Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Road ID, Why? [Doitagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
3) ER people don't go through peoples phones to find contact info, the police might after you are dead.

Um, yes they do. All the time. They even write them down as soon as they find them just in case the cell phone battery dies. Sure, the Doc is not looking at the phone - nurses and other staff sure as hell do.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's why:

My best friend was Michael R. Rabe. He was Vice President of Racing for the Wolverine Sports Club, one of the largest and the nation's second oldest cycling club.

Rabe, as he preferred to be called, was my best friend of well over ten years. An odd fellow- not unlike myself, but the very finest of men. He taught cycling to junior cyclists, built cyclocross training courses. He and I would work late into the night at my store.

One night, before the annual Willow Time Trial at Willow Creek Meteopark, he came to the shop to prepare his time trial bike and test the fit of some aero helmets he had just received from his sponsor.

It got dark, we closed the shop. He began to leave for the 6.5 mile ride home on his time trial bike after tuning it up at the shop all day. Our friend and Felt rep, Dave Koesel (SuperDave on this forum) offered him a ride home- that he could put his bike on SuperDave's roof rack. Rabe decided to ride home.

The next morning Rabe didn't show up at the time trial. He was supposed to pick up Colin McMahon, one of our juniors, but he never showed. I got a call that the local news was reporting an unidentified "John Doe" cyclist killed the night before by a drunk driver on Ann Arbor Trail.

I am not a religious person. My store was still closed. It was early. I remember distinctly- where I was, which direction I was facing. I knelt down on the floor and asked God to not let it be my friend Michael R. Rabe. But apparently God had other ideas because the dead man was my best friend, Michael R. Rabe. It took almost 24 hours to identify him. I found out when a friend of my mine, Chip Kulikowski, a Dearborn Police Officer, verified that Rabe's brother had made positive I.D. Of his body.

Not much could have been done to make the situation better, an ID bracelet wouldn't have saved Rabe. It would have helped the police and EMT's at least identify the victim. It would have given us a little peace or decency surrounding Rabe's death.

I have also thought that, God being the reasonable fellow he is, that had he heard one of the very few prayers I ever made in my life, and then seeing Rabe's name on something- anything, perhaps he would have given me a break and not taken my best friend. Probably not, bit I'll never know.

So now, instead of having some type of dignity to the loss of my friend I have to craft childish fairy tales to cope with it, when it could have been a whole lot easier, if not less hurtful.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although it really hasn't been said specifically; the point is that to have some sort of ID that provides important (whatever that means to you) information in case of an accident. If you trust your cell phone; great, but I know that many of them basically die if they get wet and I don't know how rugged they would be in any kind of an impact type accident. I believe that there are other versions of a Road ID type "device"; Road ID, however is arguably the most well known. They do give back to the sport in some ways (free bibs and discount coupons to RD's).
I think the real point is to maximize your chances of making it through an accident by getting as much information to the people immediately in charge of saving your life. Make your own, buy a competitor's version, trust that your cell phone will survive; just do something that will help others help you if needed.

BTW: There is a strong possibility that most of us have spent far greater amounts of money for things that are really nothing more than "trendy".
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your real ID tells people your name and address, not how to contact your family. Simplicity is having something durable with that information on you.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [bnhsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the point is that to have some sort of ID that provides important (whatever that means to you) information in case of an accident

That is the thing, I cannot see, in my case specifically, what information I need conveyed to any emergency person other than 'Save me!'.

Don't take my thread the wrong way. I take cycling safety very seriously - I just don't see how it would help in an accident.

Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
3) ER people don't go through peoples phones to find contact info, the police might after you are dead.

Um, yes they do. All the time. They even write them down as soon as they find them just in case the cell phone battery dies. Sure, the Doc is not looking at the phone - nurses and other staff sure as hell do.

One of my best friends is an ER doc and told me they do not unless they have no other way of finding info on the person. He also said that most of the time they can't access the info because of passwords and locks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the point is that to have some sort of ID that provides important (whatever that means to you) information in case of an accident

That is the thing, I cannot see, in my case specifically, what information I need conveyed to any emergency person other than 'Save me!'.

Don't take my thread the wrong way. I take cycling safety very seriously - I just don't see how it would help in an accident.

That is b/c you do not want to see it. You have been given a plethora or reasons for the Road ID. You are choosing to ignore all of them. For less than you will spend on nutrition for one of your century rides, you get piece of mind.

As someone who has been hit twice (once by a minivan at 65 mph), I never ride w/o it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

[sarcasm] yes, because of course EMTs are trained to stop all life saving activities until they've had a chat with your ma[/sarcasm]

why do we feed trolls?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how giving free bibs classifies as giving - it is advertising is it not? And how about about just carrying your regular standard issue Government ID???? What happens if you cross a police check point / border patrol agent and they ask for your ID? Or you get involved in a road rage accident and you report it and the police want your ID??? Just carry your Government ID. Write any additional information on it. For those super-paranoid carry both your Road ID and your Government ID but don't forget to stop by your local hospital for an ICD as well - those have actually been known to save lives.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only wear ID so ER staff can contact my family, because I agree, it sure as heck isn't going to do a thing to save my life.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I live in South East Michigan. My father grew up in Dearborn and was a Wolverine for many years back in the day. Michael Rabe's story is certainly a tragedy. Hopefully you do not take this thread as me not taking cycling safety seriously.

