Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Jmercer wrote:
Great! Keep the planning details coming!

What tires/tubes will you be using?

Bib #143

John

Given that the roads are supposed to be rough, Specialized Turbo Cotton 24 with latex tubes and orange seal endurance inside.

Plan to run 808 fr/rr or maybe the new 454 disc front and rear.

Wondering why you chose The Endurance formula from Orange seal? Regular formula offers better protection from punctures.

I wasn't aware of that. Originally I chose it because there's not an easy way to test if it's dried out and I figured that it was a bit of insurance against that to have the longer lasting version. But no question I'd prefer the more effective version, even if it does dry out faster.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, great minds think alike! Thanks for the feedback on the Salomon S-Lab Adv Skin 12 Vest.

Is there enough room in the vest for the essentials required at the checkpoint?

Or, would all that kit go in the support crew's backpack?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Nice, great minds think alike! Thanks for the feedback on the Salomon S-Lab Adv Skin 12 Vest.

Scott

I will recommend to have the backpack packed with all the required stuff.
The headlamp can be useful in case the inside the mountain lift breaks down (it is old and has happen more than once. In 2013 we had to walk down).

Also make sure that your crew has warm cloths for you. It can be cold up there and a feather jacket is nice.
Bring food and money. You can buy Norwegian waffles in the cabin, they are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense, thanks.

Assume we will have all the required essentials and two backpacks; one for the athlete and one for support.

Can most of the (larger) items be carried in the support crew's pack?

Or, is the athlete required to carry their own gear?

In other words, I'd prefer to have a smaller pack with a few essentials and use my crew as the Sherpa. Is that allowed?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Makes sense, thanks.

Assume we will have all the required essentials and two backpacks; one for the athlete and one for support.

In other words, I'd prefer to have a smaller pack with a few essentials and use my crew as the Sherpa. Is that allowed?

Scott

The athlete has to carry their essentials (minimum requirements).
So if you want more, let the crew carry those items.
I would recommend potato chips :-)
After a long day of sugar, potato chips rocks.

I did not change shoes for the last 5k.
But I did put on long pants, gloves, hat and a goretex jacket.
For me it was helpful to keep warm.

BTW
This is the view from the run course.
I took the picture last summer on my vacation to Norway.
I spent time at my brother's cabin not far from Imingfjell.

Last edited by: Halvard: Jun 14, 17 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Makes sense, thanks.

Scott

I honestly wouldn't overthink it too much. Just...be ready for anything. You really don't know what you're going to get on the mountain. Have a ton of gear ready in car... and you can have your crew prepared to bring additional stuff if needed. 2014 had variable weather throughout...but when I finished, a super fog lifted on mountain and it was relatively nice so we didn't need to carry much additionally. So it really all depends. I ended up just using a light long-sleeved running shirt and a vest (I changed into running shorts at T2 for the whole run). Honestly, at that point, nutrition and hydration didn't really matter all that much...was just laser-focused on making it up the last bit. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:

Scott

I'll do a trial pack this weekend and let you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical weather
https://nxtri.app.box.com/v/racemanual-2017

Weather, safety and support
Expected temperatures and weather conditions
Water: Expect cold waters; as low as 13C (55F) is not unusual
Air, bike leg (Hardangervidda plateau): 5–20C (41–68F)
Air, run leg (valley floor): 12–28C (54–83F)
Air, run leg Mt. Gaustatoppen: 2–12C (36–54F)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Typical weather
https://nxtri.app.box.com/v/racemanual-2017

Weather, safety and support
Expected temperatures and weather conditions
Water: Expect cold waters; as low as 13C (55F) is not unusual
Air, bike leg (Hardangervidda plateau): 5–20C (41–68F)
Air, run leg (valley floor): 12–28C (54–83F)
Air, run leg Mt. Gaustatoppen: 2–12C (36–54F)

I love the cool weather. Im looking forward to it.
my luck though...it will be the hottest summer ever in Norway!
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will see you all in Eidfjord.

I am no officially a part of Jordan Rapp's support team.

Eidfjord here i come (and this time I will not turn into a zombie at Zombie Hill)
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too with respect to how people handle the cold. I did last years race (I'm a guy, a little over 5' 8" and around 127lbs on race day) and remember going out in the ferry seeing the neoprene booties on about 90% of swimmers (not me) thinking "uh-oh, I think I may have made a mistake". And this was with 2 practice swims in the days leading up to the race. I was totally comfortable on the on the swim. I had a neoprene hoodie which was great (I used a DeSoto and it was perfect), but otherwise, like any other swim of around 4km... into a current... :)

On the bike, I won't lie, it was very cold, but part of that was being slightly under dressed but honestly, after my feet went numb, they didn't bother me for the rest of the ride either. My biggest gripe was being unable to keep my hands remotely dry. The best thing though, and Jordan has already noted this, is the aero helmet. It made my head about the only dry thing on my body but it was such a benefit to have my head in it's own little cocoon away from the elements. I would highly recommend this.

Anyway, I think you hit it bang on. Everyone needs to figure out, how you handle cold, dress appropriately and you'll be fine. I'm very slight and the cold doesn't seem to bug me too much, others I know are bothered a lot, so it's just a personal thing. Also, I think its one of those things that you can develop/improve a bit with exposure to colder situations, but of course 2 months out from the race more or less, that ship has probably sailed. :)

Best of luck to everyone going.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [bhoage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for chiming in! The voice of experience is valuable.

