Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that being part of a team or club and being able to express your individuality are mutually exclusive.. Yes, triathlon is a very individual sport, but always training and racing alone, with no 'community' is, well, boring. Why do you think something like zwift has taken off? yes, I'm in my garage all alone, but it gives me the sense of training and racing 'with' others and makes it more enjoyable.

yes, there is a marketing component of teams, but how does that instantly label them as a shill? I don't blame Dan for the flashing ads on every page of this site, just like I don't blame teams for their kits or social media posts. It's a two-way street, and both sides get some benefit from the relationship.

I do have my bias, as a former club president and current Wattie Ink team member, but in both instances, I've never experienced any type of exclusion that you believe teams encourage. Recently, I went out to IMAZ to cheer and support the racers, all racers. If you were racing, tell me how divided you would have felt running through the Wattie Ink / Moxie cheer section. We/they were out there motivating and supporting all racers. Same for the BSR crew that I saw, and many other teams.

Teams and clubs aren't for everyone, but to suggest that teams don't have any functional value in our sport isn't fair or accurate.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We could start Team Tucson.

3 group swims per week, couple of rides/runs per week.
With the number of athletes we both know in the area we could get 5-7 guys capable of going <4:25 and quite a few <4:10, plus the women's side would be stacked. I mean let's face it your fiance doesn't mind being on the same team as you!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My roommate was accepted to EMJ this go-around (his second attempt). He mentioned something about them getting some absurd number of apps (all I remember is it was more than I applied for at Coeur which had 1400. I want to say 3k?) for <5-10ish spots of turnover. And the team is capped at around 75. So chances weren't good for anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Fate. Kebby with Coeur Sports here. We just wanted to say thank you so much for applying. The day we select the team is one of the best and worst days for all of us here at Coeur. We love welcoming the new members, but it really bums us out that we can't say "yes" more.

For what it's worth, we always run out of money before we run out of amazing applicants. That's due to the fact that there's no cost to be on the team & all the ambassadors get their gear for free (it's our single biggest company expense behind product production). We generally have a team of around 10 elites and roughly 125 ambassadors and this year we had about 25 open spots.

You are correct that we had over 1,000 applications (we did read them all) but please apply again in the future. Sometimes when we're comparing two great applications, it just comes down to whether or not we've met, heard of (in a positive way) or had a pleasant interaction with an individual in the past.

Thanks and happy training & racing!

Kebby

https://www.coeursports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
the rather embarrassing (to me) social media requirement - example ‘ just back from a great ride wearing my x clothing and ready for a sure in my x shower gel ‘

You've captured the essence of exactly how I feel about the whole (sponsored) team thing. They're basically exploiting peoples' vanity as a means to promote stuff.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first read the subject header for the thread I thought you were talking about a new triathlon team called "Team Rejection". I thought it was a great name for a club.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I thought it was already established that EMJ was triathlon's version of Cobra Kai? You don't want to be on that team. :D

Can we start Team Martin Kove? That would be awesome - maybe with "Sweep the Leg" on the back of every jersey? Man I loved those movies back in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd bet 5 dollars that every one on the team would be most likely riding a disc. :D
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
I don't think that being part of a team or club and being able to express your individuality are mutually exclusive.. Yes, triathlon is a very individual sport, but always training and racing alone, with no 'community' is, well, boring. Why do you think something like zwift has taken off? yes, I'm in my garage all alone, but it gives me the sense of training and racing 'with' others and makes it more enjoyable.

yes, there is a marketing component of teams, but how does that instantly label them as a shill? I don't blame Dan for the flashing ads on every page of this site, just like I don't blame teams for their kits or social media posts. It's a two-way street, and both sides get some benefit from the relationship.

I do have my bias, as a former club president and current Wattie Ink team member, but in both instances, I've never experienced any type of exclusion that you believe teams encourage. Recently, I went out to IMAZ to cheer and support the racers, all racers. If you were racing, tell me how divided you would have felt running through the Wattie Ink / Moxie cheer section. We/they were out there motivating and supporting all racers. Same for the BSR crew that I saw, and many other teams.

Teams and clubs aren't for everyone, but to suggest that teams don't have any functional value in our sport isn't fair or accurate.

