Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if we can improve the shape of the taped handlebars to gain those watts back.

Looking around the kids toys, my son's pokeball is exactly the same size as the area that I'd be looking to tape between the handlebars and is both rigid and light enough to not come apart / add significant weight. If I found a way to fasten half of it (so effectively a semi-circle shielding the bars), that'd be sure to be more aero than either the bars or tape? In my mind, I'm not increasing the frontal area, but the leading edge of the bike/rider system is now a more aero shape. Does that make sense?

If I could turn the hollow area into another bento box, then it wouldn't be pure fairing. Don't worry, I'll get him a new pokeball :)

Last edited by: timbasile: Nov 11, 22 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
Your sensor is severely interfering with what you're trying to measure. Any way you can mount it near a brake? Keep taping further below and then add a "behind the arms" bottle like Sam. As I've said, when you close up the front you get rid of interference drag at the cost of pressure drag. Getting rid of interference drag does not necessarily reduce total net drag on its own. Now pressure drag is simple to deal with, just fill the low pressure zone in the back, with anything. Sam had a bottle there, but you can add stuff to make it better; gels, a taped up bag with your tools/flat kit, anything goes. Bento box is good too and while you're a it stuff a bottle down your jersey placed longitudinally with the flow.

All for science.

How is this ?

Next test. Pokeball

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please let us know what you find

I did this about 5 years ago in a whim

It holds the wahoo and some gels stick nicely to the adhesive

Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 11, 22 17:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

As for placing it on the brake, placing these devices offset to one side or another leads to poor measurement in yaw conditions.

There are pros and cons of several positions as people that have tried placing it on the basebar and a pole two feet out have discovered.

Raises hand. I have done both. Issue is the super long pole gave really bad tire flex CRR data in the Notio files from the pole bouncing on bumps. Also, it had a tendency to skew as it is so long and not stiff.

On one side, I see for sure that the sensor is affected by what side the yaw wind comes from.

I shortened my out front of the brake pole to a foot instead of like 30 inches and it is better. But, I now choose roads and days being aware of the issue.

I have thought of maybe making a threaded skewer piece that is big enough you could clamp an aero sensor to that longer wheel skewer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that wd40 on ur top tube ? ā€¦. I have questions ā€¦šŸ¤£
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for moving the sensor out of the way. Hope you didn't get much side winds. Thanks for doing a better tape job as well. So what's the number at this point?

Good. Now, when someone takes measures to reduce interference drag to the extreme, they invariably do so at the cost of pressure drag. There is no free lunch, the only hope is that you can take actions that fixes more pressure drag issues than fixing interference drag issues created in the first place. Otherwise don't bother. So, for this to work your forearms will have to get closer (they'll pretty much have to touch) and you'll need to have a bottle above them that goes right under your chin.

The wd40 can is funny as all hell. At least the back leaves a clean break for flow separation so you know what, leave it! Actually, laugh all you want but can you tape another one above it? And really you should go at least two deep on the top tube if you stack cans on the first row. I'm not joking. Make sure it's a low yaw day; cylinders are the worst.

Honestly, if you just want to investigate interference cockpit drag, which is what I wanted to talk about in the first place, start with your extensions and pads super wide (4 biceps width), then bring them closer together until they touch and then you shall see drag go from x to x+ and then to x-. If anything gets tested out of my post, I hope it's this last paragraph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soā€¦the results. A few caveats at the endā€¦.

A super large data sample of 10 tests šŸ˜Š 10x5km

All testing was done along the Ottawa River. Itā€™s a 2.5km out and back. Good bike lane, medium-rough roads. We do measure road vibration but in this case did not correct for it. Some traffic, nothing crazy. I used a road helmet.

I am not a small guy at 80kg.

In the tunnel, I typically tested .003 from run to run with no changes.

I typically get very consistent results from day to day after I compensate CRR for temperature as the day progresses. The two days were within 2deg C of each other. I chose two jerseys I know test almost identically. The ability to get consistent numbers day to day is something I find important.

Day 1 was a per my first set of pics, Day 2 was to get closer to your suggestions. I did not have a Bento. I thought I had a water bottle but only had the WD40 and a 4x500ml Sapporo cans. The beer cans were flat at both ends so I went for the WD40.

I normally do something like a AA-BBB-A, often throw out the first test. So for the first day I show A-BBB-A. For the second day, I wanted to leave B setup, so I did AAA-BBB, and throw out the first A.

Day 1

Day 2

The first thing you notice is A and B from day 1 are pretty consistent with day 2. Within my .003 anyways. They are also very consistent with my results from hundreds of tests. I was happy to confirm the placement of the sensor did not impact differently than day 2.

