Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
School me on gravel bikes!
Quote | Reply
The wife has expressed interest in doing some rail trail and gravel riding. She has a road bike and does some group rides but wants to get miles in without the traffic. Central PA has alot of rail trail and light Mt biking areas so it's a good idea. Soooooo I don't no dick about gravel bikes. Thinking something that can handle 40s for tires? And since there have been multiple bikes added to the stable lately and this will be a X2 purchase (because of course I want one) I don't want to drop a ton of money.
So please tell me what I need to know. All advise is welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
following
I sold my Cross bike a year or so ago, and now the wife has renewed her interest in trail riding. (smartly she kept her bike)
so now I'm toying with picking up a cheaper gravel rig.(because you know... excuse for new bike!)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Entry level aluminum CX bikes with 2x and 32t capacity in the rear. Jack (& Jill) of all trades (EDIT: If buying used)
Last edited by: JASpencer: May 9, 19 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw. Tiagra components, spent $800 on it 3 years ago. It works great and currently on 35mm tires, I could probably go 40 but no bigger, but where I am, there is no need to go bigger. My only regret (and really big regret) was for an additional $500 I could of had the titanium version.

For the most part a CX bike would work just fine, if you don't want to drop a ton of money I'd look for a used bike or bikesdirect bike. If possible get disc brakes. I did some comparisons after my Motobecane (because of course I'm looking for reasons to upgrade), for the most part the geometry of a XC bike vs a true gravel bike is not a lot. There are differences but for the most part, nothing much. Another option is just to get a hardtail 29er mtn bike and put some 1.9 or 2.0 inch tires on it.

To add comfort I double taped the handlebars.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: May 9, 19 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a VR30 for my wife from this ebay seller (made an offer below asking price and they accepted). I'd prob go for something like this if I was you (105 hyd disc brake).

https://www.ebay.com/...047675.c100005.m1851
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In simplest terms, you are looking for a cyclocross bike.
Any bike will do.

Hydro disc > mech discs > cantis (although some love cantis)

tire size larger than 32c

MTB pedals and shoes

So.. whatever fits your budget
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look around for a new-ish used 'cross bike on craigslist, ebay, classifieds that hits your price point. Gravel bikes are the rage and I've seen more cross bikes being let go for those jumping ship. Personally, I sold the road bike and picked up a used Giant TCX and have it set with a wheelset that has 42mm WTB Resolutes and have a set of road wheels on the way for an easy swap.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gravel bikes run the gamut from mountain bike-like bikepacking bikes to road-bike like racy setups. You can pick what style of bike best fits the riding you want to do. There are hundreds of options. For regular rail trail / crushed gravel riding, pretty much anything will do. In general, I'd go with discs and room for at least 45s. Everything else is debatable.

Contrary to the posters above, I would not recommend a traditional CX racing bike for most people who want to do gravel events or ride lots of fire roads / farm roads. Traditional CX bikes are designed for 1 hour all-out racing efforts on slick courses, not for the longer, slower riding most people riding gravel are doing. Racing CX bikes typically have aggressive handling (more aggressive than even road racing bikes to handle tight CX turns), very short wheelbases, high bottom brackets and very short head tubes that result in large saddle-to-bar drops. All of this results in a very agile and responsive bike that can also be both twitchy and uncomfortable. Also, CX-specific gearing is often too tightly grouped for hilly gravel riding and CX tires are not very good for riding gravel as the tread is often too heavy.

Of course, many manufacturers are now offering longer / slacker bikes that can fit wide tires and calling them "CX bikes", so the traditional template isn't universally true. In general, ignore the labeling of the bike ("gravel racing", "adventure", "bikepacking", "cross", "road plus" etc) and focus on the geometry and features.
Last edited by: hiro11: May 9, 19 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the comments re: CX bikes. There are a lot of gravel specific bikes out there these days, I don't think OP should look for a CX bike unless he's on a budget and buying older/used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the low end of the gravel spectrum look at the Fuji Jari and the Diamondback Haanjo. Both are well reviewed around here for good bang for your buck. I got the former when Performance was having big sales.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I agree with the comments re: CX bikes. There are a lot of gravel specific bikes out there these days, I don't think OP should look for a CX bike unless he's on a budget and buying older/used.

I'll agree with that. If he is going new get a gravel specific bike. If he is going used or budget used cx (or discount online). I've changed a few things to make my xc as much as a gravel bike as it can be but I can't change the frame.

I did notice on Trek's website, the Crockett and Boone are listed under both the CX page and the gravel page.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
dalava wrote:

I'll agree with that. If he is going new get a gravel specific bike. If he is going used or budget used cx (or discount online). I've changed a few things to make my xc as much as a gravel bike as it can be but I can't change the frame.

I did notice on Trek's website, the Crockett and Boone are listed under both the CX page and the gravel page.

