Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running in compression socks [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BeeHunter wrote:
In Reply To:

The Compression Socks mean a widening of your two lane highway into a four lane freeway.

How can you widen something by compressing it?

It's probably not a perfect analogy. To me it might seem more like going from a 4 lane with obstructions at intervals, that slow the overall flow, to an unobstructed 4 lane.

Not sure how relevant it is but what do you do when you squeeze too much toothpaste out? I squeeze the tube in a way that sucks it back in, widen the tube by squeezing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear compression socks everyday (under my paints) as normal socks. They make a difference to me at the end of the day in terms of how my legs feel. I never actually run in compression socks because I sweat a ton and hate having socks hiked to my knees while running. Otherwise, compression socks substituting as socks are great. Do I receive any benefits from wearing them? Who knows? I think they help. I fly a bunch for work and always wear them while traveling.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It occurred to me that 500 runners are probably right, not to use additional equipment that shows to advantage for their conditioning, level of athleticism and age.
These are elite runners most of whom weigh less than my left leg.

On the other hand a quick look at last years Kona entries shows the biggest age groups start above age 35, all the way up to my ancient level. In fact there were more finishers in the Mens 65-69 AG than finished the race in the Mens Pro ranks.

So the questions and answers around the use of compression equipment should really start with whether studies have been done with age groups, weight levels and fitness/athletic ability. Maybe those have been done and I missed the plot.

But all too often the discussion on here are about elite performers, their training methods, their equipment and their results, which are, in the main, not relatable to even the top end age group performers. And that's fine and interesting, but no always germane to the question, will it help some old fart (like me).

And yes I know that that top AG performers do end up in the results columns, but usually as a prelude to going Pro or because they were once elite athletes and will always be above the pack. Once again they are elite athletes who weigh less than my left leg, with or without a compression sock on.....:0)
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some on a whim and wore them last weekend for the first time - on a 10 hour hike. I don't know if they did any good - I've never had a problem with my calves - I felt fine the next day though. The biggest advantage was that they kept me from getting sunburnt.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [yaprr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yaprr wrote:
I have not used the full sock yet ...only the 2XU calf guards. I suffered a partial tear of my right calf about 6 weeks ago and decided to try the calf guards (based on Steve Larsens' (RIP) write-up) for extra support.

I have used them on long runs, track workouts, and for a recent oly race and have run without any discomfort. The usual post-race soreness was no longer there. I plan on trying some recovery tights soon.

IMO, based on whatever snake-oil science is out there, these things work and I will continue to use them regardless of the high geekiness factor.

I also bought them after a small calf tear for recovery. And I also had them afterwards as a hope that it prevents another tear.
Anyway, there should be some effect at least in the medical world, see post #46.

I also wear them on the bike because of proven aero-reasons. In a triathlon, they then automatically stay on my legs for the run.

I have CEP compression socks and I must support the professional CEP poster in post #47, but not because of the silly 5% faster argument, but because they are of excellent quality. You can wash them a thousend times and they still "compress" and not wear out.
Contrarily to 2XU which I also had, and through the tissue of which which my fingers penetrated during putting them on after one time washing. So if you ever decide to buy some, buy CEP and not 2XU.
Quote Reply

Prev Next