Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s5100e] [ In reply to ]

s5100e wrote:
Kickr wrote:
s5100e wrote:
I did a quick search an have not seen anything on this topic. Deceuninck is selling the Alaphilippe replica, https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/...b0-9f03-c2da5ee9556c

I think others have as well... personally I think it is weird, I would not wear one.

I used to be deameant to d set against it, but honestly now see it as a fan item show interest and allegiance. Just like others bought and wore Banesto gear during the Indurain years, or the USPS kit during the height of Lance...it's just a way for the casual bike rider to signal who they like and own a bit of coolness.

That said, if any one actually racing in Cat 1 through 5 showed up at a race in rainbows, they'd get the boot anyway, because at that point the stripes mean something different. But riding on the weekend with the local group - fill your boots. I'd be happy to see more than the same 3 kits everyone has honestly.

I guess my way of thinking may be different than most and it may change through this discussion, I am not that strongly aligned to one side or the other. However, to my way of thinking there is a difference between wearing a team replica jersey which is clear and obvious you support the team as a fan, vs wearing a jersey that is " the pinnacle of that sport" that some individual earned.. unless you are a super fan you probably don't know who the current jersey wearer is anyhow at which point it is just a fashion statement?

Anyhow I see the point of each to their own and if wearing the rainbow stripes floats your boat go for it, then again if wearing an Olympic gold medal replica around your neck feels right so be it.

I don’t own one but like that jersey....but After 60 seconds of riding with me, it will be pretty obvious I paid for the jersey and it was not gifted to me it after my WC triumph. Lighten up. News flash-we ALL look completely ridiculous in biking outfits. The difference in the level of absurdity between wearing a WC jersey and one bought on Castelli’s website is non-existent. If you don’t think you look ridiculous in your non-WC kit, actually look at yourself in the mirror before your next ride.....if you still don’t think you look ridiculous, you need a reality check.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 11, 21 13:04

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

DFW_Tri wrote:
News flash-we ALL look completely ridiculous in biking outfits.

Bikes? Ehhhh, the 4/5 crowd can look pretty Fred like. I'm a smaller dude. I have the weird "rods in your calves" look going on and wear a medium in most kit. Even then, for an all rounder I'm probably 10lbs heavier than a pro would be at my height.

I'd say if you're not a Cat 3 or faster you probably don't look as much like a pro cyclist as you dream you do. Haha.

Closest I look is probably on the TT bike. That's also the MOST ridiculous I look. Geez. Poc Tempor is stupid fast for my fit, but man is it uggggllllyyyy.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [Morelock] [ In reply to ]

Morelock wrote:
When I was a young whipper snapper just getting started in triathlon, we had a local Wednesday night 10mi TT (those were the days)

Being a triathlete I only had sleeveless tops, so in an attempt to not look like an idiot I jumped on ebay and tried to find a cheap skinsuit.

The problem... all the cheap ones were replica's from CSC, HTC, Discovery, etc... and of course I didn't want to look like a poser. Finally, I found this generic "USA" looking skinsuit. Not a stars and bars kit, just a good old red/blue/star "USA" kit. Didn't look like anything anyone was wearing. Great, purchased. It actually fit me pretty well too.

So I show up, get kitted up and get ready to go, lining up. My minute man is this older gentleman, introduces himself as Kent. He comments on how much he likes my skinsuit and smiles.

So not even to the turnaround this fella comes flying by me like I'm standing still... he's riding on some stupid level... obviously crushes everyone there.

So, small talk with one of the guys afterwards as we're packing the car, I mention how fast that guy was going. "Oh yeah, that's Kent." At this point I feel like that should mean something to me so I inquire "Kent who?" To which he tells me to go home and google "Bostisaurus."

So yeah, turns out that skinsuit was a copy of the one USA wore in the 96 olympics, and the older gentleman was Kent Bostick :D and all my attempts at not looking like a poser went extremely well.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. You were respectful. I'm sure Mr. Bostick had no issue.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]

ThailandUltras wrote:

Pretty broad generalization there, huh? "They".... While I agree that the off-road scene is more laid back, there are all kinds of cool fun road runners and cyclists out there.[/quote]
Group stereotypes aren't just created out of thin air, generally they are created for a reason and roadies have well and truly earned the stereotype of being elitist dicks. Triathlon "teams" and triathletes at training camps are starting to give roadies a run for their money.
.[/quote]
Thank goodness! Roadie rules can shove their rulebooks up their tight asses. I've been called out on group rides for penny ante bullshit. Backing it up by total domination and destruction is wonderful. There need to be more free independent thinking non-conformist folks around cycling. It goes for triathlon as well.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]

burnthesheep wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Bikes? Ehhhh, the 4/5 crowd can look pretty Fred like. I'm a smaller dude. I have the weird "rods in your calves" look going on and wear a medium in most kit. Even then, for an all rounder I'm probably 10lbs heavier than a pro would be at my height.