I never said that you can't train and play with others. This is entirely possible without a team. I've trained in groups of friends and acquaintances forever. I've set up weekly group and training camps rides open to all for free....not just people wearing my uniform.

My view is teams have NO FUNCTION on the say of the race because you don't use teammates for anything when the gun starts. Sure you can use them for talking, morale support, encouragement outside of the start gun, but this is achieved also with a group of friends and training mates WITHOUT excluding others. Trust me, when a bunch of people wearing the same uniform are gaggling together, an outside generally DOES NOT WANT to crash their party. So the uniform guys just chat it up with each other. So it just results in more division and barriers between people. It's not really bridge building.

Now if you want to make your fort and allow only some people in and otherwise have high walls (exclusivity), more power to you but this is exactly the opposite of how this sport was founded. I was just posting on my facebook about sitting around with Pauli Kiuri in a campground in Wildflower the year after he went 8:14 in Kona and pushed Mark Allen for 134 miles and we have had a 22 year friendship from that. If Pauli is sitting around in his team kit with his team cronies, we never have that chance....or not that easily.

So yeah, my bias is showing, but I see no functional nor logical reason for teams in triathlon other than an extension of the high school popularity cool kid contest. And maybe I am biased because in high school, I had a foot in the track team, soccer team, football team, math club, photography club, computer club, New Order/Depeche Mode/U2 new wave gang and was unindentifiable in terms of which clique I belonged because I did not want to belong to any. I thought it was stupid then and think it is even more stupid in triathlon. When I discovered tri, two years after high school (1985), I just because part of the global triathlon "club" (like all of you guys, not just Wattie or EMJ or Timex or Dev's or or or). You're all good guys. Don't need clubs to divide us apart and keep people outside of the fort and create bogus "exclusivity".

In terms of your club cheering other racers...thank you. You could just cheer your teammates. But ask yourself this. Could you achieve the same cheering with just regular friends and not a club group? I'll flip it another way. I am racing through a group of wattie cheer leaders and yes, I appreciate it, but I know what they are really doing is cheering their guys up the tarmac from me or chasing me down. They are not "really" there to cheer me (be honest). A bunch of people standing around in jeans, while they are not there to cheer me, (they came to cheer on their brother or wife or best friend), I don't get the feeling that I showed up in to play at Mile High Stadium witih a Kansas City Chiefs jersey on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
.... in high school, I had a foot in the...New Order/Depeche Mode/U2 new wave gang ....

Always knew I liked you for a reason.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
We could start Team Tucson.

3 group swims per week, couple of rides/runs per week.
With the number of athletes we both know in the area we could get 5-7 guys capable of going <4:25 and quite a few <4:10, plus the women's side would be stacked. I mean let's face it your fiance doesn't mind being on the same team as you!

We had a team "Desertdude" at Esprit 2008 that was just like that....no uniforms, just a bunch of guys hammering the crap out of each other....what a blast. I think I was the "slowest" on the 'team' with a 4:17! Everyone else was 4:0x but my excuse was I did IM Canada, flew out to China for work, got violently sick (the only time in my life on an Asia trip) and then flew back and made it back with 48 hrs to spare. But no team needed, just a bunch of people getting together to race and have a good time. I shaved with soap anyway, like I have done since recruit camp in 1984 (why pay for fancy team shaving cream, when I can use soap for cheap and give money to Messick instead).
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
.... in high school, I had a foot in the...New Order/Depeche Mode/U2 new wave gang ....

Always knew I liked you for a reason.

Well I was too scared to admit that i also liked Disco.....new wave was kind of a disguised version of disco but at least you did not end up being a complete social outcast. I also left out Pet Shop Boys and on the other side Freddie Mercury before it was cool to admit to love their music and shows and their style. If I could rewind and be like Freddie was on stage with the girls, and knew what I know now, I'd have no problem scoring with the beautiful women. Fortunately, my wife saw through the nerd/sport guy and scooped me up.

In any case back to the topic on team rejection....we already have the global triathlon club...why do we need anything else. By the way, I do see the function of local clubs to help create a training environment for new racers, just like we have swim clubs, ski clubs, bike clubs. At a local level, these make sense to get athletes functionally and technically competent at the sport. I've tried to do that with free group training for people without the artificial divide that a club can put up at my local level. At a learning level, the clubs have value. At an elite/cross city level, they are just exclusivity orgs.

