Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Road ID, Why? [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a piece of notebook paper, write down all of your personal stats in a Sharpie permanent ink pen and get it laminated at your local CVS for $2.99 for 10 Copies.

Also get an AAA membership....they'll pick you up and give you a ride home for any mechanical you have on your bike.......just like a car!!

The Road ID Bracelet Is trending more towards fashion (Look at me!! i have a Road ID bracelet I am hardcore!!) and less towards practicality.

If Road ID had some sort of OnStar GPS data-chip technology (HINT + HINT!!) it would be cool. Short of that, it is a scam and is not anything you could not otherwise create for yourself for next to nothing.

Waste of money.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Last edited by: Mojozenmaster: Dec 14, 10 21:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the point is that to have some sort of ID that provides important (whatever that means to you) information in case of an accident

That is the thing, I cannot see, in my case specifically, what information I need conveyed to any emergency person other than 'Save me!'.

Don't take my thread the wrong way. I take cycling safety very seriously - I just don't see how it would help in an accident.

It doesn't help in an accident. It helps after the accident. You keep saying "I don't see how it can help save my life." In *general*, it cannot. As I said, it's summed up by their simple tagline - "it's who I am." Though really, it's who I am, who I want contacted in case something happens to me, and any other information that I might think is relevant in a single durable, simple package.

There is no information that needs to be conveyed to the emergency personnel other than save me. But there's information that emergency personnel might want to convey to someone of importance in your life, like let's say you were about to end up on life support, but you wanted DNR.

There is some information that you'd also put on a MedID that COULD save your life - like I just put my Coumadin Rx on there, instead of wearing a separate piece of id with it.

If you have no one who gives a shit about you and have nothing wrong with you, then don't buy a RoadID.

FYI, for Chip, my helmet did NOT come with me to the ER. It did, however make it to the police station. Whether or not it was too covered in blood to be legible even if I did write something inside of it is another story...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.my-911.com/

I have it. The software still needs some work. When i first got it, it tried to dial 911 from the "impact" of me putting my phone down on the table... But it's going in the right direction...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line is people working in the ER buy and recommend them because an ID doesnt provide much info for them beyond your name and address. Is it a necessity? No, just common courtesy. Are there cheaper options? Sure. Spending $20 on something that lasts for years is probably the cheapest investment most of us make in this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be able to go toe to toe with you on bike crashes ;-) not that it is a "good" thing. Somehow my helmet made it into the helicopter when I got flown in years ago. You and I were just as dead when we got to ED, your jugular was my C1, C2, C4, C5, both arms, shoulder, both wrists and on and on and multiple transfusions thanks to the many cuts, tears, and bites (dog).

I am not at all sure how the ED knew who to call as I know I did not have ID on me. I do know that mid air that the Helo found out where I was from and flew me to my home city as opposed to Iowa (that I am thankful for). At the end of the day, the first thing that any EMS system is going to do is SAVE YOUR LIFE. They do not care if you have insurance, if you dont, where you are from or any other thing - they are going to save the life of the victim. That is what is most important.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sound like you might have some sort of ties with Road ID. I would hope you would disclose them if that is the case.

In any event you are obviously not reading my posts. I have an ID from 14 years ago and it still looks brand new. The organ donor sticker still looks brand new. It is tried, tested, and proven. Does anyone have a Road ID from 14 years ago? I doubt that band - yes I have seen one and my roomate has one, would last that long. Looks likely to get snagged on something and potentially get ripped off, develop some funky odor or have something else happen to it. Honestly is there anything really wrong with a regular ID???

My ID has black lines on the back with which you can write additional info on. The ID has magnetic strip that stores info on it btw. There is a lot more info than just your name and address on your government ID btw. Why so much hate for the government ID?

I often work in the ER and I have never heard of anyone recommending them - they do suggest that if you are injured to at least try to do it between the hours of 8am -5 pm for best chance of survival.

I am glad you are acknowledging that there are cheaper options. But the fact of the matter is that as it stands there is not a real *need* for a Road ID. As it stands the feature set is too small. That is not to say they are not going to improve upon it but you are talking about spending money on something that is not necessary. An ID does just the same thing, you have tried to belittle the ID but what you fail to realize is the Road ID is the solution to a non-existent problem.

