Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Onyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK here we go,

-dislocation of left shoulder requiring surgery, the surgeon used a piece of my clavicle as a bone block to kinda fix it sort of.

-dislocation of the right shoulder requiring surgery, the surgeon used staples and screws to fix this one kinda a little.

-dislocation of the right pinky finger requiring surgery, the surgeon put a little teenie piece of plastic in there and the cool thing was I got to watch it. They used a nerve block for the anasthetic. On a bad note, I didn't know that your could be strangled in the night by your own arm. You can.

-broken nose, no surgery on this one yet, but if you ever meet me your gonna say to yourself "that is one big ugly nose"

-stress fracture left foot, it kept healing and I kept breaking it again. Finally had to take 4 months off running.

-bloodclot in groin, got hit by car, handlebars tried to make me a eunich. Still have scar tissue so I can't squat down without major pain.

-torn trapezius muscle, took 2 months to finally heal. Felt like frankenstein with my head bolted to my 2 bad shoulders.

That's all so far ..................

-am going back to the surgeon for left shoulder on the 20th, have ground the repair into rubble from my pathetic attempts to swim with speed and grace.

------------------------------------------------------------

...If wishes were fishes we would all cast nets.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whoa, you guys are a trainwreck.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only the most recent. I've been dealing with Atrial Fibrillation for a number of years but the last 12 months it has been coming on more and more frequently. It was even a factor in my last 3 tris of the year and not being too bright I kept going(even won AG/50-54 in one). So I decided to get it fixed. The procedure is to run a catheter up through a vein in your(my) groin, into the right atrium,across to the left atrium, and after extensive electrical testing, they fry a little circle around the entrance of the pulmonary veins with RF at the catheter tip. So 10 days with no exercise and 30 days to full tilt workouts. So far, no funny beats (and they're supposed to occur up to 3 months post ablation). Doing my second (easy) ride this weekend. 2005 should be a good year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh, I feel like I don't try hard enough. I played Water Polo, have run Marathons, raced in Tris. The only major incident was two years ago at the AFC Half-Marathon in San Diego. At mile 6, I doubled over in big pain. Had to be rushed to the Hospital for an emergency appendectomy. It had burst on the run. Doctor said there was quite a mess inside me to clean up. Pity, too, because, at that point I was on a sub 6:30 pace. Wouldn't have been able to hold it though. Probably would have ended up around 1:35.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Hoagy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we're talking lifetime list, then from head to toes:

Nose: 7 times (6 if you count 2 in a 5 day span as 1)

Cheekbone: Once

Around 50 cranial stitches

Collarbone: Once

Dislocated Shoulder: Once

Wrists: Right once (140 stitches), Left twice

Hands: All fingers, both thumbs, numerous times

Ribs: 3 times on the right, 2 on the left

Spine: 2 prolapsed discs

Legs: 2 knee surgeries on the right knee

Ankle: Torn achilles, and pretty much destroyed everything else in the Right ankle

Feet: 3 toes.

So far.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear to god this is the most painful thread I have ever witnessed.

I'm going to go pass out now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just realized I am a certifiable pansy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pre triathlon:

Broken bones = ankle, wrist, thumb
Surgery = achilles, mcl on right knee, meniscus on both knees, lower bankart on right shoulder

Since doing tri's (3 years) I've cracked 5 ribs in two incidents, stress fracture in my right foot, twisted my pelvis in a bike wreck, diagnosed with 2 herniated disks, and currently treating a nerve impingement that's effeting my left leg.

At least I know I'm not alone.

scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peroneal tendonitis....worst injury I've ever had. Still not completely healed one year later.
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [Onyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is an injury I caused from triathlon training:

In 1989 I lived in Canada and was riding my bike on a trainer in the basement. We had a sofa beside the trainer. My two year old daughter was bouncing on the sofa. Anyone with kids knows the instinctive thing to say is "stop bouncing, you are going to hurt youself." Well, I did not say that and kept on cycling. I took my eyes of my daughter for a split second and all of a sudden my pedals lock and the wheel stops. Somehow my daughter bounced off the sofa and managed to get her tiny little leg through the pedals of my rear wheel.. The impact snapped her leg in two. Man, did she cry. As naive parents, we were not sure if the leg was broken and actually waited about 12 hours before we went to the ER. Stupid, stupid, stupid....
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [TheBorg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to win this one.

Broke every bone in my left pinky, at that time I also broke my left collar bone, C1, C2, right and left scaphoid and right arm. Left from that is a non functional left pinky (no feeling, no mobility) and a right scaphoid with vascular necrosis that is still "broken" and always will be.

