Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
If jackmott still posted on here.

Totally off topic, but for some reason I thought last night how I always liked Jack's posts, but I could not remember his name. For training and using a power meter he seemed like he was very rational and had a good writing style. Well at least IMO. Thanks reminding me of his name :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
These discussions need to be had

It's actually pretty amazing how few people give a shit about these discussions. The ratio of views to posts for these threads is the lowest on Slowtwitch...meaning nobody even wants to lurk around to hear this nonsense. Because it's the same ten or 15 people prattling on with the same tired tune. There aren't any new facts; there are only feelings. Which is the most useless type of debate.

So I'm going to go ahead and agree with Tom A and say that you should shut the fuck up. As should he. Until there is something new to talk about.

I hate all of you.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems as though this question is being interpreted in two different ways :

1. When will you be ok with other riders using discs? My answer is unequivocally now. It doesn't impact me at all.

2. When will you use discs yourself? My answer is I will use them when I need a new bike and the bike I want has discs.

I have discs on my mountain bike, and I'm pretty sure that I'm about to buy a road bike with discs. I like that it gives extra clearance for wider tires, which will make this a nice gravel bike too. I don't race, so it doesn't matter that UCI changes (that may never happen) haven't trickled down yet.

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So I'm going to go ahead and agree with Tom A and say that you should shut the fuck up. As should he. Until there is something new to talk about."

milo, it's not all about you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
My biggest concern is ease of use/maintenance. I have disc brakes on my fat bike and had them on my mountain bike and they've always been a bit of a pain in the ass to maintain...primarily to keep from rubbing. Even the slightest rub drives me nuts and I've never been in a position where I felt I needed them so the potential utility isn't enough to outweigh my pain in the ass experiences.

+1

I have a mountain bike with disc brakes and a gravel bike with disc brakes. I haven't had them long enough to run into maintenance issues but I suspect I will. On road bikes and tri bikes I just don't see the need. Maybe people in hillier areas with steep descents have different experiences but where I ride I've never had issues with stopping power and V-brakes just require little maintenance. They seem so simple compare to disc brakes. I want fewer things to go wrong with my bike. It's same reason I considered 1x on my gravel bike. One less thing to go wrong and require maintenance.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teeeeechnically, this is faster at 0 yaw (simply couldnt find head on shot of stock colors). So why are there even arguments being had about the need to make things slimmer? That's not very slim at all compared to the SC - but its faster at 0 yaw.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Until there is something new to talk about.

Ummm ....

You haven't been on internet forums much, have you?

Other than breaking news, there really aren't any "new" topics to talk about. Even your ST threads (which have been mostly entertaining) are re-hashes of things that have been brought up here time and time again and again and again and again ...

Also 90+ replies and counting means that there are people out there that are at least somewhat interested in this particular re-hash.

Just sayin' ...

;^)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 10, 17 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I have no strong feelings against disc brakes. What is the issue with these again? Ugly? Not aero? (Not proven?) Killer ninja discs?

I have them on my MTB, i have no issues except that I hate working with hydraulics, but I'd ride them and I can learn to work hydraulics, I have rim brakes on all my rides except MTB and have absolutely no issues with that. But rim brakes are from around the 1920's and im open for future tech. so, yea. I'd ride them.

Like if I get offered a free DB Andean i wont be like "nah bruh, wont ride it. I dont do discs" haha. (I would ask if I could put my rotor chainrings on it though)

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Teeeeechnically, this is faster at 0 yaw (simply couldnt find head on shot of stock colors). So why are there even arguments being had about the need to make things slimmer? That's not very slim at all compared to the SC - but its faster at 0 yaw.

Excellent point.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
You fancy the P5x because you think it will make you look like a cross between Chris Boardman and Tron, and you keep creating these threads hoping that the folks you respect on here will validate your choice. The problem is, it cannot be validated with data available today.

Wrong. I keep making this threads because I'm interested in the turning point of Triathlon bikes which is the P5-X and the Andean. I'm fascinated with the how and why of bicycle design and I think it's fun to talk about.

knighty76 wrote:
The other thread where you started by posting a paper on aerodynamic "testing" and then backtracked to "I like the way it looks", and now this one, suggest to me that you just really really want Tom A to tell you it is ok, you made a good choice.

While I respect his knowledge and have asked him questions in the past on the forum and in private message, I adopt the wait and see approach to disc brakes instead of dismissing them. Also, if you are referring to the thread where I posted pictures of Cervelo's test setups, yes, I like the way the P5-X looks. You may not? Do I care? No.

knighty76 wrote:
If jackmott still posted on here you would be sending him daily PMs with glossy soft-lit photos of disc rotors, mounted to a beam bike leading a race ahead of a triangular frame with 64 gels selotaped to the top tube, a 750ml round bottle attached crosswise to the seat tube, and probably a wicker basket full of flapjack hanging off the aero extensions. But lots of folk on here who understand the scientific method won't approve of your choice, if you decide to buy the P5x.

