Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I just stepped on something... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well it happened last night...but the new iPod shuffles have a charging cradle with a headphone jack end that sticks into the shuffle to charge/sync it....well it was on the floor last night and my heel decided to drive itself right into the jack....OUCH! A little bit of blood, but its still sore as hell today. :( 4 mile recovery run scheduled for today...we'll see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know what I'll say to that....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brown's Valley Open Space Trail Run: 4.6 miles @ 10:38 (+/- 1500')

After running Cold Creek yesterday, I was reminded just how amazing trail running can be. Inspired, I decided to do my 1st 1/2 of today's double on the trails by my house in the nearby Open Space District. Two peaks site separated by a valley with technical single track circling the whole space and ridge trails connecting the two. With today's temps absolutely straight from a fall catalog, I couldn't resist. Taking pictures slowed me down, but I figure giving people currently under snow a light at the end of the tunnel would justify the ego hit by posting a slower running pace :) MB

Jump the gate (legal access) and head up a nice hard packed single track contouring to the north around to the backside of Peak #1:

From here it is a small draw and meadow:

Once out of the draw you gain the ridge leading to the peak:

At the top, there is a bench and picnic table for those inclined to rest. The view isn't too shabby as well :) That is Peak#2 in the distance.

From here you head down the ridge to the south towards Peak#2. On the way down, I jumped a coyote. I tried to get a pic but he was too fast for me. I did get a picture of the local single track trail crew relaxing in the valley before heading up to Peak#2:

Jump a fence and pick up a bitchin single track on the other side:

Up a short draw passing an isolated oak that guards the ridge:

Once on the ridge, you hit fun stretch before the 20% grade up the backside to the top:

Once at the top, it is a steep descent to a dirt road that weaves its way down to the side of the Open Space:

Once down you negotiate some pretty technical single track sections due to the cows stepping on soft ground after rains. You have to watch your step to avoid turning/breaking your ankles!

Fortunately the section is short lived and it is back to perfect single track before the .25 miles of pavement back home:

Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You know what I'll say to that....
is it 4 letters that starts with H and ends with TFU?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see you've been paying attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I'm wondering is whether you stayed plugged into the iPod dock long enough for your brain to become synched to your iTunes library.

No snowplow dodging today, because the snowplows apparently don't work on MLK day in this town. Not a trace of a cleared sidewalk except for a short stretch of Main Street (big shout out to the local business owners), and the rest of today's run was a slushy road steeplechase.

But, hey! I just unintentionally broke into the top 100 for distance today. Goal: 40 MPW minimum until the end of the challenge, health and road conditions permitting.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goal: 40 MPW minimum until the end of the challenge, health and road conditions permitting.

Hmmm ... and all this time I thought you were chasing me. Dammit I need a new rabbit. ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great pics!

Sadly, I got sick as a dog over christmas break, and was down for the count for 11 days. 1st week of the new year was 3 runs, this week is 5, next is back to my usual steady diet of 6 per week. I've been a bum on spreadsheet entry, as I'll barely make the 70/100 cutoff. DAMMIT!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Sorry, should've let you know that I gave up chasing you and started chasing Ianpeace a couple of weeks ago.

(Well, not really, but it has been weird that he and I have generally been within two runs and ten miles of each other for at least two weeks now.)

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Question????????????? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I am doing WAYYYY better at this than I initially anticipated. I am still not certain that I will get 100/100, but so far I am perfect (only 2 doubles needed).

Here is what I am noticing. I am not sore like I was in the 2007 every day in January challenge. No injuries seem to be creeping up. I am doing reasonable mileage for me (25-35 miles per week). I hope to begin increasing this gradually in the middle of February.

Here is my question. Mostly due to weather constraints, I am totally incapable of getting any kind of speed up. I run exclusively outdoors (no access to a treadmill). We have had the harshest winter I have ever lived through here in Michigan in terms of snow, ice, and low temps. The roads have literally been icy for a month now. If I am able to maintain 9:30 miles I am joyous, and even then it feels like I was running 8:00's. In the summer, I usually will go 8-8:15's in training. So, will I see benefit from all of this running? In the past, it seems that when I train at slower speeds, I actually seem to run slower in races even if my mileage has increased. Am I just training to run slow right now?

Bernie

Re: Question????????????? [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The training benefit comes from the effort, not the speed. On your normal (non-speedwork) days, do not try to run fast. Do not try to run slowly. Try to run easily and let the pace fall where it may.

