Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
looks like you won over all and by mileage. im curious as to your training and run times.. have a strava profile to share?
There is a dormant Strava account; am past that age where I closely record and monitor my activities. Google maps and iPod stopwatch is my old-school version of "tracking" :)
High number of runs is primarily due to runs to/from work, with long runs or races on the weekends and a few silly weekends, where I did 5-7 runs per day. Not fun actually, total waste of my spare time.

BTW: you put in a great, great mileage, really kept me on my feet!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
synthetic wrote:
save it for next year i suppose.. i am guessing you have a script counting all the runs that are 30+. perhaps next time, it can take total time in a day, if separate runs are less than 30 minutes, but total time is 30 for every session.. it can count. So 45min in AM, 15min in PM, the script sees total 60 in one day an 2 runs.. having no remainder in the division it approves it as 2 runs for the day. Then again the threshold values can be rethought. 3 miles in 30 min is not the same as done in 15. like i said, this for next year. or perhaps a summer quick session?

I hope no one counts the run like you stated since a 45 in the morning and 15 in the PM is a SINGLE run for the day of 60 minutes, NOT 2 runs for the day.
If you ran 45 one day and 15 the NEXT day, then you get credit for ONE run each day of 30 minutes not two in either day

Is this correct? I interpreted the rule to mean you run 15 minutes first, then on the 2nd next day you have to run 45 minutes -- to then log 30 min/ 30 min. Can you run 45 one day and 15 the next, and no run the third day, and still count that as two 30 min runs?

If so, I can log one extra run!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
synthetic wrote:
save it for next year i suppose.. i am guessing you have a script counting all the runs that are 30+. perhaps next time, it can take total time in a day, if separate runs are less than 30 minutes, but total time is 30 for every session.. it can count. So 45min in AM, 15min in PM, the script sees total 60 in one day an 2 runs.. having no remainder in the division it approves it as 2 runs for the day. Then again the threshold values can be rethought. 3 miles in 30 min is not the same as done in 15. like i said, this for next year. or perhaps a summer quick session?

I hope no one counts the run like you stated since a 45 in the morning and 15 in the PM is a SINGLE run for the day of 60 minutes, NOT 2 runs for the day.
If you ran 45 one day and 15 the NEXT day, then you get credit for ONE run each day of 30 minutes not two in either day

Is this correct? I interpreted the rule to mean you run 15 minutes first, then on the 2nd next day you have to run 45 minutes -- to then log 30 min/ 30 min. Can you run 45 one day and 15 the next, and no run the third day, and still count that as two 30 min runs?

If so, I can log one extra run!

I think I wrote the end wrong. If you do a 15 in the morning and a 45 in the afternoon, you only get credit for one 60 minute run that day, not 2 runs in one day of 30 minutes each.

IMO, whether it is 15/45 or 45/15 in two days, IMO, one would count a 30 minute run for each day. No run the third day is no run?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to get a jump on next year's 'airing of grievances' and vote to get rid of this stupid rule. Obviously it is confusing and no doubt has resulted in some folks incorrectly logging their runs. That is all.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
I'm going to get a jump on next year's 'airing of grievances' and vote to get rid of this stupid rule. Obviously it is confusing and no doubt has resulted in some folks incorrectly logging their runs. That is all.

I tend to agree. Heck I was not running at all on Dec 15th and gradually built up without using the wussification rule. It kind of went against my original ethic, but it seems like a lot of people like it.

In any case....today was the start of my 100th run but I chose to leave it "incomplete". I did a 40 min trainer ride + 28 minutes treadmill run. Just to make a point to myself, I will hit the treadmill tonite for 12-15 minutes easy before doing weights. I'll be logging a 40-45 minute run later tonite once I get it all done.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:

I agree. I did it once, and after that thought it was was stupid so only did 30 minute runs minimum

And I agree from what I have read, some seem to have entered there number of runs wrong, which is one reason I just went back to my normal
training.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For next year we should drop that 15 min thing. It's always been a 30 minute minimum in my mind and I've lived by that. That said, I'm also a moron.... I was, at one point, 6 runs "up" (ahead) on the streak. And there were some times when I had to drop a day due to travel or some such nonsense but then I'd double up another day and still be too the good by some number. Somehow I got lost in the tracking I was doing in my mind. I thought I was three runs up but I check on Tuesday and see that I'm several behind. I'm not 100% sure how I did that - failed to record a couple here on ST or got a little hyperbole going in my mind. Either way, I double today, I'll double tomorrow, Friday I can run #99 at home before I fly to San Francisco and do something odd/special for #100.

Lovin' it.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanP, check your training log. The default setting for the workout log is road cycling. When my numbers were different than I expected, I found that I had incorrectly entered several runs as "road cycling."

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Mar 22, 17 20:39
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 you beautiful genius!!! Of course!!! I found a bunch, I'm there, stoked!!! Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like we have 27 people over the 100/100 finish line with one day to go. I see 42 people at 97 or greater, so I expect that they will be over the 100 "line" by end of day tomorrow.

