1 shoulder surgery to repair slap tear and rotator cuff tear
Hammer toe resection
Broken clavicle
level 2 separated shoulder
ITB right leg
12 staples
350 stitches so far
Kidney stone

1 upcoming shoulder surgery to repair other shoulder for another Slap tear, rotator cuff tear and mumford procedure.

This has all been in the past 10 years since Ironman Wisconsin 2007

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Last edited by: ttx_tri: Dec 17, 17 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does having my leg up as I type this two days post-op from arthroscopic knee surgery for torn medial & lateral meniscus count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broke right clavicle at New Orleans 70.3 (tri);
Right tibial stress fracture (karate);
Left rotator cuff repair (swimming);
Broken left arm (basketball);
Pneumonia (diagnosed day after local tri - in bed for 2 weeks)

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was a pretty good one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Torn adductor - surgery
Right sportsman hernia - surgery
Left sportsman hernia - surgery
Grade 4 dislocated ac joint - surgery x 2 screw and anchor
6 x broken fingers
Fractured cheekbone and eye socket - surgery, metal plate
3 x broken nose, 1 x surgery

All from rugby and running
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
This was a pretty good one.

Jaysus!
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concussion x3 - two subdural hematoma
Broken rib x2
Broken fingers/toes x? Too many
Umbilical hernia
Right knee meniscus tear
Right knee cist removal
Marble sized cist removed from back
Severe left knee sprain
Partial ligaments tear left wrist
Full thickness ligament tear left thumb
Severe strain to numerous ligaments in right hand (go cart landed on my hand)
Morton neuroma left foot
Bilateral plantar faciitis complex with tarsal tunnel syndrome (10 year recovery)
Angle grinder to face resulting in major reconstruction surgery
Broken tail bone x3
Severe right ankle sprain
Sliced right wrist open when beer glass shattered underneath it. Exposed ligaments in wrist but didn't damage any.

Severe abdominal and groin strain (current)
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn people; hope everyone is enjoying healthier times. I really lamented my injuries last year (first real problematic season) but I'm getting some perspective.

Torn left meniscus
3x conussion
1x subdural hematoma
Right foot stress fracture
Tear in my vestibular system affecting my balance for a few months
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
36 year in triathlon, tons of miles and races - including 18 IM - only injuries achalies tendonitus

did break my foot playing tennis, but that was a freak accident

now am i sore as F - ya much of the time ;]

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just the stuff since I turned 18 that sent me to the hospital:

1980: shattered my right wrist and forearm, had a TWA to replace it. I continued to grow for another 6 years, as a result my right forearm is 3/4" shorter than my left (no, my aerobars are not incorrectly adjusted!)

1992: crashed in a crit and lost nearly half of the skin on my left leg, hospitalized for several weeks and nearly lost it due to infection (still have issues from that today)

1994: hit by a car on a training ride, resulting in chronic back issues

2001-2002: chronic plantar fasciitis that refused to go away despite every treatment short of surgery

2002: broken right ankle

2003: broken left foot (dancer's fracture)

2005: fell off a small cliff, basically destroyed my left leg: ruptured Achilles, O'Donoghue triad (torn ACL, MCL and meniscus), fractured patella, broken ankle, various muscle tears, nerve damage, plus several compressed or ruptured discs (lost 1" in height from that accident). After years of PT, I still have very limited range of motion in my knee and ankle, and cannot sense where my left foot is.

2005-2017: chronic infections in my left leg that often have me hospitalized, latest was October

2015: Black widow bite on left foot. Raced 3 days later, despite the pain had by far my best race result since 2001 (is spider venom a PED?)

2017: Currently recovering from cardiac ablation to correct persistent A-fib

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: Dec 18, 17 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my injuries are from sports.

Fell off the monkeys bars when I was in the first grade and had several stitches in my head.
Concussion at a high school basketball camp at WKU over 40 years ago.
Doing the annual school fitness test in Jr. High I got a bad infection from the person holding my legs down while doing my setups and I got a bad infection that required surgery.
Knee surgery between HS and College (basketball)
SI (sacroiliac) Fusion (twice, the first one didn't take) and I had doctors to tell me I would never run again. I have set all of my PR's since and finished Kona 7 times and will be going back in 2018. This was by far the biggest recovery of any injuries I have ever had.
Foot join surgery (calcaneocuboid joint, injury)
Torn calf muscle
Planar fasciitis
Broken toe two days before Kona and foot swelled like a balloon. Put in a cast and watched the race on the sideline.
Complete hamstring reattachment in 2015 (very painful and thought my race days were over but I qualified for Kona 2018 at Ironman Louisville this year). Again doctors told me that I would never run again except for the doctor I finally picked to do my surgery.
Bone on bone L4/L5 and did stem cell therapy in 2016 and I have been pain free since.
Major knee pain in 2018 after a bike accident, knee therapy, (MRI shows no cartilage and the trauma caused inflammation that just won't go away)
Gall Bladder, C-Section, Eye and hand surgery (not sports related)
Melanoma in my neck and on the back of my leg (this I am sure is from all the exposure to sun from our sport; yes I wear sunscreen).
I have had one small heat stroke and since several heat exhaustions (I live in Dallas and train hard)