I hesitated to put the sensor on the side because I know it is more impacted by yaw and itā€™s not great when you need to brake. Wind on day 2 was slightly less and lower yaw so it was ā€˜okā€™. You can see in the underlying data that it is more asymmetrical, but still I have good confidence in the number. We can talk about this a little more later.

While the difference between A and B is small, the pattern are pretty consistent.

The slowest runs were B and they were quite consistent.

A is not taped, B is taped

I suspect that if I did a better job of taping, I would probably get a tie (for me...more later). It also increases my confidence that if I got the fancy pants armrests that cover more my arm I would not lose from an aero perspective and would gain from a comfort perspective.

Iā€™ll bring your attention to the red and green line. Green is an elevation using a high precision barometer. You get atmospheric pressure drift, a bit of noise from passing cars. Itā€™s useable but brings in noise and error. In red is a corrected elevation. Correction is done with fusion of multiple signals from a IMU. The reason you want to keep the device nice and stable is to get good IMU values that will result in better altitude. Perch the device way out in front and as BurnTheSheep has said, you get it bouncing around and introducing error. You will get +2points benefit in airspeed signal quality and -8 in elevation quality. If you are on 0 elevation, silky smooth velodrome, you donā€™t get the -8, so by all means take the +2. The ultimate sultion is out in clean air and a very stable sensor. But one point you have to look at cost/benefit and value of getting good data by just strapping something on and going for a ride.

To your comments on testing at race pace, I personally test at a pace I can do for a long time. You introduce more error with fatique than the aero difference between 36 and 40km/h. Testing at 40 vs 36 does little for yaw challenges. We measure it, report it and take it into consideration. I confirmed yaw in the position we tried was ā€œokā€ for this ride. I was actually lucky, yaw was lower than typical.

First of all let me say these numbers could probably be quite different on someone else and just emphasize the need for each person to test. For example, I am one if the few people where wider pads are a benefit and NOT because of head position. What I have experimented many times is some air flow under the arms around the chest seems to help. We also use IMUs on the body to look at other changes that may have occurred with a change. If Sam tested he probably got very different numbers than me.

I "think" you are in the same neck of the woods as me. We got a surprise two days of riding in Novembers. Snow Flurries forecasted for Sunday, so changes are I cannot test the Sapporo cans as a source of hydration. I will have to ship devices elsewhere for more testing. But it was fun to do and needed to test a few other things.
Last edited by: marcag: Nov 12, 22 5:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

What "factor" are you using? Or is that not a Notio? That CdA seems pretty high. I know we're after "what is better than what", but still. Upper 250's?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
marcag wrote:

What "factor" are you using? Or is that not a Notio? That CdA seems pretty high. I know we're after "what is better than what", but still. Upper 250's?

It's not a Notio.

Road helmet, road clothes, IM type position. It matches what has been measured at A2.

We could have a whole other conversation on realistic CDAs. Underestimating CDA is the new overestimating FTPs :-)
Last edited by: marcag: Nov 12, 22 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
marcag wrote:

It's not a Notio.

Road helmet, road clothes, IM type position. It matches what has been measured at A2.

We could have a whole other conversation on realistic CDAs. Underestimating CDA is the new overestimating FTPs :-)

I usually run laps thru aeroweenie calculator for a sanity check after. Numbers dont generate wins, winning does.

How would you say you prefer this device?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't thank you enough for playing along. Yes, I'm two hours east of you. We've been very fortunate with the season, but we're indeed done now.

I think we can all agree that we can't do things in isolation and expect results to be the same for everyone as we are all intricate aerodynamic systems, each with their own specific print of vortices, separation bubbles and resulting pressure maps.

But I am also convinced that we need to follow logical pathways to thoroughly investigate and test ideas in an informed way. Testing without understanding undeniably leads to missed opportunities. Sometimes, you need to do C as well for B to be faster than A. It's physics, there are rules, we just don't understand them all, but when we do, we can make predictions.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
I can't thank you enough for playing along. Yes, I'm two hours east of you. We've been very fortunate with the season, but we're indeed done now.

I think we can all agree that we can't do things in isolation and expect results to be the same for everyone as we are all intricate aerodynamic systems, each with their own specific print of vortices, separation bubbles and resulting pressure maps.

But I am also convinced that we need to follow logical pathways to thoroughly investigate and test ideas in an informed way. Testing without understanding undeniably leads to missed opportunities. Sometimes, you need to do C as well for B to be faster than A. It's physics, there are rules, we just don't understand them all, but when we do, we can make predictions.

Thanks again

Absolutely agree. Had I strapped on the aero helmet, the skinsuit, deep wheels, CDA would have dropped to .22 which is what I measure at the Thursday night TTs. Maybe/probably the result would have been different.