I see no point of national scale "teams" who are only out for bragging rights, exclusivity and some source of questionable marketing (I'd rather see pros get the marketing coverage since they need the exposure). National elite-ish age group outfits water down the pro side of the sport.

Anyway, my 2 cents on a divisive topic. I've had a lot of friends on 'teams' both locally and nationally, and I have found once they joined those orgs their outward behavior to the rest of us, not in those clubs was different...ex: "Want to go for dinner with some of my friends over from England and Japan over to race here in Tremblant"....answer, "No, I have to go to dinner with my teammates!!!" Really, we just had guys fly across the pond to race in our back yard and you NEED to have dinner with people you trained with on Friday and you will train with on Tuesday and you will have dinner with before the race and after the race?

I won't even sit with Canadians at a world's event. I can sit with Canadians every day back home. I'd rather hang out with someone from Khazakstan, Israel, or South Africa and learn about their world. We can talk Sydney Crosby talk all we want over hockey nite in Canada back home.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really like the marketing teams for our sport for ME and while I've done that stuff and enjoyed it while it made sense for me.... I stay away from that hooplah as it distracts me from my core goals/values right now. I think I could get on any team...probably even this all men's team if I wanted it enough and started my pre-application efforts at least a year in advance. Although after this post that is likely not going to be true anymore!

The competition to get on these teams is STIFF. It is like applying for a job....just because you did not get selected does not mean you were not in consideration. The job is to be a marketing tool. Unless you do some serious damage control starting now, you aren't getting picked next year either though with this post out there.
Winning your AG at Ironman brand races puts you at the top of the pile BUT...you likely don't HAVE to do that to be selected as their tool.

I think you also have a better chance to get on their team if you are already on another team so they can steal you away.
Easier to get a job when you already have one...so maybe join one of the groups where everyone gets on the "elite" team if they pay enough dues to set you up better for next year. Hash tag and market the heck out of your team. Don't sip the kool-aid. Chug it. Spike it and serve it up!

On social, you seem like you have a niche group of people that you consider your audience and it is the Slowtwitch type crowd and those who pretend to mock ST while checking it every day (no offense, I love you guys). I don't know that most folks newer to the sport (fresh blood for marketing) would feel you were "approachable" even though you ARE a genuine, intelligent, nice guy who just wants to share your knowledge. Sometimes, frequent ST posters like yourself who are not shy about expressing opinions and do not have a vanilla feel good message are intimidating to regular folks. EMJ likes to give the illusion of being "regular folks" with speed. Regular folks don't blog about running streaks every day or ruthlessly critique bike fits.

Teams that you mentioned are marketing vehicles and being a brand ambassador is to be their tool.

To what extent are you willing and able to be a tool?

Maybe not enough. If you don't have a strong desire in being a tool that becomes clear to those seeking such for their organizations.

Not everyone on that team does Ironman but you have to have another angle...which you do. If you are a human billboard you actually are in the real estate where they target. Issue I see though is that you just aren't a blank slate type personality on social. Reflect upon this: Who wants to buy a billboard that already has writing all over it? You need to be more of a frame where they can drop in and fit their message.

Looking at EMJ and the select few I know of on there reading between the lines of what they SAY it seems they want people who win races/place high and are fast BUT who don't give off the vibe of being consumed by the sport and who present close ties to their family and careers.

It seems painting a picture to your strong social media following of being a family oriented person with an extremely well balanced lifestyle who barely trains (while actually training like it is another full time job behind the curtain in order to meet the podiums/achievements required) AND has no body or facial hair is what it takes. You could fit into that mold if you want.

They are seen as non-confrontational, easy going, career and family guys who work hard (but not THAT hard) to win/place at races. Not sure I would call you confrontational but you do speak openly against the status quo which I don't see their team members doing. You also might want a clean shaven FB profile picture and maybe find some kids....like nephews or cousins to get more family type feed added to your insta stories.

