Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Slug wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Slug wrote:
While I like your passion for your tires, those probably don't have the low rolling resistance of some of the tires used and liked by riders here, and flats are just an accepted part of the increased speed.

rolling resistance is similar to using gatorskins. if you only have an hour to train, you lose fitness changing that tire if not your whole workout down the toilet.

Or, after catching your breath during the flat repair you make up for the lost 5 minutes by covering the same distance your workout requires in 55 minutes instead of the usual hour.

If you are time crunched athlete that doesn't work. And I see these athletes get 3 flats a week. That is a lot of fitness to lose. Watts over time matters. Also you screw up maybe stuck in the middle of no where paying $200 for an uber ride .

What Freds and Sheilas you talking about here?

Sounds like people who either need more mm's of tire and more tire pressure or need to lose some weight! 3 flats a week! Learn to not ride the gutter, pump your tires, bunny hop, something. Pay attention.

Let me add, I think I've heard this opposite ways.......but for clinchers end at the tire valve. If not, you're losing center wheel spacing for mounting the tire starting at the valve as it will tend to keep you from being able to push the tire bead into the center of the wheel at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Looking at pictures of my bikes, I have the LT and not the SL but it's the same 25mm rim.

I know it's a 25 cuz I trashed my rear wheel and had to replace the rim. I used a 25mm Belgium rim which is the same as the Ardennes rim.

I make sure the beads are in the center, push one bead on, put slightly inflated tube in, push the other bead on starting at the valve.

I know starting at the valve is supposed to be harder but it's the way I've always done it. I have mounted many tires over the last 35 years. I've probably forgotten about more tires than most people have seen

Edit: these wheels

Oh man, im really tempted to give this another go on my Ardenne + Schwalbe One combination

Only have one more usable inner tube though
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting this. I flatted a mile south of Provincetown on the side of Route 6, in the hot sun, no shade, and sand all over the shoulder of the road with cars going by at highway speeds. I was about as far as I could be from the house we were staying at in Chatham, almost 40 miles away. I was already hot, sweaty and tired from riding 40 miles with heavy winds. I know I suck at changing a tire, but the conditions were difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
I know I suck at changing a tire, but the conditions were difficult.

I've been in many difficult situations changing tubes and it sucks. Most suck = heat or mosquitos.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Many folks have posted that they think tire tools should never be used to re-mount a tire or that it is easy to mount a tire by hand. Here is the ST challenge: please post a video of mounting a tire on a challenging rim bare-handed. But, you cannot do it in optimal conditions.
  1. Use a legit difficult wheel & tire combo, like a wide Ardennes & Continental 5000 tires (no need to do Gatorskins; nobody rides them)
  2. Ride for a couple hours to develop some real-world fatigue
  3. If your hands are not already wet with sweat, dunk your hands in a bucket of salt water to simulate real-world challenges
  4. Wipe your hands on your jersey to prepare for the tire change (no towels, because you would not have that on the side of the road)
  5. Change your tire, video it, and post it here for all to enjoy

I can install a tire bare-handed. But, I would never recommend it for most people and definitely not on the road. It is a total waste of time.

I have enough well-seasoned Corsa CX tires in the closet to make this easy. ;) [not that I think you shouldn't use tire irons.]
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
8. Some combinations of rims and tires are a P I T A. Other combinations combine effortless.

This.

My regular go-to wheels that I ride the most on are now almost ancient, but with Conti 4000's and now 5000's they go on easy with very little effort - so I'm reluctant to give them up simply for that fact.

Some wheel/tire combos are absolutely brutal. Others require a bit more finesse and knowledge - as an example, the HED, extra wide rim bed on the Ardennes and other HED wheels, if you don't know what you are doing will seem like one of those impossible combos. Here - you need to get the rim beads from both sides of the tire down in that little trough in the middle of the rim on the section. This reduces the circumference of the wheel, by a few mm, and enough to take the putting on of the tire, from impossible, to will go with a bit of effort!

I ride a moderate amount - and typically average 1 - 3 on-the-road punctures and tube changes each year. For me on the side of the road, it's at most if I am really pushing it a 2 - 3 minute process, and I'm on my way.

Familiarity with the CO2 Inflater is key. Some of them are tricky to operate - others more straightforward. As others have mentioned, get a few extra CO2 cartridges and practice at home to become comfortable and confident.

