Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running in compression socks
Quote | Reply
Just started running in Zoots. Can't say whether it makes a difference or not. It looks pretty queer to be running in "knee socks"(sort of retro tube sock look), but I like the feel of the compression on my legs. Any one else run in these on a regular basis and what are your impressions?
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it does look queer, if i thought it actually helped id still wear them during training.

if there is actually any benefit to them, it would probably be recovery only.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [nproximos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

if there is actually any benefit to them, it would probably be recovery only.
This should help:
How Compression Sport Socks work:
Imagine this: Your leg is a two lane highway with little to medium traffic at rest. Now you're racing or training hard which equals rush hour. The result: traffic jams, delays in arrival and return. Major lactate acid build up resembles new construction sites....it will only get worse from here.
The Compression Socks mean a widening of your two lane highway into a four lane freeway. Workloads of high intensity training, long durations and racing are now able to move without being held up. Traffic aka oxygenated blood gets all the way into the foot, lactate acid can be transported out at the same time without major delays. As a result, you will be able to work longer, harder, faster and get back to it earlier!

Sebastian
SLS3
http://slstri.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [sls3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now, imagine this:

You take an analogy, which is a simplistic way of explaining something without having
to worry about accuracy, and apply it to a technology.

As a result, the internet is just a bunch of pipes. And ball bearings. It's all
ball bearings nowadays.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've yet to see *any* peer-reviewed or otherwise reputable study that shows that compressions socks have any benefit at all while running.

Outside of after-workout recovery, it's just snake oil.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [tyson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I did not save the link, but about a year ago Runner's World publicized a peer reviewed study that showed a small but statistically significant benefit for running in compression socks. It was something like 1% over a 5k.

I love compression socks but take vast amounts of grief from my friends for wearing them.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [pcombs22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Unfortunately, I did not save the link, but about a year ago Runner's World publicized a peer reviewed study that showed a small but statistically significant benefit for running in compression socks. It was something like 1% over a 5k.

I love compression socks but take vast amounts of grief from my friends for wearing them.

And yet I haven't seen any of the elite runners around the world running in them. I would think that the socks would help them most of all. a 1% increase for an elite marathoner would be HUGE
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that if they really helped 1% it would be huge and all of the runners at the olympics would wear them (just like the Lazer suit in swimming). I think Paula Radcliffe ran in them, but I haven't seen any elite male marathoners running with them (usually just middle aged broken down triathletes!)

Still, that's what the article said, that's the only thing I ever seen quantifying the difference. I really, really wished I had saved the link because this topic comes up about every 2 months on ST, but I didn't.

Hopefully, someone with good Google-fu can find it and then all the ST vultures can explain why its authors are idiots (but never do any attempt to scientifically study the issue themselves).
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [pcombs22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it offer any convincing explanations as to why it wouldn't be attributed to a placebo effect?

Also: http://runningtimes.com/...aspx?ArticleID=13830

And: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17365528
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed. A 1% improvement in running speed would equate to a 2:02:46 marathon world record for Halle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, I am not enough of a statistician to know. I wear them for one reason only--they help prevent a recurrence of a persistent, painful cramp I get I sometimes get in my left soleus. So whether they do/don;t present a performance benefit I'll keep wearing them and keep looking dorky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
youre not explaining the mechanism of action.

when a person is running, their skeletal muscle pump is in action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We are supposed to believe that by applying compression to your calves, that somehow this improves circulation changing a "two lane highway into a four lane freeway". The supply and return is separate so where is the congestion coming from?

How is compressing [in other words squeezing fluid out of the cells] improving circulation. If anything you are restricting blood flow to your extremities which will have exactly the opposite effect to what you are describing.

If you want to use a very simple analogy, it is like tying an elastic band around your finger.

I may be totally wrong, [although I don't think so] but to me this is nothing more than a fad. What makes it really bad is that it makes half decent runners look extremely gay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know that elite athletes don't always choose the best equipment or make the best training choices.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    You can see Joe Friel's post over at trainingpeaks. He isn't recommending them yet after reviewing the lit.

I have several pair of them, and they don't improve my run or bike times. My legs actually start to feel sluggish after a period. I played around with them for a bit and planned to do a few studies with them. They do decrease some of the crankles post ultrarace, just like medical compression socks.

I and many others have been researching them for awhile, but we have yet to come across a bonafide well done study pointing to improved performace in athletes. Yes, an elite marathon runner was sponsored by a sock manufacturer.

There are many "implications" that they improve venous outflow and thus rid the lower leg of "lactic acid", but this is inference from well done studies on patients with pathologic varicosities. In that setting, they DO improve venous outflow in the pathologic vein. Unfortunately, we can't apply these studies to normal venous flow.
So, the verdict is still out. I believe it's possible for someone develop a sock that augments venous return in athletes.

In the meantime, anyone can order them and see what happens to their times. They do feel nice wearing them.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you know that elite athletes don't always choose the best equipment or make the best training choices.

I think I am pretty safe saying elite marathoners chose the correct equipment....running shoes...done. :)
If you are talking about Elite triathletes who seem to get caught up in the latest fads just as much as the age groupers do, I think you are correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that the definitely help when running hills, but mostly I use them for recovery (a big help w/shin splints).

Here's a quick write-up I did on my first run in them: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0wildflower;#2285192

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've yet to see *any* peer-reviewed or otherwise reputable study that shows that compressions socks have any benefit at all while running.

Outside of after-workout recovery, it's just snake oil.
+1.

And I can't believe anyone would actually publish that analogy posted before. False analogies indicate that someone doesn't actually understand what he's talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shoes, as long as they are from the right sponsor.... theirs!

again, I don't think we should assume pro athletes know what they are doing. Sometimes they are amazing in spite of what they are doing. They've got the engines.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
shoes, as long as they are from the right sponsor.... theirs!

again, I don't think we should assume pro athletes know what they are doing. Sometimes they are amazing in spite of what they are doing. They've got the engines.

Exactly! What really floors me are pros who give dubious advice as though we should be following it. I know it drives magazine and website profit, but I'll never forget a certain legend going on about fueling and in the same article stating his stomach only ever felt comfortable in one of his many IM races. I remember thinking, Jesus, are you listening to yourself?! Yeah, you succeeded in spite of yourself, but that doesn't mean others should follow your model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in compression socks on my long runs over 13 miles. Don't believe in the venous return stuff, but they do seem to stop my calves from jiggling around during a 20 mile run.
Seems less sore during run if I wear them. Probably will not wear them at lake placid, especially if it is hot that day. I struggle in the heat as it is. Plus I don't want to look like a total geek when I cross the finish line!
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [toothpuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the same experience with the jiggling thing, I've got fairly large calves.

I do believe in the venous return stuff though, I had my doubts at first but my legs feel so much better after wearing them after longer workouts.

I also agree with the looking like a total geek thing too :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Compression socks/stockings have been used in the medical field for years to promote circulation. I don't know how their use in the medical field translates to running, but us triathletes are acting like compression socks are some new found invention.

2. It cracks me up to hear a bunch of guys who run around in spandex talk about knee high socks looking geeky or queer. For real, have you looked at us lately. We are not as cool as we might think.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [TTULaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said I don't want to look like a TOTAL geek , I already know I look like a partial geek!
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression socks [TTULaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Is circulation a limiter in sub-LT running? Or above LT, for that matter?

2. I don't know about you, but I don't train in my race uniform…
Quote Reply

Prev Next