Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
John Cobb wrote:
I tested this leg hair question in '87 and again in 1995 at Texas A&M, I only tested one rider in each test situation but I recall that the hair amount was what we considered average. I do know we did full yaw sweeps but the gains were from zero to just a couple of seconds over the yaw range. I mean really? 70 seconds? 15 watts? I know a lot of things have changed with aero frames, positions and aero helmets used during the test but water bottle interference and calf shape and sizing will really effect the airflow shapes. Legs are just exposed cylinders to the air, so muscle shapes and leg lengths will matter. I'm glad Specialized is doing some testing and I know they are trying to be thorough but on road data with some power meters will be interesting to compare these results with.

Not sure what to say. I can give you all the raw CdA's if you need them. We were so concerned about the data that we checked out balance cal the days of the first two tests. We wouldn't put this data out without a TON of data and a bit of statistical analysis. Even with Keith, the subject of the video, a t-stat for 99% would give us a 82 sec +/- 20 sec range (I need to verify this data for all). Note our data is ONLY head on in this case but we've been pretty real about how we're testing and the results are extremely consistent.

Mark

Speaking of that, where are your error bars on the graph?? ;-)

Plus, I'm asking again for "before" pics for the range of Chewbaccas tested...please? :-)

sorry got stacked at work today - give me a day and I'll give you both.

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, I just realized that I have completely overlooked a whole new market for products. I'll need to consult with Josh @Silca but now with the fashionable compression socks that racers wear, I think I will come out with some leg moulds that you put on under the socks. Then right before the race you rip all that off and you'll have some good dimpled leg skin. Hair or not shouldn't really matter if you get the dimple pattern right. I'm seeing the whole new thing where we put team names or clubs names in the dimple pattern and then you could just shave the high areas to give some good contrast. Oh yeah, check my web site soon..
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I don't understand this. Your wife married you because of you, not your legs (regardless of what she might say). You have done the work and it is your body. Shave if you believe it gives you an advantage. I'm married and I shave and it works for us. Having said that I don't believe it makes you significantly faster over any distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so how many seconds slower would the infamous slowtwich gorilla be in a 40k TT? 3 minutes vs. the shaved man? I will volunteer to wear the gorilla suit when you decide to test this. keep me in mind.

in all seriousness, if two shaved legs makes a 15w difference, you guys at specialized better be finding ways multiple ways to make your bikes 15 w faster!
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
I agree... Some pretty odd things have been tested in the tunnel... I just have a hard time thinking this never came up before as often as it's given as a reason to shave your legs.
Admittedly it could've been tested and the info just never got out, and repeatability is there (w/ multiple athletes) in what Spec has put out.

Glad I've always shaved nonetheless. (I always did it because of the cultural thing...)

The people sponsoring the testing weren't selling razors. Thereyago.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JanneK wrote:
The effect of compression calfs in aerodynamics is interesting. As the long sleever trisuits are hot topic, the compression calfs should have similar effect. The good question is, what is the fastest compression calf. This is the only reason i use compression calfs on race, just dont have data on this topic..

A few years ago David Warden tested some apparel and tested a few compression sleeves. Give it a listen. http://tri-talk.com/77/ But I would assume like most aero benefits, it's dependent on the individual and not this brand is better is always better.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just have to say, as a fellow graduate from the 'tute, I believe you, but I'm very disappointed to see these results. I never ever really considered shaving before, but now, to learn it's as effective as an Aero helmet?

My wife didn't say that she would divorce me, but I did get the 'aren't you just doing this for fun?' response.

I've still got a few weeks to work on her before my next triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 watts?! I don't buy it. The combined additional frontal footprint added by average leg hair (vs no hair) can't equal even one additional exposed brake cable and there's no way that's going to be 15 watts. I know, I know - can't argue with the numbers. Something is up here. Flame away..
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
leegoocrap wrote:
I agree... Some pretty odd things have been tested in the tunnel... I just have a hard time thinking this never came up before as often as it's given as a reason to shave your legs.
Admittedly it could've been tested and the info just never got out, and repeatability is there (w/ multiple athletes) in what Spec has put out.

Glad I've always shaved nonetheless. (I always did it because of the cultural thing...)

The people sponsoring the testing weren't selling razors. Thereyago.

BS... I've seen Gillette's Mach3 commercials and they've got fighter jets... they've been to the tunnel. ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
15 watts?! I don't buy it. The combined additional frontal footprint added by average leg hair (vs no hair) can't equal even one additional exposed brake cable and there's no way that's going to be 15 watts. I know, I know - can't argue with the numbers. Something is up here. Flame away..

Believe me, that was my exact reaction after testing the first couple of people. We still haven't spent enough time to answer the "why" - this was just the "what." One thing to keep in mind is that frontal area is not everything and in this case likely isn't the primary factor. An interesting anecdote: men and women use different balls in tennis. The felt/fuzz on the men's ball is thicker to slow down the game (or conversely speed up the women's game with a lighter felt ball).

