Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think something to keep in mind is that WTC went after MiTi even before their first race. They wanted to call it the Michigan Iron, and WTC didn't really like that, so hence Michigan Titanium (Iron Rusts, Titanium Doesn't). So WTC may have that in mind as well when they move in on MiTi.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Thom. Does a race that only gets a couple hundred people even register a blip on WTC's radar? Beyond the obvious trademark enforcement stuff. I somehow doubt WTC is so concerned that they're counter-programming against a race that isn't even as big as the M40-44 AG at a typical WTC race.

You guys and your tinfoil hats. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [bglasgow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bglasgow wrote:
Thom wrote:
jbailey500 wrote:

Cherries and wineries are not going to sustain the region on their own. It's Northern Michigan. The economic driver is tourism. Silly locals.

I'm not sure a newspaper comment section is the best place to gauge the public pulse. It's going to self select for the strongest opinions and those are going to tend to be the negative ones.
Last year a very large boat race that was expected to bring in 100k people to the town was unanimously denied, partly due to noise concerns, but in large part due to what the race organizer called "festival fatigue".

Large parts of Traverse City are wealthy and could be considered "tourists" as they're only living here when the weather is decent. They're not looking for additional tourist dollars, especially when the city is oddly ill equipped to take advantage of those dollars (there's no hotel tax, for example). Anyone here familiar with the area can tell you there is going to be at least some public blowback against an Ironman event, especially when it closes roads.

^^This^^

I think it might not get approved. I live in Charlevoix. TC people are always bitchin’ and moanin’ About festival fatigue. They are already feeling maxed out on weekend events.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do know the RD posted in this thread, right? He said the race date will be announced next week.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
You do know the RD posted in this thread, right? He said the race date will be announced next week.

Ok. My mistake.

OTOH, remember northern MI is very much smallville, and the good ole boys club has the last word. Meeting is Monday to finalize.

Having said that, I’m looking forward to the race.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“You guys and your tinfoil hats”. Best comment in this entire thread! Z
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tawas only had around 50 in the half distance last year
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [w3bradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to a local reporter
Quote:
With a packed crowd of supporters, the Traverse City Commission votes in favor of a two year agreement with Ironman, bringing the 70.3 race here in 2019-2020

@brad_glasgow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some additional details from the news report:
- It's a 2 year deal with Ironman, which usually signs 5 year deals
- It will be held on Sunday, August 25, 2019
- The Traverse City commission voted unanimously in support
- It now goes to the Clerk's office, as well as some of the local governments where the race will go through

So looks like it's a go!
For those of you looking to travel and stay over, you might want to start looking at AirBnB now. Hotel rooms are rather expensive in Traverse City. You might want to look in surrounding areas like Acme, Elk Rapids, or even Kalkaska.

@brad_glasgow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bglasgow wrote:
- It's a 2 year deal with Ironman, which usually signs 5 year deals
- It will be held on Sunday, August 25, 2019
- The Traverse City commission voted unanimously in support
- It now goes to the Clerk's office, as well as some of the local governments where the race will go through

So looks like it's a go!
For those of you looking to travel and stay over, you might want to start looking at AirBnB now. Hotel rooms are rather expensive in Traverse City. You might want to look in surrounding areas like Acme, Elk Rapids, or even Kalkaska.
Can't help but think this is a "F you" to Michigan Titanium, which is Aug. 19 this year.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bglasgow wrote:

- It's a 2 year deal with Ironman, which usually signs 5 year deals.

In the past, WTC has entered into 5 year deals for its 140.6 mile races. For 70.3 mile races, 3 year contracts was the norm. Maybe now 2 year contracts for 70.3 races is preferred or perhaps this is a special situation.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you now give the date for Steelhead 2019?

Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race director posted June 30 in another thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Bulldogjcz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the area over the weekend and the paper on the Leelanau Peninsula had a big story on it, discussing the bike course.

It said the swim would be at Clinch Park and the run would be on Old Mission Peninsula.

The bike would go up County Road 633 to Sutton's Bay to Herman Road to 204 to County Round 637 to County Road 626, looping back to 204, down French Road to Schomberg Road and back into Traverse City.

