Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/...youtube_gdata_player

Steve Bauer -. his team Spidertech just got invited to the Tour de Suisse

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. At that time I just knew about the 7-11 riders and Greg Lemond. Showing my Yank ignorance. I did IM LP 2007 with Race4Kids, Rich Pady's fundraiser for Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario in honor of his daughter. I was the only south of the border type at the spring training camp in FL that year with Rich and Tara Norton being the best riders and then met Steve Fleck and his wife when we did the Lake Placid camp. So I've hung around getting schooled by Canucks for years:)

So why do you have the links to the wikipedia pages on TEF and CP? Are you the dad of a NICU grad?
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mattbk, i appreciate that and will tackle it as soon as i'm up to the challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks monty, appreciate the extensive reply.

(quote monty) You sound like an ex swimmer, so you know that what often feels right is not so. If you can get a bit of video on all the things you are working on, then you will be assured in your mind that it is right.

Good call, a video update every few weeks to get clear feedback, I like that and will implement it somehow.

(quote monty) Perhaps more pressure on yourself to perform some faster workout times if you cannot get with any swim squads.

That's the hard truth right there, and six swims on from my original post, having pushed myself to take less rest on some of the swims, and just plain pushed it a few times as the distances of the repeats lessened, some progress already, physiological as well as psychological. Good call, thanks.

(quote monty) This is a great thread for that, as most of us swim alone here, or with dorks, so we use each other and our posted workouts to kind of compete and measure against one another.

Hehe... ref. dorks, yes, some i've encountered swimming anti-clockwise in the specific, swim clockwise posted lap lanes..., bit of a shock when head down, going for it you suddenly clash with bimbling-bob coming the wrong way at you. And yes, this is a good thread when i get a chance to look at it, keep it coming everyone.

(quote monty) And don't neglect your speed, work on that 100 time too. There really is a trickle down benefit to swimming really fast and short. As triathletes we know how to go long and build endurance, but once race day comes, we try and do something that we are not prepared for, and then wonder if we have done enough endurance training.

Mine was always the opposite, hence the 20 x 100 on progressively less rest over the 7-8 week prep period. I can see I need to htfu and tackle the endurance while really working on some speed in the 100's. No easy way...
;-?

(quote monty) I knew pros in the old days that literally trained 10 to 12 hours a week in all 3 sports, that is it. But all of it was explosive/speed work, and it worked for them. This is not a recommendation, as everyone responds differently to various stimuli, it is just to illustrate that speed is required in any program.

A friend in the 90's used that approach because he simply didn't have the time to do anything else, so it was all high-intensity sessions on the bike, when running, and he pushed himself so hard in the swims he managed to attend each week, just to eke out as much speed/strength benefit from the workouts. he raced pretty well too, compared to many of the long slow distance guys who had too much time on their hands, and neglected to red-line it due to lsd fatigue.

(quote monty) Let us know how it goes, and welcome back to the wetness..

It's good to be back in the water, thanks, and with some sprints, aquathons and ocean swims coming up in the coming months, it'll be good to through my hat in the ring of self-competition again, and if the chance arises, crush the dreams of some old foes who never stopped competing the last 5 - 10 years, when I took a break and headed for the hills... hehehe...

Forgot to mention, after my first swim back last week, I picked up a copy of Gold in the Water from my local library which is next to the pool complex. What a fantastic read so far.

Never heard of him before reading the book, but the story of Tim Shaw, wow...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Stayed out of the pool to rest the shoulder. Wish I read this thread earlier... would have gone to the pool to prevent future 'nipping' from fellow fish ;-)

I was kind of wondering where you have been lately, figured you were deep into your final secret training for nationals. And just for the record, i'm one of those guys that no matter how bad a workout or race goes, i will try and focus on whatever tiny tidbit that might have been positive, and if nothing, i will make it up. I really had to dig to find that one event and those few tenths of a second, to find my silver lining in this meet. I suppose i only have 2 more weeks to own it, (and you (-;) so let an old man have his day..