Only one way to find out. People need to test. We'll have to test at CGV one day. I test there a fair amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know when you come up next year. I have a couple things to put together over the winter, but I'll put my pride where my mouth is and say you'll test me sub 0.185 at 6'3" ;). Mind you I'm 160 pounds and blessed with the shoulders of a contortionist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressive!

Would you mind posting a picture or 2?

I understand it is all individual but it could help some of us who donā€™t do wind tunnel testing nor aero testing
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm putting my neck out there so I better deliver. The baseline position below is 40.5khm @ 206w over two hours. Note that my cockpit is closed off. Not with tape like Sam, but with an xlab torpedo. There is still a lot I know I can do to improve. Of note right now is my head might only be 55cm around, but this helmet is a 59-62cm size large Drone. My shoulder width in aero position is also only 36cm wide (take your position and squeeze open a door to measure) this is the same width as my hips. I'm tall, but at least I'm narrow to boot.

The below is what I have planned. There are two stages. Stage one is stuff that's going on quickly and easily. My forearms are touching right now. So in the gap under the chin and between the biceps there is a second torpedo going in. I'll have that set up next week. Right above this will be a suit chest insert. I have the foam to make it already, I just need to shape it. Turbulator tape will be aptly placed on thighs. A small bit of it in the middle of the back as well, but not extending much to the sides as flow really stays attached way back on the flexed leg side and alternates as you pedal. I'm switching to shoes covers for optimal speed TTs. These will have turbulator tape on the lower leg as my aero coach flow guards, but I'll add slight calf foam inserts, as well as heel inserts to mimic Bont Cronos.

Stage two starts behind the stem. The idea is to make a bag out of old skinsuit ribbed aero fabric. It will attach to the velcro under my armpads, stretch over the stem and will taper off to the width of the top tube. My thinking is to have a simple L braket that will hold the back and bottom in place and have the rest stretch naturally to the armpads. If that works fine I'll sew in a zipper to use it as a bento. The final piece, which is the least likely to happen, but which probably holds most of the potential is kind of an xlab aeropouch 300 on steroids. Something quite a bit wider, tapered off properly, that can hold two bottles and which ends as a truncated boat tail. If I can't make that work I'll most likely have nothing back there, or maybe only a single bottle at a 25 degree angle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

how do you confirm your changes are working or not ? Chung method ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not a good answer, but I don't. I just get faster on the same watts year over year. I attribute it to years of obsessive reading of published papers across fields and a knack for spacial visualization and logical extrapolation. I agree testing would be best, but I just enjoy reading and simply riding my bike fast more often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Soā€¦the results. A few caveats at the endā€¦.

A super large data sample of 10 tests šŸ˜Š 10x5km

All testing was done along the Ottawa River. Itā€™s a 2.5km out and back. Good bike lane, medium-rough roads. We do measure road vibration but in this case did not correct for it. Some traffic, nothing crazy. I used a road helmet.

I am not a small guy at 80kg.

In the tunnel, I typically tested .003 from run to run with no changes.

I typically get very consistent results from day to day after I compensate CRR for temperature as the day progresses. The two days were within 2deg C of each other. I chose two jerseys I know test almost identically. The ability to get consistent numbers day to day is something I find important.

Day 1 was a per my first set of pics, Day 2 was to get closer to your suggestions. I did not have a Bento. I thought I had a water bottle but only had the WD40 and a 4x500ml Sapporo cans. The beer cans were flat at both ends so I went for the WD40.

I normally do something like a AA-BBB-A, often throw out the first test. So for the first day I show A-BBB-A. For the second day, I wanted to leave B setup, so I did AAA-BBB, and throw out the first A.

Day 1

Day 2

The first thing you notice is A and B from day 1 are pretty consistent with day 2. Within my .003 anyways. They are also very consistent with my results from hundreds of tests. I was happy to confirm the placement of the sensor did not impact differently than day 2.

I hesitated to put the sensor on the side because I know it is more impacted by yaw and itā€™s not great when you need to brake. Wind on day 2 was slightly less and lower yaw so it was ā€˜okā€™. You can see in the underlying data that it is more asymmetrical, but still I have good confidence in the number. We can talk about this a little more later.

While the difference between A and B is small, the pattern are pretty consistent.

The slowest runs were B and they were quite consistent.

A is not taped, B is taped

I suspect that if I did a better job of taping, I would probably get a tie (for me...more later). It also increases my confidence that if I got the fancy pants armrests that cover more my arm I would not lose from an aero perspective and would gain from a comfort perspective.

