Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Road ID, Why? [Doitagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I miss read you post...
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear my Road ID everyday. I have 2, and I have one on all the time- just becomes like putting on my watch everyday.

I'm a single mom with a 4 year old at home. If something happens to me when I'm out training at any time, on the road or at the pool, the responders & hospital need to know how to contact my ex-husband. He's not at my address, nor my home phone- but he needs to make the decisions & go be with our child. (Or else the phone at home will ring and ring while I'm dying, the sitter doesn't answer my house phone)

It is important to the entire family that I do everything in my power to protect myself. I wear a helmet, and I wear my Road ID- they might not save my life, but they can certainly help extend it.

Re: Road ID, Why? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello jsoderman and All,

How long before humans will be routinely microchipped?

It could include a tattoo to make it stylish and alert ER to check it.

(A functional Mdot tattoo could present the information you suggested in a fashionable location)

"Come up to my place and you can see my Mdot tattoo and get to know me better"

Perhaps Homeland Security could get into the game ....... :)

However no forearm number tattoos! ..... :(

What would be the best location for the rice grain sized current chip?

Credit ID has been tested in the hand since you can easily scan your hand, and keep your credit card in your pocket.

http://public.homeagain.com/
Fact:
My pet wears a collar with tags, so he doesn’t need a microchip.

Fiction:
All pets should wear collar tags imprinted with their name and the phone number of their owner, but only a microchip provides permanent ID that cannot fall off, be removed, or become impossible to read.

Fact:
Microchips are expensive.

Fiction:
The average cost to have a microchip implanted by a veterinarian is around $45, which is a one–time fee and often includes registration in a pet recovery database.

If your pet was adopted from a shelter or purchased from a breeder, your pet may already have a microchip. Consult your pet adoption paperwork, or have your pet scanned for a microchip at your next vet visit to reveal the unique microchip ID number and register it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ochip_implant_(human)

A human microchip implant is an integrated circuit device or RFID transponder encased in silicate glass and implanted in the body of a human being.

A subdermal implant typically contains a unique ID number that can be linked to information contained in an external database, such as personal identification, medical history, medications, allergies, and contact information.

In 2002, the VeriChip Corporation (known as the "Positive ID Corporation" since November 2009) received preliminary approval from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to market its device in the U.S. within specific guidelines.

The device received FDA approval in 2004, and was marketed under the name VeriChip or VeriMed. In 2007, it was revealed that nearly identical implants had caused cancer in hundreds of laboratory animals.[5], a revelation that had a devastating impact on the company's stock price.

Some time between May and July 2010, the Positive ID Corporation discontinued marketing the implantable human microchip.[6]

According to some reports, in 2006 80 hospitals had agreed to own a VeriChip scanner provided by the company and 232 doctors had agreed to inject the devices into patients who requested them.[7]

However, the VeriChip Corporation/Applied Digital Solutions was sued by its shareholders for making "materially false and misleading statements" regarding hospital acceptance figures. According to Glancy & Binkow, the law firm that filed the class action suit:

While VeriChip appears to have failed the idea may still have merit down the road.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn! If I ever went through that with my husband I would be insane! Many a time I have worried during one of his late afternoon turning to dusk type rides. If something actually happened, especially something as serious as your accident..... Let's just say I know you had a hard time getting back on your bike - I seriously wonder how she was able to let you do it. I would have chained myself to the frame in protest! She is very brave

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All that seems very big brother to me, however it probably has some merits. Personally I don't think I would sign up for any sort of optional implantable device, especially if there was any sort of cancer risk. So to answer your question, while the technology is probably here or at least close (i.e. dog chips) I have a hard time seeing it taking off. I think for it to be practical, it would have to be adopted by the vast majority of hospitals/docs. Say you have your chip, you are on vacation and you end up at a hospital for whatever reason...and they don't have a chip reader. 80 hospitals is a tiny percentage of all the hospitals in the country.

What I think would be much more helpful I think would be a national medical record. People always say to me "Doc it's all in the computer..." No it really isn't...but that's way off topic...
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello jsoderman and All,

"What I think would be much more helpful I think would be a national medical record. ...................... but that's way off topic..."

Certainly not off topic (maybe beyond scope) - talkin' 'bout medical information and best practices to make it useful and save our ass when injured.

