Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
getbarreled wrote:
Hey man, can't deny the hard-core slowtwitchers there fodder for saying mean things to each other.

*their

You fucking idiot

:)

:-D this made me laugh more than it should have.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
ā€œI swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Barring some significant deterrent like a court gag order,

hmmmm....dont like the sound of that. Has there been any activity that makes you think this may occur?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested to see the results today....!
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

Me too!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

Someone mentioned Triathlete Magazine. Are the results getting posted there, or here on ST?

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
ā€œI swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:

Someone mentioned Triathlete Magazine. Are the results getting posted there, or here on ST?

The Triathlete Mag article is supposed to be an expose about wind tunnel testing in general and there is a side bar thing about the testing. And the guy had to get the thing finalized four months before publication. So I guess we can read all about it in like three months

Dan is doing a little synopsis thing for the front page and we will start up a thread
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here at some point this morning.
Triathlete later this year

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So with many new super bikes having come out since this test, what are the chances of having a new one done? I'm sure there are enough nerds/enthousiasts on here that would be willing to chime in, donate some change to get this done?

- Trek Speed Concept disc
- Canyon Speedmax disc
- Argon e119 tri disc
- Scott Plasma 6
- Orbea Ordu disc
- Cube Aerium C68 (TT) disc
- Ventum One disc
- Cadex bike if anyone can get their hands on one
- Tri Rig Omni which wasn't in the test the last time
- Cervelo P5d/PX to compare results with the previous test, as a base line?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joeri

I'm happy to do a new test. There was talk of this a year or so ago. I figure besides bikes wind tunnel costs would be ~ $8k.

I'd also like to do something where we get 3-4 people including at least 1 female to give a wider range of expected savings. That's going to be more $$$.

Happy to run the testing, it's the sourcing of bikes, matching coordinates for bike only testing, and all the little things that go on behind the scenes to get the bikes ready to load on the platform. IIRC it was 2 people working for a solid 6-7h setting the bikes up to match the coordinates as closely as we did.

Last time donations did not cover the cost of testing, Kiley came out of pocket a few grand and we reduced our rates some. If I factored in all the hours I put into it pre test I probably made ~$5/hr, maybe

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
So with many new super bikes having come out since this test, what are the chances of having a new one done? I'm sure there are enough nerds/enthousiasts on here that would be willing to chime in, donate some change to get this done?

- Canyon Speedmax disc
- Argon e119 tri disc
- Scott Plasma 6
- Orbea Ordu disc
- Ventum One disc

Itā€™s all conjecture anywaysā€¦but Iā€™d drop a few from your listā€¦and replace with Dimond and Pinarello. Iā€™ll have to go back and check, but Dimond might have had more bikes there than ventum.

*conjecture as in Iā€™d doubt aero shootout 2 gets funded šŸ˜‚
Last edited by: zooropa: Oct 12, 22 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Joeri

I'm happy to do a new test. There was talk of this a year or so ago. I figure besides bikes wind tunnel costs would be ~ $8k.

I'd also like to do something where we get 3-4 people including at least 1 female to give a wider range of expected savings. That's going to be more $$$.

Happy to run the testing, it's the sourcing of bikes, matching coordinates for bike only testing, and all the little things that go on behind the scenes to get the bikes ready to load on the platform. IIRC it was 2 people working for a solid 6-7h setting the bikes up to match the coordinates as closely as we did.

Last time donations did not cover the cost of testing, Kiley came out of pocket a few grand and we reduced our rates some. If I factored in all the hours I put into it pre test I probably made ~$5/hr, maybe

Brian,

If this testing actually gets a green-light, I want to bring my Pearson beam-bike. I am happy to fly to you and the tunnel.

Let me know if testing seems like it will happen, and then count me and my Pearson Z1-Nine in.

Thanks,
Christian W.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:

- Canyon Speedmax disc
- Argon e119 tri disc
- Scott Plasma 6
- Orbea Ordu disc
- Ventum One disc

The Cadex bike is kind of vaporware right now unless your name is Kristian Blummenfelt.

They were taking preorders on the UK Cadex site but that has since disappeared.

I heard that we won't see one in North America until sometime in 2023.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The Cadex bike is kind of vaporware right now unless your name is Kristian Blummenfelt.

So much so that not even the guy who ended up winning Kona got to ride on one (not sure if this should be pink or not...maybe he was offered it but decided to stick with the Trinity?)

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

- Canyon Speedmax disc
- Argon e119 tri disc
- Scott Plasma 6
- Orbea Ordu disc
- Ventum One disc

Itā€™s all conjecture anywaysā€¦but Iā€™d drop a few from your listā€¦and replace with Dimond and Pinarello. Iā€™ll have to go back and check, but Dimond might have had more bikes there than ventum.

