Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [53x11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53x11 wrote:
What's really much more disturbing to me is that these tests are an order of magnitude off. How can we believe anything if for whatever reason (protocols, etc.) the same experiment comes off different by a factor of 10? Makes me question any wind tunnel tests. It's like if you go to one doctor and he says - you weigh 160 lbs. But then another one says - my super-precise scientific measurements say you weigh 1,600 lbs, yes, I was surprised too, but... science!

Would you trust any doctor after that?

Well it is more like one doctor saying you weigh 146lbs and one saying you weigh 160lbs. (since you could weight 145 lbs and one measures a 1.6lbs change from baseline and another 16lbs from baseline). Still a large change, but not as big as you trying to convey.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
BMANX wrote:
What about going from very hairy and using an electric shaver to trim down but still having stubble and not doing the full shave. Thoughts.

That is a very good question.

I wonder if an optimum amount of stubble would trip the boundary layer like (dare I say it) wheel dimples...

EDIT: Then, there is this: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...erformance_4255.html

That article was posted on April 1......April Fools Day

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 17, 14 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
BMANX wrote:
What about going from very hairy and using an electric shaver to trim down but still having stubble and not doing the full shave. Thoughts.

That is a very good question.

I wonder if an optimum amount of stubble would trip the boundary layer like (dare I say it) wheel dimples...

EDIT: Then, there is this: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...erformance_4255.html

That article was posted on April 1......April Fools Day

You picked up on that, did you? ;-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaved for the first time this weekend - had my highest average speed for a tri. Obviously dozens of variables at play, but...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so shaving for my next race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding slower and I attribute that to not shaving...
It's time to de-hair a bit.
Besides, feel much more athletic when I do. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Shaved for the first time this weekend - had my highest average speed for a tri. Obviously dozens of variables at play, but...

Ditto. Shaved legs and arms. I'm probably a 7 on the Wookie scale. 22.4mph in an olympic on 197 watts. I was going to upload to BestBikeSplit and compare to a few other efforts when I have some time.

http://app.strava.com/activities/165503830

6'1" 175lbs. Setup below - seat a little lower/arms a little more stretched than when photo was taken based on ST advice (no dog in the race-day setup).

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [spomeroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the UCI will ban hairless legs given its apparent efficiency.

On a more serious note, I was told some years ago by a chap who knows a few things about aerodynamics that he'd always wanted to test the efficacy of shaving the front of the legs only. Therefore, leaving the rear or trailing edge of the legs hairy. I didn't take him seriously, but modern skinsuit technology seems to be working on the same principle, so maybe he wasn't joking.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think arms may happen for Nationals. Wife already hates the shaved leg look, might as well go all out...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just used clippers on the arms and the first pass of the legs. Used a blade for the part from my shorts to ankles.

Ingrown hairs are not sexy.

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup - that's what I did too (minus the arms). Definitely a process! No ingrown hairs though, thankfully.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am beginning to think that if we add up all the claimed power savings from certain bike frames, tires, helmets, skin suits, and now shaved legs, that biking 40 kph is now power negative. I'll be able to expend -60 watts and go 40 kph.

Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
I am beginning to think that if we add up all the claimed power savings from certain bike frames, tires, helmets, skin suits, and now shaved legs, that biking 40 kph is now power negative. I'll be able to expend -60 watts and go 40 kph.

Just like golf clubs... every single year Titleist/Calloway/Taylor Made/etc. has a pro on the screen and states, "I hit it 10-15 yards farther". If that was at all true, we'd be hitting 450yard averages by now.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [53x11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53x11 wrote:
Many of us have a gut feeling for what 7% in drag or power savings feels like.

lol, no you don't. But I guess that "gut feeling" is a great way to justify buying aero anything. "Of course this was worth it, I feel faster". Ignorance is bliss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I feel like this whole thing should be written in pink because A) I'm being punked and am too stupid to know it or B) Jesse Thomas is being punked.

In the new Triathlete magazine, the hairy beast that is Jesse Thomas wrote that he did a shaved legs test at the "Win Tunnel" and they found he gained 15 watts by going shaved compared to full beast.

Am I missing something? It sure seems like I am.

Ok, we are many pages into this post and I still cannot figure it out. Is this a joke, a prank?
If so, will someone please tell us?
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes I would. If you ride solo and don't pay attention to speed or power maybe you won't. But if you ride with others, or track your numbers, you know that 7% is a huge difference. Being dropped by 7%, or getting 7% fitter and being able to "catch" a guy 7% more powerful - this is huge.