Being an engineer, I think I have a solid grasp on the scientific method.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 10, 17 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

This might be an interesting read for you, much of it applies to traditional bikes too. My complaint with disc brakes on high speed road applications is that disc brakes do not work well. And that is far, far more important than any other consideration.

See section toward the bottom of the page, "understanding braking", and there are a number of related links at the top right of the page that explain other disc brake limitations:
http://santanatandems.com/...standingBraking.html

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 10, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I don't understand about these threads is the lens people are viewing them through. Why should Bryan care if the disc break P5x is 20s slower over 40km @ 40kmph? Why should any of us? We are not eleite professional athletes racing for money or a living.

1. Can he ride at a sustained 40kmph?
2. Is he competing for prize purses?

I don't understand why age group athletes are worried about an additional 20s when they are MOP or even FOP but not the dominate winner in any particular race. I've seen a guy with an old Pinerello without a working inner ring win a major independent race and place top 5 in an Ironman race. Why are we even debating these "aero losses" when it is a moot point anyway?

@Bryan buy the bike you want to ride and train on most and ignore the aero "penalties" and consider the financial penalties of owning a high end super bike for your side hobby. Nobody needs to validate your purchase other than you and your partner.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BryanD wrote:

This might be an interesting read for you, much of it applies to traditional bikes too. My complaint with disc brakes on high speed road applications is that disc brakes do not work well. And that is far, far more important than any other consideration.

See section toward the bottom of the page, "understanding braking", and there are a number of related links at the top right of the page that explain other disc brake limitations:

Well...he didn't say what type of engineer...so truly understanding the implications of what's in that article might not be in his "wheelhouse" (pun intended ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rim brakes are lighter, cheaper, and i can repair them myself. any 'speed gains' in tri are way out at a bleeding edge that i don't care about, and can't justify until i've actually reaped way, way bigger gains from basic stuff like diet, physio, sleep and so on. i'll keep riding rim brakes until i can't buy them any more, just like on my mountain bike and 'cross bike.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Well...he didn't say what type of engineer...so truly understanding the implications of what's in that article might not be in his "wheelhouse" (pun intended ;-)

Can I ask what your issue is with me? I'm an Electrical/Computer engineer.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Can I ask what your issue is with me? I'm an Electrical/Computer engineer.

No issue at all.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The driver for disc brakes in tri bikes will be cheaper bikes when taken as a whole.
Once serious production starts, Ultegra level brakes will cost the same as XT brakes and smart people will be electric for gearing.
Total cost of ownership including aero wheels will be cheaper than current similar level specced bikes.
Frames will be designed around easily routed brakes and either wires or wireless.
Wheels will be far easier to design and cheaper to build.
Bike builds would be quicker, as will maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a tt guy and not a triathlete. I have no want or need for disc brakes hanging out in the wind on a tt bike. The brakes on my speed concept work just fine. On mtbs they are a must however......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
White papers? Every manufacturer stating it's slightly faster? Pube's upcoming test? AeroCamp results? ERO Velodrome? Tom A. finally giving the approval? We can go around and around and around in circles about this but what will it take for YOU to convert?

Just curious as someone who rides a 2011 P2 and is wanting a new bike next year.

Disc brakes that don't squeal... and aren't slower... and that easily disconnect for travel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
White papers? Every manufacturer stating it's slightly faster? Pube's upcoming test? AeroCamp results? ERO Velodrome? Tom A. finally giving the approval? We can go around and around and around in circles about this but what will it take for YOU to convert?

Just curious as someone who rides a 2011 P2 and is wanting a new bike next year.

When they make me faster than a similar investment in Ostarine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As soon as they come up for a reasonable explaination for the Moto of "Hide Everything!!!!!! IT must be out of the wind." To "disc brakes in the wind, those are completely fine, faster even!!"
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're too heavy. And the hubs are heavy to boot as well! In fact, tri bikes in general are too heavy! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
A clear, compelling and convincing argument that has yet to be made.

Agreed. Same reason I still run a 10 speed. The sport is already expensive enough. When I'm forced to I'll upgrade.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"So I'm going to go ahead and agree with Tom A and say that you should shut the fuck up. As should he. Until there is something new to talk about."

milo, it's not all about you.

I thought his name was Kiley?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them and would rather all my bike have discs... only my mountain bike does though. That said all my other wheels aren't disc compatible, nor are are my bikes.... would be a major upgrade with 2 kids in college right now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next