Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I do this coaching itu and draft legal specific athletes, where comfort at ā€œsitting inā€ is hugely important in saving energy and stress. So excuse me if I think your blowing off confront and confidence from rollers, which you are. So one of the ways I build that confidence is an roller progression program in addition to group rides, crit work, Itā€™s all part of the package, thereā€™s no ā€œonlyā€ way.

My roller progression rule to be able ride no hands for my athletes as one of the ways I know that they are very likely to be ā€œsafeā€ around others.

Iā€™ve had athletes in DL events get taken out and seriously hurt cus ppl couldnt ride in a group safely doing basic things.

So again you can think itā€™s archaic thatā€™s fine. You canā€™t dispute bike comfort/control/confidence as not important.

Thatā€™s my background and knowledge point.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
As I noted I think some things are "mandatory" to help make you a safer rider and some are necessary.

But riding rollers will make you a better/safer rider, it's much more than just "riding rollers to ride rollers well".

Experience riding will make you a better/safer rider. No need for rollers in the least.
Rollers are a shortcut to being able to ride without pedaling keeping the bike going straight. Not necessary, but a quick way to check/get feedback. My collegiate cycling team required new riders to be capable of riding rollers and it helped get them smooth quickly.

More generally, I think people should simply be able to crash less. Hard to quantify that or make rules, but here are some ideas (mainly aimed at bike racing/group rides but can help in other situations):

https://medium.com/...ying-up-607a3bf88de4

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm reminded of a bike racing friend who did trackstands all the time on group rides. He had problems clipping in fast at the start of races....

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden from Geneva to Nice this year over 7 HC cols but I canā€™t ride hands free
Last edited by: Animalmom2: Jul 21, 19 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mandatory. Starting and stopping.

Starting - being able to clip in or pedal one legged while conscious of the riders around you to get through lights - or get going again from special needs, aid station, etc.

Stopping - able to shift into a gear you can properly start in and being able to unclip with either foot.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High speed descending, keeping your weight back on the bike. High speed cornering. Not riding the brakes on downhills.
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The recent Sagan/Wheelie thread got me thinking about the handling skills of your every-day cyclist and your average AG triathlete. In your opinion, what should be mandatory skills? My list in order of importance:

-Emergency, controlled stop
-Look over either shoulder while traveling down the road.
-Remove, drink from, and replace water bottle while looking ahead.
-Track stand
-Ride hands-free
-Bunny hop
-Ride rollers.

I've rode with lots of folks over the years who likely couldn't do half of this stuff and they were just fine. It's not as if you need a whole lot of skill to ride a bike in a time trial situation. If you can ride in a straight line and not endanger others. . I think you're good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can do most of those things. I can do an emergency stop no problem, look over both shoulders travelling down the road and ride the rollers.

I know that I will never be able to ride hands free as I only have one good hand and the other functions at maybe 25%. Because of that I use a camelbak for all my riding. I can do a track stand for maybe 15 seconds on a good day, I would rather just unclip. Bunny hopping curbs I can do but I would rather not. Riding in a straight line is easy for me, its about focusing farther down the road. Great way to practice riding in a straight line is the use of the Garmin Varia radar, make a game out of it every time a car pops up on the radar ride on the white line or as close as possible on an imaginary line until the car passes by.

Stephan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
rubik wrote:
How is riding rollers a mandatory skill? Riding rollers makes you good at riding rollers.

Trackstand is pretty pointless, too, save for maybe a specific track event.

As Doughtie mentioned above me, riding rollers translates well into general bike handling skills (if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!) and track standing translates well into low speed handling.

...so maybe not ā€œmandatoryā€ but helpful. I did try to list things in a hierarchical order.

I've never ridden rollers, so I don't know how I would do on them. however, I can handle a bicycle just fine. incredibly well, actually. 1980's BMX racing will do that for a guy/gal.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still canā€™t do a proper track stand. Raced crits for years and never crashed, and Iā€™m more than capable of taking off or putting on a raincoat whilst riding no handed at the back of the bunch.

I can ride rollers (I think, last time I rode them was in the early ā€˜90ā€™s)

Essential riding skill IMO is knowing how to lift your back wheel while braking without going over the bars. (As a drill, not an everyday thing).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 ft gap jump... whilst staying on the aero bars
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quo Vadimus wrote:
Mandatory. Starting and stopping.

Starting - being able to clip in or pedal one legged while conscious of the riders around you to get through lights - or get going again from special needs, aid station, etc.

Stopping - able to shift into a gear you can properly start in and being able to unclip with either foot.

Thank you! Finally. All this talk about track stands and riding rollers while people fall because they can't unclip or have trouble riding in a group because they can't clip in and get started. Good on you for bringing some reality back to mandatory.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
20 ft gap jump... whilst staying on the aero bars

20 ft gap jump on the aero bars into a manual..

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a bike handling skill; yet maybe ahead of bunny hop, track stand or rollers. Changing a flat tire by yourself.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers

Rollers exaggerate the impact of bad handling techniques. Bad habits/techniques that you don't notice while riding on the road will cause an immediate bike wobble (or crash) on the rollers. Most riders will get a rude awakening the first time on Rollers.

Some coaches of Junior Elites will not allow their athletes to ride on the road until they have proven their competency on rollers.