Fleck wrote:
Innner tube is already in.
It's good to have a lighter colored rim tape, so you can see where the inner tube may not be fully in. Where it's not in, I go to the spot(s) on the wheel and see if I can kneed the tube in under the beads and into the actual tire. If this does not work, last resort and being REALLY careful, I take a plastic tire iron and VERY GENTLY see if I can poke it, under and up and into the tire.

Sometimes, if you are at home, and you have a hand pump handy - trying putting a SMALL bit of air in the tube - often this can suck/pull the tube up into the tire. Obviously this is next to impossible on the side of the road with a CO2 unless you are REALLY familer and confident with the regulator on your inflator

Just wanted to thank you for this tip. It's not immediately intuitive to understand from the description, but in the end it helped a lot. I've been changing tubes for more than ten years and never needed to do it (even when installing tires on tubeless ready rims), but your tip saves a lot of headache and anguish.

Basically, I did the following:
-place one of the tire beads (call it first tire bead) into the trough;
-slightly inflate the inner tube, and place it in the concavity defined by the tire. I also did my best to have the bottom of the tube (as in, the portion more radially central) between the rim, and I did this by stretching the tube somewhat;
-starting from the position opposite of the valve hole, I then placed the second tire bead inside the rim. This fully envelops the corresponding section of the tube into the corresponding concavity of the tire. It should be noted that during this, the first tire bead might shift in position, so that not all of it will be in the trough;
-which means that when about 3/4 of the second tire bead is placed on the rim, this is when I needed to go around the wheel to make sure that all of the tire beads on the rim (both the first tire bead and portions of the second tire bead) are located in the trough. Basically did this using a tire lever (Pedro's) and ran it around the rim to make sure that the beads are sitting in the trough. I can't stress how much additional slack this generated
-place the last bits of the second tire bead onto the rim; I used a tire lever to do this.

Compared to when I didn't do the step as @Fleck suggested, I was able to get a lot more of the second tire bead onto the rim without using the tire lever. Without doing the suggested step, I could no longer seat the tire by hand with still a good 1/5 of the rim left, and I could never get the tire bead seated. Doing the suggested step, I was able to seat the tire by hand until there was 1/10 of the rim still to go, and I was able to flip the tire bead over the rim with much greater ease (two applications of the lever did the trick).

So, thanks again for this. Only took me three hours to learn :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
8. Some combinations of rims and tires are a P I T A. Other combinations combine effortless.

This.

My regular go-to wheels that I ride the most on are now almost ancient, but with Conti 4000's and now 5000's they go on easy with very little effort - so I'm reluctant to give them up simply for that fact.

Some wheel/tire combos are absolutely brutal. Others require a bit more finesse and knowledge - as an example, the HED, extra wide rim bed on the Ardennes and other HED wheels, if you don't know what you are doing will seem like one of those impossible combos. Here - you need to get the rim beads from both sides of the tire down in that little trough in the middle of the rim on the section. This reduces the circumference of the wheel, by a few mm, and enough to take the putting on of the tire, from impossible, to will go with a bit of effort!

I just found GP 5000 tube type pretty tough now and use to mount G P s with 1 lever. I used to buy Vredestien tires partially because they went on easily. I too now have trouble with
recent extra wide HED Ardennes rims. What tube type tires mount easily now on these tubeless rims that appear to be bigger in diameter ?

Gonna need 3 glow sticks.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I think I figured out how to change the tire, but now I can't get the damn mini pump that I bought to work. I bought a Bontrager pro air support pump, it screws onto the valve head. The problem is that when I try to unscrew it after pumping up the tube, the air gets out. I can't figure out how to remove the pump without losing air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, chucks it is difficult to remove a thread-on presta check without losing air. My only recommendation is overinflate a little, and then release air after you check pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
So I think I figured out how to change the tire, but now I can't get the damn mini pump that I bought to work. I bought a Bontrager pro air support pump, it screws onto the valve head. The problem is that when I try to unscrew it after pumping up the tube, the air gets out. I can't figure out how to remove the pump without losing air.

I've had this happen before. The top part was unscrewing and I just had to screw the pump on lightly - not turn super tight. This happened to me twice on the road (one worked and was stranded other time) and now I have a different more reliable hand pump.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick update. I practiced changing the tire several times and I ended up puncturing the tube with the tire lever twice. The only time it worked was when I used the Bkool tire tool to install it. Using that tool is effortless and doesn't require a regular tire lever. It's almost like cheating. But it's large and a pain to carry in a back pocket.