(Might be interesting to see how the military handlles the problem since they have a good deal of trauma.)

http://www.healthvault.com/...ords&rmproc=true

http://www.healthvault.com/...erview_master_02.pdf

Microsoft HealthVault- been there - done that! For individuals but ..............

On a national scale however .........................

From Wiki - looks like a sticky wicket and may take considerable time and funds to implement:

Critics point out that while EHRs may save the "health system" money, physicians, those who buy the systems, may not benefit financially. EHR price tags range widely, depending on what's included, how robust the system is, and how many providers use it. Asked what they paid in an online survey, about a third of respondents paid between $500 and $3,000 per physician. A third paid between $3,001 and $6,000, and 33 percent paid more than $6,000 per physician for their EHR.

[11] Physicians do tend to see at least short-term decreases in productivity as they implement an EHR. They spend more time entering data into an empty EHR than they used to spend updating a paper chart with a simple dictation.

Such hurdles can be overcome once the software has some data, as physicians learn to use templates for data entry, and as workflow in the practice changes, but not every practice gets that far.

Studies also call into question whether, in real life, EHRs improve quality.[12][13] 2009 produced several articles raising doubts about EHR benefits.[14][15][16] Costs
The steep price of EHR and provider uncertainty regarding the value they will derive from adoption in the form of return on investment has a significant influence on EHR adoption.[17] In a project initiated by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information (ONC), surveyors found that hospital administrators and physicians who had adopted EHR noted that any gains in efficiency were offset by reduced productivity as the technology was implemented, as well as the need to increase information technology staff to maintain the system.[17]

The U.S. Congressional Budget Office concluded that the cost savings may occur only in large integrated institutions like Kaiser Permanente, and not in small physician offices. They challenged the Rand Corp. estimates of savings. "Office-based physicians in particular may see no benefit if they purchase such a product—and may even suffer financial harm. Even though the use of health IT could generate cost savings for the health system at large that might offset the EHR's cost, many physicians might not be able to reduce their office expenses or increase their revenue sufficiently to pay for it. For example. the use of health IT could reduce the number of duplicated diagnostic tests. However, that improvement in efficiency would be unlikely to increase the income of many physicians." If a physician performs tests in the office, it might reduce his or her income. "Given the ease at which information can be exchanged between health IT systems, patients whose physicians use them may feel that their privacy is more at risk than if paper records were used."[18][19]

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great points Neal,
I know an ED director that went to an electronic medical record. He told me that as a dept, they see slightly less patients per hr (a common ED metric) BUT they were able to bill more per pt because their charts were better. All in all, they came out a bit ahead. We dictate our charts at my hospital, which is fast, but we may miss stuff that can be billed for (our coders usually pick that stuff up though.) It's frustrating when people go to multiple hospitals (either to try to get percocet, they just don't know better, or are from out of town) and it ends up impossible for us to get records, this leads to repeat testing etc. Probably not as much of an issue for a GP though since they have ongoing relationships with their patients, we dont'.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [lesson989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She how miserable I was not being on my bike. But yes, she is very brave. When I was in the hospital, it was much harder on her than on me. I was high as a kite on morphine. But there were rules when she let me start riding again - where, when, etc. I also always ride with a SPOT GPS transmitting my locale every 10min. So she can always check and see where I am.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But there were rules when she let me start riding again - where, when, etc. I also always ride with a SPOT GPS transmitting my locale every 10min. So she can always check and see where I am.

I am never marrying. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't run with a phone, so the Road ID works for me. Has contact info, insurance #, and blood type. Quick info wich may or may not help in an emergency.

KP

KP

"Make friends with pain and you will never be alone" Ken Chlouber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon h - you shared your this-is-important-enough-to-me-that-I-am-going-to-argue-it-for-four-pages opinion with us, so hopefully you don't mind that I share mine too.

Don't fucking buy one. I'm sure you realize it's not a law that you have to do so.

I am however curious why you have such a hard-on for the RoadID? Did your girlfriend/boyfriend leave you for someone who was wearing one? As a side note, I bet I could point out 100+ things in your house/apartment/tent/VWBug/wherever-the-heck-you-live that were not worth the money you spent on them.

I wear one a LOT. Anytime training, it's a given. Especially swimming (I rarely swim in pools).

I wear it when I go out drinking when I am out of town. And I do that a lot.

I put them on my kids (all under age 8) in case they get lost at disneyland or a football game or some related shit. Kids can get rattled pretty easily and not remember mommy & daddy's cell phone numbers.

