Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

DFW_Tri wrote:
Ok, I have four; so that is sufficient?
You want to plug all open holes. If you don't have enough screws after installing, let us know and we can supply more.

--
TriRig.com

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]

Searched google. Not a single reference to matt hanson and tri rig.......

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]

Andrewmc wrote:
Searched google. Not a single reference to matt hanson and tri rig.......

Lol, I was just doing the same thing, as I'm not familiar with 'the incident'!

I did find his blog report for 2015 Kona where he mentions an equipment failure leading to a crash, but he doesn't elaborate.....I assume this is the incident. I can't find details from him or tririg posted anywhere?

wsrobert - seriously, no offence, but it just seems like you are on the war path for something that the original OP seems OK with.
And yes, my cervelo R2.5 failed on its maiden voyage, non-drive rear drop out pulled out of chainstay. I'm not sure why you think its a 'cool story' that a large bike company tries to blame the customer first? I've seen that happen a number of times. I'm not saying its right, just not unique.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Nov 6, 16 11:03

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]

He probably didn't elaborate about it due to legal reasons.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

This is a general reply and not aimed at anyone. I'll start by saying that I don't own anything from tririg. As I haven't seen anything posted other hearsay I give the company a break. Show me proof the part broke due to negligence of the company then I'll believe you all piling it on Tririg. Until proof from the he original poster it is all hear say.

wsrobert wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Oh good, they were "fine" so if there is a problem and I (or riders with me) crash too I hope I have similar luck. Awesome.

Right.

This is what's maddening too. Or confusing? Nick will come on here with some ridiculous response about a product failure. And then never follow up further. Publicly. I'm guessing if you keep asking public questions, you'll eventually hear from him. In private.

But how he doesn't understand that he's constantly damaging his own brand with his ridiculous responses in a public environment is astonishing. Like I said, out of touch.

Maybe Jon and Chris could coach him in this regard?

What the heck is your problem?

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the trouble. First question - did you plug all the empty holes, per the installation instructions? Failure to do this results in a much weaker structure that can fail in the way you experienced, and we have seen this happen before when people didn't plug the holes.

I'm a software developer. My software gets tested by System Test (ST) pretty rigorously every time I release a new version of my code. They report back failures, as they should. I look at the data, and ask questions of a similar nature to what Tririg did. It is not insulting, or a ridiculous response. That is how troubleshooting works: you ask questions about the environment, usage, etc. I'll do the same with ST; I have the advantage in that I can look at their log files and make a pretty good estimate of what went wrong (this current release, their errors outnumber mine by about 10-0 :-). If Tririg had access to the broken part, they'd probably have the answer to their question.

Would you have been happier if their response was "PM Sent", followed by the OP's "Tririg has resolved this to my satisfaction"? I'll bet cash dollars that you would have bitched about lack of responsiveness to the greater ST (slowtwitch) community.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"

wsrobert, I am pretty new here, and did quickly get the sense that you and another forum member here are very strong detractors of TriRig products. It was not until recently that I am getting a sense of why (cracked Alpha C it seems). I am not sure if you had posts in the pasts that had been deleted, but it would be helpful for newcomers like me to read your view, in a centralized post that you can link to (if you have time). Only asking because you seem to be pretty outspoken

I am personally interested in buying TriRig Omega brakes and potentially the Alpha X down the line. I did try to google (not just on slowtwitch) Matt Hanson's Kona incident and came up with nothing.

wsrobert wrote:
Cool story.

I no longer own any of his products. But had a friend crack his Alpha C while riding. And another friend was told to use cut up soda cans to prevent his extensions from slipping in his brand new Alpha X.

Did you crash? Injure yourself? Can you show us the conversation you reference? Otherwise just hearsay. Where as Nick does us all a favor and makes these conversations public. Mostly. I don't need screenshots.

Have you heard the details of the Matt Hanson incident at Kona? And Nick's subsequent response? I can fill you in if you'd like.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Nov 6, 16 13:34

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [philbou] [ In reply to ]

OP, I think it would be more helpful if you can restore the original post to describe the incident and how TriRig resolved it. It's still out in the open. I was going to purchase some TriRig products, but posts like this makes me wary, especially not knowing how the incident is resolved.

If you can't say what happened due to legal reasons, it'd be helpful to confirm that as well.