I am not anxious to keep ruining tubes by struggling with a tire lever, so I guess I will have to carry the Bkool tool with me all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
Quick update. I practiced changing the tire several times and I ended up puncturing the tube with the tire lever twice. The only time it worked was when I used the Bkool tire tool to install it. Using that tool is effortless and doesn't require a regular tire lever. It's almost like cheating. But it's large and a pain to carry in a back pocket.

I am not anxious to keep ruining tubes by struggling with a tire lever, so I guess I will have to carry the Bkool tool with me all the time.

why wont you go with the tannus solid tire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:

Here,let Manon from GCN explain it to you again..........in her weird Welsh accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjkSqQM3rzo
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
lightheir wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
We are now at 50 posts discussing how to change a tire....Triathletes are hilarious....

It's worth the posts! If someone could magically give failsafe trick how everyone could change that road flat in <2 minutes without tearing your finger skin off, regardless of tire/rim combo, we'd end the thread!

Like ThailandUltras believes, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon with people suggesting solid rubber tires, the Gorilla Grip Group building a wall to keep out the tire-lever-using/pansy hands/patient/experienced dudes and dudettes, and every other Tom, Dick and Harry who just wanna blow off some steam here.

Jeezus! Before the age of 10 I learned the change a tube with a flat head screw driver, some rubber cement, a sheet of thin rubber and a small aluminum grate the size of a postage stamp instead of sandpaper to rough it up so the patch would stick. That was on a used BMX Monoshock bike I got myself for my birthday for $5 after mowing the neighbors yard.

I serviced my first bike with a flat head screwdriver, a pair of vice grips, and a can of 3-in1 oil (probably had some grease, but I don’t recall for sure).

Changed the tires, fixed the coaster brake, raised the seat. I don’t think I was 10 yet.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like her suggestion on how to remove the tire without a tire lever, pushing down on the tire and working around toward 6:00. But there is no way I can the last part of my tire on as easy as she did. It takes a tire lever or a special tool like the Bkool to get the last part on the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:

I had two flat tires this weekend, and managed to fix both on the road, with sweaty hands (this is NJ in August, after all), without any tools other than my hands. Let me ask you a question: when you mount a new tire on the rim, are you able to get the *first* bead on the rim without tools? That is, before you even mount the tube?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of days ago I had problems with an awkward combination, could not get the tire on.
Then I put on work gloves and I got it on straight away. You have a lot more grip with work gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I remove the tire and flat tube, then put the tire back on with one side only, all the way around. Then I put the new tube inside the tire, then I start inserting the tire back in, starting at the valve and working my way around toward the bottom of the wheel, i.e. 6:00.

I have not tried using work gloves, but I don't want to have to carry yet another item on my rides if I can avoid it. Work gloves are usually not small enough to squeeze into a saddle bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you putting the tire bead in the center groove?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When popping the last bit of tire bead onto the rim, turn that portion away from you, and use fingertips. 8 fingertips are a lot stronger than two thumbs.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Aug 25, 20 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:

I have not tried using work gloves, but I don't want to have to carry yet another item on my rides if I can avoid it. Work gloves are usually not small enough to squeeze into a saddle bag.

O so true.
But you can do that at home.
The most difficult a tire is when it is brand new and you put it on for the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
Yes, I remove the tire and flat tube, then put the tire back on with one side only, all the way around. Then I put the new tube inside the tire, then I start inserting the tire back in, starting at the valve and working my way around toward the bottom of the wheel, i.e. 6:00.

It seems like you are able to get them on by working your way away from the stem to 6:00, which is great. It's just a suggestion to try starting opposite from the stem though because the stem might be blocking the 1st side from getting all the way down into the groove before you try seating the last few inches. It really is only a minute amount, but it might be just a tad easier.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:

The point is that mounting the second bead is topologically the same as mounting the first bead: if you can do the first bead without tools, you can do the second bead without tools. The trick is getting the second bead situated the same way as the first bead: getting it deep in the rim channel all the way around by pulling to get the slack out.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple additional tips that've helped me:
1/ If I'm doing the repair at home I'll put some dishsoap on a damp paper towel, rub around the inside of the second bead, and maybe a bit on the rim - makes getting the final bit of the second bead to pop on much easier.
2/ Usually wear gloves when getting the last bit of the second bead on. Use palms of hands to push bead up and over, onto the rim. Easier than using thumbs and fingers. If changing a flat on a ride I keep my riding gloves on. Extra torque with gloves on makes a big difference, without tearing up palms.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is changing a tire so hard? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to the first side of the tire or the second?

I try to get it as far onto the rim as I can.
Quote Reply

Prev Next