Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on the SwimSmart Initiative and how it has diminished the Ironman:

I was completing the online registration for Ironman Canada 2016 when I was presented with two checkboxes I’d never seen in previous years:

“I understand that I will get the full 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the 2.4 mile swim regardless of what time I enter the water…”

“I understand that if I finish before the midnight cut-off but have a finishing time or more than 17 hours, I will be considered a DNF…”

Huh?

Upon further investigation, I learned that as of 2016, Ironman Canada, in Whistler, BC, was going to have a “self-seeding rolling swim start.” Athletes will line up on shore then enter the water in a continuous stream, passing over a timing mat to signal their individual start time.

WTF?

This change was part of Ironman’s “SwimSmart initiative,” with the goal of “improving athlete satisfaction and reducing anxiety during the swim portion of the race.” As part of this initiative, floats are also available so swimmers can stop and take a breather if needed.

Seriously?

Before I continue this rant, I should mention my previous Ironman experience. Prior to IMC 2016, I’ve finished three Ironman triathlons, all with mass, in-water swim starts. Ironman Canada 2010 was my first and was relatively stress-free. After the cannon went off, the large crowd was witness to the spectacle of close to 3000 pairs of arms suddenly thrashing in the water. I started at the back of the pack, floated in the shallows for thirty seconds and waiting for the crowd to thin out a bit. I knew I was losing time, but that was my choice.

The swim start at Ironman Cozumel in 2012 was, by comparison, a fiasco. The race organizers miscalculated the start time for the pros, and there wasn’t enough time for all us age-groupers to get from the beach onto the pier then into the water to the start line before the cannon went off. Most of us were still on the pier at 0700, and we jumped off like lemmings, trying not to land on each other, then swimming over/under each other to get clear, just to reach the start line. The ocean currents were so strong that day that some of the buoys marking the course got dragged. At the turn onto the final five-hundred-metre leg, the current was so strong we bunched up just trying to make headway, forcing us to dig deep and pull harder. The DNF rate was higher than average that year, and those of us lucky enough to make the swim cut-off had significantly longer swim times.

In 2013 at Ironman Canada, I was feeling strong that morning and decided to start the swim just behind the top age groupers, and positioning myself in the lake accordingly. What a slugfest that was. Two minutes in, I got clocked in the head so hard by a fellow competitor’s arm or leg that I couldn’t hear out of my right ear for several hours into the bike ride.

Back to Whistler 2016…

The time allotted for the swim warm-up was short, and because it was an on-shore rolling swim start, we had to get out of the lake before the pros started. There we all stood, lined up on the grass for about ten minutes, cooling off, our wetsuits quickly draining. When the cannon went off, the spectators and participants were not witness to the spectacle of several thousand pairs of arms suddenly thrashing in the water, just an orderly procession of wetsuit-clad people calmly walking into the lake. It was… boring.

I know that in triathlons, the swim is the event that raises the anxiety level in most participants and even prevents some would-be participants from entering. I get that. My anecdotes are probably typical examples of why Ironman feels justified in introducing the SwimSmart initiative. But I think the SwimStart is a terrible idea and is more about money than anything else — the less stressful the swim start is advertised to be, the more people will want to pay their money and enter.

Here’s another problem with the SwimStart initiative: not only is the spectacle of a mass swim start gone, but nearly every participant will also have a different start time. The thrill of the midnight countdown is diminished — can that guy struggling to cross the finish line one minute before midnight call himself an Ironman, or is he a DNF because he entered the water at 0658? Those two top age-groupers sprinting to the finish line and fighting for a Kona slot might not even have the same start time, so their battle may already have been decided. With the SwimSmart initiative in place, a participant having a really long day can now cross the finish line just before midnight, get her finisher’s medal and shirt/hat and still be a DNF once the timing results are recorded.

The mystique and challenge of the Ironman race is, in my opinion, being diminished — watered down — by these and other changes. In Cozumel 2012, the swim times were much higher and the DNF rate slightly higher than average. In 2013, due to high winds, they changed the swim course the day before the race from the previously-used 3.8-kilometre box pattern to a 3.1-kilometre swim with the current. Seriously? What’s next?

