Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relevant to my interests--thanks for starting this thread.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The world is your oyster these days. My "gravel" bike is a CX bike with 40c tires. If I were buying new, I would strongly consider 650B.

On a budget at the more MTB-end of the gravel spectrum, the Nukeproof Digger looks pretty cool: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e-2019/rp-prod170305

On the more road end of the spectrum, there are tons and tons of options at all price points.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely thinking something I can run 38/40 on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is a good cyclocross option with rim brakes and bigger tires that could double as a road bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non Disc brake version of a Crux is a good option in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
What is a good cyclocross option with rim brakes and bigger tires that could double as a road bike?

WHY??!!!!

cx bikes w rim brakes generally don’t take “bigger tires” than maybe 32-34 range.

Which going forward, are actually pretty small for gravel, etc.
Hell, many road bikes are now being optimized for 26-28 tires.

You’re looking to buy an anachronism, that will only fall further out of date every moment you own it.

My new 2018 road bike “only” takes 26’s and I wish I could fit larger tires on it already.

My cx/gravel steed takes 38’s, and ditto.

Both are disk brakes, and I never, ever for a single moment ever wish I had rim brakes on either bike.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Partially because I'm going to have to do two of these at one time one for the wife one for me so there is a little bit of a budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a Fuji jari??? How well does it double as a Rd bike.?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the gravel bike itch also. The ones on my list so far, starting from roughly the least expensive are

Diamondback Haanjo
Fuji Jari
Cannondale Topstone 105
Canyon Grail (aluminum)

The Topstone and Grail are around $1,750-$1,800 in the models I’m considering and seem to have pretty similar specs. If anyone sees noteworthy differences between these two, please share. REI carries the Topstone, meaning I would get 10% back as a dividend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't get anything that can't run a 45 tire

Love my trek Checkpoint with WTB Riddler 45s

If looking used, be careful, most cannot accommodate larger tires
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 friends that have the carbon Trek Checkpoint. They use this bike for gravel and road rides.

https://www.trekbikes.com/...s/checkpoint/f/F224/
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great pic

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to not spend a ton of money but I think that went out the window as I see a legitimate reason to get one of the bikes that have disc brakes now for both me and my wife. Now I'm researching trying to find something that will fit her properly cuz I would like it to double is her road bike as well. Years ago when she got her first road bike the dealership just jammed her onto a bike that was way too big and does not fit her well at all. She's 5-2 and the current bike has a reach of 377 and a top tube of 53 and 1/2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any thoughts on the top stones geometry and doubling as a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the top stones geometry and doubling as a road bike.

I rode a Topstone 105 this weekend at a LBS, although I was only able to ride it on pavement, not gravel. Very nice bike and it would serve perfectly fine as a road bike, even with the standard 40 wide tires. I found the seat pretty uncomfortable, and it seemed a little heavy even for an aluminum bike. I'm guessing it's the rims and wider tires. Other than that, I could easily see it being a do-it-all kind of bike.

I'm leaning towards the Canyon Grail AL 7.0 vs the Topstone 105. The Grail comes with lighter wheels and, hopefully a more comfortable seat. Only downside I can see to the Grail is the pressfit bottom bracket, whereas the Topstone is threaded.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [milehighrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milehighrunner wrote:
I wouldn't get anything that can't run a 45 tire

Love my trek Checkpoint with WTB Riddler 45s

If looking used, be careful, most cannot accommodate larger tires

Sounds like the Checkpoint can't actually accommodate 45s? I found the discussion below.

http://ridinggravel.com/...-any-remedy-10056985
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45's fit just fine on my '18 Trek Checkpoint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: I found a used Topstone 105 for sale locally. It was an early 2018 model that has Ultegra shifters and brakes. Guy had only ridden it a few times, so it’s basically a new bike. Time to take it to the trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! How much was it? Pics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good thread. Literally looking for the past week...and boom, this post appears. Have REI, Trek, and Chain reaction near by (near is 500 miles away, but that’s what it takes to get out of this town to one with a LBS).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife got a topstone 105 as an N-1 bike and she loves it. The geometry works great for road riding, and can easily clear the 40's that come on the bike. It could probably clear 45's, but would be a touch tight. One knock would be that the stock wheels are pretty heavy, but nice and wide for proper gravel tires. We'll be getting her a nice set of light wheels ~20 mm internal width for road rides and use the WTB wheels for gravel/ cross tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm looking at the Raleigh Willard 4. It comes with a pretty decent setup for the price but what would I need to take into consideration for a second set of wheels for road tires. Is there anything specific I need to know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not get the TopStone 105 for a little more? Hydraulic brakes and the newer 105 group set, minus the crankset. After having hydraulic discs on my mountain bikes, it would be hard to go with mechanical disc. Buy it from REI and get 10% back as a dividend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Why not get the TopStone 105 for a little more? Hydraulic brakes and the newer 105 group set, minus the crankset. After having hydraulic discs on my mountain bikes, it would be hard to go with mechanical disc. Buy it from REI and get 10% back as a dividend.

I'll have to take another look at it. What's the deal with the seat post? Can that be locked out for road rides?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up a Canyon Grail Al 7.0

Overall, it's a very nice bike for the money. Rival equipment, everything you need for tubless set up (outside of sealant), rides well both on and off road and handles very well.

I went with the 1x11 set up and found the 42 front with 10x42 rear cassette is more than enough gearing for most people. I don't spin out on the road until around 39 mph, but have gearing for 20% grinds. The jumps between gears are a little large on the road, but I don't notice it as much as I thought it would.

With two bottle holders, computer mount, egg beater pedals, a 100mm stem and set up tubless … my size small comes in at 20.05 pounds. Though, I will say, their sizes are larger than they sound. I would say the size small is between a 54cm and 56cm, I generally ride 54cm road bikes, but this bike is bigger than my 54cm TCR … which is good because I need the drop with the bars, but the extended reach.

The 38c Schwalbe tires are wide for a 38c tire … they are wider than my friends 40c WTB's by a fair amount … which may be due to slightly wider inner diameter rims (22mm I believe).

Great value for the money.

I picked mine up to get me off the road more as it's getting more and more dangerous to ride around where I live. I also enjoy the off road aspect of gravel/light trail riding, and may do some gravel races next season.

The extra bonus is it works well as a back up or winter bike, with full fender mounts, ability to run wide, lower pressure tires.
Last edited by: Wookiebiker: May 30, 19 18:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next