Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sami and I wound up being roommates at Kona this year, and it was great to meet him. I space out when people start talking about power and numbers and ratios, but I have to say that I saw him make the most intricate bowl of oatmeal EVER for breakfast. So maybe diet is the key...

We realized that we put in similar training hours. I'm the polar opposite when it comes to the techy stuff, but I was happy to see him have such a succcessful season on 12 hrs a week. Congrats again, Sami.

RR
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should share your amazingly special training program with the natives, I'm sure you'd blow their minds :D

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Maybe you should share your amazingly special training program with the natives, I'm sure you'd blow their minds :D

No way. It's a secret!

But sometimes I twit that I have no workout, in hopes that someone coachy will twit back a track workout. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For example, the simple fact that he changed his protocol could account for the improvement this year. Nothing more, nothing less...

Chris,

Key point. Absolutely critical.

A common error, by many is putting training and many other things into separate silos - of time, type, sport etc . . When in fact it's all interrelated in a continuum.

To your point, perhaps the performance this year, is more because of what he did last year(or the last few years), then what's he's been doing this year! That's a distinct possibility, but it will be the more recent training that will get all the attention!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 17, 11 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastyellow wrote:
I mentioned earlier that I asked Sami to come join the conversation....here was his response:

Sami Inkinen "I'm sure entertaining; but I'll leave the endless debate for others. I'm too busy executing :)"

This is why he goes 9hrs.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very few pros weigh 180 pounds too. That's 4.89 watts per kg. Would you be impressed enough to call it fishy if you heard that Crowie had an FTP of 342, which is roughly the same watts per kilo? I'm not sure, but I imagine many pros have FTPs of 4.89 or so.

My FTP is more like 4.7 - 4.8 and I've put up fastest or second fastest amateur bike splits at my last 2 IMs; there were 4 pros ahead of me when I was first amateur and 10 pros when I was second. Fastest pros were QUITE far ahead (just under 12 minutes in my last IM). I bike 3 - 4 times a week. This sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This is why he goes 9hrs"

x2

-----------------------------------------------------------------
mikew
Last edited by: mike@tri-mesa: Oct 17, 11 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [turtlesam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Androgen Therapy is still illegal with a prescription. You need a TUE which is far more difficult to obtain and maintain than a scrip. Semantics but probably important semantics when AGers start to test positive and pull out there little prescriptions.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I mentioned earlier that I asked Sami to come join the conversation....here was his response:

Sami Inkinen "I'm sure entertaining; but I'll leave the endless debate for others. I'm too busy executing :)"

But he's a low volume guy. He should have time to join the debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race result. I wonder if Sami is now in the process of applying for his PRO card or if he is just going to sandbag it from here on in.
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever competed in a mass start Ironman Paulo? While swimming in a large group may be theoretically faster, it has been my experience that it is anything but for a MOP swimmer like myself. Having 2500 people trying to swim over, around, and through you turns out to be less beneficial in practice than in theory.

Paulo Sousa wrote:
If you think swimming with a large pack is slower than in a smaller pack or alone, then yes, you are confused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fastyellow wrote:

I emailed him after seeing a pic of him in Triathlete mag a couple years ago and he didn't know anything about it and found it amusing. The guy just loves training and competing but that is just a small part of his life. I doubt if he's ever been on ST...he's just not consumed by the sport like most of us are. Its neither good nor bad...he just has a shit-ton of other things he's passionate about and triathlon is just one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Have you ever competed in a mass start Ironman Paulo? While swimming in a large group may be theoretically faster, it has been my experience that it is anything but for a MOP swimmer like myself. Having 2500 people trying to swim over, around, and through you turns out to be less beneficial in practice than in theory.

I don't think it matters what Paulo has or hasn't done, he will still belittle you with his response ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
For example, the simple fact that he changed his protocol could account for the improvement this year. Nothing more, nothing less...

Chris,

Key point. Absolutely critical.