Knowing a rough outline of what happened here, and not seeing a recall notice on TriRig's website or any indication that a new version came out makes me hesitate.

P.S. Most importantly, glad to hear that your friends are OK.

philbou wrote:
yes , the bracket between the saddle and cade holder broke 1/2 way
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Nov 6, 16 13:35

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [klehner] [ In reply to ]

That's a fascinating story Ken. I didn't realize faulty code can cause bodily harm.

Maybe you missed the OP. Which detailed how a TriRig Beta failed (snapped in half) causing two riders behind the OP to wreck. Or maybe you missed the follow up where it was noted that this failure has been detailed before and there's a move to a steel rail to prevent further issues. All of that I'd think would be quite concerning to anyone who owns a Beta currently or is looking to purchase one. Maybe that helps you understand why "hey sorry to hear about the trouble, did you install it correctly?" doesn't really seem appropriate. Once again, all of those questioning are looking at this single incident in a vacuum. There's a history here. Well established. Of product failures and beyond shitty customer service. I don't dislike tririg for sport.

For those interested in hearing more about Alpha C failures, I'd implore you to ask Nick to address publicly himself.

"One Line Robert"

wsrobert wrote:
That's a fascinating story Ken. I didn't realize faulty code can cause bodily harm.

Maybe you missed the OP. Which detailed how a TriRig Beta failed (snapped in half) causing two riders behind the OP to wreck. Or maybe you missed the follow up where it was noted that this failure has been detailed before and there's a move to a steel rail to prevent further issues. All of that I'd think would be quite concerning to anyone who owns a Beta currently or is looking to purchase one. Maybe that helps you understand why "hey sorry to hear about the trouble, did you install it correctly?" doesn't really seem appropriate. Once again, all of those questioning are looking at this single incident in a vacuum. There's a history here. Well established. Of product failures and beyond shitty customer service. I don't dislike tririg for sport.

For those interested in hearing more about Alpha C failures, I'd implore you to ask Nick to address publicly himself.

Perhaps you should, again, read the initial response that asked about a known issue to determine if that was what caused the failure. It's perfectly appropriate in failure analysis. And what you describe in that response isn't what was meant by the response.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"

I had a Profile Design bottle mount break. The water bottle cage fell off, and the bottle landed on ground. I was alone so no one crashed.

I'm not mad at Profile Design. What if people behind me crashed?

Stuff breaks. It happens.

-----
Fine Line Racing - "this is living"

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [cyclingdoc] [ In reply to ]

cyclingdoc wrote:
I had a Profile Design bottle mount break. The water bottle cage fell off, and the bottle landed on ground. I was alone so no one crashed.

You are completely missing the points he is making.

1. Nick's first response is shitty customer service. When you are a boutique manufacturer, you really want to take every opportunity to make your customer (former, current, or potential) view it as a positive interaction.

2. You are correct that products break. But you'd be annoyed if you felt your PD cage broke due to faulty design, and their first response to you was tantamount to "oh ok. Can you confirm you aren't an idiot and followed the instructions?" Further, TriRig seems to have a history of failing products. Maybe it's a vocal minority, but that minority has probably been vocal based on less than positive interactions with Nick.

----
@adamwfurlong

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [cyclingdoc] [ In reply to ]

cyclingdoc wrote:

I had the stem on my Trek Speed Concept snap. It was lucky I didn't do a face plant on the highway and get run over by a car behind me. Trek was a pain about replacing the stem. YMMV.

Dimond Bikes Superfan

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]

ericlambi wrote:
cyclingdoc wrote:

I had the stem on my Trek Speed Concept snap. It was lucky I didn't do a face plant on the highway and get run over by a car behind me. Trek was a pain about replacing the stem. YMMV.

Dude, are you serious? The CEO of trek didn't call you and invite you over for dinner?! :)

Nick responded, and it is quite apparent that the OP who had the actual issue is satisfied with the response. Pretty quick turnaround. Only person upset here seems to be someone that has nothing to do with it, but has made it a personal mission to sink the company.

[quote wsrobert...
Have you heard the details of the Matt Hanson incident at Kona? And Nick's subsequent response? I can fill you in if you'd like.[/quote]
Yes, please fill us in. Like I said, I too searched the net and couldn't find specifics.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]

Matt Hanson crashed going down Palani Hill after equipment failure at 30+ mph. It's pretty easy to connect the dots.