The team members are also really good at sales. Say hypothetically that an athlete attends a winter tri camp in Tuscon and is trying to find a new aero bottle when theirs flew off and cracked. EMJ is the smooth guy who would follow them all around the store convincing them to buy their sponsor's products not even mentioning their relationship to it as they show off photos of their daughter. "Hypothetically." I don't picture you doing that but you could. You would likely rather use free time to be on your phone reading posts on ST arguing over if that Sionel Landers guy (name changed to protect the innocent LOL) could win both 70.3 and Kona in the same season than pushing products on a fellow AGer...umm....hypothetically. Nothing wrong either way...but what would you rather be doing?

Given how small our sport is they probably all already know each other. Like anywhere...references and connections do matter.

Did you contact every member individually who you know on that team months out and let them know you were interested in helping EMJ with their message asking them to put in a good word? Did you mention how excited you were to grow their business because you believe in their products and more so, in how much they inspire men out there that they too can achieve their potential in sport and have serious careers, while involving their beautiful families in their #blessed triathlon journey all while using the EMJ shampoo for their shiny hair? Is that sentiment GENUINE? I am guessing it would not be entirely sincere and they can often detect that.

If sights are set on a team that is not a complete match with your beliefs you may want to undergo some hypnosis prior to application season next year until you are a true believer.

Also, when they rejected you, did you send them a thank you for the opportunity note, ask why you were not considered and express interest in following the team and that you hope to be selected next year and then keep quiet about your personal feelings? Those are the kind of people who likely get on.

I think the "job" here is marketing tool. If you don't want to be a tool, don't apply for the teams.

If you are OK with being a marketing tool in return for the opportunity to share the journey with men in matching kits, and the sponsorship discount codes and perks....the GLORY and validation of being selected and promoted by their media folks...you keep on trying. If you want the "funding" and platform for your age group career and you embrace their "message" start catering your social media to be a closer fit with their marketing avatar and get to know these guys personally as well.

In my opinion...you have a lot of what it takes...but I just suspect you don't want to be a tool enough to get selected.
Members are marketing vehicles and those who join take that role seriously or they won't last a season with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Track-Cat Kelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meant to reply to OP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

In any case back to the topic on team rejection....we already have the global triathlon club...why do we need anything else. By the way, I do see the function of local clubs to help create a training environment for new racers, just like we have swim clubs, ski clubs, bike clubs. At a local level, these make sense to get athletes functionally and technically competent at the sport. I've tried to do that with free group training for people without the artificial divide that a club can put up at my local level. At a learning level, the clubs have value. At an elite/cross city level, they are just exclusivity orgs.

I see no point of national scale "teams" who are only out for bragging rights, exclusivity and some source of questionable marketing (I'd rather see pros get the marketing coverage since they need the exposure). National elite-ish age group outfits water down the pro side of the sport.

Agree Dev. I've been on an Ohio based RD's team for 20+ years. In the early years, I enjoyed the camaraderie and my ego enjoyed the exclusivity of the team, albeit in a much smaller pond than a national team. As I've grown older, I've hoped that I would have the same relationships with the core group of guys on the team whether or not I was wearing the team's kit. The camaraderie and friendships should come from the sweat, smiles and tears in training and racing, not the kit you are wearing. The team has been open to anyone who wants to pay for the kit for the past half-dozen years so there's no longer any exclusivity and the RD's team is outnumbered by multiple other club teams at the RD's events.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 8, 17 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think exclusivity isn't in and of itself necessarily a bad thing. I mean if you want your product/team/brand to be X, then great. I think where it gets muddy is if you are that exclusivity but then saying you are for the people or aren't "exclusive". That's when you're mudding the waters. But if your brand business decisions are made in a way that creates exclusivity, good on you. I think it then creates "chatter" about your brand being that, and I don't know if that is good/bad/indifferent, but I certainly think it "brands" you a certain way. Hell, I've had coaches I trust and know well tell me my brand is "junior" coaching, and I laugh because I do as much U 25/adults as I do juniors. But that's what outsiders see from my content I am apparently putting out there. So I think if you want to push exclusivity, great, I just think it then puts you in that corner that you are doing the "cool kids" thing, and if you are great...it's working....if you aren't going with that mindset and you truly are trying to be more open, you aren't showcasing that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot on !!!