Broke right scaphoid two other times.

Left arm and right arm - at the same time

Skull Fracture

C5 and collar bone

put a Dura Ace STI lever THROUGH my right calf in a crash, that got infected and I almost lost my right leg. 6 months in a wheel chair...end of USCF life.

More stitches than I can even count

Lost my front teeth (they were put back in :)

Hit by no less than 6 cars
  • 92 year old man going the wrong way down a one way
  • rich woman (ever hear of English Mark Darts? her husband owns the company Arachnid) - well she hit me and I went through her windshield and landed in her back seat)
  • Hit by drunk guy - in the parking lot of a hospital...broke my bike and burnt the hell out of my leg under his car (I was on the side walk not moving)
  • Hit by woman who was trying to avoid a squirrel
  • Hit by mirror of truck, went off the road and hit a mail box

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, this is supposed to be about injuries to YOURSELF!! I had a bad feeling when I read "daughter".. OUCH!

I feel like a wimp after reading some of the injuries experienced by others, but here's my list:

Concussion (Bike - dumb Ghostman stunt and forgot to hold onto the bar as my bike zoomed out from under me)

Broken Left Arm - Fell of the monkey bars

Broken Left Collarbone - Skiing

Broken Right Collarbone - Mountain biking

Dislocated Left Pinky - Basketball

Dislocated Right Pinky - Got "Doored" on my road bike

Blown out ACL/Meniscous - Lacrosse

Broken Left Arm - Lacrosse

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, here's mine:
  • Broken Nose (Soccer)
  • Broken Wrist (Lacrosse)
  • Broken Wrist (Cause I'm an idiot)
  • Broken Ankle (Turns out I can't fly)
  • Broken Rib (Nerf basketball, doorknob, very weird)
  • 8 Fingers and toes, various reasons (No thumb though!!)
  • Separated left shoulder, lost count long ago
  • Concussions (3 that I know of, um remember, what was the question?)
  • 3 Shattered teeth, 9 chin stitches (Passed out while serving mass as an altar boy, was standing, landed chin first on a hardwood floor. Thankfully the double baptism just concluded. Praise the Lord!)
  • More stitches than I can count, feet, hands, head...
  • A handful of surguries, shoulder, appendix, and some other minor ones.

Ohh, I've got to add a favorite. It's minor, but the way it happened makes it good. As a kid I was walking into a Basketball Gym. As I reached for the door to open it, someone from the inside pushed the door open pretty hard. Well, my foot went under the door, but it managed to catch hold of the toenail on my big toe and rip it right off. THAT will wake you up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, since this apparently is a Life List (why do I feel like we're playing out the "scar scene" from Jaws? haha!) Top to bottom:

3 concussions (one when I was like 5 yrs old, fell off the ladder on the high dive)

1 stitch in eye (age 2 - the start of my climbing career)

Knocked out front teeth. Twice. Big ol' scar on chin too from the second time.

Severed neck muscle, nicked the artery. Bike crash (long story short, I rode into a street sign, which tried to decapitate me. Don't ask...) Due to that, my head flopped around, I felt like a human Pez dispenser.

Dislocated shoulder - from above accident

3 broken bones in right hand - Mom thought I was 'exaggerating' as to how much it hurt, so we didn't go to the doctor for a few days.

2 broken right wrists (one in HS gym, see lost teeth, one mtb'ing)

1 broken left wrist - fell 20+ feet Trad lead climbing, hit the deck. Ouch. Reconstructive surgery, I now have a piece of a dead guy in there ("cadaver bone"), since I powdered part of the bone that used to be there.

1 torn tendon in right ring finger - playing Thanksgiving flag football. permanent 15 degree bend in end of finger at last knuckle

1 nice scar in left index finger - this is what happens when an 8yr old uses his Christmas $ to buy a Buck knife for himself.

1 torn left medial meniscus, got it 'scoped last Nov. good to go now

1 torn right medial meniscus - currently in "work-around mode"

1 broken ankle - did you know that with a tight enough ski boot and enough tequila, that you can ski with a broken ankle? Now you know.

Too many sprained ankles and thumbs to count, I've got scars I can't even remember where they came from....

"He was just an Exciteable Boy"

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Thread:

Shattered all four of my front upper teeth, the front two twice.

Tore my large muscle that sits over the rotator cuff in half (I think sub scapulus sp.) and wrestled on it for a year before needing a massive surgery. They took 8" of tendon out of my right calve to shoestring the muscles back together. Still only 65-70 percent range of motion but they said I'd never be able to play sports again and I can. High school students don't need cortisone!!!