I am quite excited to have joined the "club again". Would have never dreamed that was in the realm of possibility on Dec 15th having spent most of 2016 either on crutches or with a ton of difficulty walking. While I still have work to do in terms of running on pavement, if I run on my treadmill or the track, it's generally pretty good and I am getting closer to full balance and full push off force in my bad leg. I hope to be good to go on pavement ideally by mid summer.

In 2017 so far I logged 72 hours of running and 73 hours of swimming, so I am sticking to my "plan" of swimming more hours than running. The problem is the more I can run, the more I have to swim to keep up with my self imposed "plan"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job all...Woo Hoo!

============================================================
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFINISHxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
============================================================
Last edited by: Power Giant: Mar 23, 17 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
thugbuster wrote:

I tend to agree. Heck I was not running at all on Dec 15th and gradually built up without using the wussification rule. It kind of went against my original ethic, but it seems like a lot of people like it.

In any case....today was the start of my 100th run but I chose to leave it "incomplete". I did a 40 min trainer ride + 28 minutes treadmill run. Just to make a point to myself, I will hit the treadmill tonite for 12-15 minutes easy before doing weights. I'll be logging a 40-45 minute run later tonite once I get it all done.

yes out with wussification rule +1.

in with minimum threshold based on effort. everyone has done a 5k... make their best recent 5k time the minimum. this allows wussification in a sense... if you run a 17min 5k, but do a 2.5k run in same time - slow as hell, but counts. yes you can do it when quite sickly (one of my run days was when i had serious stomach issues)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finished the 100th run today with a 21km long run. Took me 1:41h and after the first 90min I ran 18.9km (including around 2km warmup). Do you think a sub 1:30 half marathon in two weeks is doable?

Anyways, this was a fun challenge! I hope everyone came out injury free and faster. Will do this again next year for sure (or this December).
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
IanP, check your training log. The default setting for the workout log is road cycling. When my numbers were different than I expected, I found that I had incorrectly entered several runs as "road cycling."

For a long time the default activity was hard coded. You can now choose it in your user profile and set it to whatever you wish.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad we had the "wuss" rule. It allowed me to do more bikes than I would have otherwise. There were probably 3 or 4 days that I took advantage of it to run off the bike, and call it quits at 15 instead of 30.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

For a long time the default activity was hard coded. You can now choose it in your user profile and set it to whatever you wish.

-Eric

Thanks for all the painful work updating the log in the middle of the challenge and porting all the historic data over and putting up with all of us "high paying customers"....nothing like satisfied customers who give you so much revenue :-).

OK, I crossed the finish line today with my 102nd run and surpassed 750K for the challenge. Honestly I had not expected to run at all during this thing, but as explained above, some of my nerve/disc issues made progress and the more I ran the better I seem to be getting with lower spine mobiliity. As a bonus I was hovering in the 146-149 lbs range at the start. Today I weighed in at 138.5 lbs and that's within 1.5 lbs of my ultimate Kona Qual race weight from the past. I changed jobs in January and have only had to travel twice since then and nothing overseas, so I think just eating well, sleeping in my time zone took care of most of it, while adding in all that running.

Looks like we will be having 40 people over the 100/100 finish line by end of day in on Howard and Baker Island on the equator which are at UTC-12 and are the last time zones on earth. You guys posted to Guam got the first crack at March 24th and are already on March 25th!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 24, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks for all the painful work updating the log in the middle of the challenge and porting all the historic data over and putting up with all of us "high paying customers"....nothing like satisfied customers who give you so much revenue :-).

OK, I crossed the finish line today with my 102nd run and surpassed 750K for the challenge. Honestly I had not expected to run at all during this thing, but as explained above, some of my nerve/disc issues made progress and the more I ran the better I seem to be getting with lower spine mobiliity. As a bonus I was hovering in the 146-149 lbs range at the start. Today I weighed in at 138.5 lbs and that's within 1.5 lbs of my ultimate Kona Qual race weight from the past. I changed jobs in January and have only had to travel twice since then and nothing overseas, so I think just eating well, sleeping in my time zone took care of most of it, while adding in all that running.

Looks like we will be having 40 people over the 100/100 finish line by end of day in on Howard and Baker Island on the equator which are at UTC-12 and are the last time zones on earth. You guys posted to Guam got the first crack at March 24th and are already on March 25th!!!

Happy to do it. It's been a really fun project. And it's only going to get better and better from here.

Thank you all for using it, congratulations on 100/100 participants -- looks like we have around 40 who can squeak in to gold medal status on this one!!! Nice work!!!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job Dev! I watched you creep up the board and pass me the last couple of weeks

Add another to the 100/100 finisher list. It was a fun 100 days and I certainly learned how to keep the easy days easy. During the 100, I ran my fastest HM 1:33 and after chasing it for 2 years and getting close a few times, I broke the 20min mark in a 5K running a 19:38 on a course I ran 20:17 on last year. All in all it was a great challenge and I came out of it stronger and healthy. Bring on Ironman Texas 70.3 next weekend and hopefully a new HIM run PR!

