Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am feeling a little down in the dumps. I just met ""oceanswimmer" at the y and she was just finishing run #35!?!? I was starting #10. ( waaaaaaaa I was injured for the first 2 weeks waaaaaaaa ) So I told her i was doing 2 runs with an hour in between, which would put me right at 9:55pm. Y closes at 10pm. I finished the first run and went to lift... then did some sit ups.... then shot some baskets....then I got cold and went into the sauna then I took a shower. Then I said "waaaaaaaaa I'm tired" and I went home. I'm only 25 behind her! Goodnight.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done several days of double 30 minute runs, these runs have severd me well as essentially it was commuting. Maybe it was not the best training but it was sure better than driving.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BV Loop: 4.43 Miles @ 7:28 Pace

Went for my 1st run in Newton's tonight. Was an interesting run. I have been "self" modifying my running gate to be more mid-foot for the last few months and if anything, the run tonight shows I have been pretty successful. The 1st "demo" I did with Newton shoes felt like I was running with a rock taped to each foot. Tonight? Felt smooth and natural, I didn't even really feel the lug unless I was standing at a light. MB

As for Camp 1 vs Camp 2. I think that to each their own. As with Captain, I have been running more frequently than I normally do at the cost of distance, for sure, but never the less I have been cranking out IMO better form with runs that have a purpose beyond just my usual drop off at 13-15 miles and run home kind of affairs. I am very eager to see how my the return of my long runs go. I am hoping to keep the 07:30 pace of my shorter more frequent run. We'll see.... If it does, woot! If not, well then I still have 159 days to get it right :P (CDA)
Quote Reply
Re: January 12 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
11 mi easy in 93:54 - treadmill at a 2% incline.

I was pretty close to TriYoda all of last week in distance/time (and pace ;-) but he pulled ahead of me yesterday with his long run.

Just to give you fair warning, my scheduled mileage is 65 for this week and then 70 next week. I am only doing running and weights until April.

I also would not judge the challenge on training pace. The pace for the easy miles should be as easy as possible to hit your zones, only for the workouts (maybe one per week) does pace even matter. I can only run about 7:50 miles right now and stay in zone one, but when I do tempo I am under 6:00 per mile and when I am in better shape it will be closer to 5:30 per mile. Maybe you have more range, but if not your easy runs are probably too fast and you are not training optimally.

I will need this challenge to get out this week, it is going to be cold. The 100/100 is the only thing I may be able to beat Dev and konaexpress at;)

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Jan 12, 09 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm tired of doing laundry more than once a week. It seems I only have 3 complete 'outfits' for short runs (shorts and running bra) and 2 for longer runs (shorts and a top with pockets in the back). I guess I need to buy some more running clothes.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...consistent quality will trump consistent mediocrity in all forms of life...
Also give 110% and do more with less to be a success. Keep the words of wisdom coming. It's like my old track coach used to say, the key to being a good runner, is running fast.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You can always click on name and just see your rank based on what name your parents gave you or what handle you gave yourself.

Why not ranking by Frequency * Distance * Speed? I think that would look for the well-rounded runner -- fast, often, and long. Wow, sounds more like something that most women are looking for rather than criteria for judging runners.

Anyway here is the new top 10:
Name Old Rank New Rank Points JoeO 1 1 123,571 DavidC 9 2 69,155 Allan 21 3 67,949 _EH_ 2 4 67,199 rocklinwoody 125 5 59,759 gavnunns 11 6 57,354 cheyser 115 7 56,164 wpress 15 8 51,323 konaexpress 24 9 50,828 markg11cdn 62 10 50,264

For full disclosure yes it does improve my rank from 64 to 26, but mostly I want to see a more objective combined measure than handle and frequency.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
January 13 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9.5 mi with 2 coughing fits

one in the middle and one at the end. The inhaler stopped them nicely.

Incline varied between one and one-and-a-half percent; 5 x 50 sec fast / 10 sec easy; last 15 minutes picking up the pace because it felt good to turn my legs over.

I am getting better; that's the strongest I've felt running for awhile. 78 minutes. Foam roller + shoulder baby weights after.

TRIYODA: I will stop pretending that I'm as cool as you are. I will not be running 70 miles this week. All I meant by my comments yesterday of being "near" you is that when I sorted the spreadsheet by distance or frequency your row was usually right on top of mine. I got all excited thinking that I was close to the super cool and super studly TriYoda! However as I cannot run a 2:4x marathon or a 33 min 10k I will pick on mortals my own size (or go back to the pool where I am queen).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BV Short Loop: 4.27 Miles @ 7:36 Pace

Kind of a short cruiser morning. I have very "sharp" heels and the new Newton's are not sitting well with them. I have a small pin size blister on each heel right at the contact point. The heel cup feels a lot shorter than the NB 882s I normally run in. I am going to get some longer laces so I can cross-heel cup lace them and see if that will hold my heel in place. I hope so, as I am not a big fan of shoes that cause blisters when the 882s are like butter right out of the box.

As for the run, nice weather, no wind to speak of. MB

Finished off the morning session with 20 mins of Abs and Light Weights.
Last edited by: Roughster: Jan 13, 09 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik,

There are 3 rules on ST:

You cannot be as cool as Triyoda
You cannot be as cool at Steve Larsen
You cannot be as cool as Tibbs

You might be able to get cooler than Monty, but you'll still need to work for it. Monty is slipping on the coolness factor on account of not sharing any "back in the day" stories lately....but I digress.