Track-Cat Kelly wrote:
I don't really like the marketing teams for our sport for ME and while I've done that stuff and enjoyed it while it made sense for me.... I stay away from that hooplah as it distracts me from my core goals/values right now. I think I could get on any team...probably even this all men's team if I wanted it enough and started my pre-application efforts at least a year in advance. Although after this post that is likely not going to be true anymore!

The competition to get on these teams is STIFF. It is like applying for a job....just because you did not get selected does not mean you were not in consideration. The job is to be a marketing tool. Unless you do some serious damage control starting now, you aren't getting picked next year either though with this post out there.
Winning your AG at Ironman brand races puts you at the top of the pile BUT...you likely don't HAVE to do that to be selected as their tool.

I think you also have a better chance to get on their team if you are already on another team so they can steal you away.
Easier to get a job when you already have one...so maybe join one of the groups where everyone gets on the "elite" team if they pay enough dues to set you up better for next year. Hash tag and market the heck out of your team. Don't sip the kool-aid. Chug it. Spike it and serve it up!

On social, you seem like you have a niche group of people that you consider your audience and it is the Slowtwitch type crowd and those who pretend to mock ST while checking it every day (no offense, I love you guys). I don't know that most folks newer to the sport (fresh blood for marketing) would feel you were "approachable" even though you ARE a genuine, intelligent, nice guy who just wants to share your knowledge. Sometimes, frequent ST posters like yourself who are not shy about expressing opinions and do not have a vanilla feel good message are intimidating to regular folks. EMJ likes to give the illusion of being "regular folks" with speed. Regular folks don't blog about running streaks every day or ruthlessly critique bike fits.

Teams that you mentioned are marketing vehicles and being a brand ambassador is to be their tool.

Maybe not enough. If you don't have a strong desire in being a tool that becomes clear to those seeking such for their organizations.

Not everyone on that team does Ironman but you have to have another angle...which you do. If you are a human billboard you actually are in the real estate where they target. Issue I see though is that you just aren't a blank slate type personality on social. Reflect upon this: Who wants to buy a billboard that already has writing all over it? You need to be more of a frame where they can drop in and fit their message.

Looking at EMJ and the select few I know of on there reading between the lines of what they SAY it seems they want people who win races/place high and are fast BUT who don't give off the vibe of being consumed by the sport and who present close ties to their family and careers.

It seems painting a picture to your strong social media following of being a family oriented person with an extremely well balanced lifestyle who barely trains (while actually training like it is another full time job behind the curtain in order to meet the podiums/achievements required) AND has no body or facial hair is what it takes. You could fit into that mold if you want.

They are seen as non-confrontational, easy going, career and family guys who work hard (but not THAT hard) to win/place at races. Not sure I would call you confrontational but you do speak openly against the status quo which I don't see their team members doing. You also might want a clean shaven FB profile picture and maybe find some kids....like nephews or cousins to get more family type feed added to your insta stories.

The team members are also really good at sales. Say hypothetically that an athlete attends a winter tri camp in Tuscon and is trying to find a new aero bottle when theirs flew off and cracked. EMJ is the smooth guy who would follow them all around the store convincing them to buy their sponsor's products not even mentioning their relationship to it as they show off photos of their daughter. "Hypothetically." I don't picture you doing that but you could. You would likely rather use free time to be on your phone reading posts on ST arguing over if that Sionel Landers guy (name changed to protect the innocent LOL) could win both 70.3 and Kona in the same season than pushing products on a fellow AGer...umm....hypothetically. Nothing wrong either way...but what would you rather be doing?

Given how small our sport is they probably all already know each other. Like anywhere...references and connections do matter.

Did you contact every member individually who you know on that team months out and let them know you were interested in helping EMJ with their message asking them to put in a good word? Did you mention how excited you were to grow their business because you believe in their products and more so, in how much they inspire men out there that they too can achieve their potential in sport and have serious careers, while involving their beautiful families in their #blessed triathlon journey all while using the EMJ shampoo for their shiny hair? Is that sentiment GENUINE? I am guessing it would not be entirely sincere and they can often detect that.