Lydiard used to call for -- I believe the term was -- "best aerobic effort": The best pace you can maintain while still running easily. A side benefit of this approach is that it forces you to work on your form more than you otherwise would
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Goal: 40 MPW minimum until the end of the challenge, health and road conditions permitting.

Hmmm ... and all this time I thought you were chasing me. Dammit I need a new rabbit. ;)

I am a rabbit! Ask desert dude - I bounce like one when I run.

So, I took my snowshoes out in hopes of snowshoe running but the darn things kept falling off my feet when I tried to RUN in them. They need to be adjusted. I get 40 min of snowshoeing, but it doesn't count as a run. Still felt really good to be outside, and it was a good recovery workout. I've been such a slacker with the bike and swim as of late (though part of that has been weather, too lazy to put my bike together, and being ill)

I WILL BE THE RABBIT!!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
English Hills Loop: 11.43 miles @ 08:45 Pace (+/- 1,500)

Originally I had 2 trail runs planned for today, but after yesterday and then this morning, I decided I would give my quads a break and just do a nice rolling easy run. I set the Garmin to Distance, Time, HR, and Cadence and didn't look at pace at all. The goal was to average less than 140 bpm (Ave 136) and the only time I allowed myself to go over 140 was if I was running up a hill. Considering this run was the 2nd of my double and the PE was literally cake walk, I was very happy with the results! MB
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biked a hour and six minutes and swam 2000 meters today. Left knee hurting so ditched the run going to take off 2-5 more days from running and see how it feels and play catch up. Last week was the most miles I put in in a while. I have been nursing it on and off since car accident a week b4 x-mas. After hearing what happened to Learner think its best. Damn I love running so much! Hope I have will power to stop a few days till gets better. Damn! Damn! Damn!

Re: I just stepped on something... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[pink font]I GOT INJURED, WAAAAAAHHHH. IT'S ALL DEV's FAULT! WAAAAAAH.[/pink font]

3.5 miles around the track today after a brutal 50 miles of climbing
good weekend of training, feeling great
not actually injured *

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Always punch people in the face when their interests are different than yours. There can be no other way.
-one_lap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I WILL BE THE RABBIT!!!!

Well, if you are my rabbit, there can be no question as to who rules turtledom. I think i got you beat on frequency, but that is about it. Gives me something (insane) to shoot for though ....

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone who lives in Washington run around the Washington Monument/Capitol/Mall/Lincoln Memorial today and post pics....or is this pretty well impossible? Would be cool to have the challenge visit inauguration day :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi - 67:36, treadmill at 2% incline

got the bloodwork done this morning, and fainted. Wow that is one of the scariest feelings ever - there was this black in front of me, and I just fell into it...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev, I will run around the TV at the Y and take a pic. I'm not HTFU today, I'm a sissy.

Yesterday, i did a double. 4mi outside 30* snowing. ( No Jen, I'm not even considering submitting it for your contest )
1:10 later. 3 mi outside on the boardwalk. 27* no snow, icy, windy. The ocean looked a little chilly.

Go Obama!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different run today: VO2max test in our lab, recovered 2' and finish off running on the treadmill albeit at a much lower speed. Breathing through a mask and having blood taken at regular interval while pushing harder and harder makes running 'interesting' ;-).

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been sorta chasing you. I lost a little bit of traction the last three days. First goose egg yesterday as travel, and 12 hours of meetings didnt help. Maybe the day off will help.
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [ejohns3992] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on...someone go for a run around the Capitol and capture the hoopla to provide the official 100/100 coverage. I'm already getting the video feed off CNN on my PC...needless to say, I am doing zero work!
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - and wave to the camera, we are watching here in Norway as well.

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [islandman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop watching and go train....I thought Islandman was from the Caribbean and not Norway. Are you racing the Birkebeiner? Anyway, in my lifetime, the most exciting XC ski race I ever watched (yes and the Italians drafted all day and have no honour and who knows what medecine their docs prescribed, but these guys come from the bike racing nation where sitting on the wheel rules...). Fauner's sprint....gotta go practice my sprinting at lunch time....screw runnning!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LAJLbDXR4b8

Wow, it's like Woodstock on the Mall in Washington!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I just stepped on something... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished a short second run, so I'm good for today :)

Yes, the 4 x 10 in Lillehammer was a very exciting race, I was there to watch it and it was a fantastic experience. The whole Olympics in 94 was a big success, - especially for the norwegians :) I have never done the Birkebeiner race, maybe you should do it one day Dev? - I see that you are pretty fast on your 50k skating!

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply

Prev Next