Camping, surfing - why not? As long as the bear/shark leaves your ankle or wrist, the authorities will have a good idea of who you were.

Since I wear it in so many non-typical scenarios, I do get a lot of questions about it. I have never once said "to save my life". I always reply "To ID the body".

Oh, and one last thing, Jon H. If you change your mind, I would even be happy to buy one for you.

Merry kwanza, everybody!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one that my wife purchased for me - gives my birthdate, no allergies, and emergency contact numbers. When I got hit by a car in Tucson in May, my wife was at the emergency room when I arrived in the ambulance. The EMTs and Docs knew my age and that I'm not allergic to meds. The EMT also used it to get answers from me as I was unconscious for about 5 minutes. (What's your name, How old are you?) etc.

I also split my helmet in two up the back because I landed on my back and smacked my head on the pavement.

Very useful for family and for medical assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify to everyone that did not read the whole thread, I now understand why some of you buy one. There are some valid reasons! As I said earlier, I plan on fabricating some sort of ID for myself once the snow clears and I am back on the road.

To answer your question, why do I hate RoadID so much? I don't, but if anything I find it bothersome that it is an overpriced ($20 aint much, but still...) nametag with a bunch of doped up pro cyclists advocating it. That is off topic though.

This thread was me wondering why all of you buy it. That was answered.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also got pissed when I saw that the NBC Kona coverage had become a whore to RoadID last night. That prompted this thread!

http://www.youtube.com/...ture=player_embedded

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon h, we better not find out you are advocating that $1500+ cappuccino maker in the Lavender Room thread.

haha that was a joke. funny me!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I also got pissed when I saw that the NBC Kona coverage had become a whore to RoadID last night. That prompted this thread!

http://www.youtube.com/...ture=player_embedded

Cheers,
Well, congrats! You just got them a bunch more page views! haha

FTR, I'd hit it!

Last edited by: TeamBarenaked: Dec 15, 10 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it has to do with my husband traveling alot and many times cannot be contacted. I have mine set to call my neighbors and my mom if he is out of town. I always want someone who knows me to be there if questions arise on my care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing ST does not have a minimum IQ test or age limit before people can post, I do not think this post would ever have started. Does your mommy know you are on the computer?
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [bnhsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although it really hasn't been said specifically; the point is that to have some sort of ID that provides important (whatever that means to you) information in case of an accident.

Mine would say, "I have insurance... spare no expense!".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whoo hooo

just got my road id today

fits great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2, one wrist one with the velcro and an ankle one. I first bought the ankle version because I was at a race and they were using the ankle timing chips and instead of the nice neoprene ankle straps, they had those hard plastic bands (the kind they use when you go to a club and to indicate that you are over 21). That thing rubbed my ankle wrong and by the end of the race, I had a bunch of little cuts from it. I decided from that race on, I was going to use my own timing chip strap (if allowed) and that if I were going to purchase an ankle timing chip, I might as well get a Road ID one so I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Anyways, how could it actually help you? For one, both the ankle strap and wrist strap have some reflective properties sewn in, so that little extra visibility "could" possibly prevent a car from hitting you. Plus, on the wrist strap, I bought one of those little firefly supernova lights that I could attach onto it. I figured that would give me a lot more visibility to traffic and other pedestrians.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [brownnugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always just carry my business card in a Ziplock sandwich bag along with a few $$ bills and a few extra tire patches in my jersey pocket. Been doing it for 25+ years... (yet to need the ID, thankfully)

Biz card works great... unless I burst into flames, of course. Does anyone know, are Road ID's flame retardant?

And, if I meet a really cute girl... I can give her my business card! Wouldn't want to do that with a $20 Road ID!!
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [DrAloha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, if I meet a really cute girl... I can give her my business card! Wouldn't want to do that with a $20 Road ID!!

Yeah they have a different product for that...Rode ID

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if your phone is damaged beyond use when you are hit or when you crash?
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Scott_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the road id as convienence. I used to carry my phone and drivers license in a ziplock but that required me to remove my license from my wallet. Well one day I forgot to put it back in my wallet. That is also the day I was pulled over for speeding and did not have a drivers license. I think having some form of id is important whether it is a road id or a tatoo. The only thing that is going to save my life on the bike is that I expect every car I see to hit me and ride accordingly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next