Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]

Pantelones wrote:
I'll just comment as a mechanical design engineer. If you have a configuration that can fail at high probability if the customer doesn't take an action like plug a stress concentration hole then your product needs to be redesigned. It simply, from a risk assessment point of view, is not acceptable to rely primarily on a instruction/warning to mitigate a failure mode if the failure mode can be designed out.

Came here to say this. People will not plug some holes. Why would they? They'll mount the product and they'll go ride. Here's a picture:

http://www.tririg.com/...60/000_Store_713.jpg

That's. No. Just no. Besides their website says this:

>>>Just two parts, and two bolts. Ultimate simplicity.

Except it isn't. Additional steps are needed. Steps that aren't required to get the product to function initially; they are required to keep the product functioning long term. That's a rookie mistake.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]

I'm not upset at Nick's response but he fact that the OP was satisfied with the response, without ever coherently explaining leaves me frustrated. I don't know whether the product is defective or it was user error. Nick--understandably--isn't going to come on here and admit a faulty product so I just wish the OP would explain himself better so that we all benefit. If his goal was simply to get a response from Tririg then posting here first before contacting the company is suspicious. If his goal was to help other potential users then he has failed miserably as I still have no idea what exactly happened, how he assembled the product etc.

I am now suspicious of my beta product--perhaps with no strong reason for being so (other than a vague story and Tririg's history)--but I don't want to be the next accident that then necessitates the recall.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

Why not email Nick and see if he'll issue you a new one with whatever part they've replaced? Or see if he responds at all?

----
@adamwfurlong

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [BMANX] [ In reply to ]

BMANX wrote:
There are significantly more than a few good stories.

What I described is called a "ratio."
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Nov 6, 16 16:58

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [Power13] [ In reply to ]

Power13 wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

But they do have entire customer service teams to deal with such things. And I'll bet the first thing out of a customer service teams mouth is not "but did you follow the directions".

I'm not defending TriRig, but you are misrepresenting what happened. For the sake of accuracy I'll just note that 1) the "first thing out of [TriRig's] mouth" was not "did you follow the directions" and 2) most companies would respond exactly as TriRig did....basically "sorry to hear about that. Did you install the part correctly?"

ETA - that said, TriRig certainly could have come across as being more concerned with the two riders who not down.

Not expressing an opinion on yhis issue but with regards to how companies respond to issues, I have two examples. First, my Scicon Aerotech Evolution case was returned to me with the skewer holes punctured and a wheel housing broken. When I called Scicon to talk about the warranty, their immediate response was "you must be abusing the case and the warranty doesn't cover abuse". When I called Cervelo to ask if they had a water bottle I could buy to replace the one that fell off my P4 during a crash, they said "no problem and no charge". In other words, different companies address customer issues in different ways, gain a reputation for doing so, and will be relected in their sales and standing in their particular industry.
Last edited by: gphin305: Nov 18, 16 4:58

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]

cobra_kai wrote:
wsrobert wrote:
That's a fascinating story Ken. I didn't realize faulty code can cause bodily harm.

Lol seriously? Totally off topic but faulty code has the potential to cause more bodily harm than bikes ever could.

Yes. One word: cars

People just have no idea. Everything nowadays has a general purpose computer in it, running an OS, and functionality is provided by custom code running on that OS. Kitchen appliances, TVs, cars, factory machinery, printers, ATMs, cash registers. It is all buggy because perfectly reliable code is nay impossible. And lately people have started connecting all of that to the internet. Jesus.

Hitting brakes in a Tesla wirelessly:
http://arstechnica.com/...kes-from-miles-away/

Got onstar? Disable it:
http://arstechnica.com/...te-access-to-onstar/

Control any Nissan over the internet, only VIN number is needed:
http://arstechnica.com/...nerability-revealed/

Etc etc etc etc.....

Here's someone playing Doom on a printer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWi5yJK3zo

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]

I work in medical device software. I hope none of you ever experience the hell that is working in this industry. I believe Dante was considering adding an 8th terrace to the Inferno where you have to write code for FDA regulated products.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]

And the "RATIO" is about 6:1000+ (bad to good). I would call that a pretty good ratio. It is always the people who feel wronged that yell the loudest but there is always two sides to every story. The issue is that the people who are happy normally do not yell so loud that they are happy with the product.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]

sp1ke wrote:
I work in medical device software. I hope none of you ever experience the hell that is working in this industry. I believe Dante was considering adding an 8th terrace to the Inferno where you have to write code for FDA regulated products.
Haha, I was in the medical device industry and totally feel your pain! Though I was part of R&D focusing on te materials, and running some clinical trials.