ETA - +1 on getting rid of the wussification rule!
Last edited by: se7930: Mar 24, 17 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this challenge helped me get through some tough times. i got flu and stomach virus, lost 10lb so my performance declined big time. not able to keep my paces up, at least i was to keep in the mileage for this challenge. to finish off, the day after challenge was done (today), i got to cruise in with my wife to a sub 90 min half where she won 1st over all. icing on the cake :)

in pic she is right behind me having a bike lead
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 25, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I raced my first triathlon of the season today and had what was perhaps my second be run ever in the sport. It was the local Bonelli Park oddball distance (1k swim, 30k bike, 8k run). My entire tri "career" has been decent swim, strong bike and run scared - try and hold them off and frequently blow up due to pushing the bike too hard. There's lots of us out here (and perhaps even more of us on ST Forum).

Today I just knew was gonna be different because I was coming off the 100/100. I passed 7 guys on the run, didn't get passed once and just took on a whole new perspective of being the hunter rather than the hunted. Finished 2nd AG, 13th OA.

I'm inspired by how you, Dev, used this years Challenge as part of your recovery. I'm also grateful for the community of runners who took on the 100/100 Challenge. Thank you all.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto this! And congrats, Ian!! Wow. Outstanding.

My runs during a Tri often turn into walks.... This was my first time doing the 100/100 challenge all the way to the end (came in at 90 runs). I had an OLY last weekend and was completely under-trained for the swim or bike (thanks to this challenge) and I got a 10k PR on this course and was within 40 seconds of my stand-alone 10k PR.

Then, I went and did a 13.1 trail race yesterday and blew my PR on that course out of the water by 16 minutes. I guess that is what happens when you keep running instead of taking walk breaks.... I didn't know my legs could do that.

Thank you to everybody for participating (especially the womens) and keeping it real.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I am not the only one who dislikes the new layout tally.... I see the number of participants in the Big Kahuna is way down. I totally enjoyed my three years there where I could see and admire the workouts of the other boys and girls, and in the 100/100 too. I keep hoping when I come back here from time to time that I will see they fired the doo doo bird who demolished the old style format which was fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey running fellas, today I totally destroyed my half marathon PR by 9 minutes. Took me 1:27:39h to complete this whole thing and I still can't believe I was that good (compared to my previous results, not compared to ST standards). This challenge helped me so much. In the past I had to be careful to go longer distances in training or I would have been in trouble with my knees. Now, even though I am still cautious, I am running higher mileage with no problems at all (knocking on wood).
I am really looking forward to this year's challenge and I'll try to keep the high running frequency.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Deserwest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deserwest wrote:
I guess I am not the only one who dislikes the new layout tally.... I see the number of participants in the Big Kahuna is way down. I totally enjoyed my three years there where I could see and admire the workouts of the other boys and girls, and in the 100/100 too. I keep hoping when I come back here from time to time that I will see they fired the doo doo bird who demolished the old style format which was fantastic.

Hey Deserwest,

If there is a "doo doo bird", I guess it's me. Between me, who volunteered to rework the training log, Jordan and Dan, who agreed it needed a facelift, and then all the input from the very involved community members, we have made some changes.

It's an ongoing process, certainly nowhere near complete, and so hopefully you can sum up your ideas in a slightly more constructive form -- is there something about the old challenge leaderboard we missed? Is there something you've always wanted to see on it? Anything is up for dicussion, consideration, and implementation.

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wonder how I missed the "input" session??? I was on site nearly every day from 2014-2016 and heard of no solicitation for input. O.K. I am not an elite athlete, but as I recall in 2015 nobody and more miles, hours, or distance on the 100/100. So, just wondering who you took input from actually. Improving the site is one thing, but you also took away an interactive spreadsheet and replaced it with a dead one. So,for example, lets say there is an athlete I admire and want to know specifically what training mix they were doing? So, before I could click on a name, and if they entered their workouts,(which many did of their own free will), I could read and study the progression. Case in point, a little more than a year ago, we had an about age 50 runner (I wont say his screename), who pulled of an age group win at no less than the L.A. Marathon. All I can see now is his total points. Big deal. Tells me nothing. Another example, suppose a person wants input from the user group. Well, without being able to see their training mix, how can we help them. What I am telling you is that when one goes to the 100/100 or Big Kahuna, or whatever, all you see is a dead spread sheet. Its boring and its useless. I posted about this months ago, nobody responded. I call you a doo doo bird and you respond. So,are you really responding, or were you just looking for an apology? Sure, I can give you that, you got it. I should not name call. I will just state my view. Your new program has been in place for months, and it stinks. But you are not a doo doo bird.
Quote Reply

Prev Next