And here’s another thing that grinds my gears: the line between a full Ironman and a 70.3 has been blurred. Some 70.3 finishers feel justified in celebrating their accomplishment with an M-dot tattoo. That’s not really surprising since, in some 70.3 events, finishers are greeted with “Jane Smith – YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!” Um, no, you’re not. You’re a Half Ironman. And a full Ironman is way more than twice as hard as a 70.3. You don’t get to call yourself a Marathoner if you’ve only run a half marathon, do you? The Facebook page “You know you’re an Ironman when…” has over 16,000 followers; many of its regular posters have only done 70.3 events. Maybe there should be a separate page called “You know you’re a half Ironman when…”?

I’m just an average age-grouper (around 14 hours), and I don’t do Ironman because it is easy. I do it because it is hard. A real challenge. A test. I enter each race knowing there’s a chance I won’t even finish, not only due to insufficient physical and mental conditioning on my part, but to circumstances beyond my control such as weather, injury or a mechanical problem.

I’m glad I was able to get three Ironman races done before the SwimStart initiative was brought in and the race watered down. I doubt I’ll ever do another Ironman unless it has a mass in-water swim start.

I wonder if, years from now, I’ll be one of those old guys with a faded M-dot tat on my calf, grousing, “Yah, but I did Ironman back in the olden days, when there were mass swim starts, 20% DNFs, it was uphill both ways...”

End of rant.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Last edited by: Cycling nation: Apr 25, 18 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done mass starts in crowded venues (CdA) and more wide open ones (IMWA / IMNZ), and I've done the new rolling starts. Mostly the only difference is expending some more energy in a crowded mass start. I don't see how the change negatively affects you in any way. If anything, I'm in favor of rolling starts at Whistler because the entry to the water has a lot of sharp rocks and is a good opportunity to get hurt if you're smashed into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers are batting 1.000 recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling nation wrote:

I wonder if, years from now, I’ll be one of those old guys with a faded M-dot tat on my calf, grousing, “Yah, but I did Ironman back in the olden days, when there were mass swim starts, 20% DNFs, it was uphill both ways...”

You seem to already be there. I preferred the old mass starts but I can see the advantages of the new starts. In the end, it's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over. Life goes on and i'll keep racing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur. I have done 3 with mass starts and 2 with rolling starts and 1 with AG starts (non IM brand). Personally,I much prefer the rolling start. I have participated in IM as a back of the MOP and now closer to a back of the FOP age grouper so I've seen the races from many angles. What I've found is that I don't race against people but rather against the clock so it's still a challenge for me whether or not it's a mass start or a rolling start. I like swimming in cleaner water not fearing for my life. Even now as a 1 hours swimmer which would put me ahead of the scrum, this is my preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s at least 20 threads on this in the last 2-3 years.

All your points have been beaten to death already on here.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your my hero!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you maybe, and I know from your rant this is a long shot, a 400 yard tee shot into a stiff headwind long shot, but has it ever crossed your mind it's not about you?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was no point to this nor any suggestions on how to make the sport better. Good to know you no longer are racing Ironmans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So have you put some hard IMs on your schedule, say Wales or Lanzarote, or maybe an Xtreme tri, so you can really test yourself ... and really look down on the easy IMs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a few, maybe 3 or 4 convo's with Jimmy, who I hope comes on and chimes in if I missed any points. And I think if you search the archives you'll find Jimmy and I arguing and he can attest we've had some phone convo's about this as well.