Dis-located multiple fingers.

Torn left rotator cuff that hurts but hasn't required anything more that PT.

The dreaded ITB........both legs.

Pendicitis (sp.)

I think that's about it. Amazing I made it through being a kid, in retrospect.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Re: The human junkyard: List your injuries here. [MtTamRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys think you're so tough, but have you ever seriously sprained an ankle while playing golf? How about dislocating your patella playing softball?

I didn't tihnk so ;)

-broke nose 7 times (5'8" basketball player trying to rebound)

-double heria repair

-concussion and shoulder repair (while road racing motorcycles on track)

-repair knee (arthroscopic)

-shoulder yet again, and again

-two heart valves replaced

-enough stiches to make a good sized quilt

-stress fractures

-torn hip muscle (still working on this one)

Lou Battaglia

Why didn't I retire last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fractured clavicle 3x and two front teeth knocked out -lacrosse

3rd degree AC seperation- dog vs bike incident
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fractured orbital bone and cheek bone(close encounter with a baseball)

broken wrist

multiple fractures to left hand(another baseball injury)

broken foot(twice)

tonsilectomy

majorly sick as a child(the hospital issued me a credit card with a number that they could punch in to save time on checking me in)

at one point my dad left my hospital room because i had stopped breathing and he thought i was dead

chicken pox

pulled a scalding hot cup of coffee off a table and onto myself as a toddler resulting in fairly nasty burns over most of my body

pock marked shins from playing soccer as a kid without shin guards(there were times that i could push around what felt like a bone chip under the surface of my skin during soccer season).

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to preface this by saying that it is great to have your two best friends be doctors. One is a plastic surgeon and the other is a dentist… it sure make the repairs more fun.

Cycling
Torn rotator cuff in both shoulders - this makes swimming enjoyable
Knocked out both front teeth

Boating
Cut off my middle finger in a trailer hitch
Winch handle to the forehead all the way down to my scull - you should never see your own scull.

Water Skiing
Broken arm when I skied into a dock

Car Accident
Hit by a drunk and split my face open. The doctor said it looked like a grapefruit that was thrown against a wall. All I know is that I could see out of my right eye with my eyelid closed. More stitches than anyone wanted to try and count.

Working Around the House
2 months ago I ruptured my patellar tendon. I'm still hoping to avoid surgery.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the winner is

ACL Reconstruction r knee

Cartilage removal r knee x2

10 broken noses yes at least 10 im being conservative

broken left foot

broken thumb

broken l small finger 3 times

broken r index finger

17 stitches in top lip

6 stitches in leg

split webbing in fingers

3 broken ribs

Operation to repair tendonitis and bursitis in L knee

Torn quadracep muscle

plantar fasciatis

Bulged disc in lower back

8 stiches in top of head

foreskin removal hhheeehheee!!!

I think thats about it hmmm and I have finished over 150 triathlons and 4 Ironmans inc Kona

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my nails one day.. Nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn!!! There are some pretty busted up people in the clan here. Makes me feel much better. Comparitively minor injuries on my end:

6/95 - Broken arm and pinched nerve in my back from about a 15 ft fall while fast roping out of a CH-46. The next guy in the stick that landed on top of me didn't feel too good either.

12/00 - Completely torn right ACL/MCL from soccer. Nice 10 month road to rehab and therapy after that. Used Paterllar tendon graft.

11/01 - Ten months later after long, hard work in physical therapy, I went and ruptured my left ACL/MCL completely in the same exact motion as the right knee IN THE FIRST GAME I PLAYED SINCE THE RIGHT ACL tear. Friends called me "Bad Luck Schlep Rock" after that for a while. But hey, at least my scars are now symmetrical and I no longer run/swim in circles from one leg overpowering the other.

Sprinting has been hard since these knee ligamnet injuries. Anyone else seem to think so?

09/04 - Meniscus repair, right knee.

Stay healthy and uninjured all!!

Regards,

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impaled myself on a picket fence after falling out of a tree. 400+ stitches in my left leg.

1 totally collapsed lung

1 torn meniscus (still torn after 10 years...)

two bad cases of turf toe

early stages of male pattern baldness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken bones in left forearm (don't know medical term for those bones) Snowboarding: went over huge jump, lost it in the air, came down on arm straight out, trying to "break" impact with hand. Knew they were busted right away, my arm had a very strange angle to it. Surgery with pins and plates on bones now.

And yes, I have actually set off the scanner at the airport, post 9/11

Mark
Quote Reply

Prev Next