Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: January 12 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it looks like I'm right on track with my daily runs.
I did a 5 mile race on Saturday with a 2 mile warm up and a 2 mile cool down with one of my training partners.
I'm normally a little faster then her,but this time around she chicked me.I was hanging on for dear life the whole time,and she wasnt even breathing hard.
I have a feeling she's not letting on about how much she's training. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a 21km + run with two of the dogs today to get myself out of the "Camp 1" doghouse ;)

Last five km was very slow, as the older dog was dragging her feet. I had to stop and wait for her several times. In her defense she did chase a ball for a half hour before the run.

I will still probably do a couple of doubles this week. I have been on a 10 run a week pace and I see no reason to change that just yet.

Looks like I've been suckered into a half marathon at the end of March, so I will get to test whether I have made any progress in my overall run performance.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

TRIYODA: I will stop pretending that I'm as cool as you are. I will not be running 70 miles this week. All I meant by my comments yesterday of being "near" you is that when I sorted the spreadsheet by distance or frequency your row was usually right on top of mine. I got all excited thinking that I was close to the super cool and super studly TriYoda! However as I cannot run a 2:4x marathon or a 33 min 10k I will pick on mortals my own size (or go back to the pool where I am queen).
I can't run a 2:4X marathon or a 33:00 10K. I was just teasing you, it is pretty impressive if you can swim and still run as much as someone who is only running.
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will you give hero status to anyone on this lame challenge than can do a run that incorporates a sub 4:30 mile at the track? Triyoda, Allan, bonesbrigade, JoeE, Rocklinwoody, CPTChaos...any of you boys going to post the fastest mile of the 100/100? I think JoeE has posted the fastest mile so far with a 4:39....not sure you will get Jen approval, but a sub 5 mile will elevate you into 100/100 hors platinum god club assuming you get all 100 runs done...in fact this should be your "finishing kick on the last run..." :-)
I would love to race a 3K on the track this month. Unfortunately they are not having a local indoor series this year, so no dice. I have not done enough speed work to drive up for a BU all-comers meet, where I would get smoked.
Quote Reply
Re: January 12 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok Dev, yes....but only on frequency. I wanted to experiment with a few double days if I decide to train for a marathon next fall. Plus, I was about to get back in the pool until I had a mole removed from my back last week. Doc told me not to get in the pool until stitches come out. So instead of getting the swim run double I thought why not do a run run double. We will see how I feel tomorrow morning.

Not pace though. Been running the same way for 3 years. No complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tigerchik,

There are 3 rules on ST:

You cannot be as cool as Triyoda
You cannot be as cool at Steve Larsen

Dev
Hey Dev, how much are you benching? 9 reps at 135 today for the pencil arms. I'd like to see Larson do that. All this mileage is getting tough with this much cosmetic bulk.
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Jan 13, 09 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and Stevie L should enter the ST "negative cosmetic bulk" body building championships, immediately followed by the sub 4:30 mile attempt. The man with the best combined points gets coolest on ST...every 5 lb above your body weight adds to your score by 1 point...every second below 4:30 also gives you a point...guy with most points gets "coolest on ST"....in case of a tie, the judges use the "best of" "Why I did Vineman/Timberman" threads!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BV Short Loop: 4.28 Miles @ 7:50 Pace

Second run of the double today. I am actually kind of liking the doubles :) Just a nice run tonight that was great way to unwind after work. Ave HR 140. MB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You cannot be as cool as Tibbs

They call him MISTER Tibbs.

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To

TRIYODA: I will stop pretending that I'm as cool as you are. I will not be running 70 miles this week. All I meant by my comments yesterday of being "near" you is that when I sorted the spreadsheet by distance or frequency your row was usually right on top of mine. I got all excited thinking that I was close to the super cool and super studly TriYoda! However as I cannot run a 2:4x marathon or a 33 min 10k I will pick on mortals my own size (or go back to the pool where I am queen).
I can't run a 2:4X marathon or a 33:00 10K. I was just teasing you, it is pretty impressive if you can swim and still run as much as someone who is only running.