I'd say if you're not a Cat 3 or faster you probably don't look as much like a pro cyclist as you dream you do. Haha.

Closest I look is probably on the TT bike. That's also the MOST ridiculous I look. Geez. Poc Tempor is stupid fast for my fit, but man is it uggggllllyyyy.

I was certainly including pro cyclists amongst those who look ridiculous. Just because they may have less
Fat doesn’t mean they look good in skin tight clothing and goofy helmets.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

DFW_Tri wrote:

I was certainly including pro cyclists amongst those who look ridiculous. Just because they may have less

I think this may be why there is such a market for retro bike kit. Less skin tight, less intentional looking, possibly even no helmet.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]

burnthesheep wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I think this may be why there is such a market for retro bike kit. Less skin tight, less intentional looking, possibly even no helmet.

I think you are missing the point-biking outfits, whether loose, tight, retro, new, cool, not cool, pro team kit, local team kit, picture of Reese’s peanut butter cup etc all look stupid. I’m fine with it. I full embrace it. But I fully acknowledge the absurdity of it all.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s5100e] [ In reply to ]

s5100e wrote:
I did a quick search an have not seen anything on this topic. Deceuninck is selling the Alaphilippe replica, https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/...b0-9f03-c2da5ee9556c

I think others have as well... personally I think it is weird, I would not wear one.

You probably also subscribe to the idea that TT bikes aren't welcome on club rides. Reminds me of the roadie rules guy that I bury every WNW. Lmao. People can wear what they want and enjoy it. They owe no explanation to you or any other pretentious douche.

DFW_Tri wrote:
I think you are missing the point-biking outfits, whether loose, tight, retro, new, cool, not cool, pro team kit, local team kit, picture of Reese’s peanut butter cup etc all look stupid. I’m fine with it. I full embrace it. But I fully acknowledge the absurdity of it all.

That's why mo 4th event is: Get Out of Kit ASAP after the race! More so in the 90's and early 00's, when briefs were what I was racing in.

I've been on both sides of this.

My wife (at the time) bought me a polka-dot jersey as a gift, knowing that I loved the Tour, particularly the mountain stages, and that the race for that jersey was interesting to me. It was a very thoughtful gift.

I couldn't wear it for the longest time. I felt like it was inappropriate, kind of like a "stolen valor" situation.

Then, literally years later, I thought, "You know, they sell them for a reason. And I bet it's quite visible for drivers."

I started to wear it.

The only comments that I got from other cyclists were about a shared love of the the Tour, recalling great riders who won the jersey or memorable stages when riders took it through long breakaways, etc. It never led to an uncomfortable conversation or unfortunate comment.

DFW_Tri wrote:

I don't know, my wife told me yesterday that I look good in my cycling kit...she said everyone else looks weird, but I look handsome. So there you go. ;)

To the original point of the thread, what a dumb idea that fans/participants of a sport shouldn't wear gear from their sport! I can't think of any other sport that gets so hung up on this.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]

Hah no, he's a good dude besides being a beast!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]

Raw Vegan wrote:
s5100e wrote:

You probably also subscribe to the idea that TT bikes aren't welcome on club rides. Reminds me of the roadie rules guy that I bury every WNW. Lmao. People can wear what they want and enjoy it. They owe no explanation to you or any other pretentious douche.

Sounds like you fit in very well on your ride.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]

carlosflanders wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:
s5100e wrote:

Sounds like you fit in very well on your ride.

I'm not there to fit in. I'm there to ride hard and have fun with my friends. We're not there for the structure and spandex police.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
s5100e wrote:
interesting point, to paraphrase, one is buying the jersey from a team so the teams are making money and one is therefore supporting the team. I can buy that argument. I find it interesting how people conflate the idea that there is a congruence between being elitist, and not thinking that wearing a champion's jersey is ok. There are far more nuances to the argument than that.

I have a British & Irish Lions Performance Kit, I have a US Eagles Kit, I have an All Blacks kit. I have previously worn these three all too Rugby Practice and at bars when watching games.