You really can't tell when your performance drops off (or gains) by 7%? Seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch for this Mark... great stuff! Unfortunately I already shave my legs, so no free speed for me. I'll be interested in your arm shaving results...

Any thoughts on how this large decrease in drag makes sense? Seems that the legs are a pretty large part of total drag for starters. I already suspected this from Tour's tests with a torso-less dummy. They were getting drag values nearly as high as I'd expect from a full rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing the importance of legs to the fore, makes me start to wonder a bit more about the effect that stance width can have on your drag. Sorry if OT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished 1st time shaving for some field testing this weekend. Anyone heading to Bracebridge this weekend, prepare to be dominated!

I'm (was) at least an 8 on the wookie metre, so I'm hoping to cash in on almost all of those 15 watts.

If I end up making this a regular look I'm gonna have to invest in an electric razor for the first pass. Seriously, that took a hell of a long time. After the first leg I was ready to call it quits and just live with half the gains. (Figured this may lead to some handling issues due to pressure differentials so for safety reasons I had to finish the job.)

This did bring up an interesting question though, exactly where do you stop once your near the top?
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Our tester who saved 50 secs had tall socks, low shorts (just above the knee), and had thin thin hair over the knee and upper lower legs.

That was a massive difference. I can confidently say that those with light leg hair thinking this doesn't apply to them need to believe this is as big of a difference as it is.

Arms we aren't very far on testing. We need a lot of data for this - TT and road positions will be very different. There's likely a difference but not as much as legs.

Mark

Pretty cool. Always done it because it's obvious it makes a difference in the pool and on the bike, but was surprised as well to see that much of a difference.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why the electric buzzer is key. Stop ar your ear lobes. Then just use the blade from anklesto thigh.

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a related note...

Another debate has been the shave-down for pool swimmers. Again, no really great data. I've seen some reliable data that suggest that your rate of decay off the wall is lower, suggesting that there is less drag in the water. It makes the hypothesis of shaving is faster in the water plausible, but gains on a per/100m basis have not been outside of the margin of error when they actually test swimmers, but all those studies did a piss-poor job of setting up and testing (they also included the taper and speed suits).

So, in a pool triathlon, like the one I have tomorrow. I will not be tapered, and I will not be in a legit speed suit (just a basic tri suit). I may have to shave down...again not scientific due to only one data point, but it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

My predicted 750m time based on my current training will be 12:45 ± 0:15 (I don't have enough of a training/racing history to really know precisely where I'm at). So if I'm faster than 12:30 and don't feel like I'm swimming out of my mind, it'll offer more fuel to the fire.

Pertinent info:
I'm an 8 or 9 on the wookie scale, and usually have a fairly large beard too
I have swum for a little over 2 years
long intervals (400m+) in drag shorts are usually comfortably in 1:40/100m ish (short course)
I won't shave my arms (that's weird, and you kind of want your arms to 'grip' the water anyways right?)

I think slow-twitchers could probably come up with a swimming test protocol that could be fairly scientific and it would be really cool if we can put this to rest. Say 100-200 subjects doing a 400m time-trial at full wookie. Record RPE and time. Do 'normal training' for only a week (since you aren't going to get any real gains in fitness/form in a week), shave down, and do another 400 time-trial and record RPE and time. Tests must be performed in the exact same suit, goggles and cap. Base on data collected, we could even check how much of a difference there is if you are just wearing jammers, drag shorts, or a tri suit (there may be larger gains for difference attire).
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former swimmer, I can attest that shaving down for the big meet does work. I'm sure there is some physical basis for it but there is also a huge and very real psychological effect. Its a ritual, often done in community with your teammates, and it only happens a couple times a year as a culmination of a taper for a big important meet.

It definitely works, but I'm not so sure we could not have gotten almost the same effect by ritually sacrificing a goat in the shower room the night before the big meet.

(Luckily no one thought of that because if someone had, we were definitely crazy enough to try it, of course only after we had shaved down ourselves then ritually shaved the goat).

So, whatever the test is, include a group who still has their hair but did something else to get themselves really amped up ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing a sprint on Sunday and had the GF take the clippers to my legs last night. So I would say I am a 8 on the wookie scale as I used to shave my legs for a decade but I have not raced for the last 8 years so the hair has grown in very well.