The method of thinking of only $20 is a flawed method of rationalization. Where does it end. $20 this, $30 to that, another $15 here. The point is everyone always has these throw-away numbers. And that is why some Americans are so poor. You are trying to make it sound like a deal. If ROAD_ID was really concerned about the welfare of people then they would be giving them away free. Why are they not?

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
"You can't fix stupid" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Folks, as Ron White said "You can't fix stupid"

Jon h is entitled to make his point that he doesn't think RoadID is worth the money.

Don't waste your time trying to counter his ad nauseum list of reasons of why you're wrong and he's right. Because, you can't fix stupid.

"on downhill bits I can sometimes attack without pedaling =)

it is the uphill bits that are hard though" Jackmott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought mine years ago. i bought it not for me, but for my then girlfriend, and my family. i like to train alone, and that includes those long rides. so, to be somewhat responsible to her, and to my out of state family, it made sense to have it. it's the same reason you tell your family that you are having surgery, JUST IN CASE something happens.

i still carry my state id, and insurance card, and cellphone when i ride. sometimes, i'll take my phone when i run as well, but it just makes ME feel better that i'm being responsible. once you have to account to someone else, you will understand why people are willing to part with $20 for "peace of mind".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not work for them. I have friends who work in the ER and encourage people because that little magnetic strip on a government ID doesnt quickly lead to contact info, especially on nights and weekends when most of us train. A company saw an opening to make a product at a price point some people are willing to spend for the convenience as opposed to other do it yourself methods. Its called capitalism. You obviously want to stay up late beating a dead horse, but i have sbr and work tomorrow and dont really see the point in arguing further.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Road ID felt like it, they could embrace some pretty cool and cutting edge technology on the cheap. As long as they remain stubborn to change there will be a new company with new technology that will cut them off at the knees in early 2011.

Guaranteed.

This is to say that if you cannot adapt to change, you will die by your failure to comprehend change and in the blink of an eye your competition will gain a significant market advantage........because you were too slow to react......over not paying attention

But there is no excuse for this........if you live by technology, you will die technology.

Take your eye off of the ball long enough.....you will pay.

Always seek to improve your product and always pay attention to your surroundings.

Keep your eyes and ears and minds open to what is coming next.......or to........what might hi-jack you brand next, because what is just around the corner, really is just around the corner.....

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so confused, first it is friends in the ER who recommended Road ID... Now they recommended it is because the little magnetic strip doesn't work. Have you ever been to the ER??? If you are in serious shape you go straight to a trauma center and likely the OR. People are not looking for contact info and calling loved ones, they are working on saving your life at the moment. My point is that your ID can have all the information of the Road ID and more, in a durable form of identification that can be relied upon by all parties, and that costs no additional monies.

Excuse me but I could not help but noticed your blog and something that really supported my last post. It seems like you have had some financial troubles over the past year and been out of work. It would seem that the monies your were spending on the cappuccinos so you could surf for employment could have been better spent in combination with the $20 saved by not buying the Road_ID and instead buying internet for a couple of months. You could have then found your job, paid back all the people who helped you out over the past year, and then offered a token of gratitude by buying them all a Road_ID ;)

In case you don't see, this is in support to my point exactly. People just spend money to spend money - they never think about it. Why buy a cappuccino when you could buy a coffee and save $1 or $2 per day or per cup. You are buying cappuccino's and asking for handouts at the same time so you can continue triathlon? Seems a little odd but all too common these days - the way people spend money, not the handouts for tri ;)

Many people get sucked into various sales pitches and end up getting closed on solutions to problems that do not exist. I am all in favor of capitalism, I am all in favor of competition. I'm not calling Road_ID a scam, but anyone who has been in sales knows a little about what I am talking about. Their ads titer on the bounds of my ethics. If Road_ID was oversought by the FDA then I'm sure the FDA would have fined them and made them change their marketing.

