Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet_wtr wrote:
//My favorite phrase right now is "sick taper" (from Monty's post).
I love just thinking about a sick taper.
When are you arriving at Greensboro? Thursday afternoon for me. //

My taper was so sick today... 700m and cake and chocolate milk waiting for me at the end of it! My swim buddies are the best ;-)

Arriving Wed. night. It would be cool to somehow catch up. We're swimming some of the same events. I'm doing 50/100 Fly, 50/100 Brst, 100 Fr & 100IM and relays.

I have this photo of you from your profile...

so I don't think I will have any problem finding you at the meet. However, just in case, it might be a good idea for you to email me some contact info. Everyone else I know is arriving Wednesday. I'm the only one going over Thursday I think.

Edit: Evidently I didn't know how to put the photo in at first.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 23, 12 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday morning swim in a 100ft pool

1300 w/up
15x66.6 yards on 55. I tried to go on 50 but only made 1. averaged 50s for the set
2x400 pull cruise on 5:45
200 easy

3300 SCY

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday afternoon:
First swim class for my daughter, once she was in the water and comfortable with the teacher, I went for a short swim of my own:
200w/u (3:07)
4x50 on 1:00 (38.9, 38.5, 38.8, 40.1)
100 (1:34)

500scy

This morning:

300 w/u (4:52)
50bs (1:02)
50k (1:14, down from 1:22 last week!)
500 (8:25)
50k (1:15)
4x50 on 1:00 (41.5, 41.7, 42.8, 42.8)
50br

1150scy

I'm surprised by the difference in my 4x50s. I was definitely more rested for the first set on Sunday, but I felt I gave it as much of an effort this morning... Oh well! On the other hand my kicking times have improved :-)
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [nsallembien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 swim
200 kick
100 easy
4x50 @55 tempo

2x
4x300@ 4:00 av pace 1:12-13
50 easy

300 mix

3500 SCM

(sunday)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tues. April 24

8 mi run, 3300 yd swim:

4 x [200s + 50k] w/u 10 x 100 on 1:25 7 x 150 on 2:05 250 c/d

felt good to be back in the water

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
500 (8:35)
550 (stopped counting... 9:30)
3x100 on 1:50 (1:34,1:34,1:34)

1450scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should put this on the board in your class and ask the students if any of them can identify the particular math notation. You know... what is the notation used for? What does it mean? What are other ways to write the equivalent terms? It would be interesting to see the answers.

" 4 x [200s + 50k] w/u 10 x 100 on 1:25 7 x 150 on 2:05 250 c/d
"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome photo, sweet_wrt!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH let's catch up... I will send you a message w/ info. New suit = eyes might pop out of my head. Not sure I'll even need goggles if that happens, you might have trouble recognizing me. Haha

Thanks Tiger about the photo... Got lucky with that one :)

Last splash around today before Greensboro. Nice splashing around by myself before the chaos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to the people racing Nationals!
LOL about the 'equation' Let us know the results:)

Continued my tour of the island's pools- figured out today I've swam in 8 different pools with today hitting a new-to-me SCM pool by the Pearl Harbor historic sites. It's nicer than Hickam's SCM pool that seems super shallow at one end. I'll probably hit 2 more next month while I decide which master's team I want to swim with while on service at the downtown children's hospital. My favorite pool is VMAC at CORP as it's easily a national class pool and possibly world class. LCM from Feb to Aug, consistent deep depth, designed to be a fast pool. Wasted on me but at a 5 min drive or 20 min walk from house, I'll take advantage. I do swim open water too but it's easier to get a planned workout done in the pool.

2600 SCM
200 w/u
4X200 :30
5X150 :20
50 easy
6X100 :15
200 c/d
last 50 of each main set swim was 'sprint' or more accurately 'hard'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my psych sheets for provincials this weekend. Considering that i don't really know how i'm gonna swim yet, i am nervous. Oddly, the event i feel the least confident on is the one that used to be one of my strongest, the 200 free. Swimming tomorrow morning shold give me an idea.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt crappy this morning. Felt decent during WU, but like a bug on its back during MS. Arms tired from lifting yesterday as well...only recently started again after a few years off.

200 swim
200 kick
200 dr
4x75 fl/bk/br
4x75 paddles
2x50 fast/easy

8x50
4x100
2x200
4x100
8x50
All easy to steady @1:40 base, some extra rest thrown in between sets.

100 br/bk

3400scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
main sets

8 x 50 on on 1:00 free
2x(4x50 IM order - fly 3r, 3l, remainder full).
200IM broken to 25s.

total: 2300 scm

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 x 1 mi
6:31, 6:30, 6:25
quarter recoveries
8.3 mi on the day.

1600 yds easy swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another stint of travel, so hadn't been in the water in almost a week. Nice to be back in the pool...

WU: 600, 12x50 pull, 200 kwf
Drills: 12x25 sc/br drill
Main: 8x100 pace @1:35, 300 bk, 8x100 faster pace @1:35
CD: 200 pull, 50 scull
3850 scy
First set of 8 100's were all 1:15, second were all 1:12.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, good luck to all with meets this weekend, keep us tuned on to your performances..

