Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: January 13 [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are on to something, treadmill runs should only count for 50% of the actual time and distance ;-)
Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NO!!!!!!!!!! they should be double if anything ;-)

shoot I'm supposed to be doing calculus

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the sun I will not hit the treadmill. The sun will make it "warm enough" to survive.
I will definitively shorten the scheduled run.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on Dev, I already feel guilty - now you throw a "Zahab record" at me.

Ray and I both own a piece of land on the same street in Chelsea, so we'll be neighbors some day when we both decide to build our homes. Hopefully I can hear some of these amazing stories first hand.

True Fred - that is normally the only silver lining when it is this cold; it's almost always a sunny day and little wind after the cold settles in.

I'm at the track tomorrow night for the first time in 6 months, so sadly I'll miss another cold run (unless I do a double).

if we did the 50% rule for treadmill runs that would certainly help me out in the challenge :-)

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would hurt me no doubt but it wouldn't change how I train. I consider the treadmill essential to my training. It's not so much cold and wind that I'm trying to avoid as running on icy and/or dark streets in the winter. I've fallen a number of times and almost been hit by cars a number of times, even with flashing lights, headlamp, reflective vest, etc. Plus, when I'm trying to do a tempo run, even during daylight, I need a clean flat surface to run on.

Finally, I have found a treadmill extremely useful for training for the Boston Marathon. I live in the Boston area. We train all winter in the bitter cold and then, regular as clockwork, it heats up right around marathon time. So you end up running a marathon without any heat acclimation. This is a recipe for disaster that has killed me in several Boston Marathons. No matter how many layers of clothes I wear outside., I never break a sweat like I do on the treadmill.

I feel for the people who cannot stand treadmills, I really do. For some strange reason, I really like running on them.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 14, 09 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO...make sure you do the weekly "Boston marathon special" treadmill workout....10K run at 10K race pace at minus 2 to minus 4 degree decline....make sure that your treadmill cover is open and there is a fan on the motor....this will allow you to cruise all the way to Wellsley at high speed and be smooth and not trash the quads before the Newton hills. Not exactly sure why a poser like me is telling a 4:39 miler what to do, but for the rest of you guys, this is a great one and you'll thank yourself (especially the first "all downhill" 5K).

Agreed about Boston often being "first hot run of the year"...add neoprene gloves and toque to your treadmill workout...no fan!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fahrenheit? I didn't think people could survive that?? I'll put you down on the list of finalists.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the sound of that workout. I gotta try that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm at the track tomorrow night for the first time in 6 months, so sadly I'll miss another cold run (unless I do a double). "

Sub 5 minute mile or resign yourself to poserville on account of running slow indoors...if you are going to run slow, the only way it will be approved by Ray is to go straight into minus 30C wind!!! :-) I will be running 'track' on my 1200m long suburban loop (each 200m marked off by landmarks)...wind and all....split times will likely be pathetic and with the cold, I doubt I will want to rip my lungs out by going too hard!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treadmill is an acquired taste. First time I had to cover the clock as after 10' I was utterly fed up. Now 1h is no problem. For me too it's a way to fit my training with my time constraints, light and weather. Plus the additional bonus is control of speed and distance and capacity to stop any time if I have niggle (how many times have you hurt yourself on the fursthest part of a loop?). Minus it's much more borring than running on a trail, less social if you can run with friends.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope celsius, but at that temperature they are almost identical -39 celsius is -38.2 farenheit.
You can remove me from the list if you think I didn't earn the 0.8 degrees :-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just messing with the treadmill folks.
Trust me my dream workout room would definitely have a treadmill, as I can see the real value of them (being able to get true quality workouts in)
I am just bitter cause I don't have one! ;-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "I need a clean flat surface to run on."

Sounds like you are all set on your treadmill, but as a PSA for Bostonites, while they have plowed the bike path all around the Charles, it is still pretty icy, but between the BU bridge and the Museum of Science on the Boston side they have actually salted as well so it is all bone dry for ~3 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think treadmill workouts should be worth more. It is way harder to run on a treadmill than outdoors.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It is way harder to run on a treadmill than outdoors.
... not when it is -39 outside :-)

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
34 mins run by ~ -20 and still alive :)
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure it's agonizing on the mind
but it's so smooth and necessary for the body if you are trying to minimize injury and do a recovery run
I alternate between treadmill, track, and trail and try to keep the road running to no more than 3 days a week, usually only 2.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Always punch people in the face when their interests are different than yours. There can be no other way.
-one_lap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many fingers do you have to type now? :)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps there is a new sub-catagory of coldest run? Evidence of frostbite will get bonus points. Supporting evidence of temps and condition needed. This includes pictures of thermometers, hospital visits and you outside on the run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred, I found the temps actually quite OK with the bright sun and two cycling jackets on with a layer of lifa underneath...and of course duct tape over more toes.

Here is the workout report:

Total run was 70 minutes, 15K...quite a good run for what I thought would be a write off day.

On a net uphill loop, my 1 K tempo split times were 4:17, 4:12, 4:07 4:05...footing was OK with hard packed snow on one half of the loop and moist ashphalt on the other half (just a minor amount of slip when trying to run fast)...I was trying to keep the lid on the pace so I would not be breathing too hard in minus 26, so only breathing on every 5th stride, vs race pace which would be every 3rd stride or really hard intervals (every 2nd stride).
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all 9 ;-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"On a net uphill loop"

OK, I'll bite. Was this loop designed by M.C. Escher?
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry it is actually 1200m....1000m fast 200m recovery...final 200m is downhill back to the start. So I should have said 1200m loop with first 1000m net uphill.
Quote Reply

Prev Next