Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recognize which aero extension and arm rests Sam used in Kona?
His arm rests directly mounted on extensions, I think it's a good way to extend reach on small bike frame,
I found some similar product such as profile design J2 bracket, 3T extension clamps on basebar but not exactly what he used and all of them are not available on the market.
Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [gravady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure they are just standard bars and pads with a good Ol fashion electrical tape mod
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Profile Design, modified at the Trek custom shop

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [Stickman17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stickman17 wrote:
Pretty sure they are just standard bars and pads with a good Ol fashion electrical tape mod

Yes but just can't find the model for arm rest bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Profile Design, modified at the Trek custom shop

I think the aero extension model is probably Profile Design 35a,
the arm rests bracket looks very neat and fit, not matching anyone on the PD catalog...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gravady wrote:
Can anyone recognize which aero extension and arm rests Sam used in Kona?
His arm rests directly mounted on extensions, I think it's a good way to extend reach on small bike frame,
I found some similar product such as profile design J2 bracket, 3T extension clamps on basebar but not exactly what he used and all of them are not available on the market.
Thanks for your help.

Speaking of his bike. Listened to his “How they Train” podcast and he is currently testing several bikes to see which is fastest before he signs a new bike contract.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be the adjustable Watt Shop risers. 5-20 degrees all on one riser, no "specific" 5 only, or 10 only, etc risers, you could do 12 degrees if you want. I have them on my bar. Can't confirm these are Watt Shop because it's not a close enough photo. I have 3T Brezza bars with Revolver cups...so they are like a universal type thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suprised trek just don’t throw him a bone here
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

Is/was he sponsored by Trek? I don't think he is.

If so, was he a top contender in Kona? I'm not surprised they didn't spend 20k on a custom setup for him. Surely he will get one Long with a bike sponsor now that he's proven himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a comment from him (I think it was Instagram) that it is the profile design 35a 400mm extensions. I don't know what those elbow pads are or how they are attached...

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [Cerpan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:
I've seen a comment from him (I think it was Instagram) that it is the profile design 35a 400mm extensions. I don't know what those elbow pads are or how they are attached...

Haha I am correct !
but still a mystery about his arm rests bracket ...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
It may be the adjustable Watt Shop risers. 5-20 degrees all on one riser, no "specific" 5 only, or 10 only, etc risers, you could do 12 degrees if you want. I have them on my bar. Can't confirm these are Watt Shop because it's not a close enough photo. I have 3T Brezza bars with Revolver cups...so they are like a universal type thing.

Wow this is really good stuff, 5-20 adjusable riser, nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
He was in Koblenz last week, which I assume was a visit to the Canyon HQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not another canyon noooooo

Wonder if trek had a chat to him at all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koblenz is a nice spot for a weekend vacation, but the chance he was there for anything other than Canyon is pretty small.

Discussions don't mean he's signing though.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

Is/was he sponsored by Trek? I don't think he is.

If so, was he a top contender in Kona? I'm not surprised they didn't spend 20k on a custom setup for him. Surely he will get one Long with a bike sponsor now that he's proven himself.

I can't speak to his previous sponsorship situation, but Trek wasn't on his jersey, and he wasn't expected to do so well at Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

He was in Koblenz last week, which I assume was a visit to the Canyon HQ.

He’s definitely making the rounds, but I imagine the dollars will be similar so I truly think he’s going to go with the fastest bike for him. With the money you can win from PTO races might see more pros go with the best equipment for them and not just chase every last sponsorship dollar.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
He’s definitely making the rounds, but I imagine the dollars will be similar so I truly think he’s going to go with the fastest bike for him. With the money you can win from PTO races might see more pros go with the best equipment for them and not just chase every last sponsorship dollar.
I believe Sam said he's had several offers, but will go with the one with the best bike (for him), not necessarily the best financial package. I imagine he'll be doing OK on the sponsorship front after Kona (and with the PTO money), so don't think it'll be a money-grab for Sam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the idea behind taping together the separate arm rests into one mega arm rest?

Is it that if you do so, you're blocking the wind in front of your arms? I could see if the new structure was shaped to cut the wind, but that new structure (flat bar, sloped slightly downward) doesn't seem too aero on its own. You'd figure that he should continue the tape all the way down past the arm pads. Though at some point, wouldn't it be better to have your arms cutting the wind?

I would assume he's tested it though.
Last edited by: timbasile: Nov 7, 22 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I would assume he's tested it though.

My understanding is he had not.

Last edited by: fredly: Nov 7, 22 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gaps are messy. It's about interference drag. As two parallel objects relative to the fluid through which they are moving get closer, overall drag increases above the sum of the individual objects' pressure drag up until the point where both objects start to behave as a single object. In other words, large gaps are fine, small gaps are too, and then there's a sour spot in between.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
Gaps are messy. It's about interference drag. As two parallel objects relative to the fluid through which they are moving get closer, overall drag increases above the sum of the individual objects' pressure drag up until the point where both objects start to behave as a single object. In other words, large gaps are fine, small gaps are too, and then there's a sour spot in between.

Is there a rule of thumb when a gap becomes small enough that for example the two forearms of a TT cyclist behave like one object?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow aero extension and arm rests [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:

Thanks! That makes sense in my mind. I hadn't considered though that typical aero-bars would fall into the sour spot.

In that case, if I'm running the bars below on a 2021 Speed Concept, tilted at 15 degrees, general aero principles would suggest that I fill in my bars as well?
Or, at least as far high up as I can to still grip the bars. All the better if I can wedge something in (like a piece of foam?) so that the leading edge is shaped more conical? Maybe I can design it with a small pocket so I can call it a gel-holder or something, so its not purely a fairing.

Last edited by: timbasile: Nov 8, 22 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Omg
What a lousy diy
At least he woul tape it nicely.
But i dont belive that this "sail" is more aero that two separate holder extensions... i just dont
Quote Reply

Prev Next