Could you use hindsight describe your ideal kit for the conditions you experienced?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to know the temprature along the course use yr.no
Here you have Gaustatoppen https://www.yr.no/...atoppen_turisthytte/

I will recommend that the support crew has the app on their phone. Then they can follow the weather and plan.

I talked with my brother today. He has a cabin in Tessungdalen, just down from Imingfjell and take a right, not a left as you will do in the race.
The road is a lot better from the store in Tessungdalen to T2. This mean it will be a lot faster for the athlete, and even harder for the crew to get to T2 and be ready.
This road is not wide.

The downhill from Imingjell to Tessungdalen is not good, full of potholes. If you have a chance make sure you scout it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, it is great to see that you are racing this year. You should also know that your son's namesake will be wearing bib 271.
This is a great thread, very useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problems getting a windbreaker, headlamp, some food and drink and even a tightly packed puffy jacket in the salomon 12 litre vest. a warm hat can go on your head or can be packed in there as well. i see no reason tho have a 1.5 litre bladder or more than 500ml of water so there is lots of room available.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan (and thread),

Talk to me about these tunnels on the bike course. Are we talking pitch black with hazards?

On a related note, can you recommend a headlight? I have a Serfas Thunderbolt (60 lumens) on the tri-bike and a NiteRider 650 on the commuter. Ideally, I'd like to find something in between to meet the race spec of 100 lumens. Recommendations?

Alternatively, I'm considering a second Thunderbolt to bump up to 120 lumens. Adequate?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Talk to me about these tunnels on the bike course. Are we talking pitch black with hazards?
The tunnels do have lighting, but they are still quite dim.

The road surface on the whole is very good, but yes there are a few potholes on this climb (although I'd be surprised if you will be going fast enough to not be able to avoid them!)

Race Calendar 2017:
5th August - Norseman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do not need the lights for the tunnels. More to stay safe on the road.
You will be biking on public roads so make sure you are visible.

Having a good front light can help all the support cars to see you more easily when they are entering the road after a pit stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hey Dan (and thread),

On a related note, can you recommend a headlight? I have a Serfas Thunderbolt (60 lumens) on the tri-bike and a NiteRider 650 on the commuter. Ideally, I'd like to find something in between to meet the race spec of 100 lumens. Recommendations?

Alternatively, I'm considering a second Thunderbolt to bump up to 120 lumens. Adequate?

Scott

I have this. Very reliable. I have a rear strobe as well. On daylight flashing it lasts for 20 hours. When the battery is running low it goes to a simple flashing pattern.

https://www.trekbikes.com/...r-ion-800-r/p/14302/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Hey Dan (and thread),

Scott

I have this. Very reliable. I have a rear strobe as well. On daylight flashing it lasts for 20 hours. When the battery is running low it goes to a simple flashing pattern.

With everyone else on this. The tunnels aren't that dark. If you have decent light use it. To be honest, I went super cheap with these:

https://www.amazon.com/...Lights/dp/B00APUKKMS

Didn't "need" lights and these passed any muster with the race.

I'm not sure if it's like this every year, but they had a no passing rule on for the tunnels in 2014. Had a large number of people bunch up as we could only go as slowest person in the front.

Don't know if I've said this, but if so, bears repeating: As with any IM distance, you want to take it easy during the beginning of the bike. For Norseman, it's absolutely essential in first 40K up to Dyranut. In my excitement to racing Norseman, some tough wind conditions and a bit of anxiety about getting a black shirt... I definitely did not check myself on that first 40K climb. Paid the price for it on the later climbs.

Also.. just thinking, in case any racers are following along:

Take as much of your kit and supplies as you can. I opted for "kitchen sink" approach to packing and was glad I did. Didn't necessarily use everything but was glad I had options. You won't want to try to find stuff in Norway. And if you do...it will be very expensive. There won't be anything in Eidfjord, that's for sure.

I traveled with a hen house and was basically able to fit a huge amount in both the bike and wheel bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Thread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing yet to be discussed here - what sort of gearing are you people going for? I guess Jordan wont be bringing a 1x, but I don't think I'll choose my gearing based on someone planning to do the ride closer to 300w than 200w avg.

I'm probably stuck with my 39/28 as easiest gear, which will maybe leave me a bit undergeared on the steepest sections. What are others going for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
One thing yet to be discussed here - what sort of gearing are you people going for? I guess Jordan wont be bringing a 1x, but I don't think I'll choose my gearing based on someone planning to do the ride closer to 300w than 200w avg.

I'm probably stuck with my 39/28 as easiest gear, which will maybe leave me a bit undergeared on the steepest sections. What are others going for?

I raced with a compact crank and with a 11-28 in back. I am glad I did. I could spin up the hills easily if needed and keep my HR down.
On race day I was 6.2 and 185 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:

Same as you. Compact with 11/28.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan....Hey Thread,

How is the plan for 8.5 coming together?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
lovegoat wrote:

I raced with a compact crank and with a 11-28 in back. I am glad I did. I could spin up the hills easily if needed and keep my HR down.
On race day I was 6.2 and 185 pounds.

And by compact i guess you mean a 50/34 up front right? So that your easiest gear was 34/28?

I've been thinking of switching to a 52/36 up front, to get down to a 36/28-combo, but just can't seem to justify the $$ it'lll cost me :) Hoping I'll be fine with a 39/28 - easiest - I'm around 170 lbs, so a little lighter - hoping I can spinn up the hills ok @ around 3 - 3.5 w/kg!

Anyone else riding a normal crankset up front? (53/39?)
Quote Reply

Prev Next