This is only the second time I have ever posted and Wow, I feel old after listing all of these and sure I missed a few. I will be at Kona if all goes well in 2018; after being told in 1998 that I would never run again I have accomplished my greatest athletic dreams. I am a strong believer we know our bodies and what we can and can't do. I am slower, older and frustrated at being an aging athlete but I love what I do and want to do it as long as I can. I run less, swim more and ride enough and still can be competitive. I am blessed....
Last edited by: dirby: Dec 18, 17 2:31
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big one: 2007 hit by truck while running (actually walking across a driveway). Open/compound Tib Fib fracture, three surgeries, 16 weeks non weight bearing, a full year of rehab + bursitis in shoulder from trying to manage a 20,000 sq ft restaurant and event facility on crutches... Ortho Doc: "When I saw your leg I didn't know what to do with it". (Answer 16 screws and 2 plates).

Busted ribs (fell during duathlon in Tuscon) which apparently caused a blood clot in kidney during a 50 mile MTB race a few weeks later. Overnight in hospital pumped full of fluid until it busted out.
Sprained ankle - numerous
Hamstring- strain/tear numerous times
Disc #4 finally resolved with 2 nerve root injections,
One knee surgery
variety of overuse injuries to knees, ankles, feet
do black toenails from hilly trail 50K count? Lost a few, what's left are grotesque looking.
Variety of smashed bruised knees from trail running ("if there's no blood it wasn't a good race").
That's the first 40 years...

don't just do something..... sit there
Last edited by: sp in az: Dec 17, 17 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [dirby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROFL! Love this topic.

"Knee injury" which turned out to be IT band, which turned out to be weak glutes. The usual. Since corrected.

Real knee injury (torn meniscus) because I switched bike shoe brands and didn't get a bike re-fit. Vastly different knee tracking. Easily detectable/preventable with what I know today, but back then I was a dumbass.

Plantar fasciitis lasting 6 months!

Mild Achilles niggling that didn't stop me from running but did reduce my weekly mileage by half for an entire season.

Bike crash. Clavicle and bunch of ribs.

Plantar fasciitis in the other foot. This one lasted only a couple of months.

Mild sports hernia going on for 6 years. No indication on ultrasound. It just hurts on and off. It hurts right now. Does not stop me from doing anything, but is annoying as hell.

Severe Achilles that left me limping while walking and unable to run for a month, and then run only 20-30 minutes at a time. Took 3 months to go away.

And the current injuries:

Swollen or inflamed or persistent arthritis or infected (???) big toe joint. No official diagnosis. Medical professionals don't know what this is.

Soft tissue soreness on that same foot, just behind the toes, across the entire foot from ball of foot to little toe. Flares up on long runs, especially if it's cold out and my feet are cold. Got to see someone for this pretty soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far this a pretty interesting thread..here's my input.

>Summer 1985 (last yr in college) diagnosed with Type 1, insulin dependent diabetes. Did the syringe/pen/pump routine for 20 years. Got in triathlons in the early 90's.

>1993, diagnosed with brachial plexus in the right back/shoulder/arm. Initially the Docs thought it was a herniated disc, but after a few days of no improvement, they re-examined & discovered it was brac plex.

>1998 was inaccurately diagnosed with macular degeneration. Laser surgery was to correct it. Re-diagnosed and it wasn't mac deg. Currently legally blind in my right eye.

>2005, pancreas only transplant...no longer diabetic. I have two pancreas' in my gut now. So far the "new" one is working well. Haven't had an insulin shot in +12 years.

>Summer 2017, bad bike crash. Broken clavicle, twisted radius bone, concussion and split my humerus. 11 screws and a plate in the left shoulder. They had to cut thru my rotator cuff to get the plate in there. Funny thing is that it doesn't hurt when I swim, only when I run.

Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy fuck. I don't see how the ball joint of your humerous is still structurally sound with all those screws!

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
In 2000 I had a severe bout of pneumonia. Was off work for 3 weeks (almost a whole week barely moving from a bed), and I was told would leave some permanent scaring on my lungs, would diminish my absolute overall lung capacity, and that I might be susceptible to exercise induced asthma.

- It was confirmed a number of years ago via MRI, that I have a herniated disc (L4-L5) - the classic one and a bulge in the disc above that one. So lower back is wonky to. Not a candidate for surgery yet. For what I do, I can keep it in check by lifestyle choices, core strength and not doing anything really stupid! I'm NOT helping you move! :)

also mostly OK, still moving so it can't be too bad.

interesting on the pneumonia, I had the same thing in 2005-6 winter, bad pneumonia followed by pleurisy. Nobody told me about the consequences but all of that happened - lung capacity down, EIA started in summer 2006, pulmonary shunt of some kind. The exercise induced asthma was under control with albuterol aka salbutamol until this year, when it stopped working. Now have plain old asthma as well and don't even need to exercise to get it. The EIA is incapacitating these days, both run and swim, keeps me at what used to be easy aerobic pace.

herniated L5-s1 disk since early 2000s at least, core exercises keep it at a dull ache most of the time.

neuromas in both feet, mostly dormant now, controlled with inserts when necessary.

insertional achilles tendinitis L foot since 2009 or so, mostly controlled with eccentric heel drops.

sciatica/piriformis since 2005, flared up this year. In desperation tried the Sacro Wedgy which has actually worked, not clear if it was that or the daily foam rolling though.

repeatedly torn R calf muscle. The latest occurrence I suspect was a side effect of the sciatica flare-up, 3 months off running and daily foam rolling seems to have placated it for the moment.