That is also where I lost my trust in humanity... we did so many trials and time after time again, we had to discover that people are completely ignorant and stupid. NOBODY reads the instruction manual, some might look at a quickstart guide but the majority of people think they already know everything and they go off and do stupid shit which causes the product to not work and then they complain about it. We have spent tons of very painful time working on all sorts of tools so to make it practically impossible to not see any instructions, optimizing videos and QSG's, you name it.... the question if a user used the product per the instructions is totally fair - though my experience was that people will lie about it anyways, and sometimes after they damage the product or it didn't do what it was supposed to do they'll then go look at the instructions so they aren't caught off guard when the manufacturer asked what they did. It is much better to not ask that question directly but ask for pictures, parts, you name it... because that will show if the customer did something wrong.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]

"And for whatever reason, any discussion of those product failures on this forum, get silenced."

just wondering if you're still standing by your statement.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

I am not right now Dan.

But there has definitely been censorship over this subject at varying times over the last year or two. I don't know if that's because of legal ramifications or what. And if so, I guess I get it.

But I appreciate being able to discuss this openly. And let everyone come to their own conclusions.

"One Line Robert"

"there has definitely been censorship over this subject at varying times over the last year or two."

censorship, per google: the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.

i wouldn't exactly call it censorship. banning a particular film from a movie house is censorship. banning the practice of yelling "fire!" in a movie house is not censorship.

it's not a question of whether i'll let you talk about a produce that failed. it's what you say. whether it's fair to the company. if you are mad because of a company's bad service and its faulty parts, because the company wouldn't replace the fork that broke, okay. but if it's a bike you bought on the secondary market, there is no warranty, and the prior owner might have driven the bike into his garage with it on the roof rack.

when i see threads that talk about product failures i look at them and do my best to determine whether the criticism received by the company is fair. if i think there's a real question about whether company is getting fair treatment i may intervene. in situations like this, it's almost always a lose/lose for the company to litigate the appropriateness of the claim in public, so i'm really the only line of defense if a company is getting (or potentially getting) unfairly ambushed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

BMANX wrote:
And the "RATIO" is about 6:1000+ (bad to good). I would call that a pretty good ratio. It is always the people who feel wronged that yell the loudest but there is always two sides to every story. The issue is that the people who are happy normally do not yell so loud that they are happy with the product.

If you truly believe the ratio is as you describe, then I have nothing more for you

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]

Prove to me otherwise! Prove to me that the failures were from a defective product and not operator error. I am not saying that there is not a problem with the product but if there is show me the proof. How do we know that the failure of a handlebar was not caused by something happening earlier (bike fell over while leaned up against a wall, took a hard hit while in transit) and independent of the actual event. It is always so easy to have a "trial by internet" but unless the product was tested after the fact, we will never know.

So easy to jump into a fight or have an opinion when you do not have all of the facts.

total aside - faulty code could kill you if you were in surgery (anaesthetic machines, pumps, dailysis, incorrect medical records, imaging doses) - just throwing that out there...........let alone the implications for self driving cars, auto-pilot's on planes, fly by wire, drive by wire - lots of code can kill you I suspect

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Hey Dan, for better or worse, I think threads like this one will influence whether folks trust a brand or not. The problem is that even a small number of bad experiences may create doubt..probably unfairly. For example, I was very close to pulling the trigger on purchasing an Omni but having read this thread found myself reconsidering (BTW I take the Publius rants with a grain of salt). Would you consider allowing a poll across several bike brands to give visibility on the actual ratio of good:bad experiences?

I dont disagree with what you say, at all , but I did spit my tea all over the key board laughing when you try others to explain your 2nd point ;-)
it helps to look into the mirror sometimes...

wsrobert wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
stevej wrote:
I think it's best to compare Tri Rig's customer service to Flo's. Personally I have never dealt with either. But based on everything I've read/heard, one of the companies is doing it right.

Flo wheel breaks, they replace the wheel.

Tririg part breaks or other issue,lately he responds to the forum immediately and offers to replace part, no?

1. I've not heard any reports of Flo wheels failing. As in cracked rim, hub, etc that causes a rider to crash. But yes, Flo replaces faulty products. You appear unable to differentiate between a product FAILING, sometimes catastrophically, and general product complaints (rims scratching, hubs making unusual noises, etc).

And 2. The difference is in the tone/tenor of the response. Which you also appear unable to differentiate between. Or simply don't pay attention to?

I'll also note that you noted "lately" he responds "immediately" as if you appear to be at least slightly aware of the history?

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [afurlong] [ In reply to ]

afurlong wrote:
When you are a boutique manufacturer, you really want to take every opportunity to make your customer (former, current, or potential) view it as a positive interaction.