10/2015 https://www.instagram.com/p/8oglM5uX41/
11/2015 https://www.instagram.com/p/-l7E1rOX1f/

One can use some inference to gather that had the discussions surrounding the product failure been productive, no change would have been made.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Nov 6, 16 15:46

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]

James Haycraft wrote:
Matt Hanson crashed going down Palani Hill after equipment failure at 30+ mph. It's pretty easy to connect the dots.

Yes, I understood that from the old blog post on his website. I was more interested about the followup from Tririg that wsrobert is implying was terrible.

SBRcoffee wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Yes, I understood that from the old blog post on his website. I was more interested about the followup from Tririg that wsrobert is implying was terrible.

See my edit. I just feel as though, using common sense, we can make a few logical leaps surrounding The Incident. I don't think they are big leaps.

1) Product ceases to work as advertised
2) Athlete crashes (very publicly), breaking wrist and DNF'ing race
3) Athlete enters into discussion with manufacturer of that product
4) The discussion is either fruitful, indifferent, or negative.

a) If fruitful: athlete probably continues to use the product and chalks it up to "well that sucks, but there are more races."
b) If indifferent, athlete probably continues to use the product and says "well, I won't buy ANOTHER one."
c) If negative, athlete probably doesn't continue to use the product.

So you only have to ask yourself, what scenario do you envision? Nobody really knows the conversation that happened between a manufacturer and an athlete other than the athlete and the manufacturer, specifically.

Re: TriRig Beta broke after 25 miles, 2 riders crash [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]

James Haycraft wrote:
.... Nobody really knows the conversation that happened between a manufacturer and an athlete other than the athlete and the manufacturer, specifically.

Well, apparently wsrobert does:

Have you heard the details of the Matt Hanson incident at Kona? And Nick's subsequent response? I can fill you in if you'd like.

I'm sure it was the same response as Nick has had after many things/issues have been brought to his attention: "You probably did it wrong."
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Nov 6, 16 15:57

James Haycraft wrote:
I'm sure it was the same response as Nick has had after many things/issues have been brought to his attention: "You probably did it wrong."

Great assumption, but as a potential customer, I would genuinely be interested in what was actually said, which apparently is common knowledge to some.

A bottle cage broke, and a few folks here are losing their shit over it (but not the OP!) supposedly due to the fact that this is the norm for said company. I'd like to hear the specifics, other than "Oh he probably said" or "My buddy had a part break too"......

Maybe you'll never know. I'll never spend money on a TriRig product, personally. The stuff is too expensive for too marginal of a gain backed by a questionable CS and "warranty" department. But for every bad story, there are a few good ones. You'll just have to form your own experiences, as others have.

There are significantly more than a few good stories.

wsrobert wrote:

Lol seriously? Totally off topic but faulty code has the potential to cause more bodily harm than bikes ever could.

SBRcoffee wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Great assumption, but as a potential customer, I would genuinely be interested in what was actually said, which apparently is common knowledge to some.

A bottle cage broke, and a few folks here are losing their shit over it (but not the OP!) supposedly due to the fact that this is the norm for said company. I'd like to hear the specifics, other than "Oh he probably said" or "My buddy had a part break too"......

FFS man. Its not a about a single bottle cage failure. I don't know how much more clear I can make this.

I dont know how many times I have to say this. There's a well established and repeated history here. Centering around shitty customer service and product failures.

The irony in all of this is most wouldn't even know about his product issues if he understood the importance of customer service and humility. But theres also a history of people not getting resolutions to their problems unless they come on here/social media and bitch. I'm working on trying to get permission from some buddies to post some of their email exchanges with the dude. Since some of you appear to think I'm making this shit up. Or think I do this for sport. I'm a pretty rational person. But the type of pompous stance Nick takes REPEATEDLY with people who give him money and in cases where people are injured using his products, really rubs me wrong.

For fun, at a minimum - spend some time reading how Jon and Chris Thornham represent themselves on this forum. And then compare it to Nick. I continually use the FLO guys as an example because they get it - the product side and the customer side. And have a similar trajectory and background.

"One Line Robert"

Prev Next