This morning perhaps my best run of the challenge...woke up feeling like crap after a long day at work and then a 3 hour marathon meeting for the XC ski club on which I am on the exec team (all budget and admin crap...I hate those once a month meetings...feels like work).

Anyway, got up, had my oats and coffee, hopped on the rollers for 10 min high RPM spin to lubricate my joints and get the blood flowing then 48 min tempo 11 K run with 16x30 second hard sprints, 3x2min @ 10K intensity, 1x4 min@ 10K intensity...total of 18 minutes at ~ 10K race intensity...and yes, I am toying with entering a 10K race on Saturday if and only if the weather is conducive to running an actual race (no snowstorm, dry pavement, no 40 mph NW wind with minus 40 windchill). Rocklinwoody, does this workout meet "approval"...I have no track so just found sections of dry pavement and went with clock/internal metronome!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling low on the ST pecking order of coolness this morning

I'll just be my cute little adorable 21 yr old self.

thanks for the new sig line!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did have to do a run in slip on shoes the other day. Got to the gym after a long day at the office and realised I had forgoten my runners. My day to day leather upper sketchers actually felt prety comfortable apart from having way to much movment and trying to fly off my feet at anything much under a 7 min mile :P

Not sure what camp I'm in, though I make sure I hurt ever run and get at least 2 10k + runs in and 1-2 90+ min runs in every week on top of hours swimming and biking.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty is slipping on the coolness front unless he posts more....should be easy for a 21 year old ripped girl to surpass a 50+ guy on the coolness scale...you'll have a tough time topping Larsen or Tibbs though....Triyoda is vulnerable and you could surpass his quite easily if he loses some jedi powers...if you get a Jen approved crazy 100/100 run award, that could push you past triyoda cause that award immediately elevates ones coolness factor by an order of magnitude on account of getting blessed by Jen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could we put coolness ranking on the chart?
Quote Reply
Re: January 12 [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I also would not judge the challenge on training pace" ....... well said. I could record anything I wanted to on the chart and try to look like a stud due to smoking fast runs or crazy frequency or distances but the reality is that when I show up on the start line for a race is the only time any of the speed results make any difference.

On another note ..... I got out this morning in my shorts for 12.5km so my stupid streak of running at least one day outside in shorts every month in the year continues (this is my 19th winter of such foolishness and likely more but I never thought about it prior to that .... no wonder I signed up for this challenge again). It was only -2C and not very windy so it felt quite pleasant compared to the weather last weekend or what is coming tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Linehardt....this is interesting...not sure if the weighting are fair, but what i have asked for is first sort by frequency, second sort by distance, third by time (speed is built into the distance-time sort)...I just look at the rankings by distance cause that is what my personal goal is! I look at the other metrics as enablers of distance (going out/frequency and time). Bottom line is cover as much ground as possible and insert as much quality into it as your body will take. My goal in general is for every run to have one of the following:

20-30 second sprint set
hills
intervals (2-6 minutes)

If none of the above, it better be a transition run or long run. My goals for next year are to run a fast 10K and half marathon, and I have plenty of running base to leverage...but we all have different goals.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think as long as you have run 100 runs in 100 days, then distance should be the ranking criteria in the end. Of course this suits me for ranking, because I'm currently on pace, and sorting by distance gives me the best ranking!!

I have to say, the runs have become quite pedestrian. C'mon people, there is a bottle of Sport-Wash on the line here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you give hero status to anyone on this lame challenge than can do a run that incorporates a sub 4:30 mile at the track? Triyoda, Allan, bonesbrigade, JoeE, Rocklinwoody, CPTChaos...any of you boys going to post the fastest mile of the 100/100? I think JoeE has posted the fastest mile so far with a 4:39....not sure you will get Jen approval, but a sub 5 mile will elevate you into 100/100 hors platinum god club assuming you get all 100 runs done...in fact this should be your "finishing kick on the last run..." :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way I can touch a 4:39 mile. Not that I plan to try this anytime soon, but it is conceivable that I could do a 4:59 mile; I certainly don't have anything to back that up. I did run a 2:57 1000m on the track last year, so that is 4:48/mile pace, but also a looong 600m to go to get to a mile.

I'll leave this challenge to the real speedsters. I've always been a slow twitch kind of guy. I know this becasue I used to get my ass kicked in school when they lined us up for the the 100 and 200m sprints.

Sorry, point of the award is to reward the ridiculous runs that participants would never do without the challenge. Running while traveling and jetlagged through dangerous streets, lapping a fire station over and over in the freezing rain, those are the ones I am looking for.

I've done some painfully stupid runs including 11 miles in the dark on a trail in the pouring rain in 38 F and mud half way up my shins. Came out hypothermic. I have a pretty high standard so man/woman-up everyone and get your asses out there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that Rocklinwoody could take that title if he wanted to but I don't know how many track mile races he'll be running. I'm only doing them because I'm getting ready for a master's mile at a big indoor meet in February. I actually have up to 3 more shots at it before the challenge is over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeesh...and to think that I was all impressed with myself for running a 6:30 mile. I do notice that even with my very simple one run a day pace I am in the top 50...
Quote Reply
Re: January 12 [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree on overall pace goals. People should only save their hardest days for races. My hard runs are by pace (tempo/ long run/ intervals) but my recovery and long aerobic run are dictated by HR.

I did my first double today. Not as bad as I thought. I will try to do the same tomorrow and then see how my tempo on Thursday feels.
Quote Reply
Re: January 12 [rocklinwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...do I detect a "spreadsheet chasing admission" in your post?
Quote Reply

Prev Next