I did a TT in the pool with full hair and in my race suit this week and did the 750m in 13:30 so it will be interesting on Sunday if my times have dropped. Also I am interested in seeing how my bike time goes since I did two TT on the race course over the last couple of weeks and I did 36:10 and 35:20 for the 20km course. the 36:10 was just after a rain and the 35:20 was on a dry day.

The GF was laughing at how much hair came off the legs and she insisted on vacuuming the floor after each leg because she said there was more hair on the floor from shaving my legs than there is after me getting a hair cut.

I forgot how different it feels with no hair on my legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaronechang wrote:
Why would someone test this before? Well at the beginning of the video one of them said that the shaved legs thing is one of the most frequent questions asked about aero, that's why.

Specialized is a bike / components company, and they just tested shaved vs. unshaved legs. You just answered your question "why would a bike company test this?" in your last sentence.

Wind tunnels have been around for a long, long time so I'm just wondering if there are any other studies / tests and if not, then why did it take so long. In fact you don't really need a wind tunnel to test this - people have been measuring the real-world effects of aero for quite a while outside of a wind tunnel using controlled roll down tests or riding around a track with a power meter. I even remember reading an experiment that Mark Cote did at Specialized using some Australian ProTour cyclist, a closed velodrome / track, and a power meter (I think it was to test effects of tri bike vs. road bike with aero bars, TT helmet vs aero helmet, and other stuff).

In short - since everyone has been debating this ad nauseum since the beginning of time, is this really the first test of shaved legs in a wind tunnel? If not - then how do the other studies compare?

Skipped most of the thread, so this may have already been addressed by the folks at Specialized, but here are a number of answers:

Point 1. I'm sure it has been tested at some point, by someone, prior to specialized. Olympic cyclists and TDF caliber athletes have been tested for details far less significant than the effects of surface texture of such a large area of their body.

So if it was tested before, why don't "we" know about it?

Point 2: First and foremost, wind tunnel test data is proprietary. The folks paying for the test own the data. Due to the enormous cost of obtaining this data, and competition-sensitive nature of the data (think: speed on the race track, being able to market production vehicle MPG/appearance), there is far greater value in keeping the data a secret and maintaining the competitive advantages than there is in releasing the data. The idea of releasing wind tunnel test data with competition-sensitive implications publicly (aside from the work of NASA/NACA or universities) probably didn't come about until fairly recently as "consumers" such as triathletes, motorsports hobbyists, etc. began shelling out the money for tunnel time, to obtain data that is of more value to them (as an individual) than to a competitor, or perhaps has some intrinsic value to the community that does not preclude the individual from obtaining a competitive advantage. Motorsports teams pay millions of dollars per year to book tunnel time, supply test assets and equipment, and to pay for engineers and staff to execute the tests, postprocess data, etc. The data collected influences whether or not teams win races, which is worth MANY millions of dollars per year. Giving away data is essentially financially damaging because it erodes the ROI on the tunnel testing investment. Basically: I believe that the phenomenon of people who expect no financial ROI on tunnel testing is relatively recent, and this expectation allows them to release data. Now, the way that cycling/triathlon goods producers have found a way, ostensibly to increase revenue, by releasing expensive data is interesting--by using the data to market the product to a niche group of well educated consumers, the producers are recouping their tunnel time investment by doing the exact opposite of what most commercial wind tunnel users do. But there are still people in cycling who need "wind tunnel secrets" to make money, namely professional cyclists. Why would a pro cyclist release their data, their drag-reduction ideas, or their proprietary equipment to their competition? If "shaved legs vs. hairy legs" was tested before, I suspect the data was not released for this very reason.

For some additional perspective:
Commercial wind tunnels (and their staff) by and large exist only to facilitate the test. The information privacy requirements dictate that the tunnel staff (who will see equipment/parts/pieces/data from multiple teams) do not share this information between teams, so they necessarily cannot be involved in making changes, evaluating data, etc. The tunnel staff are contractually bound to secrecy, and it is taken EXTREMELY seriously. They are simply there to man the ship. Customers bring their own staff to write the test plans and test sequences, make changes/adjustments throughout the test, and evaluate results). This is where A2 (and FASTER too, I guess, though I don't have firsthand experience there) bridge the gap between the "commercial wind tunnel" and the end consumer. Like it's "big brother" Aerodyn, A2 supplies an operator that will control the wind tunnel, but unlike its entirely commercially oriented counterpart, the A2 operator also fulfills somewhat of the role of data collector/analyst, and has historically employed a person experienced with aerodynamic bike fitting to help with changes.

I tweet!

Quote Reply

Prev Next