But the jist of it is the folks on Leelanau Peninsula are up in arms about it closing off traffic and are worried about its impact. They want the course to be on the TART trails, which are nice, but aren't nearly big enough for 2k riders. It sounds like the race itself has been approved, but the exact route is very much still up in the air.

Anyway, that's the update from the Leelanau Enterprise at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
It said the swim would be at Clinch Park and the run would be on Old Mission Peninsula.

The bike would go up County Road 633 to Sutton's Bay to Herman Road to 204 to County Round 637 to County Road 626, looping back to 204, down French Road to Schomberg Road and back into Traverse City.

I'm not from here (live in Los Angeles) but visit Glen Arbor almost every summer. Maybe I'm crazy but that route seems freaking amazing! Not sure about the run... I don't think I've gone up that way but I'm worried there will be little to no spectators, am I crazy?

I've ridden a lot of those roads and they are nice rollers... what would the run look like? Pancake?

Either way... I'm watching this one closely as I've dreamt about this race being organized and I'd fly in for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:

I'm not from here (live in Los Angeles) but visit Glen Arbor almost every summer. Maybe I'm crazy but that route seems freaking amazing! Not sure about the run... I don't think I've gone up that way but I'm worried there will be little to no spectators, am I crazy?

I've ridden a lot of those roads and they are nice rollers... what would the run look like? Pancake?

Either way... I'm watching this one closely as I've dreamt about this race being organized and I'd fly in for it.

I would suspect the run would be similar to the Bayshore Marathon (http://www.bayshoremarathon.org/course-information)

It's pretty flat and sun can be an issue, but it's generally regarded as a fantastic course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I've heard, almost nothing is set in stone yet, except the date. They're still considering moving the swim so that they don't have to shut down the marina. Last I heard they're still working on talking to local governments about the bike and run courses.

The run course is supposed to go through Old Mission peninsula, which is filled with vineyards and orchards. I doubt there will be much in the way of a crowd spectating on Old Mission, as it's not exactly easy to find parking and you have to go near the race start/finish to get there anyways. However, Old Mission peninsula and Leelanau both are beautiful, with stunning views of "the bay" - Grand Traverse bay, which is split in two by Old Mission peninsula. Here's a picture I took while pre-riding this Sunday's triathlon course.

This is on Peninsula Drive, which I'm sure would be included in any route. It looks west to the Leelanau peninsula (that's Marion Island in the foreground).

As for hills, there should be some rollers. As I mentioned earlier, the Cherry Roubaix bike race goes through Leelanau and has a couple-few thousand feet of elevation. On Old Mission the Strava map for the sprint course I'm doing says there's about 600ish feet of elevation for the 20k bike, and 1,000 feet of elevation on the oly bike course.

@brad_glasgow
Last edited by: bglasgow: Aug 14, 18 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first ever marathon at Bayshore...the road is canted to the point where it felt like I was sliding sideways the entire run--so not flat as some roads (it looks like this: / ) Okay not that steep, but you get the idea. Unless they've repaved it since back in '95 or '96 whever I did it in my 1 size too small Air Mariah/cotton sock combo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That picture must be from either Center road by Chateau GT or Island View somewhere maybe on the road to OldMission Elementary...Peninsula Drive runs right next to the water until just after Bowers Harbor.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woodys737 wrote:
That picture must be from either Center road by Chateau GT or Island View somewhere maybe on the road to OldMission Elementary...Peninsula Drive runs right next to the water until just after Bowers Harbor.
Hmm, yeah I think you're right. I thought that was along Peninsula Drive but that might have been a little further south on Center.

@brad_glasgow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the announced or when will they typically open up registration?

David

H & A Racing
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [dbro1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for the registration to open also.

I already booked a room up there for that weekend, figuring the less pricey rooms will go fast.

I did run across the tentative course maps for Traverse City on another site...

http://swimfasttrifast.com/...ity-70-3-08-25-2019/
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [stanisz73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Site is live. No course maps just yet.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/traverse-city.aspx#/axzz5Qt4oThad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live here and absolutely love the area. I took a slot to Nice next year and FOMO has set in. I really want to do this race! I suppose I can settle for Steelhead in June.

I saw the run is around boardman lake. Should be a pretty flat run.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next