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"no roadie razor"

Roadies are great shavers--around all the bumps, corners of the knees, odd contours.

Trigeeks will only be able to shave two long straight patches on our shins and thighs.

Quote | Reply
One more suggestion for testing... I'm sure it's minimal (if measurable) but what is the difference between an uncut steerer tube and one that is cut to size?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a matter of time before we start seeing this.... probably saved 40 watts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Jul 3, 14 4:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theorically friction drag & interference drag could be at work here. The former is directly related to the surface area in contact with the fluid. These 60 hairs per square inch on your legs have some surface. The later is related to the interaction of the airflow around each individual hair. Two cylinders next to each other both facing the flow will have more drag combined than the sum of thier individual drag.

Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
Honestly I don't understand this. Your wife married you because of you, not your legs (regardless of what she might say). You have done the work and it is your body. Shave if you believe it gives you an advantage.
Completely agree. Maybe I'm a bit odd (well, I know I am) but I really don't understand the shaving=divorce thinking/attitude.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
Dinsky11 wrote:
Honestly I don't understand this. Your wife married you because of you, not your legs (regardless of what she might say). You have done the work and it is your body. Shave if you believe it gives you an advantage.

Completely agree. Maybe I'm a bit odd (well, I know I am) but I really don't understand the shaving=divorce thinking/attitude.

she was only saying it as a joke..

as an aside, when i look at the competition in triathlons and see shaved legs i automatically think that person is fast. If i shave down, i better lift my game ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
Dinsky11 wrote:

Hahahaha. Guys don't understand women and then don't understand why they don't understand women.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
If I were Spartacus or the Panzerwagen I'd post everything and say: "Here it is. Can you beat that? Good luck!"
I think it would take incredible confidence to the point of arrogance to do that. If you're world champion, and you give away something that makes someone else better than you, and that loses you a ton of cash and world titles over the following years, you'd feel pretty stupid, wouldn't you? So the only reason you'd give away information that might make that happen is if you believe you are so much better than everyone else that there is nothing they can do that will make them match you. As I said, confidence to the point of arrogance.

trail wrote:
There are very few things that "nobody" else has. We're trying to approach optimal performance given the constraints we have. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are really that many secrets out there (excepting doping). No secret training plans. No secret aero positions. No equipment secrets.
Suppose that the latest information from Specialized on shaved legs is correct, we have a counter-example right there. It wasn't common knowledge that those time savings were available. But it's highly likely that some people did already know about it and didn't tell anyone. If they believed that there are no secrets, then there would be no point them telling anyone, as everyone would already know. OTOH if there are secrets, they have gained a valuable advantage over the competition, so again, no point telling anyone (unless they have confidence to the point of arrogance, or are so slow that they really don't care how anyone else performs relative to them). So whether there are secrets or not, either way there is no point them telling anyone about it. The situation for Specialized is relatively rare as they aren't trying to obtain an advantage, they did the research and published it as a marketing exercise, but I can see no reason why an individual athlete would have published such information in the past if they discovered it for themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....the only thing you can be sure of is that the tri razor version will cost twice as much....
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>I think it would take incredible confidence to the point of arrogance to do that. If you're world champion

And that's also what it takes to be a world champion, generally.

>Suppose that the latest information from Specialized on shaved legs is correct, we have a counter-example right there.

I understand the concept of exploiting arbitrage. I'm sure there are other examples of proprietary knowledge that gives an advantage. I just think you're overstating its importance in the grand scheme of things.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should horses be shaved before races? Seems like it would help.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:
"no roadie razor"

Roadies are great shavers--around all the bumps, corners of the knees, odd contours.

Trigeeks will only be able to shave two long straight patches on our shins and thighs.

You've seen all the people riding out of aero on their TT bikes right? With an aero helmet? All those heel strikers in Newtons? We love to spend more on stuff that makes us faster to then use it completely wrong! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Shaved Legs = 15 watts? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Wow is right. That's like upgrading to a set of Zipp 404s, for free.

Maybe Zipp will partner with Bic to introduce a line of carbonfiber razors selling for $129.99 a piece.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
TriBiker wrote:

Believe me, that was my exact reaction after testing the first couple of people. We still haven't spent enough time to answer the "why" - this was just the "what." One thing to keep in mind is that frontal area is not everything and in this case likely isn't the primary factor. An interesting anecdote: men and women use different balls in tennis. The felt/fuzz on the men's ball is thicker to slow down the game (or conversely speed up the women's game with a lighter felt ball).

Unexpected results, and then trying to figure out why, are my favorite part of testing. Keep up the good work, Chris, & congrats on the degree!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next