However, it would seem from your response that such an ID badge would have been more for you than him. It would have given you peace of mind, not saved his life, unfortunately.

So in this case, I can understand why loved ones would want to buy me something like this. My problem is that the Road ID is sometimes marketed as 'Saving lives'. For most, it could never do that - just serve as peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Important; in your case may just your parent's name and phone number (besides your own); especially if there are no noteworthy medical conditions.
I'm not trying to make a case for Road ID; but I think it is important that there is a fairly durable way of providing information to others if you can't.
Maybe Chip (R10C) can add something here but I would think that it is possible that your helmet could be misplaced (temporarily or permanently) in the process of transferring you to an ER (if that is the only location for your ID).
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is a government ID not durable??? I have one for 14 years and it looks brand spankin' new - except for obviously the picture that is? Put a label on the back with additional info - then take a piece of packing tape and wrap it once and presto - ROAD ID on STEROIDS. In the future this will all be solved by being chipped. What you are suggesting is redundant and WASTEFUL. There is nothing simple about it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many of the comments imply Road IDs are most applicable to people who are married. On the contrary, I bought my first one when I was single - and specifically BECAUSE I was single. I lived alone in Ohio at the time and the rest of my family was all out of state. It occured to me that if I went out for a ride on Friday after work and ended up in the ER without ID, it would easily be Monday morning before anyone local even realized I was MIA. Theres just no way anyone would have known to call my family and 72 hours is just entirely too long for EMS/hospital people to trying to figure out who the hell I am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right- it would have been for the people he left behind.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

As someone who has been hit twice (once by a minivan at 65 mph), I never ride w/o it.

Sorry to hear that you have been in accidents on your bike, but I have to ask, did the RoadID assist in any way during either ordeal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Jon h and All,

I carry my drivers license picture ID (mainly to get on Camp Pendleton), my medical insurance card, $35 or $40, a couple of paper towels, pepper spray and a cell phone.

But none of that has my blood type, allergies (penecillin and ibuprofen), which on second thought would be helpful in an emergency. Maybe I will buy or make a Road ID.

It would be kind of cool if Road ID had a chip in it similar to LoJack:

http://www.lojack.com/...net/Pages/index.aspx

Upon enrollment in the SafetyNet™ Service, your loved one is outfitted with a SafetyNet Bracelet that may be worn on his or her wrist or ankle. Should your loved one go missing, local law enforcement and public safety agencies who are trained and certified on electronic search and rescue procedures will use digital LoJack Search and Rescue Receivers to track the Radio Frequency signal being emitted from the SafetyNet Bracelet on your loved one’s wrist or ankle. Once your loved one is located, he or she can be rescued and returned to you.

For cyclists the LoJack could be outfitted with an accelerometer to start chirping if an impact is sensed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer

Single- and multi-axis models are available to detect magnitude and direction of the acceleration as a vector quantity, and can be used to sense orientation, acceleration, vibration shock, and falling. Micromachined accelerometers are increasingly present in portable electronic devices and video game controllers, to detect the position of the device or provide for game input.

In the event of a serious impact it could notify the Neptune Society:

http://www.neptunesociety.com/

And on a lighter note - Road ID might also be useful if you are kidnapped so it could be sent for ransom ID instead of some of your fingers.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Sorry to hear that you have been in accidents on your bike, but I have to ask, did the RoadID assist in any way during either ordeal?

Blood type and no allergies helped out the first responders. Name and contact information for wife got her to the ER to make the medical decisions.

Cell phone was in saddle bag. Bike did not follow me to the hospital. Cell would have been useless.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A helmet is almost always transported with the patient. It is a clear indicator of head trauma. It is NOT the best case, thus I never ever leave on my bike with out my "bike wallet" that has an ID, a few bucks and a credit card. Road ID is just not the end all, it certainly is better than nothing. It is NOT positive ID in any case, period. A drivers license or state ID on the other hand can be used in a medical environment for positive ID. From there I also have a living will on file with three Rockford hospitals, one in Freeport, two in Crystal Lake and one in Barrington.

Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your way may work, but it is ]ot any less redundant or wasteful. Get off your high horse. I think it would be difficult to write that info on my state's license, but if there's room on your state's id and you want to do it to save a couple bucks, then great. To each his own. Personally, it seems like a PITA to have to pull out my ID every time i run or ride, not to mention having to carry it. Just strapping a wristband/ankleband on is simple and easy for a first responder to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now we are talking benefits... Real benefits. As it stands the *benefits* provided by Road ID are just not worth it. Lo Jack tracking and crash detection - well that changes the ball-game. Nealhe I think you should run with this idea and call it LIFE ID. Use Kickstarter.com to get the project funded and rolling.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem solved.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9b3_1287614057

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read my other post, read RC10's post you should be carrying your ID anyways. There are plenty of reasons to carry it including actual photo verification or for actual matters with law enforcement, border patrol etc. No high-horse sir, just common sense.

Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Too late for you! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shit eh!

Quote Reply

Prev Next