Iā€™ll bring your attention to the red and green line. Green is an elevation using a high precision barometer. You get atmospheric pressure drift, a bit of noise from passing cars. Itā€™s useable but brings in noise and error. In red is a corrected elevation. Correction is done with fusion of multiple signals from a IMU. The reason you want to keep the device nice and stable is to get good IMU values that will result in better altitude. Perch the device way out in front and as BurnTheSheep has said, you get it bouncing around and introducing error. You will get +2points benefit in airspeed signal quality and -8 in elevation quality. If you are on 0 elevation, silky smooth velodrome, you donā€™t get the -8, so by all means take the +2. The ultimate sultion is out in clean air and a very stable sensor. But one point you have to look at cost/benefit and value of getting good data by just strapping something on and going for a ride.

To your comments on testing at race pace, I personally test at a pace I can do for a long time. You introduce more error with fatique than the aero difference between 36 and 40km/h. Testing at 40 vs 36 does little for yaw challenges. We measure it, report it and take it into consideration. I confirmed yaw in the position we tried was ā€œokā€ for this ride. I was actually lucky, yaw was lower than typical.

First of all let me say these numbers could probably be quite different on someone else and just emphasize the need for each person to test. For example, I am one if the few people where wider pads are a benefit and NOT because of head position. What I have experimented many times is some air flow under the arms around the chest seems to help. We also use IMUs on the body to look at other changes that may have occurred with a change. If Sam tested he probably got very different numbers than me.

I "think" you are in the same neck of the woods as me. We got a surprise two days of riding in Novembers. Snow Flurries forecasted for Sunday, so changes are I cannot test the Sapporo cans as a source of hydration. I will have to ship devices elsewhere for more testing. But it was fun to do and needed to test a few other things.

I finally got around to doing a similar test (no WD40 can, but did have a Bento). I used electrical tape, and wrapped (accept this may not be optimised). Overall my results seem similar to Marc's - taped seems to be consistently slower. This was on a outdoor velodrome, I did runs of AABBAABB, where A was taped.

Delta between A and B was about 0.008 (probably 5 or 6 watts) in favour of B.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [ryinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryinc wrote:

I finally got around to doing a similar test (no WD40 can, but did have a Bento). I used electrical tape, and wrapped (accept this may not be optimised). Overall my results seem similar to Marc's - taped seems to be consistently slower. This was on a outdoor velodrome, I did runs of AABBAABB, where A was taped.

I suspect it only works if you have a moto up ahead :-)

But seriously, thanks for the test. I am sure it was cleaner than my setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
ryinc wrote:

Wouldn't something with that much area like the tape probably be pretty yaw/speed dependent. I'm guessing Sam was riding a lot faster than we likely test at. Which would reduce the yaw angle.

Also, what tilt was this tested at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
marcag wrote:
ryinc wrote:

Wouldn't something with that much area like the tape probably be pretty yaw/speed dependent. I'm guessing Sam was riding a lot faster than we likely test at. Which would reduce the yaw angle.

Also, what tilt was this tested at?

Not sure about Ryan, but I have a fair amount of tilt. I would have to measure but 15-20ish deg.....

I did try at low yaw. I was concerned about putting the sensor on the side so kept an eye on yaw and it was low

Maybe Sam tested this. I don't know.

But he wouldn't be the first to do it based on "I think this is faster and I know a guy who's aero eyeball says it's faster, because even without a wind tunnel he can see the invisible turbulence and do mental CFD in his head, just like multiplication and division".

Maybe it works for some, in some conditions. But unless you test you could be adding a few watts thinking you will save a few.
Last edited by: marcag: Jan 23, 23 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Test was about 40km/h (very slow velodrome surface) so yes im sure Sam is faster.

Tilt is about 15 degrees, I'd guess.

There was not much wind so expect yaw was low, but yes sure it could make a difference.

The other thing I noticed was that it brought the extensions slightly together - I was expecting it was going to be faster because of this alone but turned out not.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 It occurred to me that there's no need for all the sticky stuff. This is an old compression sock, which is probably not very aero, but I'm sure there's a material that would be have good aero qualities. Something elastic. Smooth or maybe even a stretch sock with vert ribs. I might try it out...come spring. The elastic band is my version of a BTA bottle mount. Works quite well.

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the thinking on textured surfaces - if fabric is generally considered faster than smooth for some shapes (non-airfoil?), then why are we using a smooth surface (eletrical tape) for a lot of what we do?

A compression sock, if pulled tight could work - but I was also thinking of Hockey Tape, since its slightly textured. Though it generally isn't as sticky as electrical tape and tends to bunch up after many uses so it might be single-use application.
Last edited by: timbasile: Jan 24, 23 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's always an old arm sleeve as an option as well, definitely aero material. I tried the tape route last year and there were a couple of problems. First, if you sweat the tape get's pretty ugly, you can't put anything down there, like a gel pack. But the fabric wicks and you can fold back the extra length to make a pocket. When it stops blooming snowing here I'll give it a try.
Quote Reply

Prev Next