I think Tri Rig needs someone less personally 'invested' to deal with customer relations. Love the products & innovation (thank you), but from my own experience, the interaction left me considering whether to put any more cash in that direction.

29 years and counting

BMANX wrote:
Prove to me otherwise! Prove to me that the failures were from a defective product and not operator error. I am not saying that there is not a problem with the product but if there is show me the proof. How do we know that the failure of a handlebar was not caused by something happening earlier (bike fell over while leaned up against a wall, took a hard hit while in transit) and independent of the actual event. It is always so easy to have a "trial by internet" but unless the product was tested after the fact, we will never know.

So easy to jump into a fight or have an opinion when you do not have all of the facts.

That's a stupid request because obviously I can't prove that. I have enough ACTUAL facts about TriRig products to know that I will not be spending my money on anything "they" make. You have different opinions, and that's fine.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [pk] [ In reply to ]

pk wrote:
I dont disagree with what you say, at all , but I did spit my tea all over the key board laughing when you try others to explain your 2nd point ;-)
it helps to look into the mirror sometimes...

wsrobert wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
stevej wrote:
I think it's best to compare Tri Rig's customer service to Flo's. Personally I have never dealt with either. But based on everything I've read/heard, one of the companies is doing it right.

Flo wheel breaks, they replace the wheel.

Tririg part breaks or other issue,lately he responds to the forum immediately and offers to replace part, no?

1. I've not heard any reports of Flo wheels failing. As in cracked rim, hub, etc that causes a rider to crash. But yes, Flo replaces faulty products. You appear unable to differentiate between a product FAILING, sometimes catastrophically, and general product complaints (rims scratching, hubs making unusual noises, etc).

And 2. The difference is in the tone/tenor of the response. Which you also appear unable to differentiate between. Or simply don't pay attention to?

I'll also note that you noted "lately" he responds "immediately" as if you appear to be at least slightly aware of the history?

So I guess you won't be buying my product? Oh wait...

"One Line Robert"

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]

Jorgan wrote:
afurlong wrote:
When you are a boutique manufacturer, you really want to take every opportunity to make your customer (former, current, or potential) view it as a positive interaction.

I think Tri Rig needs someone less personally 'invested' to deal with customer relations. Love the products & innovation (thank you), but from my own experience, the interaction left me considering whether to put any more cash in that direction.

Does Kirk still work for Ventum? Maybe he can be the new PR guy for TriRig.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]

Haha! Yikes. Maybe the only person less qualified for the job.

"One Line Robert"

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]

sp1ke wrote:

Yes. The truly maddening part is an organization can follow all the byzantine rules and regulations to the letter, and still come up with crap code, or have idiot users misusing the device.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [TriRig] [ In reply to ]

I have to wonder if pubes and wrs type comments and this entire discussion ultimately improve products. I wonder how Trek, Specialized and Cannondale would have fared had the internet been around when there began cranking out small, limited product mtb's and touring bikes? Or, how would the billet aluminum craze of the '90's had gone over? Those companies like Precision Billet, Cook Brothers, KORE, and Paul did, from my perspective, push the mtb industry forward... but man, those produces were ticking time bombs - I had cranks sheer off, der.'s explode into rear wheels ripping out spokes from WTB and Nuke Proof rims and hubs mid ride. While I'm not rushing out to buy everything Tririg is producing, having returned some stuff not quite up to production quality to the point of being more than a bit dangerous, the company and its products excite me.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Nov 7, 16 11:59

I had a TriRig stem break on me a couple years back. I hit the ground like a bag of hammers, slid 15-20 feet across the pavement, ripped up/ destroyed several parts of my DI2 set up. The e-mail I got in return was curt and basically, “your refund is on the way”, not one question about my health or wellbeing.

And yes, the stem was installed correctly; I had never crashed the bike before the noted incident, and others had the same failure. Additional, I weigh 145 pounds so not what I would consider an oversized rider creating an extreme condition.

Reading that a water bottle carrier they designed failed gives me even less confidence in the brand. After all it’s a water bottle carrier, not a complex piece of code that controls a safety system in a car.

I bite my tongue every time one of these threads about disappointment in Tririg products/ customer service comes up but you asked for a first hand example so I figured I would speak up.

As a disclaimer, I did receive a refund; I chose not to get a replacement stem (which was offered). So, the matter was resolved. Compensation was provided (refund for part). I never requested compensation for the damage to other parts of my bike nor did I specifically detail the damage to TriRig. The injuries to my body where minor (road rash). I am however still a little butthurt about the experience as you can probably tell from the above.

Prev Next