If sights are set on a team that is not a complete match with your beliefs you may want to undergo some hypnosis prior to application season next year until you are a true believer.

Also, when they rejected you, did you send them a thank you for the opportunity note, ask why you were not considered and express interest in following the team and that you hope to be selected next year and then keep quiet about your personal feelings? Those are the kind of people who likely get on.

I think the "job" here is marketing tool. If you don't want to be a tool, don't apply for the teams.

If you are OK with being a marketing tool in return for the opportunity to share the journey with men in matching kits, and the sponsorship discount codes and perks....the GLORY and validation of being selected and promoted by their media folks...you keep on trying. If you want the "funding" and platform for your age group career and you embrace their "message" start catering your social media to be a closer fit with their marketing avatar and get to know these guys personally as well.

In my opinion...you have a lot of what it takes...but I just suspect you don't want to be a tool enough to get selected.
Members are marketing vehicles and those who join take that role seriously or they won't last a season with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Track-Cat Kelly wrote:

haha, well...i'm not gonna quote the whole thing but quite a lot/everything that you say is definitely true. i quoted this part because i'm already a tool!

my main issues appeared to stem from my application's sarcasm and flippant responses. so, when someone like me is on the fence performance/branding wise, my responses of ''i will bring less bro-ness to the team in 2018'' are not going to go well for me.

so basically, any frustration i feel can only be directed at myself.

but at the end of the day, you're right.

also, this made me literally laugh out loud

Track-Cat Kelly wrote:
You also might want a clean shaven FB profile picture and maybe find some kids....like nephews or cousins to get more family type feed added to your insta stories.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 8, 17 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, getting rejected on application is probably a lot better than being dropped mid season. But you likely didn't get the trucker hat...so it still sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too got rejected from EMJ. Probably not as fast as I need to be (4:21 70.3 PR), but did beat a few of them at 70.3 WC in Chattanooga. I always use them as a good measuring stick when I pass 'em in a race - guess I get to keep doing that. ;)

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The deals that make the most sense that have the most alignment, often fall by the way-side.

Welcome to the world of, "rejection and negativity".

I always find stories like this fascinating. Another common one is - they did not get the Job, via the application interview process and it's devastating to them (the applicant)

I'm thinking more people, would cope and deal with these situations better if they spent some time in Sales. Rejection. Getting said, "No" or the more polite, "No thank you", to, is a frequent daily occurrence. The reality is, in B2B Sales/Business, and that's what this sort of situation is, as well as the Job Search (although many don't think of it that way - but they really should), 80% or more of the people you approach, pitch, talk to, sell-to, interact with, really don't care about you, and what you have to offer - and it's NOT something you can change. Don't take it personally. Just move on to the next bunch of opportunities in the funnel. Because you have lots of opportunities in the funnel, right?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
The deals that make the most sense that have the most alignment, often fall by the way-side.

Welcome to the world of, "rejection and negativity".

I always find stories like this fascinating. Another common one is - they did not get the Job, via the application interview process and it's devastating to them (the applicant)

I'm thinking more people, would cope and deal with these situations better if they spent some time in Sales. Rejection. Getting said, "No" or the more polite, "No thank you", to, is a frequent daily occurrence. The reality is, in B2B Sales/Business, and that's what this sort of situation is, as well as the Job Search (although many don't think of it that way - but they really should), 80% or more of the people you approach, pitch, talk to, sell-to, interact with, really don't care about you, and what you have to offer - and it's NOT something you can change. Don't take it personally. Just move on to the next bunch of opportunities in the funnel. Because you have lots of opportunities in the funnel, right?

so so true, but with today's snowflakes, they are always used to getting their way, and in a lot of cases with limited effort.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Am I butthurt about that? "

Does EMJ make a product for that?

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this has been an interesting thread

Didn't realize there are "fees" for a team like this. Can you believe people pay their hard-earned money to be a shill? The social media posts, the podium polo shirts with "sponsors", it's all really sad.

I'm with Dev. The teams are divisive and embarrassing.

Be grateful for the rejection.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Haycraft, I'm not sure if I'm more upset that you applied for EMJ or got rejected........

Only four posts into what promises to be an epic read for me tonight, and I'm already laughing my ass off.
Quote Reply

Prev Next