Some reasons as I understand them for going to the rolling start are:

Swim safety - it's easier for lifeguards to get to someone when there is a 10 person thick line of swimmers vs a 40 to 50 person thick herd.
Drafting - it helps reduce pack size in the early miles of the bike & makes any enforcement a bit easier

No for some races like IMAZ it's a bullshit measure, you've got a huge area to start. If you keep that 200m swim to the start you'll whittle out some of the extremely poor swimmers. IIRC we saw 3-4 get pulled out before the first bridge and that happens every year. On the bike if you're in that mediocre swimmer group you're in a huge peloton heading out on the Beeline. No way to really police it. Give and take. No simple solution

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always just do your own self supported full distance triathlon whenever you choose so you’re not inconvenienced by all the other people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because when I think about Ironman being an individual event, my first thought is “let’s start with a group kickboxing match...”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll answer your rant with one of my own. Why do so many people expect companies to just make products that satisfy them, even though that isn't what the market is moving towards? The entire reason they exist is to make money. Yes, most decisions they make are with the goal of increasing profits. Yes, bike companies are going to try to market their stuff as fastest so people will buy it. Yes, Ironman is going to try and maximize entries, so they make more money, etc. Is this really that hard to understand? Either these companies make money or they disappear, what don't people get about that?

Also, if I were an insurance company, I wouldn't insure a race that had a mass start except maybe Kona. So much safer to do a rolling start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bruce - Kevin from Mission here. I see that you also did IMC in 2010 in Pentic. as well as IM Whister in 2016. I agree that the swims were fairly different experiences.

As you mentioned, in 2010 you paid your dues as a slower newbie and hung out in the back until it was safe to proceed... a wise decision. Then you tried swimming with the big boys in 2013 and got your head knocked around, which was, I guess a learning experience. Then you did 2016 and had a "orderly" experience. As "EPIC" as those mass starts were back in the day, I'm not so sure they were better.

Although waiting around on shore for a long time after a good warm up does suck, I guess if we wanna experience the big start / old school style we need to up our game, win the lottery, learn how to swim w/out wetsuits (if that is possible) and qualify for Hawaii =-)

BTW: Whonnock Lake is open for business! Just pass that on to buttman!!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2/10
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, it looks more "epic" on picture with 2000 people rushing into the water, but that is about the only upside. The warmup is equal to everyone, time wise.

What we gain is: Alot more swim safety not being kicked all over the place, and since swimming is the portion where most people die, it makes good sense to me. The field gets alot more spread out on the bike, due to the rolling starts. As you self seed you will be swimming the equal speeded swimmers and wont have to fight your way around too many people.

Finally, we love triathlon, we want it to gain more followers. What scares people? THe swim, and a hectic swim start, so it makes good sense to ease the entry for all of those people that make it possible to even have a race in the first place!
You still complete a full distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite an enjoyable little thread this.

The OP provides a self absorbed rant on a thoroughly covered topic for ST - Boring!
But all of the responses are relevant, considered and spot on. Restores my faith in STers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you able to say in a sentence what the issue is?
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I can see both sides, so it would seem logical to have both options.

How about keeping mass starts for the regional championships plus the odd 'known difficult' race like Lanza/Wales/Nice. That way plenty of entry points for newbies, but the Championship races are a step up in difficulty but also have the 'true race' aspect and epic mass start spectacle befitting their status as well.

Safety could be addressed by having a requirement to have completed an IM with say sub 1:45 swim(?) in order to enter.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Cycling nation wrote:
You seem to already be there.
Hahaha, brilliant!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree! I'll also add that I hate it when people who complete a 140.6 distance race that isn't mdot branded call themselves an Ironman!

I mean, it totally waters down the value of our tattoos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a note.

IRONMAN is a brand. Not a distance.

For the record, I’ve done 10 Ironmans and about 43 half Ironmans. I hate the name Ironman 70.3.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got bored, didn't finish it.

All I know is that I've completed 2 IM70.3 events, so that means I can get an m-dot tattoo now.

I think I'm gonna do it like the old WWII pilots, a tattoo for each one. Can't decide if I should have them go in a row around my biceps, on my pecs, or somewhere else ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I got bored, didn't finish it.

All I know is that I've completed 2 IM70.3 events, so that means I can get an m-dot tattoo now.

I think I'm gonna do it like the old WWII pilots, a tattoo for each one. Can't decide if I should have them go in a row around my biceps, on my pecs, or somewhere else ;-)

We gonna go for our military tats after the Navy sprint??
Quote Reply

Prev Next