Then again, 2 years ago Trek also had the Emonda listed under gravel...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Warbird specifically....but the specificity of it all is getting a bit ridiculous. Find a bike that 1 )Fits you well, 2) Can accommodate the tire width you're looking for, and 3 )Is in your price range. Call it your bike and go ride while being comfortable and having fun riding with your wife.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
I have a Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw. Tiagra components, spent $800 on it 3 years ago. It works great and currently on 35mm tires, I could probably go 40 but no bigger, but where I am, there is no need to go bigger. My only regret (and really big regret) was for an additional $500 I could of had the titanium version.

For the most part a CX bike would work just fine, if you don't want to drop a ton of money I'd look for a used bike or bikesdirect bike. If possible get disc brakes. I did some comparisons after my Motobecane (because of course I'm looking for reasons to upgrade), for the most part the geometry of a XC bike vs a true gravel bike is not a lot. There are differences but for the most part, nothing much. Another option is just to get a hardtail 29er mtn bike and put some 1.9 or 2.0 inch tires on it.

To add comfort I double taped the handlebars.

My riding buddy has the Ti version and loves it. He was just saying this past weekend that although he has a slight itch to upgrade, he can't justify it given how well the Motobecane just works for him.

To the OP - I ride an older (2012?) Specialized Tricross https://www.specialized.com/...apex-compact/p/37229
Not the flashiest bike at races I've done, but it's solid, handles well and has clearance for at least 700cx42mm tires IME. There's a 2014 56cm on Ebay right now for $660 https://www.ebay.com/...xis-2-0/401760300127
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh...rub it in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't recommend this bike enough:

https://www.rodeo-labs.com/td3/

It is a bike that is super versatile and can really rip on basically anything you have the tires for.

The photos show it with MTB 2.1 or 2.2 tires on it. But I ride with a group from Rodeo Labs every Tuesday and they run really well with anything.

Worth a look in any case.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add to the chorus saying don't go CX... rules dictate they don't run wider than 33mm tires for those races, so you are likely losing some versatility there (though you can for sure squeeze a little wider tires on most CX bikes). I (a small female) just bought a Canyon Grail in March, and absolutely love it. Get a matching pair, his and hers. Boom. The value for money is good. Not 'cheap', but life is short. Buy the nice bike.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
I can't recommend this bike enough:

https://www.rodeo-labs.com/td3/

It is a bike that is super versatile and can really rip on basically anything you have the tires for.

The photos show it with MTB 2.1 or 2.2 tires on it. But I ride with a group from Rodeo Labs every Tuesday and they run really well with anything.

Worth a look in any case.

jake
Looks good, but... $2,700 frame only. For a bike you plan on riding over rough ground. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be getting on one of them soon. Possibly sell both my CX and Road bike with that bike here in CO.

To address the comment about not going CX bike, I currently have a Canyon Inflite CF LX 9.0. I ride it everywhere. It currently has Panaracer GK SK Slicks on it in a 700x38 with plenty of clearance. I have run WTB Cross Boss's in a 34, Panaracer GK's in a 35, WTB Exposure in 30's and 32's. All tires have worked very well and this bike gets ridden everywhere. Fairly certain I could get more rugged tire in a 40 on here and still be ok. My point being, that most new CX bikes do have plenty of space bigger tires.

I still think the Trail Donkey is one of the best options out there.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I found a Haanjo Comp on sale, for under $900, brand new
hydro disc brakes, 1x with 40 chain ring and 11-42 SRAM Apex , HED Components, came with Kenda 42s

I've used it for casual rides, mtb trails, gravel 'races', CX races

Right now I have gravel slicks on (28s), and it's my primary road bike

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
At the low end of the gravel spectrum look at the Fuji Jari and the Diamondback Haanjo. Both are well reviewed around here for good bang for your buck. I got the former when Performance was having big sales.

Definitely going to look at those!
Ty everyone.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are panaracer gravel king 28s, and they are essentially my road tire right now. They'll likely be replaced with 32s or even bigger. looking at challenge strada Bianca next.

it's funny how the 28s look too skinny on bikes with so much tire clearance.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For gravel, comfort should be a consideration. A 60+ mile gravel race on chunky stuff can be brutal on the typical "gravel bike" running ~40mm tires. If you wife isn't a gluten for punishment, I'd strongly suggest something that will take MTB tires of 2.0 or bigger. I personally race gravel on a full suspension XC bike rather than my cross bike because it's just more fun and I'm fairly competitive on it unless it's a really smooth fast course. Racing the mtb is a slog on smooth sections, but I can hang in a fast group in the draft (bike has full lockout) and them I'm inflicting the pain when we get to the rough stuff. Drop bars would be nice, but I don't think the bike holds me back otherwise. I think the future of gravel is larger tires and short travel suspension (at least in front) with drop bars.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bring up a good point on the chunky gravel. Depending on the area, gravel is completely different. My area is mainly crushed limestone and fairly smooth, you can almost get by with 25s if you can avoid the freshly laid gravel. Now 2 hours west of me the gravel is more like river rock. Boy that is much different and you want thicker tires. 2 hours north of me is pretty much iron ore.
Quote Reply

Prev Next