L shoulder impingement controlled with regular scapular stabilizer exercises etc

broken ribs 2015

vitreous detachments in both eyes since 2013 unresolved, without glasses I'm legally blind..

hemicrania continua, controlled with indomethacin but that has side effects so live with it most days

there are a lot more traumatic injuries and surgeries in this thread than I expected, even given bike crashes.
Also way fewer overuse, than expected of endurance athletes..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom - You are back!

Perhaps you never "left", and you post more intermittently and I've just missed a few more recent ones of your's.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought the same at first. Then I looked at the date of the original post. 2004 :>

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ruptured achilles
Stress fractures - femur, sacroilliac, metatarsals
Cracked sternum
Broken clavicle and scapula in the same crash
Fractured skull including concussion
Completely shot knees - both sans cartilage, with a torn meniscus in one.

Now just bike racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well right now i've got a sore write becuase of a collision during my hockey game last week. direct impact and i just wanted to make sure my hands/stick were down to not hurt anyone or get called for a penalty. braced myself, just got my wrist wrenched up. will see how it feels when i swim later.

but i've had my fair share of things in the past.

concussions (HS Football, screwing around wiht friends)
broken ribs (hockey)
colorectal cancer, which is now hopefully a thing of the past but it cost me part of my colon and now have to live with a colostomy. factor that into your triathlon training and racing prep!!!
playing baseball always had a season where i took a ground ball in the nuts. and yes i wore a cup
lost a tooth to hockey - croscheck to the face. guy paid for it on the next faceoff :)
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day after running a fast 1/2 marathon for my last race of the year....

Bang...stupid human trick at home = 3 broken ribs = enforced downtime from training.

1 week in and I'm stir crazy. Gonna put my bike on the trainer tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be a little light compared to the some of the horror stories here! It's an interesting exercise to inventory all the injuries of the years. Mine in rough chronological order:

Pulled a knife off the counter when I was 3, it stuck in the back of my hand and I still have the scar (I'm 51 now)...this would be the first of many, many cuts
My mom closed my left index finger in a door...still have trigger finger
Lit a whole matchbook at once and burned 3 fingers
Dove into the shallow end of a concrete pool when I was 6 (at the direction of an older cousin) and got a concussion
Sliced open the back of my left hand while carving a Pinewood Derby car
Stepped on a nail, went all the way through my foot and out top of my shoe
Fell out of a tree in the front yard onto the side walk, concussion number 2
Fell through the ice playing hockey and scraped about 8 inches of flesh off my right shin
Skiing, crashed into a fence, concussion number 3
Running high hurdles during HS, I tripped, stuck my lead foot between the hurdle slats and slid...on the cinder track. Think road rash but with lots of extra gravel bits stuck in your skin
Crashed on my bike and slid on pavement, more road rash
Hit my head on a beam during work, concussion number 4
Hyper extended my right knee in and backwards (a friend crashed into me while playing volleyball). Maybe nothing torn (not sure because the Navy doc didn't even bother with an Xray) but still ends up swelling so big that Navy bell bottoms barely fit over it
Crashed on my mountain bike, ass over tea kettle style, the bar end hit my calf hard enough I had a bruise from my heel to my ass. I know the rules said no bruises but this required 8 weeks of PT
Broken middle finger tip, caused by elliptical machine while repairing it. I have been really lucky...this is my only broken bone
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pleurisy sucks ass!. Took mine forever to go away. Have some scaring that can cause some discomfort but got lucky otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 concussions
1 brain tumor
1 knee surgery to repair ACL and meniscus tear
right shoulder surgery to repair slap tear and rotator cuff tear
Hammer toe resection
Broken clavicle
level 2 separated shoulder
ITB right leg
12 staples
350 stitches so far
Kidney stone

New update:
left shoulder repair, Slap tear, labrum tear and bicep tenotomy (clip bicep tendon)

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will probably mess up the bone names but lets see,

broken right collarbone/clavicle
broken left collarbone/clavicle
broken left scaphoid/wrist, screw put in place but didnt quite do the trick
broken right tibia with full length rod put in just below the knee cap
mildly fractured face bone (no idea the name) ended up with 7 staples and 32 stitches down my forehead and face
broken right radius with a plate and screws
broken pelvis (split in 2 right down the middle) plates screws etc
and I think i broke my pinky at some point because it doesnt go straight anymore

So a grand total of like 18-20 pieces of metal I think, all from different incidents mostly
probably some concussions, stitches and other stuff but they don't really register on the scale anymore!
Quote Reply

Prev Next