Then I think you just lost coolness points and I gained some.
It's like your big green ears are shrinking.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the German 100/100 would they call his Herr Tibbs?

Perhaps Herr Tibbs needs to weigh in on which guy is winning the 100/100 Bald German Category for coolness points???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Will you give hero status to anyone on this lame challenge than can do a run that incorporates a sub 4:30 mile at the track? Triyoda, Allan, bonesbrigade, JoeE, Rocklinwoody, CPTChaos...any of you boys going to post the fastest mile of the 100/100?

Dev, not fair. This 100/100 challenge started as my season was ending. I used to keep from getting fat over the holidays. Even in shape I can barely crack 5 minutes. I did break 60 minutes in a 10 mile tempo last weekend....can that be at least respectable for now?
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO, speaking of Masters mile....did you see Pete MAgill's 5k last weekend? 46 yrs running a 14:4X....yikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I would love to race a 3K on the track this month. Unfortunately they are not having a local indoor series this year, so no dice. I have not done enough speed work to drive up for a BU all-comers meet, where I would get smoked.

Well you could still sign up for the GBTC Invitational

http://www.gbtc.org

or the BU Terrier Invite Jan 23-24 -- where there will be a 5k on the track

http://goterriers.cstv.com/...c-rel/082808aaa.html

Or even the Valentines Invitational on Feb 13-14 (same link above, lower on the page) where there will also be a 5k on the track

I'll be running at the first two.

I love living in the Boston area. We are so spoiled with indoor tracks here it is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [rocklinwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't see it but I heard about it. Incredible.

[edit] Here is one of the few times that LetsRun is worth its weight in gold. (Well I don't know how much electrons weigh but you know what i mean...) Here is a LetsRun thread where MaGill himself (under username "SoCalPete") posts about his running.

http://www.letsrun.com/...d.php?thread=2824310
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 13, 09 21:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the German 100/100 would they call his Herr Tibbs?

Acckk!!! Ya crazy fur-in-ner, its a reference to the movie In the Heat of the Night. (Just when you start to accept Canada as the 51st State . . .) Our Mr. Tibbs' namesake, played by Sidney Poitier, responds to an insult with the classic line "They call me Mister Tibbs." Probably much more than you wanted to know, but the more you know . . .

Perhaps Herr Tibbs needs to weigh in on which guy is winning the 100/100 Bald German Category for coolness points???

I think Herbert wins in a landslide.

Quote Reply
January 14 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear TriYoda,

My legs felt good this morning :D how are you doing today?

love

tc

15.5 mi (workout)
in 2:00 +/- 1:00

Coughing fit in the middle and at the end (the second bad enough they were going to call the paramedics. I convinced them to let me shower, as hot water/steam often helps - it did). Anyway, it screwed up the (workout) part of it.

So: on the treadmill - 5.53 mi progressive
8:43
7:56
7:40
7:21
7:20
3:50 (for 0.53 mi = 7:14 pace)

[break for inhaler, water, cough drop]

also on treadmill: 2.69 mi in 21:22
8:42
7:40
5 x 50 sec fast/10 sec easy = 0.69 mi in 5 min = averaging 7:14 pace)

moving treadmill from 1% incline to 2.5%,
1.87 mi in 15:46 = 8:25 pace but it was a "hill"

And then, my legs felt good and I wanted to keep running, but was bored of the treadmill, so I switched to the indoor track. 54 laps times 0.1 mi/lap = 5.4 mi to bring me to 15.5 on the day, and I didn't time that but I am calling it 40 min or so because it felt like exactly 7:24.4 pace ;-)

Hee hee sorry about all the numbers, remember I do want to be a math teacher. I'll say this, legs just felt good, decent run.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorted by time, I am 4 minutes up on TriYoda. Sorted by distance, he's got three miles on me. And sorted by "frequency" he is kicking my little tail by 3 runs.