Have a great meet by the way, hope the shoulder thing doesn't get in the way of a good taper. I swam with Cynthia this week, and she is not going to nats this year. She broke the national record in the 200 breast a couple weeks ago, 2;17, and broke the 100 yesterday, 1;03+. She actually decided to try and make olympic trial cuts just for giggles since she is so close now. And on our team we have the oldest male to ever make olympic trial cuts, 40 year old guy with a full time job and family. And he is actually a real masters swimmer, 3 times a week, 3k to 4k per workout. On that training he has gone a 55+ and 2;01 for the 100/200 breast, pretty cool..

How about this for some Tuesday news... you're going to own me in the 200 Brst for a whole year! I am not touching that event until 2013. From here on out it's all about 50's, 100's and open water swims. You can bet I'm going to try can put more distance between us in the sprints. My final secret training for nationals is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just trying to drink chocolate milk like Dara. Fingers crossed! My silver lining w/ this shoulder think is that it responds to ice/heat/advil.

On a serious note that is awesome about your fellow teammates. It's inspiring to be around people at that level. I hope their times keep dropping and they grab some more records on their way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam yesterday , after 2000 meters shoulder was hurting a bit so i ended workout. Shoulder was hurting prior on my run. Think i was throwing it around to muxh while doing hills. Might be time to focus on form again with both run and swim for a bit. Did 1650 this morning and playednwith the paddles a bit also. Probably stupid seeing my shoulder was hurting a lil yesterday but ehhh... No damage done. First time i ever played with paddles in 30 years Really never used any aids except a kick board in the 70's -80's. Got do something to change it up as it is getting really.... Really....really...boring!

Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the RR. Nice swims too. Anyone over 50 who can finish, let alone podium, a 200fly and 400 IM has a high quality of life.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming up and down a black line, boring? Hehehehe... The miles of trials, the trials of miles...
I like the, "my shoulder was hurting..., throwing it around when I was running..., so I used paddles the next day for 1650..." Hehehe..., a "doh!" moment if ever there was one, were you running/visualizing like Rocky?
;-?
As long as your shoulders still good, you can still keep moving forwards, so it's all good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4/17:

500 w/u (6:30 racing the Queen B in the next lane)

5x(200 on 2:45, 50 on 1:00, 100 on 1:20, 50 on 1:00): 2:26/25/25/25/25, 1:11/11/10/10/9

6x75 on 1:10

3100scy

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news everyone! I pr'd at Rumpass in Bumpass Int'l Tri this weekend with a 25:07 (full wetsuit). Old pr was 25:44! Course was generally thought to be long at about 1550-1575m by most folks. The funny thing is, this was accomplished by the least yardage I've had in a season, but with more intensity. Typical week was about 4,000m per week and a max. of 7200. Most weeks were about 2500m. But every workout had speed work and if I only swam once that week, it was a hard threshold set.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't know you were getting married! ... and who tastes cakes for BIRTHDAY planning?!

run: 6 mi on the track
swim: 5000 yds
Main set:
10 x 100 best average, 50 easy between them, interval 3:10 for the whole thing. Averaged 1:13
Also did 2 x [100 pull w/ band, 100 back, 100 free]. Fun sets.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [feedtherat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't mean that as a challenge...I just reply to the last poster when posting my swims. If you want to test/challenge yourself on this thread, the slower guy is a good place to start ;) I don't mind being the "slow" guy around here as the regular posters are all fast fish. I started posting my swims, and then started adding some times. Obviously not to impress or, wow, the fish, but to challenge myself to push it and keep trying to go harder and faster. This thread helps me watch that and adds some accountability. I swam as a kid up until I was 11-12, but when I picked it up 15yrs later for tri's, I wasted the first couple years swimming like a triathlete and not a swimmer: 400's, 800's, long strait. I think what deterred me at first was how overly complicated most coaches try to make swim workouts. Switched up this past fall/winter after enough of realAlbertan's and Tigerchik's posts on various swimming related topics began to sink in... Most of ST doesn't care about swimming much. They just want to get out in a not so pathetic time. Since swimming is the most technique oriented and difficult of the 3, there should be more of a pride factor in swim splits. Just like bike fitness setting up the run, swim fitness sets up the bike and run. Plus as Monty pointed out on another thread, just recently (amongst countless other examples) Potts won Oceanside on the swim, and Kienle lost Galveston on the swim. It annoys me when "triathletes" complain about swimming, or profess their hate for it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally you don't, but we were there for the wedding and we're having the same person do my daughter's birthday cake. She's getting a castle with a dragon on it and a fondant knight! (She doesn't like things that are girly).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The taper Day 2...