A common error, by many is putting training and many other things into separate silos - of time, type, sport etc . . When in fact it's all interrelated in a continuum.

To your point, perhaps the performance this year, is more because of what he did last year(or the last few years), then what's he's been doing this year! That's a distinct possibility, but it will be the more recent training that will get all the attention!!

Absolutely! Sadly, reminds me of corp America. All that matters is last quarter's numbers. Sighhhh...
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I notice he didn't reply which suggests the answer to my question.

Toothless wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

I don't think it matters what Paulo has or hasn't done, he will still belittle you with his response ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A 1:03 swimmer is not MOP in the Age Group race, they are FOP and it's much easier, as specially in Kona than it would be to be a swimmer of that ability in the Pro Race and get dropped immediately and swim 1:06 or slower. Furthermore, that same guy will then ride on their own for the whole ride, no leap-frogging slower riders for forty or fifty miles to the base of the climb to Hawi.

As a MOP swimmer you should find a way to get comfortable and take advantage of the huge pack you're swimming with. It's much faster.

Have you done a smaller ironman distance race where you have to swim on your own?

Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [c.dan.jog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 1:03 swimmer is *not* FOP - especially @ Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends where you want to draw the lines, but top 25% or thereabouts.

You're definitely Front-Front-FOP. I'm not putting a 1:03 guy and you in the same boat!
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
It's still impressive to achieve those results while balancing life and work. Looks like that "practice team QB" came within 10 minutes of an athlete that trains full time on THE triathlon squad... How is that not impressive?

You seem not to be familiar with the differences between age-group racing and pro racing. Very simply put, it's not the same race.

ah that is interesting. I didn't know they were on a separate course. How much shorter is the age group course?
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [c.dan.jog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a video of the swim start of my first Ironman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSMpRs_oXRw There were 2277 participants. The swim was hell. I would have much preferred to have been swimming alone. An IM mass start swim for a MOP swimmer may be faster in theory, but it sure isn't for me in practice. Either way, no word from Paulo. Perhaps he has never done one.

c.dan.jog wrote:

A 1:03 swimmer is not MOP in the Age Group race, they are FOP and it's much easier, as specially in Kona than it would be to be a swimmer of that ability in the Pro Race and get dropped immediately and swim 1:06 or slower. Furthermore, that same guy will then ride on their own for the whole ride, no leap-frogging slower riders for forty or fifty miles to the base of the climb to Hawi.

As a MOP swimmer you should find a way to get comfortable and take advantage of the huge pack you're swimming with. It's much faster.

Have you done a smaller ironman distance race where you have to swim on your own?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were 2277 participants. The swim was hell. I would have much preferred to have been swimming alone. An IM mass start swim for a MOP swimmer may be faster in theory, but it sure isn't for me in practice.

I think you posted this reply in the wrong thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [packetloss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your post is barely worth addressing, but I will anyway since people are starting to really struggle with some pretty basic principles of race dynamics.

The point is that a pro swimming 1:03ish would be swimming AND biking pretty much all by themselves. All day. That's a large disadvantage, anyway you cut it. The same athlete in the ag wave has a pack to draft on the swim and plenty of people to leap frog on the bike.

Quote | Reply
packetloss wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
It's still impressive to achieve those results while balancing life and work. Looks like that "practice team QB" came within 10 minutes of an athlete that trains full time on THE triathlon squad... How is that not impressive?

You seem not to be familiar with the differences between age-group racing and pro racing. Very simply put, it's not the same race.

ah that is interesting. I didn't know they were on a separate course. How much shorter is the age group course?

Ok. You're either being an unnecessary smart ass or naive. Tactics among top-tier pros play a huge role at Kona. Much more so than any other IM. It's a different race because many/most 2nd-tier pros (or AGers who refuse to take their pro card) simply melt when they attempt to execute those tactics.
Quote Reply
Re: Training thoughts by AG Kona runner up Sami Inkinen [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes and he was in the australian triathlon junior team...............
Quote Reply

Prev Next