Had a little break in this weeks camp, so talked 3 others to go to the pool for 1st swim since sat. Three different speed folks, so i came up with a tough main set, for me at least. One guy did 200's, two did 250's and i did 300's pull on a 3;45 interval, toughest set in quite awhile for me..

5x100swim@1;30- 1;22 to 1;15
5x100 back, breast @1;45
5x300pull@3;45- 3;30/3;33/3;34/3;33/3;30
200IM kick
5x100IM@1;40- 1;21/20/20/19/18
200IM kick
200 doing 13 strokes per lenght- 2;43
100SD
3700SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heading out to Palo Alto for a few days tomorrow, had a good day of training before I leave.
1 hr strength training this morning

7k in the pool this afternoon.
MS:
5x200 on 2:10
100 easy
5x150 on 1:40
100 easy
5x100 on 1:05
100 easy
5x50 on :35
100 easy

5 mile run

It's interesting to read about your guys' forms of taper, definitely different from what I would do but I wish you guys the best of luck at your upcoming meets!

Stanford University Cardinal
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [TheWaterIsOpen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Splashed around the Greensboro competition pool early before the 1000. I already know my heats and lanes so I rocked out some walls in my lane for tomorrow :) This place is insanity in a swimmers dream kind of way. Two warmup pools anytime and two competition pools (one for odd heats and one for even heats) running 10 lanes each. My favorite thing so far is a tie between the Speedo cap and goggles vending machine and around the clock access to massage therapists. Off to a great start already. I heard usms.org will be streaming the meet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweet_wtr wrote:
Splashed around the Greensboro competition pool early before the 1000. I already know my heats and lanes so I rocked out some walls in my lane for tomorrow :) This place is insanity in a swimmers dream kind of way. Two warmup pools anytime and two competition pools (one for odd heats and one for even heats) running 10 lanes each. My favorite thing so far is a tie between the Speedo cap and goggles vending machine and around the clock access to massage therapists. Off to a great start already. I heard usms.org will be streaming the meet.

Sounds really cool. Good luck on your events. My usual lane mate at masters practices just headed down herself. She was trying out a new high tech suit at yesterdays practice. Fortunately it looks like you and her are in different events and different AGs when I looked stuff up on the website, so I can in good faith cheer for both of you! Please send updates about your races (videos?).
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4x100 on 1:50 (1:37;1:35;1:36;1:37)
3x200 (3:07;3:16;3:24) - major fade there...
3x100 (1:39;1:36;1:37)

1300scy
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [nsallembien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 days out from HIM, so loosening up the intervals, doing some race specific things:

500 warm up (300 easy, 4x50 drill)

5x100 strong on 1:45 (1:08-1:09) -- effort of first ~200m of race
1000 aerobic, focus on technique and maintain stroke count/rate - 12:55 + 1min rest
5x100 strong on 1:45 (1:09) -- finish strong, but much harder than would be in a HIM race

4x50 drill/warm down

2700scm

-----
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice set monty, I like the 5x300 pull on 3:45. Gotta try that myself sometime, I think it would be a stretch, but maybe close...

400, 200 kwf, 100 drill
2x { 10x25 sprint@:30, 100 ez, 10x50 sprint@:45, 100 ez, 10x25 sprint@:25 }
2x200 @2:40
100 kwf
3700 scy

This masters coach seems to like the idea of "sprint", but with so little rest, I find it ends up just being a go as hard as you can set, but I'm not really sprinting.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
suffered a stress fracture to the foot a couple weeks ago and I am biking and swimming. However, I have been doing some kick sets to try and work the legs more as to lose as little running speed/fitness over my rehab. I had planned to do 1 long kick set of about an hour (like a long run), a 30 minute kick set with short, really fast kicking (like speed work), and 1 hard, sustained kick set (like a tempo/threshold run).

I am looking for advice as to (1) whether this is a good idea since I am an experienced swimmer and (2) what workouts would be good for each of these types of workouts. Like I said, I am just trying to maintain my run fitness and speed as best as possible. Come on ex-swimmers...what's the hardest kick sets out there? Lay it on me!
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [chrishutch84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert, but I'd be dubious that kick sets would help maintain run fitness.
Have you considered aqua-jogging instead? That seems to have an ok reputation for maintaining run fitness while injured.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [chrishutch84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can give you my take as it has related to me, yes kick sets will help offset any running loses. Right now for instance i have only been running on 3 mile run every 7 or 8 days for the past couple months. It is like basically starting over each time, and i just run a moderate HR and the pace always seems to be the same each time. Since april 1st i started doing a lot more really hard kick sets,and after 3 weeks of that, i dropped almost a minute a mile off my once a week run times. There is nothing else to attribute it to, as i have consistantly just been riding once a week too. And on top of that, my average speed on the bike improved too from the kicking.

Now i'm not sure if your LSD kick sets will work or not. FOr me it was doing some really blasting sets of about 1k, usually broken into 100's and 200's. ANd at the end of workouts when i'm toast, i would throw in a 400 kick hard again just to make sure i was cooked. Did a lot of fly kick too, which definately helped my core, which i neglect. Felt like i was doing mega sit up sets for a week or two, then adapted to it..

I know when Jordan was recovering from his accident, all he could do was kick, and he did some amazing sets. Once healed, he came back very quickly on the bike and run, pretty sure it was all that kicking that speed up the time.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next