If people find value in Road_ID then by all means they should purchase it. But please don't belittle a perfectly good solution that already exists in everyone's back pocket - the good old Government ID. I hope your morning-latte was good - Cheers :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello electusunus and All,

"I often work in the ER and I have never heard of anyone recommending them - they do suggest that if you are injured to at least try to do it between the hours of 8am -5 pm for best chance of survival."

Why is that? ................ 0800 to 1700 for best chance?

I don't ride when it is dark unless I get caught out - flat or something unusual - but I have a friend that was training for Paris Brest Paris and rode all hours of the night and day - and crashed on a drain and broke his arm one sleepy night. I guess he got the bad hours at the ER.

I couldn't find an ER survival reference to time but found the following: (Bold emphasis added)

http://seniorliving.about.com/...a/emergency_room.htm

Some advance planning can make your emergency room visit safer and less costly.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10225282

OUTCOME MEASURES: Survival to leave the emergency department, survival to leave hospital.

RESULTS: There were 77 cardiac arrests occurring within the department, and of these 42 (55%) survived to be admitted to hospital. Forty-two arrests involved a rhythm of VT/VF with 81% of these arrests surviving to be admitted. Thirty-five patients had other cardiac rhythms of whom 23% survived to admission. Primarily cardiac causes of arrest occurred in 52 patients with a survival rate of 60%. Overall 33 patients (43%) survived to be discharged from hospital.

CONCLUSION: Survival from cardiac arrest is a useful measure of performance of an accident and emergency department.

It is a condition that has definite outcomes, and is easily auditable. Figures can be compared between departments by comparing cases with the same aetiology or arrest rhythm thus reducing the influence of cases with a poorer outcome. This would provide an additional indicator for comparison of departments other than those currently used. A national database of outcome of cardiac arrests could be created to allow valid comparisons between departments.

Unfallchirurg. 1998 Mar;101(3):160-75.

[Must the accident victim be protected from the emergency physician?].

[Article in German]

Regel G, Seekamp A, Pohlemann T, Schmidt U, Bauer H, Tscherne H.

Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover. Abstract
Quality control in preclinical medical care has become a matter of concern in recent years. In order to evaluate the quality of treatment one has to set standards. Most of the current standards were defined by different preclinical care organisations and are also accepted in the unique emergency medical care protocol used in the Federal Republic of Germany. Considering these standards, we retrospectively analyzed the preclinical treatment of all multiple trauma patients admitted to our department between 1985 and 1996. The major issues of this analysis were the diagnoses, the indications for invasive measures and the performance. Regarding the triage, for example, it was noted that 28% of patients who should have been admitted to a level I trauma center considering the severity of their injury were first admitted to a level III hospital and needed to be transferred later. In 7% of patients two additional mistakes and in 4% of patients more than two mistakes in the triage were noted. On the other hand, there are records of patients who were considered to be only slightly injured but received invasive treatment. Preclinical intubation and mechanical ventilation was not performed in 16.5% although the severity of injury clearly demanded it. A thoracic drain tube was not positioned in 38% of patients suffering from severe thoracic trauma (AISThorax > or = 4). Insufficient application of resuscitation volume (< 2500 ml on admission) was evident in 17% of all documented patients.

According to our results, the initial evaluation of severity of injury is still a major problem and leads to wrong decisions for treatment. Although the qualification of ambulance physicians has been standardized for some years, there are still clear deficits in the preclinical management of trauma patients that need to be targeted.

I continue to try to avoid the ER if possible - it is a dangerous place.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nealhe,

It is saying amongst people in medicine depending on where you live and the access to the type of facilities nearby. After 5? 6? 7? all the docs and staff go home. If you get in a trauma after 5 unless you have a staffed trauma center nearby people are going to have to get paged in. Wouldn't you rather have a team already assembled and waiting for you at the hospital? Take your example of Cardiac Arrest. Generally you are dealing with EPs, well if an EP isn't there well maybe a Cardiologist or Cardiac Surgeon is around and will suffice but it is not their specialty. In simple terms, do you take your BMW to the Honda shop to get fixed? Could they fix a relatively trivial thing??? prob, but maybe they don't have the part or technique to be able to do something more complicated. That is why they sometimes say it is best to get injured/sick during working hours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That is why they sometimes say it is best to get injured/sick during working hours.

