Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, we know they (Sram) tried, but knowing Richard as well as you do, he wasn't going to sell to anyone unless they shared, at least to some measure, his vision for the company. I'm guessing Wahoo said all the right things. Richard is/was pretty adamant about not having a power meter attached to his pedal system, so I'll be interested to see where this goes. Good for them!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Oh, we know they (Sram) tried, but knowing Richard as well as you do, he wasn't going to sell to anyone unless they shared, at least to some measure, his vision for the company. I'm guessing Wahoo said all the right things. Richard is/was pretty adamant about not having a power meter attached to his pedal system, so I'll be interested to see where this goes. Good for them!

i've never been against a power meter in a pedal. i've been against pedals, power meter or no, that don't supply the functions necessary in a pedal, and for me that's every power pedal currently out there. i would be fine with a power meter in the pedal if: 1) just like with SRAM or Shimano cranks, i wasn't forced to buy a power meter when i bought the component; and 2) the pedal needs to function properly as a pedal. once a power meter speedplay, if it ever came to exist, stopped delivering the function speedplay delivers, then i can't buy that particular pedal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
Aside from not having the money to buy it, if they were somehow able to make a no compromises Speedplay zero aero power meter then there would finally be an acceptable way to run an aero crank like Vision's and still have power in a convenient spot. Would be an awesome setup.

Mostly agree. But I’d also like to see some kind of security feature so that some bandit with a pedal wrench can’t just run off with my power meter in transition or elsewhere.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've never been against a power meter in a pedal. i've been against pedals, power meter or no, that don't supply the functions necessary in a pedal, and for me that's every power pedal currently out there. i would be fine with a power meter in the pedal if: 1) just like with SRAM or Shimano cranks, i wasn't forced to buy a power meter when i bought the component; and 2) the pedal needs to function properly as a pedal. once a power meter speedplay, if it ever came to exist, stopped delivering the function speedplay delivers, then i can't buy that particular pedal.

Here, here - function optimally as a pedal first, please! Thank you!

Full disclosure though, at my age, Power Numbers are only going down, so there's really no need or interest on my part in measuring them. There's still ONLY one goal - stay on the last wheel in the group, no matter what! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Here, here - function optimally as a pedal first, please! Thank you!

Full disclosure though, at my age, Power Numbers are only going down, so there's really no need or interest on my part in measuring them. There's still ONLY one goal - stay on the last wheel in the group, no matter what! :-)

If the pedal power meter works like my Kickr, you'll soon get 20 watts back for free.

I do like the Kickr, but the power meter bits in there are the ones I have no real use for (reading power from the cranks).
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Sep 24, 19 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all for a power meter pedal, but only if spindles remain interchangeable as they are now. Altering Q-factor via increasing/decreasing spindle length is one of Speedplay's special sauces and a reason why their pedals are favored by so many fitters.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
IQSquare - once they get their power pedal (based on Look pedal) - might be SRAM's target down the road.

Why? SRAM has already acquired Powertap so they have a Look-based power pedal in their portfolio.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real win would be taking the cleat and Wahoo know-how finally making a multi sport watch out of it!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Aside from not having the money to buy it, if they were somehow able to make a no compromises Speedplay zero aero power meter then there would finally be an acceptable way to run an aero crank like Vision's and still have power in a convenient spot. Would be an awesome setup.
f

Well the old solution was a Powertap hub in a HED or Zipp disc. I don't know if those are still available new, but now the AsroCoach disc can be fitted with a PT.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I
With the release of the walkable/aero cleats Speedplay is clearly the best pedal system on the market. When I see my riding companions fumbling to clip in on one sided pedals I just shake my head.
Sorry, slightly offtopic, but your post is not fair.

"clearly the best pedal system"? ...
I have been using Time iclic/xpresso for 10 years and Speedplay for 2 years.

Once I am clipped in, I cannot feel any difference in pedaling efficiency.
and IMO:
- it is easier to clip in with the Time pedal bc it always has the same position without any load. Pedal is bigger and easier to "grab".
- If you have to walk or run.Time cleats are wider, and therefore more stable. With a Speedplay cleat, it is like walking on "half a sphere", there is no stability. If you want a sprained ankle, Speedplay is the winner.
- Time cleats offer more grip on dirty terrain (for those who don't do flying mounts). Good luck if your Speedplay cleats are full of mud... race is over or seriously impacted ;-)

Oh... and price! 26 euros for my xpresso (cleats included), 135 euros for my speedplay (not even talking of the fancy aero options).
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wahoo buys Speedplay Pedals" ......how many pairs?
Quote Reply

Prev Next