Well, I've discovered one problem. The world isn't going to stop to try and accommodate my taper plans. I tried to loaf everything but the last set. But still, it's day 2 of the taper and I'm exhausted. Need to start dropping yardage. (meterage?)

500 warmup
12x50@1:00 kick
2x250@3:50 (maybe 1:15 pace?)

4x100@1:45 -- all slow
50 easy
4x100@1:40 -- (2 and 4 hard backstroke -- ran over people from 15 sec back and didn't get times)
50 easy
4x100@1:35 -- (2 and 4 hard IM 1:07, 1:07)
150 warmdown

3,050 scm
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember that real life stress can have an effect too. Did you get enough sleep, eat okay, etc?

On call tonight so swam noonish.
2700 M SCM
300 w/u
6X150 :30 75 'sprint'/75 easy
8X100 :30 50/50
8X50 :15 25/25
2X50 :30 'sprint'
200 c/d
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WU: 3x{100, 100 kick, 100 drill}
Main:
4x25@:30, 100@1:30
4x50@:55, 200@3:00
4x75@1:15, 300@4:30
4x100@1:40, 400@6:00
4x75@1:10, 300@4:30
4x50@:45, 200@3:00
4x25@:20, 100ez
CD: 200 kwf
4300 scy
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warmup - some number of metres... It was the $3 swim crowd in the pool, hard to do anything structured.

main set (4x)
100s - 50 ez
75 s - 50 ez
50s - 50 ez
25 s - 50 ez

I only tracked times on the 100s and 50s 1:10, :12, :11, :09 and 34 33 33 32

Finished up with about 10 starts from the blocks.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just this morning is the first time I could get up out of bed without excruciating pain - my leg is healing. I think I'm still a good two weeks before I can get back in the water. I'm sure if I showed up, they'd take one look and not let me in the pool anyway.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks painful. I wish a speedy recovery.

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mon swim

1300 w/up
12x100 on 1:25 (1:19,20,20,20,20,20,20,20,19,19,19,19)
4x300 pull w/paddles on 4:30 easy (4:19,4:18,4:20,4:18)
200 easy

3900 SCM

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit steve, that looks bad. Good thing this is not civil war times, they would be sharpening the saws and blades. Speedy recovery there buddy, maybe i will get to catch up with some running and biking now..(-;

Today started really lethargic, but ended ok;

15x100swim@1;30- 1;26 to 1;16
5x100IM kick@2;00- 1;50 to 1;44
3x500pull@6;45- 6;31/6;20/6;09
200IM kick/300pull
4000SCY in one hour
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
April Swimming should be cold, and appreciate being able to challenge yourself, I speak my thing, for the first time to learn skating, throwing 50 times, each time up strong¡£

Android 2.2 Freescale 9.7''aPad IMX515 ARM Cortex A8 MID with WiFi Camera Support Flash Tablet

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yuck. Feel better.

run: 6 mi
swim: 3200 yds
Main set
5 x [3 x 100]
intervals 1:50, 1:45, 1:40, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25
2 x 100 on 1:20
I was sore from yesterday.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
500 swim
10x50 kick@1:10 (:56-:50)

4x100@1:40 ~1:22
8x50@1:00 ~:38
3x100@1:40 ~1:24
6x50@1:00 ~:39
2x100@1:40 ~1:23
4x50@1:00 ~:38
100 (1:18)
2x50 easy mix

3000scy
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [coco987] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?

I learned to skate at 3-4 so I have no memory. Now skate skiing... learned that 10 (1987). I kicked myself in the forehead. As for cold swimming I swim indoors. OW is not an option right now. Maybe in 5-6 weeks & then it will still be cold by St standards.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next