Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah!

It's a Navy race, so we need anchor tats.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember watching this a few times before my first and only IM (IMC, 2013) and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kal0eU2cf8I

I did the deepwater start in 2013 at IMC with everyone pretty well strung out. You must have worked hard to get hit as hard as you did. Wasn't as bad as some other events I've done with AG pens starting in single batches. I remember the rolling start at Whistler in 2016 (doing the half) and it really wasn't the end of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I got bored, didn't finish it.

All I know is that I've completed 2 IM70.3 events, so that means I can get an m-dot tattoo now.

I think I'm gonna do it like the old WWII pilots, a tattoo for each one. Can't decide if I should have them go in a row around my biceps, on my pecs, or somewhere else ;-)

I was out riding and saw a guy like that! He had done 2 or 3 fulls and it looked like about 4 halfs (he had half m-dots for those). He even had different styles for different races but I did not get a good enough look to figure out which ones.

No joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang! That was my advantage haha the pure lack of anxiety and borderline excitement of mass swim starts. Being a surfer and losing my board and swimming hundreds of yards through current and 10+ foot hurricane waves really makes you NOT fear people.

Everyone I talk to gets so nervous about the swim so that is where I got to save energy and take a bit of an advantage so as to not get quite as destroyed on the run haha

This is like when they banned rubbing in NASCAR :-(
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how dare they improve something, in my day we drowned and liked it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Just a note.

IRONMAN is a brand. Not a distance.

For the record, I’ve done 10 Ironmans and about 43 half Ironmans. I hate the name Ironman 70.3.
Was supposed to be in pink?

"Ironman" is a brand not a distance. I can agreed with that.

Then you claim to have done 43 half Ironmans. There's no such thing as a half Ironman. What's half a brand?
If you mean the Ironman middle distance product, that's called an Ironman 70.3. The fact that you hate the name of the product is irrelevant.
Presumably you've done 53 Ironman events 10 of which were long distance triathlons and 43 middle distance? Ironman after all is a brand. Not a distance.

If you're going to start a post by defining a word, don't write the rest of the post using a different definition!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was completing the online registration for Ironman Canada 2016

You've been holding this in for almost 2 years and that's the best you could come up with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh?? For perspective, I have 27 IM finishes so far - 190 total triathlons (vast majority have waves). Quite honestly, I see the new IM swim starts (not really new - there were waves at my 1st Roth in '89) as mostly a non-factor. The greatest positive is breaking up, a little, some of the bike packs. I don't really get the big deal and I'm trying to figure out what your rant really is.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep...
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1/10:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess next the OP is going to blast time trial events for doing 30 sec or 1 min rolling starts so that he doesn't get to draft.

Lol. Wow.

What is wrong with the concept of a rolling start? That's how time trial works. Just because you don't start at the exact same time doesn't mean it isn't the same race.

FWIW, since there isn't drafting in an IM, an IM is essentially a multisport long distance time trial. To limit time on course, you do big starts. Imagine sending off that many people 30sec between people. You'd never finish.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. He lost my attention after about one sentence. I presumed to know the rest from the headline but wouldn’t bother to read it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should stick to cycling, as your user name implies. That, or professional complainer. You're skills are certainly up to snuff in that department.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Have you maybe, and I know from your rant this is a long shot, a 400 yard tee shot into a stiff headwind long shot, but has it ever crossed your mind it's not about you?

This ^^^^^^

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Have you maybe, and I know from your rant this is a long shot, a 400 yard tee shot into a stiff headwind long shot, but has it ever crossed your mind it's not about you?

Wait, you cant hit a 400 yard tee shot into a headwind?

Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I know is that I've completed 2 IM70.3 events, so that means I can get an m-dot tattoo now.
---

Make it a puzzle. Get half a tattoo on one forearm and the other half on the other forearm. Design them in a way that you can put your arms together- Boom Ironman

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could agree with a bit there, yep, was ones of those who cheered the time IMOZ announced at the day before race brief that the water was too hot for wetsuits and it would be harder for the guppies but think there has been two races now where blokes didn't get out of the water...sort of changes the way you look at staggered swims....whatever gets us all out of the water for me now.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Make it a puzzle. Get half a tattoo on one forearm and the other half on the other forearm. Design them in a way that you can put your arms together- Boom Ironman

Brilliant!

Could do that with other body parts too. I'm lookin' at you, ladies ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [AussieIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey if a couple dudes have to die so OP can feel like a real man, small price to pay
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
So have you put some hard IMs on your schedule, say Wales or Lanzarote, or maybe an Xtreme tri, so you can really test yourself ... and really look down on the easy IMs?

Wales is a rolling start, so it's obviously not a hard race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know why youre so surprised, its the way the world is going. Theres a feeling of entitlement, people think that just because they want something they should be able to achieve it. Trying to make it as easy as possible along the way and race directors giving in.

You finished an IM after the cutoff in over 17 hours? Doesn't matter, your triathlon friends will tell you that it still counts and you should still get an mdot tattoo because you covered the distance.
Course is too hard? RDs will change it and make it easier.
Scared of open water swimming? No worries, race will be wetsuit legal, a non mass start, downhill swim, and at the slightest amount of chop will cancel the swim altogether.
The ultra race is too difficult and not many people can finish it? The cutoffs will be expanded so more people can participate and finish because I guess that its elitist that only people who train and kill themselves during the race should finish.

I would say that this is an issue with kids nowadays but see all sorts of adults in triathlon with the same mentality. Its like everybody who was picked last in sports as a child, grew up and started doing triathlons feeling they deserve to "finish" regardless of how its done.

If triathlon is to keep growing then RDs will have to start figuring out how to make races more inclusive to attract even more people. Which means that this will only get worse. Just accept it.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:

I can see both sides, so it would seem logical to have both options.

How about keeping mass starts for the regional championships plus the odd 'known difficult' race like Lanza/Wales/Nice. That way plenty of entry points for newbies, but the Championship races are a step up in difficulty but also have the 'true race' aspect and epic mass start spectacle befitting their status as well.

Safety could be addressed by having a requirement to have completed an IM with say sub 1:45 swim(?) in order to enter.

What do you think about having KQ spots be gun time with a mass start, and the rest of the field (those that are not trying to KQ) do a rolling start with chip time? You would keep the exciting finishes/chasing down a competitor, but not have to worry about the BOP swimmers getting beat up and dying.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done 6 IMs and have experienced both mass and rolling starts. I'm a MOP triathlete but a FOP swimmer (approx 1 hour).

For me personally, I'm glad they changed it. Even as a FOP swimmer, I HATED the mass start. I did one at IM Texas in 2013 and got clobbered the entire first 1/2 mile by all the men surrounding me (I'm female). At a race with a wave start, I can usually pull away from the group within the first minute or two. But with the mass start, the draft was so strong that it was very difficult for me to try and pull away from it. I was totally trapped- getting punched in the face by cruddy swimmers and completely unable to find my rhythm and hold my breathing pattern. I also feel that it physically gave an advantage to weaker swimmers because they were able to ride that draft at least 1/4 of the way through the course.

Changing to a rolling start allows everyone to swim their own race while making it safer for everyone. I understand your argument re: losing the "IM experience". But for me, that experience really sucked. I can't imagine how much worse it must have been for somebody not as comfortable in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should stick to cycling, as your user name implies. That, or professional complainer. You're skills are certainly up to snuff in that department.

Support the fight against apostrophe abuse!
Is it a contraction? Is it a possessive? If neither, you probably shouldn't use an apostrophe.
Learn more at The Grammar Book

T-WREX, how could ya?

Proofread that last sentence or I'll give you LOT'S of grief.

& don't blame auto-correct!

You are welcome.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: The Watering Down of Ironman - A Rant [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting a sentence with an ampersand?

tsk tsk...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next