While I wouldn't rate them necessary, they are something I would recommend. And they will improve your bike handling (and highlight your bike handling weaknesses).

Track Stands

Track stands are extremely useful if you want to join fast group rides. Most riders will clip out for long waits (ie. a minute), but if you approach a light that is expected to change, being able to track stand for up to 10 seconds will be a major advantage. Loosing 5 seconds clipping in is difficult to make up on group rides averaging 45 to 50kph (28 - 31mph), especially if it happens a few times in succession.

For the average rider probably not necessary. But definitely a convenient skill to have.

Bunny hopping

It provides an extra avenue to avoid a crash. Swerving around an obstacle has the potential of taking out (or being taken out by) someone/something else you didn't realise was beside you (ie. a car, another rider).

I've been in bunch ride on a fast downhill descent where the rider next to me has completely mucked up his line into a roundabout leaving me no room. A simple bunny hop on and then off the roundabout and problem is solved.

Some speed humps can be a bit nasty for bicycles (especially if they are on a descent). Again, simply bunny over them. Same thing for fallen bidons, tree branches, pot holes, etc.

Like track stands they not necessary, but definitely convenient.

Riding hands-free

Reduces the need to stop in the middle of your ride. Opening energy bar wrappers, putting on/taking off cycling vests, cleaning muck off glasses, stretching the back, etc.

If you cannot ride hands-free, probably an indication that you need to improve your bike handling skills. Ironically something that Rollers will help you learn to do.

Emergency stops, looking over shoulder, grabbing/replacing bidons

If you cannot do any of the above, you are not only vulnerable to crashing, but also a risk to others on the ride. All are absolutely necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
As a 200 pound man the only bunny hop you're getting from me is on a mountain bike, that shit will pop your tires and our damage your race wheels.

Iā€™m 200 lbs

I grew up racing BMX and spent 25 years on mountain bike. I can assure you, you can bunny hop curbs on your road bike with race wheels. Otherwise, your doing it wrong. Properly, you should be using your knees and elbows to properly lift and land
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some coaches of Junior Elites will not allow their athletes to ride on the road until they have proven their competency on rollers.

------

pretty much every CRP athlete (post D1 single sport athletes) who's come through the USAT pipeline (Gwen, KZ, Matt, other athletes yall will never have heard of) are put on rollers, as they are usually newbs to biking and it forces them to get over the "fear" that the bike can cause at the professional level for newbies.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

Experience riding will make you a better/safer rider. No need for rollers in the least.

x2. I'm in your camp (which seems to be common).

Maybe they're a good tool for some narrow set of skills. But not a necessary tool. I use them for track warmups, like a lot of trackies. But I can't think of any typical roller drill (e.g. 160+ cadence) that can't be taught by the road/track just as well.

I put ILTs (one leg only) also in the list of things that old-school coaches cling to that have no apparent benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me add to the list

Biking while taking a nature brake: the pros do it

Side hop: if you can side hop, you can do other things way better

Skinnies on handlerails: If you can skinny on hand rails, you can ride a straight line

Tire Grab: If you can tire grab, you have an option in case you brake fails

Walltop: If you can walltop, you can avoid a froome style crash

Nollie 180: in case you can't stop fast enough before a red light

In seriousness. I think riding hands free is.... not encouraged... not because the skill is hard (it's so basic I would barely call it a skill)... but traffic and cable job. If I see someone trying to put on a rain jacket mid-ride, I will drop back back just in case. I have a small bike. If I bring it to a bike shop, 50% of the time, my rear brake cable will be cut too long, causing the handlebar to turn right violently unless I hold it straight. Can't expect a new rider to know that... That's actually the singular reason I learned to wrench my own bike.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 21, 19 20:13
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Won't let them ride on the road? or won't let them race on the road? The foremost would have been rough. No way I would have gotten through collegiate if that was the case. Also, no way I could afford a pair of rollers in college. Roads are free.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 21, 19 19:59
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ETA: NVM you saw what i replied to. The D1 turned triathletes are allowed on the roads from the beginning. I've just said that it's an added resource to get them up to speed quicker and handle their bikes better....in addition to doing crit work, teamwork pushing/bumping in grass fields, etc etc. group rides, paceline work, etc etc.

If you follow ITU, you'll also notice CRP athletes have usually the worst handling skills in the bunch, but you can very much see their progression in experience/comfort/ability. GJ and KZ are perfect examples, they initially sucked at riding in group. KZ now is a beast on it...of course that's like a 6-7 year progression, all aided by tons of different skills to make them better bike handlers.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 21, 19 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
? aren't we talking about "mandatory" bike handling skills?

B_Doughtie wrote:
The D1 turned triathletes are allowed on the roads from the beginning. I've just said that it's an added resource to get them up to speed quicker and handle their bikes better....

B_Doughtie wrote:
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 21, 19 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's morphed into all kinds of degrees of bike skills since the OP.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I wasn't quite following. This thread also doesn't distinguish, what the bike handling skill is for: Sunday rides, crit racing, draft ITU races, or no-draft TT.

For Sunday rides, I would say the most important skill is: observing traffic rules.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 21, 19 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go ride your bike and keep on riding it until you can answer your own question. The people responding with great answers learned through years on the saddle and not through a forum.
Quote Reply

Prev Next