triathlon to one of the fastest in the world? He has done this while improving his run to a point where he is now running 1/2 marathons as fast off the bike as he did in college. I CALL BULLSHIT and nearly every pro I talked to this summer is with me...

His LA analysis was beautiful! "I would do the same to him as I did Gorrera" then goes on to put him next to Mother Theresa in helping mankind.

Was there seriously an official taking selfies with Ohno?

How is a recovered DOPER coming back from a 2 year suspension any different than a recovered drug addict? I see Starky's thinking. This is like your wife telling you she's not going to cheat on you again...

Finally, the post that started this blog....MY LEGS WOULD BE CRAMPING TOO IF I WAS RUNNING 6:45 miles AFTER A 4:02!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to see Starky will have plenty to choose from for the best of ST 2014!

Ok, I now have to actually do some work.

jackmott wrote:
Yes and I would put that claim into the same category as Starky's claims about crank length and average yaw angles.

Troll Science
Last edited by: AntiMdot: Oct 23, 14 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [AntiMdot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be the greatest density of idiotic thought I have observed in my life time.
Well Done.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excuses are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AntiMdot wrote:
On the Lionel Sanders part, I am surprised that it took so long for somebody to say something because a lot of the pro's have been whispering about it at races...Starky just said that he did so much drugs that it damaged his neurons. There has been hundreds of medical studies proving that recreational drugs permanently kills the brain.

Recreational drugs is quite broad. The effects of snorting cocaine, short term and long term, are much different than say, smoking marijuana or sniffing paint thinner.

Lots of people have claimed that hundreds of studies have been made, but no one has yet provided a link to any of these studies. I'm not saying it's not true, but I would like to see one of these studies specifically about cocaine and long term pain desensitization. Searching Google, med sites online, etc., all long term effects of doing cocaine are not exactly endurance sports friendly. But nothing comes up searching "cocaine long term pain effect".

That being said, looking at long term (studied) effects of doing cocaine seen in addicts, I sincerely doubt that Sanders did cocaine on a daily basis. Has he ever mentioned so? I think the story as being told to media is that he partied hard, did some cocaine (unknown amount), got suicidal and then turned his life around (thanks to his mother). The long term damage of high cocaine usage to heart and respiratory tract would kill any hope of doing triathlons, let alone on a professional level.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AntiMdot wrote:
Jack...since you seem to know everything, did I hear the podcast right that Starky is boycotting Florida?

#1) I read both yours and Rappstar's analysis of Starky's yaw angles and from the point of reference Starky stated and showed in a diagram HE IS RIGHT and you are an idiot. Yes it is not the traditional point of reference but is anything about him traditional...Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Macca, Crowie....4:20, 2:40....Starky said FUCK THEM 4:00 3:00

#2) Crank length, his statements were just validated by his and Kienle's consistent crushing bike splits with big cranks. Slowman's theory is DEAD!

On the Lionel Sanders part, I am surprised that it took so long for somebody to say something because a lot of the pro's have been whispering about it at races...Starky just said that he did so much drugs that it damaged his neurons. There has been hundreds of medical studies proving that recreational drugs permanently kills the brain. This is the most logical explanation I have heard for Sanders "sudden" rise in the sport. IF you look at ANYBODY in the sport that is consider an "uber" or the "best" they all have a long history of getting to that point. Starky and Keinle were biking sub-55 40k's 10 years ago. Now in 4 years somebody has gone from never doing a triathlon to one of the fastest in the world? He has done this while improving his run to a point where he is now running 1/2 marathons as fast off the bike as he did in college. I CALL BULLSHIT and nearly every pro I talked to this summer is with me...

His LA analysis was beautiful! "I would do the same to him as I did Gorrera" then goes on to put him next to Mother Theresa in helping mankind.

How is a recovered DOPER coming back from a 2 year suspension any different than a recovered drug addict? I see Starky's thinking. This is like your wife telling you she's not going to cheat on you again...

Finally, the post that started this blog....MY LEGS WOULD BE CRAMPING TOO IF I WAS RUNNING 6:45 miles AFTER A 4:02!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to see Starky will have plenty to choose from for the best of ST 2014!

jackmott wrote:

Troll Science

Of all the posts on ST through the years with posters demonstrating a complete lack of knowledge, this one might be the best for it's blanket coverage of so many topics.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
AntiMdot wrote:

jackmott wrote:

Troll Science

Of all the posts on ST through the years with posters demonstrating a complete lack of knowledge, this one might be the best for it's blanket coverage of so many topics.

You're crazy. This guy is spot on.

Now, I am going to go snort cocaine because I need to get faster.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AntiMdot wrote:
#1) I read both yours and Rappstar's analysis of Starky's yaw angles and from the point of reference Starky stated and showed in a diagram HE IS RIGHT and you are an idiot.

the scenario he described was accurate, he posited a situation with a certain wind and a certain rider speed and showed that the yaw angle was extremely high, his math was correct. However he was using that example to suggest that people typically encounter these very high yaw angles (On the order of 30 degrees) but that is false because the scenario he was using as an example will never happen. Yes, a strong quartering tailwind will make for a big yaw angle if you are riding slow. But you don't ride slow with a strong tail wind.

Quote:

My opinion on crank length is that it doesn't matter (usually) so it is no surprise to me that starky wins on big cranks and kienle wins on normal sized cranks. Starky is mistaken though in beleiving that shorter cranks will make it harder to pedal, as has been established by careful experiment:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11417428

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a website or blog or something? Your ideas are intriguing and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Do you have a website or blog or something? Your ideas are intriguing and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

lol

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Post deleted by BLeP [ In reply to ]

Prev Next