Maybe tomorrow I'll do 2 x 30 min with a swim or something between them to score some frequency points. Plus I remember desert dude telling me the recovery time for 2 shorter runs < recovery time for one longer run. That was for 2 x 20 min vs 1 x 40 min, the same must hold true for 2 x 30 vs 1 x 60.

Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Joe, 8.33 in 55 min for you last run, nice! What's your run background?

Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now I want a nap, this whole running long thing is tiring!

Oh wait... I don't have class til 1... I could take a nap :-)

Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where does running in -39 degree temperature rank?
That is how cold it was on this mornings run. I don't know for sure but i think that was the coldest temp I have ever ran in!

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Ottawa is going to be very cold over the next 4 days or so. I'm thinking of wimping out and going on the treadmill today for the first time in years - mostly motivated by not having the appropriate winter cloths with me. I'll deduct points, and punish myself on a later run to balance my universe.

In Reply To:
Hey Joe, 8.33 in 55 min for you last run, nice! What's your run background?

That's a little misleading, I think. That is actually a warmup + track workout. About 5 miles of easy jogging followed by some fast 600s and 200s so the pace looks fast. I didn't just go outside and run a fast 8. I suppose if I counted the recovery jogs in between the 600s and 200s the overall pace would be a lot slower but for track workouts I don't do that, going back as far as I can remember.

I've been running my whole life, really. It's the only sport I've ever done. I only started doing triathlons because I had a period where I was injured a lot from running. I was not good at keeping myself in shape if I could not run. I found I was much better able to motivate myself to cross train if I had some sort of competition coming up involving the other 2 sports.
Quote Reply
Re: January 13 [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My original 100 days in a row of running was inspired by Ray Zahab. He ran around 40-50 miles per day for 111 days covering 7500 miles in crossing the Sahara in 2007. I figured that if Ray could run 40-50 miles per day, I had no excuse for running 40-50 minutes (average) per day....

This month Ray did this:

In January 2009 Ray Zahab, Richard Weber and Kevin Vallely broke the world record for an unsupported trek from Hercules Inlet to the Geographic South Pole; a distance of over 1,100km. In the process, Ray became the first person to complete the route using only snowshoes and without the use of skis.

Read more at www.rayzahab.com

No friggin way that Ray would let me off the hook and wuss out on account of cold...so I will run at lunch time today!

Ottawa (Kanata - Orléans) WIND CHILL WARNING CONTINUED Current Conditions
-26 °C Observed at: Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Int'l Airport Date: 10:00 AM EST Wednesday 14 January 2009
  • Condition: Sunny Pressure: 102.3 kPa Tendency: rising Visibility: 24 km Air Quality Health Index: 2
  • Temperature: -26.0°C Dewpoint: -32.5°C Humidity: 54 % Wind: WNW 17 km/h Wind Chill: -37
Forecast[/url] Today
  • -19°C
  • -29°C
Thu
  • -20°C
  • -27°C
Fri
  • -19°C
  • -32°C
Sat
  • -11°C
  • -21°C
  • 60%
Sun
  • -12°C
  • -29°C

Show Details
Issued : 5.00 AM EST Wednesday 14 January 2009[/url]
Wind chill warning in effect. Today Day: Sunny. Wind west 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this afternoon. High minus 19. Wind chill minus 36.
Night: Increasing cloudiness early this evening. Clearing overnight. Low minus 29. Thursday Sunny. High minus 20. Friday Sunny. Low minus 32. High minus 19. Saturday A mix of sun and cloud with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 21. High minus 11. Sunday Sunny. Low minus 29. High minus 12. Historical Data Yesterday Max: -0.6°C Min: -20.8°C Precip: 3.0 mm Normals Max: -6°C Min: -16°C Today Sunrise: 7:39 Sunset: 16:45
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jan 14, 09 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to blow my own horn but, I have done the past two 100/100 and I think I only ever did one treadmill run. I did all of last years (and its 14ft of snow) outside.
I ride my bike enough inside, that I won't run inside!

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply

Prev Next