A corollary of this law is that one should play during working hours. Now there's an idea...
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Frenchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There won't be a lot of dissension on that one except for the bosses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because it makes my mom feel better.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you kidding me??? You seriously are attcking my financial situation because i use a road ID and chose to job search at a coffee shop with free internet and sometimes treated myself to a cappuccino?? which btw is one of the cheapest options on the menu. I'm amazed at the lengths some will go to to keep from admitting someone with a different oppinion might have a valid point a governemnt ID does not instantly provide emergency contact info, so this is an easy way to carry it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's not saving my life, it's just a easy way for them to call my wife to collect my body.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of you bring valid points. When the weather clears and I am outside I will fabricate some sort of simple ID and stick it in my helmet, back pocket, or something.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While cycling - I was hit by a dump truck. 4 p.m. on a Monday.

No I.D. - nothing. Concussion and broken bones. State Trooper luckily rolled up seconds after the impact. Called for helicopter before getting out of his car.

I Somehow managed to tell EMT's my name and wife's name. State troopers went knocking on my door (20-25 min drive from accident), nobody home. Knocked on multiple neighbors doors, when finally found someone home...was told my wife worked at "x", when in fact she now worked at "y". Needless to say...they eventually found her, but she would have been notified much sooner if I had some ID with me.

I now carry a Road ID tag in my saddle bag (gift from wife & kids). I also have a piece of paper with same info on it in the same bag for overkill.
The EMT's told me that they always look there when dealing with a down cyclist.
(I finally got to ride in a helicopter, and I don't remember a damn second of it)

Another option, get a pet dog tag and imprint it with vital info. Available at pet stores on the cheap (maybe Wal-mart as well)
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Road ID Bracelet Is trending more towards fashion (Look at me!! i have a Road ID bracelet I am hardcore!!) and less towards practicality.

I wear the dogtag version. Obviously, I am doing something wrong. Do I need to wear my dogtag OUTSIDE my jersey so people can see that I am hardcore?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will it save your life? Well, unless you have some weird medical condition, no--it probably will not literally save your life.

BUT if you include the right info, it will make the lives/jobs/decisions of all those around you--your family/loved ones, your doc, nurses, EMTS/record keepers etc etc etc EASIER in a time of trauma and chaos. And those folks WILL be saving your life (or making major decisions for you). I don't know, I tend to want to reduce the burdens on those types of folks as much as possible to best benefit their clear and quick thinking in regards to my life saving. But that's just me.

It's an inexpensive gewgaw that could make life much easier and have a positive effect. Why NOT carry it?

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not Levi or Bobke, and I do not work for RoadID....

My wife and I each have two RoadDs. One is attached to the back of our commuter helmets, so we never forget it, and the other is used when we run and/or bike train.

I'm quite ok with the nominal expense and annual (medical) profile subscription; I have KNA but my wife is allergic to sulfa drugs. This kind of info is not on a DL, etc.

I agree with the above posts that mobile phones are eSily broken and often have screen locks.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, there is one specific way my RoadID may save my life. I have the red ankle one which also has a strip of reflective tape on it. It is quite possible that someday an inattentive driver may just catch a glimpse out of the corner of their eye of that red thing bobbing up and down and that may be just enough to keep him from hitting me. Heck, the thing may already have saved my life 2 or 3 times and I don't even know it. Also, if I have a mechanical and get stuck riding the last few miles home after sunset, at least I will have one reflective thing on me.

I used to have my name and phone in my helmet and I carry my phone but the helmet writing got sweat smeerred pretty quick and I'm really bad about fixing it. Just about every crash I have ever seen that was bad enough to hurt someone managed to empty their jersey pockets so a phone is not a very reliable emergency ID IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still trying to figure out what ID's have a space to write other info on them and are made with a material that makes it simple to write on them and have it stay. In my nearly 24 years of legal driving I have never had an ID (license, college ID, work ID) that you can do this with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next