What??? Not funded??? You mean people aren't dropping hundreds into an account for this? Crazy. Pony up people, science is calling...YOU!

historically one of the 2 bike brands you would add is not very fast at least according to my rim brake bike only testing. The other brand I've never tested that I can remember

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought.... Should throw an old / original Cervelo P3 in there for good measure. Would be interesting to see HOW much things are better from what you can get for a few k online in used bikes vs. 10k...

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriChris14 wrote:
Just a thought.... Should throw an old / original Cervelo P3 in there for good measure. Would be interesting to see HOW much things are better from what you can get for a few k online in used bikes vs. 10k...

Now this is from memory so Iā€™m prepared to be blown upā€¦but I donā€™t have time to do a bunch of researchā€¦

I am thinking everyone seems to agree the P5 was/is about as good as they come in relation to aero. I believe the P4 was found to be within range of this same statusā€¦like maybe a 30-40 second difference over IM bike leg. The P3 with the same fork as the P4 (circa 2010 or 2011) was said to be a couple minutes slower than the p4.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Either way, would love to see how big a difference it really is...

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

So much so that not even the guy who ended up winning Kona got to ride on one (not sure if this should be pink or not...maybe he was offered it but decided to stick with the Trinity?)

Cadex provided a whole fleet for sub7

It's a marketing exercise. KB is sponsored by Cadex and GI by Giant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Joeri

Fully understand! The cost is considerable and that is even without the (more than just) good will of guys like you.

I guess something needs to be setup first to see what kind of "budget" can be put together via donations and so on and also people willing to participate and bring bikes to be tested.
In the end, a lot of people will read this.. Probably a lot that don't chime in at first and contribute..
People from the timetriallinguk forum, people from the trainerroad or weightweenies forum. A lot of them are readers here as well and there are a lot of threads on the latest and greatest with regards to aero. Perhaps interest needs to be created there as well.

zooropa wrote:

The Dimond Mogul disc was also on my shortlist but I was just naming some of the latest interesting bikes to come out since the last test. But I agree, chances are likely small which is a bit unfortunate. That paper was cited on many other forums as well so there definitely is enough interest..

The GMAN wrote:

They were taking preorders on the UK Cadex site but that has since disappeared.

I heard that we won't see one in North America until sometime in 2023.

Agreed, but then again Matt Bottril has a few riders on them and likely tested them. If guys like him and perhaps Xav from Aerocoach get involved?

Well, it's fun to dream and speculate but getting the budget to do something like this from a gofundme or something will be very difficult..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd give some $ again for another test because I think independent testing like this existing is very valuable... but my gut tells me we haven't moved on in designs far enough from the last test. Like... P5(x) still good... other bikes slightly better/worse seems like the most likely outcome.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if there were any bikes measurably faster than the P5x. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if most new bikes are slower since manufacturers don't provide data and many STers seem to think "peak aero" automatically means all new bike designs are fast. Hint: peak aero implies we're close to the ceiling lf whats possible with a lot of effort, but it's just as easy to make a slow bike as before.

It would be a success if Aerium, Plasma, Ordu, E-119, TimeMachine, Speedmax, and SpeedConcept are close to the P5x.

Dollars to donuts Ventum, Dimond, and Shiv Disc are slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm more than happy to talk with anyone who wants to get this started.

I can remember sitting in the control room, everyone was huddled around the monitors, the naysayers were naysaying, reps from certain bike brands were trying to influence my testing protocol to favor their bike, my stress level was through the roof. Kiley came through on his first run and was so rock solid, i felt a little stress bleed off. When he did it again I was F yeah MFer! Way to go! He was baller all day long.

In fact kiley was so solid each and every run that one of the reps actually feel asleep during the testing!

then the after test shite started with a bike brand who felt the test was flawed. That was a whole other ball of wax I didn't see coming..sigh.

Like I said though, happy to chat and would 100% do it again

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 13, 22 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Chemist wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Iden is sponsored by both Cadex and Giant

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Chemist wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Iden is sponsored by both Cadex and Giant

Giant is a parent company of Cadex, so basically their are the same.

"In July 2019, Giant launched CADEX, previously the name of their mass-produced carbon fiber bicycle launched in 1987, as their line of bicycle components, wheels, tires and finishing kits.[17] Before the brand was officially launched, UCI WorldTeam teams sponsored by Giant (Team Sunweb on 2018, and CCC Pro Team on 2019) were seen with components branded as #Overachieve, which Giant says were race-tested prototypes of the CADEX components."
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone knows Cadex is Giant. That's why I called it a marketing exercise.

I was talking about frame sponsors. Giant wants to sell both Giant and Cadex bikes, so they have one athlete sponsored by each sub-brand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next