You were doing SOO well. Until you said you had a New Zealand shirt.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]

MadTownTRI wrote:
Quote:
I have never in 5 years riding a bike met somebody purposely trying to pull one over on folks that they're actually the world champ, national champ, or king/queen of the mountains. Never.
It's this fandom that drives sport in positive directions.
It's the judgmental douchey stuff like ripping on guys for wearing team kit or polka dots on group rides that drives sport in negative directions

100% agree.

WC jersey is a little different than wearing a regular game jersey. Its more like wearing a replica Masters green jacket on the golf course. Or if you bought a replica superbowl ring.

People can do what they want and I agree with the fan angle and I'm not going to think any less of someone for wearing a regular team jersey or team colors. But wearing a WC jersey just seems a bit over the top, its not like I would comment on it (tell someone it's lame) but I would conclude they are kind of a doofus or at least that they've taken their man crush too far.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]

Wearing a uci champ shirt isn't like getting an m for tattoo before entering any tri

I wonder how many 'rules' you could break in one shirt?

A yellow shirt, with champ stripes around the torso, olympic hoops on across the back and chest, livestrong band on the sleeve ....

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:
There's a few things I dont do in sports and sports gear:

-I dont as a mid 30's guy wear team sport jerseys to sporting events or watch parties.
-I dont bring a ball glove to a baseball game anymore
-i dont ask for autographs
-either of those rules are "allowed" to be broken if said guy is a dad of a kid....that's a fun ass bonding experience
-i dont wear WC / team kits of teams I never rode for.

But that's just me and I get people will do what they are going to do. So if it gets them out to a group ride and experiencing the fun in sports, by all means.....I just won't do it, and I may think it's "wrong" but again it's just my personal take (that I keep to myself). I'll give them a kudos for coming out and enjoying the sport regardless.

Not that young, but with you on that. Would never wear a personalized piece of clothing that is specifically associated with another person.

Team kit, sponsor stickers, small private label, all good.
But to walk around with someone else’s name (or stripes) on the back?
I am not that person, and I really don’t want to be in their shoes (or clothes), even if I respect their accomplishments.
To me it’s part of having my own identity.
Last edited by: windschatten: Feb 11, 21 20:01

DFW_Tri wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Hey! I have a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup jersey! And you're right, no matter if you're a pro or not, you look goofy in bike clothing. The only people who don't think that are other cyclists.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]

tri_yoda wrote:
WC jersey is a little different than wearing a regular game jersey. Its more like wearing a replica Masters green jacket on the golf course. Or if you bought a replica superbowl ring.

Professional golfers don't wear sportcoats out on the course during a round. Professional football players don't wear big gaudy rings on the field for games. Both of those analogies fall flat.

This is much more akin to wearing a Lebron jersey or a Mahomes jersey to a pickup game than either of those things.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [davearm] [ In reply to ]

Why would that ever be a problem? When I see a fat middle-aged man In a WC jersey we all know it's just a jersey and also he would never pretend to be a WC!

The more merch they can sell the better! Some times my fiancee wears an old ironman bag to the supermarket, is that also not ok as she has never done one?
Noone cares except those that feel their own achievement is getting diminished.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [lassekk] [ In reply to ]

I don't see any problem here.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]

tri_yoda wrote:

People can do what they want and I agree with the fan angle and I'm not going to think any less of someone for wearing a regular team jersey or team colors. But wearing a WC jersey just seems a bit over the top, its not like I would comment on it (tell someone it's lame) but I would conclude they are kind of a doofus or at least that they've taken their man crush too far.

Your analogy doesn't work. The UCI World Champion is awarded a Gold Medal. Which is what the green jacket is or the super bowl ring is.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

DFW_Tri wrote:
Lighten up. News flash-we ALL look completely ridiculous in biking outfits. The difference in the level of absurdity between wearing a WC jersey and one bought on Castelli’s website is non-existent. If you don’t think you look ridiculous in your non-WC kit, actually look at yourself in the mirror before your next ride.....if you still don’t think you look ridiculous, you need a reality check.

^This

Haha. Awesome. I don't even need to look in mirror. Wife is relentless.

I think we seem to have consensus, forget about it and wear what you like... that works!
so I did a quick search an have not seen anything on this topic. Deceuninck is selling the Alaphilippe replica, https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/...b0-9f03-c2da5ee9556c
I think others have as well...so now I think it is each to their own, and that is fine.

Prev Next