Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [w3bradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put a calendar reminder in so I can get that T1 pricing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
I saw the run is around boardman lake. Should be a pretty flat run.

Am I reading the run correctly? They have it as two out and back loops on the east portion of the lake path? This sounds like a Santa Rosa 70.3 fuck up all over again?!?!?! You CANNOT have 2000 athletes sharing a tight bike path for 6 miles! Come on.. please let me be wrong.

Absolutely everything else about this course sounds awesome. My wife is originally from the area and we spend every summer in Glen Arbor... this is bucket list worthy for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Am I reading the run correctly? They have it as two out and back loops on the east portion of the lake path? This sounds like a Santa Rosa 70.3 fuck up all over again?!?!?! You CANNOT have 2000 athletes sharing a tight bike path for 6 miles! Come on.. please let me be wrong.

Absolutely everything else about this course sounds awesome. My wife is originally from the area and we spend every summer in Glen Arbor... this is bucket list worthy for sure.

Also, if I recall correctly, there is a portion of a run path that is on a dock without a railing. Some folks could turn it into a swim bike swim!

Alothough I bet that this would be avoided. It’s been a few years since I’ve been up there and even more since I’ve ran.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [stanisz73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that it matters a lot, but the Ironman site descriptions of the bike and run are totally different than the maps you found at the Fast site. Knowing how these things work, it will probably change again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode parts of the bike course last weekend. It will be really fast up to Sutton's Bay (~15 miles) and then there is a mile+ climb out of Sutton's Bay. The middle portion will have all the climbing before leveling out again for the ride back into TC. Course will be tough but manageable, certainly not a Muncie/Steelhead type of drag race.

Lot's of buzz in West Michigan for this race. More than Steelhead has ever had. Most of the triathletes I know a planning on at least the first year. I suspected the pricing tiers will go very quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
I rode parts of the bike course last weekend. It will be really fast up to Sutton's Bay (~15 miles) and then there is a mile+ climb out of Sutton's Bay. The middle portion will have all the climbing before leveling out again for the ride back into TC. Course will be tough but manageable, certainly not a Muncie/Steelhead type of drag race.

Lot's of buzz in West Michigan for this race. More than Steelhead has ever had. Most of the triathletes I know a planning on at least the first year. I suspected the pricing tiers will go very quickly.

Hmm, website says bike course goes "through Leelanau County and Benzie County." Is it a single loop through Sutton's Bay, SSW towards Lake Ann, then back east to TC?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the course found in this pdf a friend sent me. Can't find it online.

https://onedrive.live.com/...%2169404&o=OneUp
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Wouldn't that technically be 3 miles? ;)

I'm originally from TC and am considering hopping in but nothing would chase me away faster than a lowest common denominator race course. Make it FUN! even if that means making it a logistical challenge!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Sep 12, 18 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:

I'm originally from TC and am considering hoping in but nothing would chase me away faster than a lowest common denominator race course.

The proposed course in the pdf I linked shows it as a double out-and-back along the bottom of the West Bay. I would be fine with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any insight of this race will have a pro field?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Just saw your link. That'll do pig, that'll do.

Still not stoked on a two loop run, but a road is heaps better than a path. The entirety of the Boulder full takes place on a 8-10 foot (4-5 feet each way) bike path, it's a chaotic mess. Sure this doesn't matter to the avg athlete but for anyone competing it's a massive pain in the ass.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the secret to get early registration, I see people posting registration confirmations.

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Glazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be a member of an Ironman registered tri club.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Glazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWA program and tri club early registration.

Quote | Reply
I only get awa priority registration for IM distance events... I only completed in 70.3 events last year.

Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this morning that Tier 1 was already sold out, and registration didn't even open yet! The priority for clubs explains it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to be a popular event!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what ever happened to the priority registration that was promised to Legacy Athletes when the program launched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stanisz73 wrote:
I saw this morning that Tier 1 was already sold out, and registration didn't even open yet! The priority for clubs explains it.

Yup! There was a flurry of texts and FB posts on a couple of groups I belong to late last week with everyone getting signed up. I know people who signed up Friday or Saturday who didn’t even get into Tier 1. I got roped into the swim portion of a relay. We tried to register but it’s only for individuals. Guess we will have to wait until tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just realized I paid tier 2 pricing and I signed up as soon as I received the e-mail!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
I just realized I paid tier 2 pricing and I signed up as soon as I received the e-mail!

Do they ever announce how many slots are available in each Tier 1? It's Ironman... there could be 1 and I wouldn't be surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I guarantee the tiers are not equally split with the amount of participants.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
This is going to be a popular event!

Perhaps not after folks find out what lodging costs.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its already at Tier 3 and general opens tomorrow! Guarantee it will fill tomorrow or the next day. This is just like the Bayshore Marathon. Sells out in minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Runninglab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok...how the heck is this being sold before general release, that seems a bit idiotic. How do you get pre-general entry?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next